Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
For the price of one mounted map set you could get a sheet of plexiglass that works with every single map.

Obfuscation fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just want USE, not the mounted map :argh:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Obfuscation posted:

For the price of one mounted map set you could get a sheet of plexiglass that works every single map.
You can't fold a sheet of plexiglass :colbert:

Also they look good :v:

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

In case anyone missed the update, Cuba Libre, Distant Plain, and Falling Sky begin shipping April 27:

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/...aid=fzNxBIwxul4

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

CaptainRightful posted:

In case anyone missed the update, Cuba Libre, Distant Plain, and Falling Sky begin shipping April 27:

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/...aid=fzNxBIwxul4
Shame I won't be able to find a copy of Falling Sky before the weekend of the 30th, when I'm going to a gaming convention.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Showed my nonwargamer friend (he plays euros and stuff though) the map from The US Civil War in a youtube video and he says 'I would play that game' and now I think I'm going to be buying yet another game :negative:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
FYI Manoeuvre is on sale right now for only $29.00. It's a good, light game that you can use to introduce wargaming to non-wargamers. Again, it's very light, but a lot of fun.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I read up on Pendragon and I can clearly see why everyone wants it. Very interesting setting and approach to post-Roman Britain.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

kalthir posted:

That seems a bit excessive, even for VQ. Did you have a full complement of players?

Yeah, we had six players, and none of us had played before. I think we were really intent on getting rules wholly right, but there are so many drat exceptions in the ruleset (and no index! god whhyyy fuuuuck) that it became an impossible task on our first play.

Riso posted:

I read up on Pendragon and I can clearly see why everyone wants it. Very interesting setting and approach to post-Roman Britain.

I've played the current playtest version, and I like it a lot, especially because the Saxons and Scotti factions feel completely unlike any other COIN factions.

Caedar fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 18, 2016

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Caedar posted:

I've played the current playtest version [of Pendragon], and I like it a lot, especially because the Saxons and Scotti factions feel completely unlike any other COIN factions.

Is it closer to CL or FitL as far as complexity? I'm really trying to sneak some COIN in on my normal BG group. If CL goes over well, I'd like to move on to this or Falling Skies.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Oldstench posted:

Is it closer to CL or FitL as far as complexity? I'm really trying to sneak some COIN in on my normal BG group. If CL goes over well, I'd like to move on to this or Falling Skies.

Pendragon most likely won't ship until this time next year, so your group has plenty of time to wrap their heads around Cuba Libre (and Falling Sky, too).

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

CaptainRightful posted:

Pendragon most likely won't ship until this time next year, so your group has plenty of time to wrap their heads around Cuba Libre (and Falling Sky, too).

You don't know my group.

e: I win more than 50% of the time, so the bar is really low.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

I just want USE, not the mounted map :argh:

I just did my part, fellow grognard, and P500'd this bad boy, so you're that much closer now!

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Oldstench posted:

Definitely closer to FitL, although I admittedly haven't played FitL, only CL, ADP, and LoD. Here are some of the big changes that add and reduce its complexity.

More complex:
Battles. While the battles themselves are deterministic, there's a nondeterministic pre-battle phase that takes into account terrain and retreats, there's an initiative order for different types of units dealing damage, and there's a siege mechanic. I think it flows pretty smoothly, and the math might even be less confusing than LoD's, but it's more complex than the average COIN, certainly.
Government factions. As Roman rule breaks down over the course of play, the two government-ish factions (Civitates and Dux) will change drastically in how they interact. At first, they are tightly linked in how they use resources and how they control space, but over time they become just about completely independent. They also have vastly different military and logistical capabilities, but they'll need to work together (and against each other!) to win. They also have crap-tons of territory to worry about—that's kind of the point: they have too much territory to reliably defend against the raiders, and they'll be crumbling over time. Also, the Dux only have units that can get perma-killed. (!!!) They're very deep, and I think new players will find them difficult to understand.

Less complex:
Lines of Communication. There are none in Pendragon. Instead, there are roads, but only one faction can use them, and they're more intuitive than LoCs.
Raider factions. Though I see a lot of room for subtle play, the Scotti and Saxons' goals are pretty straightforward—raid, get paid, and settle—and they don't start with a lot of regions to worry about. This is by no means a criticism; I think they're a lot of fun to play, and they'll be fairly easy for new players to pick up.

Trade-off:
Support and Opposition. This mechanic is gone. It's replaced by Prosperity, which represents an area's accumulated—well—prosperity. The raiders are out to take it and turn it into renown, which is a victory condition and/or resource for them. It's about equally as fiddly, since population still matters for how much Prosperity a place can have, but it might be a little more straightforward on the balance.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Oldstench posted:

From the horses mouth:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1ddb05b3/27

Volko Ruhnke posted:

Yes, I that's true (about "purity") in a couple ways:

Pendragon is more at Fire in the Lake's level of complexity, while [Falling Sky] is more streamlined and closer to the complexity of Cuba Libre. So Pendragon has more room for thematic elements.

Second, as a further volume in the Series, Pendragon naturally departs further still from the original form.

I think folks are really going to like how much original is going on in this design. vfr

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Caedar posted:

Pendragon info

Sounds cool. Two of the things I had heard of that interested me were that the Dux ability to recover their lost forces decreased over time but they also acquired permanent 'vp' from battles through their own renown (building up their legend) and that the Dux could supplement their forces by hiring the settled raiders as auxiliaries, are those a thing or was I just hallucinating?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Hell yeah, just scored an in shrink copy of Labyrinth for $55. It's been going for ridiculous prices on BGG/eBay (who the hell would pay over 100 bucks for this?)

I know opinions are mixed on the game, but it's one I've always wanted to play solo, which I feel like the randomness would help out with. And there's an expansion coming out!

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Ithle01 posted:

Sounds cool. Two of the things I had heard of that interested me were that the Dux ability to recover their lost forces decreased over time but they also acquired permanent 'vp' from battles through their own renown (building up their legend) and that the Dux could supplement their forces by hiring the settled raiders as auxiliaries, are those a thing or was I just hallucinating?

Yup, the Dux's victory conditions are Prosperity + Prestige until Fragmentation (the political state furthest away from Roman rule), when it changes to Control + Prestige. You basically win Prestige by winning battles and lose it by losing battles. Otherwise there are very few ways to reduce Prestige, and it's always a slow process.

And yes, both the Civitates and Dux can hire raiders as auxiliaries, foederati, which are controlled by the Civitates/Dux unless they're in a space without any Civitates/Dux units and with the corresponding raider faction's units, at which time they flip to the raider faction.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

That Pendragon thread has me really interested now. I like the idea of raiders entering and leaving the map and it's kind of cute to see a pile of cubes "carrying off" some other cubes.

But I hope the final map isn't quite so ugly as that playtest one. There must be a better way to indicate those roadways.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Caedar posted:

Yup, the Dux's victory conditions are Prosperity + Prestige until Fragmentation (the political state furthest away from Roman rule), when it changes to Control + Prestige. You basically win Prestige by winning battles and lose it by losing battles. Otherwise there are very few ways to reduce Prestige, and it's always a slow process.

And yes, both the Civitates and Dux can hire raiders as auxiliaries, foederati, which are controlled by the Civitates/Dux unless they're in a space without any Civitates/Dux units and with the corresponding raider faction's units, at which time they flip to the raider faction.

Awesome, thanks.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
I soloed SCS: The Mighty Endeavor. And I'm going to say I was thoroughly dissapointed. It just felt soo... gamey and the decisions were really uninteresting. Plus, the stupid CRT is swingy as gently caress.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

tomdidiot posted:

I soloed SCS: The Mighty Endeavor. And I'm going to say I was thoroughly dissapointed. It just felt soo... gamey and the decisions were really uninteresting. Plus, the stupid CRT is swingy as gently caress.
Play with me next wednesday! We can do RE!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Curt Schilling, the guy responsible for saving ASL, was just fired from ESPN for being anti-trans.

Well, that's your wargaming news for the day.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

COOL CORN posted:

Curt Schilling, the guy responsible for saving ASL, was just fired from ESPN for being anti-trans.

Well, that's your wargaming news for the day.

Wait how was he related to asl

He destroyed rhode island's game development, but...

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

silvergoose posted:

Wait how was he related to asl

He destroyed rhode island's game development, but...

Curt Schilling is a co partner at Multiman Publishing (MMP) which is the company that bought the rights to publish ASL stuff from Hasbro in the late 90s.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Curt Schilling is a co partner at Multiman Publishing (MMP) which is the company that bought the rights to publish ASL stuff from Hasbro in the late 90s.

The more you know!

Being from around Boston, I knew he was a bit of a nerd, but didn't know that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah, from what I understand, Curt Schilling was a huge fan of ASL, so he put a lot of the money into initially porting it over to MMP.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
As a non-american, I only ever heard of Schilling as the ASL guy so it was always funny when I saw him mentioned in other contexts. Throws balls for living, huh.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Obfuscation posted:

As a non-american, I only ever heard of Schilling as the ASL guy so it was always funny when I saw him mentioned in other contexts. Throws balls for living, huh.

Naw, used to throw balls for a living, catapulted Boston to a championship for the first time in many decades, retired, used his millions to start a videogame company and completely wrecked it and hosed over all his employees, got hired by ESPN to do sports commentary, and now got fired for being an rear end.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

silvergoose posted:

Naw, used to throw balls for a living, catapulted Boston to a championship for the first time in many decades, retired, used his millions to start a videogame company and completely wrecked it and hosed over all his employees, got hired by ESPN to do sports commentary, and now got fired for being an rear end.

Well, to be fair, he also completely wrecked and gently caress himself over as well. I mean, he's a guy who was making millions per year, that declared bankruptcy because of it.

And while someone of his status will always have a way to make a few hundred grand a year (I think, if he works at it), his real money making ability (throwing 90 mile per hour curve-balls) isn't coming back.

I actually recall an article by Schilling (I think in one of the ASL publications) where I actually thought he was memorably humble. He more or less said, the only reason he was a multimillionaire and not some schlub was because god gave him an arm that could throw 90 mile per hour curve-balls.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

So I just listened to the Drive Thru playthrough of Cuba Libre since it's shipping next week. As always, his playthrough is pretty helpful because he makes few mistakes and also doesn't get too hung up with AP.

But I find it sad when wargamers know so little about history. He casually refers to Castro a few times as "evil", but then hems and haws about Batista: "I don't know much about it, but I assume he was corrupt. That's a horrible thing to say, but he was probably corrupt as hell." Then he says the treatment of Lansky "is kind of a distorted view of the common man" who doesn't care about "ideology" and just wants to make money, adding a footnote, "Granted, they're criminals, but...". He likes the treatment of the Syndicate because it gets beyond two opposing ideologies who "don't really help anybody, they're just vying for power."

You'd think that someone so intrigued by historical games (particularly complex political ones like the COINs) would want to dig into the actual history a bit more.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It's funny cause mechanically Batista is pretty obviously the most morally questionable of the governments with his Reprisals.

e: Hell you don't have to read history, just the playbook included in the game. The developers are pretty critical of the Castro regime but also emphasize that he got into power precisely because Batista was so loathsome you could easily drum up broad popular support against him (represented by M26 having the fastest rally of any insurgent faction.)

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 21, 2016

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I guess I'm not super surprised because wargamers tend not to be the most woke bunch but you have to not know a single thing about the region at ALL to not know that Batista is one of the most hated men to have walked the earth.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

CaptainRightful posted:

You'd think that someone so intrigued by historical games (particularly complex political ones like the COINs) would want to dig into the actual history a bit more.

I don't think that follows at all. When I learn something from a game I might remember it, but it rarely if ever causes me to dig into the history.

Impermanent posted:

I guess I'm not super surprised because wargamers tend not to be the most woke bunch but you have to not know a single thing about the region at ALL to not know that Batista is one of the most hated men to have walked the earth.

I suspect this is "the enemy of my enemy" kicking in.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Impermanent posted:

I guess I'm the opposite. I only pick areas I'm actually interested in to game. That's probably why Tekopo has never suceeded in geting me to try an ACW game; because I've never found myself drawn to that conflict.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Andean Abyss got me to buy and read a few books about Colombia and its war. I knew basically nothing about it before getting the game (US education, ha).

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

CaptainRightful posted:

So I just listened to the Drive Thru playthrough of Cuba Libre since it's shipping next week. As always, his playthrough is pretty helpful because he makes few mistakes and also doesn't get too hung up with AP.

Any other resources you found useful for this? I've been watching videos by The Late Night Gamer to teach myself how to solo the game, and while he didn't comment on it in the ways you've pointed out, I realise now how easy it would be to drop in comments like that there. I'll watch the Drive Thru one but I will just be thinking about the biased things he says!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The COIN games aren't as difficult to play as they look. The complexity is all in the strategy.
The card playing and such is rather forward.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah, COIN games boil down to "Wanna do what's on the card? If not, pick one of four things from this menu. The pick one of four things from THIS menu."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah, COIN games boil down to "Wanna do what's on the card? If not, pick one of four things from this menu. The pick one of four things from THIS menu."

Yeah I watched a youtube video where a teacher was having his students play Fire in the Lake in the classroom and giving an AAR at the end of the game. If he managed to get four high school kids to play through it without too much trouble, I can't imagine it's super difficult.