Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That's not really a like for like because it only takes Keke's championship year. He won 5 total.

Phil Hill won less than that as a world champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
The Indonesian government is launching a crowd funding campaign to raise £3.31m that would keep Haryanto in F1.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Can't the drivers split the bill?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Farmland Park posted:

The Indonesian government is launching a crowd funding campaign to raise £3.31m that would keep Haryanto in F1.

aka can he win driver of the day again

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

everyone would support sophia floersch in F1 if she used the same livery as her current F4 car

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
I respect women of all ages and creeds.

I like the color of her car too.

Dubs fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 21, 2016

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Don't worry dubs, she's legal in most of Europe.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

be nice wicka posted:

everyone would support sophia floersch in F1 if she used the same livery as her current F4 car

Thats cool as hell, like the M3 GTE a few years back.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

3x Formula 1 World Driver's Championship winner Sir Lewis Hamilton

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I have a genuine fear that Lewis will die during a race and then we'll never hear the end of how great he was and what a tragedy was taken too early.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Riso posted:

Second rate equipment is not an issue in spec series.

Not true.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If you want to watch costs spiral out of control incredibly fast follow a spec series where the rules are enforced haphazardly. Every time I hear tales of the Spec Miata series or look at one of the cars it seems ridiculous that it gets called a spec series.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 21, 2016

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

1500quidporsche posted:

I have a genuine fear that Lewis will die during a race and then we'll never hear the end of how great he was and what a tragedy was taken too early.

'errrrr so Lewis? So..... are you ok?'
'Im a gonna man'

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Hopefully he dies of embarrassment when he releases that album.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Best we have to hope for at this point is that Nico beats him and Lewis flounces off to America in a huff.

Chyna of an OD and Victoria Wood of cancer both died this week, I'm not sure I want another celebrity to die just yet even if he is a monumental twat.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

If you want to watch costs spiral out of control incredibly fast follow a spec series where the rules are enforced haphazardly. Every time I hear tales of the Spec Miata series or look at one of the cars it seems ridiculous that it gets called a spec series.

costs in "spec" series can get crazy, you just drive all development to the margins. in NASCAR clint bowyer just switched from a bigger team (waltrip) to a much smaller outfit, he went from having 24 engineers to just one. and waltrip is still nothing to compared to the real big teams like hendrick.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

1500quidporsche posted:

Even in a spec series where the rules are followed strictly, the costs are way out of control if you want to even attempt to race at the front. I know a guy who spent over $10,000 on an engine rebuild for Formula Vee. Formula Vee uses the 1600 air cooled VW beetle engine between 1964-1967.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah you're always going to have a big fish in a small pond looking for ways to spend excess cash. Engines always piss me off in grassroots spec series because unless they're sealed the technical officials tend to black box them and assume nobody does anything to the internals. The only way you're going to control that is if you have an independent body rebuild and seal engines, but then people bitch about the rebuild prices while they're throwing thousands of dollars on ECUs and filing down restrictor plates.

There was a Spec Miata race a few years ago where they actually bothered to open up the engine for post race scrutineering. Something like 7 or 8 of the top ten entries got disqualified because they illegally modified the combustion area of the cylinder head. How is that keeping costs down? At that point you may as well have your local Mazda dealer seal the engine and they're the only ones that can rebuild it because the cost is likely the same or even less.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

learnincurve posted:

Best we have to hope for at this point is that Nico beats him and Lewis flounces off to America in a huff.

Chyna of an OD and Victoria Wood of cancer both died this week, I'm not sure I want another celebrity to die just yet even if he is a monumental twat.

F1 drivers (and MotoGP riders) are okay this weekend, Prince just died.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

krushgroove posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

krushgroove posted:

More importantly, so did the last of the PG Tips chimps.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Seriously, what the actual gently caress?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

learnincurve posted:

Chyna of an OD and Victoria Wood of cancer both died this week

Wait, has Donald Trump been talking about that woman the whole time?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

krushgroove posted:

Oh gently caress.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Farmland Park posted:

Just returning to this because that's 62,462,114,046 Rupiah with some change.

A 62.5 billion public fundraiser. :laugh: I love how corrupt and inept South East Asian governments are.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 21, 2016

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Red Bull's canopy is ready for testing. I hope it goes well, it's a way better option than the halo in terms of both safety and looks.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Yeah RB's canopy looks much better than Mercedes's, I hope they go with that one.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Who thought having a big pillar blocking the center of the driver's field of vision was a good idea?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

gret posted:

Who thought having a big pillar blocking the center of the driver's field of vision was a good idea?

WEC?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Bit of a filler article that one, Horner was talking about this last race.

What's interesting about this design that because of how the current protection goes up the side of the driver's head and this is in part designed to replace that, we will be able to see far more of them than we could before which should shut a lot of people up, and more importantly it will also increase driver visibility which is really poo poo this year, shouldn't need explosive bolts or hinges either.

I still despise ferrari's halo design.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

gret posted:

the drivers, since they rarely look straight ahead and more often need to look at the apex of the corner they are entering, which red bull's design could block

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

be nice wicka posted:

the drivers, since they rarely look straight ahead and more often need to look at the apex of the corner they are entering, which red bull's design could block

Right now the actual position of those pillars are not set in stone, there have been a few designs with them in different places. What they want to know this weekend is if the two kinds of screen they are looking at will take the impact of a tyre fired at it or if they will have to go out and get some specially made and if it even can be. No point in looking at the details until that part is sorted.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Right now the actual position of those pillars are not set in stone, there have been a few designs with them in different places. What they want to know this weekend is if the two kinds of screen they are looking at will take the impact of a tyre fired at it or if they will have to go out and get some specially made and if it even can be. No point in looking at the details until that part is sorted.

fair enough. the bigger complaint drivers had about the halo was the crossbar preventing them from looking up (for eau rouge and turn 1 in austin)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

gret posted:

As long as it's thinner than the interocular distance, you can see 'around' most of it and it would only take a minute side-to-side movement of the head to fully see what's behind it.

Try holding your hand up in front of your line of sight. You can easily see what's behind it.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

learnincurve posted:

I bet it will work. The last time they tried a windshield type canopy it didn't have those carbon fibre reinforcements that the RB one does. When they fired the tire (tyre) at it, it shattered along the top edge because the top of the windshield wasn't rigid enough. I bet the most that happens to the RB one is that the glass spiderwebs.

Here is the old FIA canopy test, notice how the polycarbonate doesn't break until it deflects back from the impact. Stop that deflection, and you stop it from shattering:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upqcj296l6w&t=48s

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 21, 2016

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
OIL OR RAIN OR FOG ON SCREEN BLACK FLAG

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

krushgroove posted:

This when the world was only just recovering from the untimely death of Amber Rayne.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

This when the world was only just recovering from the untimely death of Amber Rayne.

Purple wasn't her color of rain.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
kaynes girlfriend? lewis must be devo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Dubs posted:

kaynes girlfriend? lewis must be devo