Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'm having trouble finding the entrance to Durlag's Labyrinth... where exactly is it?

I had the same problem someone posted a picture earlier. You gotta click to the left of the center stairwell on the first floor where the tourist are then when in the basement go north. It's weird.

Just beat the Demon guy apparently Greater Malaise or whatever it's called and cloud kill are easy mode.

Ugh gotta go to bed but don't wanna.

This is a fun game. Total Game Time : 78 Hours , Money spent 8 bucks.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

BTW what interface is that? The new Siege one? Also no one is going to point out you got some just normal guys loving face there? Is that your face.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
It's some guy's face I googled for the custom portrait of the gimmick ironman run I was doing.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
That's Joe Average, protagonist of my favorite gimmick from the most recent ironman thread.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Cythereal posted:

Chloe was one of the very first NPC mods, back before the modding community for the games coalesced, and I have never heard of anyone unironically liking her.

Has anyone documented the Chloe NPC mod, or bad NPC mods in general? Reading about here makes me want to see how bad it gets.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

Has anyone documented the Chloe NPC mod, or bad NPC mods in general? Reading about here makes me want to see how bad it gets.
There's some guy playing through all of Baldur's Gate with the BIG world pack or whatever which includes many, many bad mods on the Let's Play forum. It's a rough read, but I still think it can be entertaining.

Mzbundifund posted:

That's Joe Average, protagonist of my favorite gimmick from the most recent ironman thread.

I need to do this.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Man they nerfed the gently caress out of arrows in BG II, but bolts and bullets are unaffected. What gives?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I was going to say "high levels happened", but together with bolts and bullets being still effective I am not sure.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Slings are the only ranged option for half the classes, but crossbows I don't know. I'm unnerfing them, screw balance.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kavak posted:

Man they nerfed the gently caress out of arrows in BG II, but bolts and bullets are unaffected. What gives?
Archer class.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Mordaedil posted:

There's some guy playing through all of Baldur's Gate with the BIG world pack or whatever which includes many, many bad mods on the Let's Play forum. It's a rough read, but I still think it can be entertaining.

I need to do this.
Oh, you mean Vorgen's LP? I have been reading through that, and I like it. I've been trying to catch up, and I haven't gotten to the BG2 content yet.

Crip Towe
Sep 7, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Oh, you mean Vorgen's LP? I have been reading through that, and I like it. I've been trying to catch up, and I haven't gotten to the BG2 content yet.
He hasn't really either.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

That's the one. I stopped reading it a few years ago, was surprised to see it the other day and resumed reading it. Just got past the Cloakwood mines in it.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
So I finally picked a new party and got started. Today our plucky hero (Mage/Thief) is travelling with..

Dorn
Jaheira
Viconia
Minsc
Neera

My only worry is that Dorn is actually a little squishy, but with his damage I can't resist using him as a frontman. Also, I did Neera's quest where you go to rescue a Wild Mage to try to help her control her powers. The Thayvians that port in were a HORRIBLE fight, I got slaughtered a bunch of times before I ended up cheesing it with Fireball and Fear wands. I really need to get on with the story though, my party is level 4-5 and I haven't even done the Nashkel Mines yet.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

hahahaha yeah, i don't use that one. i cherry pick.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Hollismason posted:

Even Gibberling 3 stuff? What should I do then?

nah it depends on what mods you are using. anything text heavy will break stuff i think, mostly modded characters and poo poo. you can reinstall the mods after installing SoD and using the mod merger thing and if the mods are minor tweaks and items they should be okay but stuff like modded npcs and bg1 npc is gonna be broken for the rest of the bg1 playthrough but the items will be fine. your character and stuff will import fine over into SoD though. it's really anything that gets saved into the save file will which gets hosed if modded, such as modded store names and the like. those are fixable if you use near infinity and gently caress around with your save file if it really bugs you.

if your wanting to play sod i'd wait on buying it until you're right at the end of the game about to face the final boss and then install Sod, use the mod merger, reinstall your mods and you should be okay.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 21, 2016

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Guhhh, reading this thread really has me wanting to play Baldur's Gate again. How are the EE versions on tablets?

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
They're fantastic provided you have a nice, big screen and can handle not being able to rotate formations.

Remember, you can double tap to buy ammo in bulk on touchscreens!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Did the SoD changes to BG1EE break EEKeper? I can't get it to see my saves, for some reason. All I want to do is Keeper Khalid to Archer. :argh:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

SoD saves go in a different directory, so EEKeeper won't see them unless you point it at the /sodsave/ directory and check "Use Custom Save Location".

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

SoD saves go in a different directory, so EEKeeper won't see them unless you point it at the /sodsave/ directory and check "Use Custom Save Location".

I'm actually editing a BG1EE save, but checking the box and changing nothing else fixed it, so thanks!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

poor life choice posted:

Guhhh, reading this thread really has me wanting to play Baldur's Gate again. How are the EE versions on tablets?

Good. Im using an Nvidia Shield which doesn't have the biggest screen but it plays fine. I just recommend using the autopause features to make things easier to handle.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Doesn't playing on a tablet mean no Ctrl + J?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cythereal posted:

NPCs I unironically recommend without knowing anything about your particular likes and dislikes: Fade, Tashia, Sarah, Finch (BG1).

I personally wrote Darian and Valerie (who's BG1 only for now), so I can't offer a recommendation or condemnation on either beyond that Darian was quite intentionally supposed to be a huge jerk who gradually gets better and I have no idea why he has fangirls. :v:

Is there something especially onerous with Kelsey? It's obvious it's the guy himself written into the game, but he comes off (in early BG2) as a harmless fellow with self-esteem issues.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

LowellDND posted:

I use this for spells http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/Main.htm

and this for maps http://forgottenwars.com/bg1/ar2600.htm (its for BG1, not BGEE, but its somewhat close)

edit: How do the Black Pits work?

Thanks, that spells reference link is very helpful for me learning the magic system.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Wizard Styles posted:

Doesn't playing on a tablet mean no Ctrl + J?

Uh what's ctrl j do? Lmao.

There's no quicksave afaik.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Uh what's ctrl j do? Lmao.

There's no quicksave afaik.

Teleports selected characters to your cursor location, which is an amazing time-saver given the horrid default walk speed.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, I don't think I would play these games anymore if I had to watch my party of dumbasses spend half an eternity trying to find their way out of a dungeon, but I guess if you're not used to Ctrl + J'ing everywhere you can't miss it.

Rappaport posted:

Is there something especially onerous with Kelsey? It's obvious it's the guy himself written into the game, but he comes off (in early BG2) as a harmless fellow with self-esteem issues.
I had Kelsey in my party once and he didn't stand out in any way. That's both the best and the worst thing I can say about him.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rappaport posted:

I found him annoying and, as you said, a self-insert. Also, I do not need the details of his love life with Imoen in ToB, which he's all too happy to tell you about at length if you don't romance him yourself and keep Imoen in the party with him.

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

poor life choice posted:

I've just past Nashkel on an 8" android tablet and so far it's great! There is definitely a quick save button. Lack of formation rotation is a bit annoying but not a big problem.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I found him annoying and, as you said, a self-insert. Also, I do not need the details of his love life with Imoen in ToB, which he's all too happy to tell you about at length if you don't romance him yourself and keep Imoen in the party with him.

Have not seen that, thanks for the heads up I guess :stare:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rappaport posted:

Have not seen that, thanks for the heads up I guess :stare:

Kelsey was for the modding community an early lesson in how to write NPC-NPC romantic relationships. Kelsey's example is "tell the PC everything that's going on."

When I wrote Darian, I followed the idea that the player shouldn't see everything. The player definitely doesn't need to know that the NPCs are boning.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Wasn't Kelsey one of if not the first NPC mod?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't Kelsey one of if not the first NPC mod?

He wasn't the first, but he was the first "fully-featured" one - a romance, personal quest, music track, voice acting, flirts (a mod thing he pioneered), etc.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Wasn't the very first NPC mod a tiny beholder guy who had two whole dialogues?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
It would be pretty awesome to have an egotistical baby beholder follow you around disintegrating everyone.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I've thought of doing a BG1 SCS playthrough with a custom complete bullshit munchkin party to see how thoroughly I can gently caress with the ruleset. Are there any big dungeon mods available for BGEE?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Dark Side of the Sword Coast, Secret of Bone Hill and the Grey Clan fit that bill. None are what anyone would call well-written, but there's a lot of poo poo to fight.

I have no idea if they have EE versions, though.

Cythereal posted:

flirts (a mod thing he pioneered)
Well, I guess I hate this mod now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Acaila posted:

Are there any mod NPCs that people would actually recommend? I'm thinking it might be worth a playthrough to try some out. I played the Kelsey one, but got hacked off with the party interactions that I ended up romancing Anomen out of spite that time, and I quite liked the Angelo one, though it does seem a bit retcon-tastic initially. Also I think I played the Irenicus ToB one because I love having more mages around to cast silly powerful spells :D

(Or I could just gather up a party full of the worst ones!)
In addition to Cythereal's recommendations, the NPCs by Rhaella (made quite recently) are extremely well written and fit in almost completely seamlessly with the rest of the game. I've been disappointed with most other npc mods but those are worth checking out.

http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1070-isra-bg2-pc/
http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1007-adrian/

Zane fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 21, 2016