Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BigglesSWE posted:

I come from a country that puts kebab meat and fries on a pizza without a hint of shame, but coleslaw? Really, Funkelbean?
I think it's supposed to be taken as a really bad idea for a pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Zereth posted:

I think it's supposed to be taken as a really bad idea for a pizza.

But that would actually hint at a comical intent, how does that work? I thought this comic was all about smug smiles and bittersweet life-lessons.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BigglesSWE posted:

But that would actually hint at a comical intent, how does that work? I thought this comic was all about smug smiles and bittersweet life-lessons.
The old man is losing his faculties and proposing obviously terrible ideas for pizza. His one-time friends simply look on with disgust.

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

My Giant Twin

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Prince is dead.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Zereth posted:

The old man is losing his faculties and proposing obviously terrible ideas for pizza. His one-time friends simply look on with disgust.

I like your style, kid.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

German Inventor Artur Fischer was both more prolific and much less of a dick than Thomas Edison!

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Seven pitches mostly for safety reasons related to replacing dirty balls and to keep the consistency relatively... well, consistent. You're hurling around a hunk of fabric and cork at speeds frequently in excess of 90 miles per hour, and periodically whacking it with a bat, that thing is going to degrade rapidly, and that's before taking into account how picking up grime and mud changes the ball's aerodynamics significantly. Way back in the day there used to be actual strategies revolving around how beaten up and dirty the single game ball would get by the end of play, and it was only halted when a spitball went wild and struck Ray Chapman in the temple, killing him.

Anyway this has been your dumb baseball trivia for the day.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I swear to god if loving Gilchrest mentions today's musical death in his loving strip, I will march to his house and kick him straight in the balls.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 21, 2016

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MariusLecter posted:

Prince is dead.

Not Prince valiant. The musician.

At least according to the the guardian. They didn't mention valiant's current mortality status...

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

BigglesSWE posted:

Them New York cab drivers and their nightlife savvy.

I'm expecting the cabbie to have not turned the meter on so he can charge the girls $25 for a six-block trip.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set doesn't know where it is.

Working Daze goes furry.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix just gets to the point.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I swear to god if loving Gilchrest mentions today's musical death in his loving strip, I will march to his house and kick him straight in the balls.

Newspaper strips usually have a 2-3 week lead time, so unless Gilchrist had a psychic vision that long ago, we won't see Prince mentioned until well after the fact. I hope.

BigglesSWE posted:

Them New York cab drivers and their nightlife savvy.

More likely that he's probably taken a dozen other fares to the same exact club from that same exact subway stop, who mouthed off about the party each time. Easy money and the driver gets a lot more $$$ than he would if he spent half the night driving aimlessly looking for a fare.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 21, 2016

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I....kinda like that joke, Working Daze. I expect you to be utterly hateful again in the near future, of course, but still....okay. Sort of.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (March 29, 1951)

Barnaby (September 3, 1942)

Nancy (May 13, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (January 24, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (February 22, 1923)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really assumed that having a subway ride to then catch a cab was to have some "OH WOW WE'RE UNDERGROUND ON A TRAIN!!!" bit of plot but I guess the Evanses have just never been to New York! (Taking Metro and then catching a cab is totally a thing people do in DC.)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

:( Comix

Pooch Café

That's not a real bill, it's one of those lovely fake twenties that lovely old people leave as a tip and when you pick it up it just says "All the wealth in the world doesn't compare to the kingdom of heaven," except his just says "gently caress you." So it's a little less insulting.

Ballard Street

Okay, we finally have a last name for those two! Time to update the wiki.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Oh, I wouldn't worry about the Gilchrist tribute.

Now the Working Daze tribute...that's the one you have to worry about.

(If it's any consolation, I'm going to be away from a computer for the next few days, so I won't be able to post it when it invariably happens.)

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

I really hope the punchline Brad envisioned was "Pluggers are retired! Ha ha!" instead of the just pure :smith: we got.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Evil Mastermind posted:

(If it's any consolation, I'm going to be away from a computer for the next few days, so I won't be able to post it when it invariably happens.)

[fat bald nerd and nerd wife are dressed in mourning]

"He's Batdancing in the Arms of Orion now..."

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Kumaton posted:

I really hope the punchline Brad envisioned was "Pluggers are retired! Ha ha!" instead of the just pure :smith: we got.

If you want, think of it as a Ballard Street comic where old people dress in McDonalds uniform, cap and name tag for insanity sake.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

ukonvasara posted:

[fat bald nerd and nerd wife are dressed in mourning]

"He's Batdancing in the Arms of Orion now..."

"You know you're a Prince fan when...."

*comedy equivalent of leukaemia*

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why is Lost Side of Suburbia still going

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Calaveron posted:

Why is Lost Side of Suburbia still going

We're getting close to the end, I think. It abruptly goes on a long hiatus that ends with the author saying he's stopping so he can focus on his published work.

Which, if you're interested, can be purchased here.

http://www.amazon.com/Dreadful-Fate-Jonathan-York-Strange/dp/1449471005

e: also he's still doing Poptropica, I think. Though that's a tie-in comic for some kid-friendly, browser based MMO so I assume it pays the bills.

Wanamingo fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 21, 2016

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Selachian posted:

As a former New Yorker, the idea of riding the subway and *then* taking a cab is utterly silly. There are very few places in Manhattan that aren't within easy walking distance of a subway stop. Unless this hot, hip club is out in Williamsburg, in which case have fun getting a cab after midnight!

If they're taking the subway 7 stops, it drat well might be in Williamsburg.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Wanamingo posted:

e: also he's still doing Poptropica, I think. Though that's a tie-in comic for some kid-friendly, browser based MMO so I assume it pays the bills.

really? i thought i read that the poptropica tie-in comic had ended

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pluggers know they're not worth $15 an hour. Pluggers know their place.

Howard Beale posted:

I'm expecting the cabbie to have not turned the meter on so he can charge the girls $25 for a six-block trip.

Either that, or since they didn't give him a street address and are obviously from waaaaaaaaay out of town, he's gonna take them to the club by way of Herald Square, the Cloisters, the 59th Street Bridge, and possibly Staten Island.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Edminster posted:

really? i thought i read that the poptropica tie-in comic had ended

Oh, so it did. My mistake.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

He's going to do a loving "When Doves Cry" tribute, and we all know it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Selachian posted:

Pluggers know they're not worth $15 an hour. Pluggers know their place.

I work with a Plugger like this, she's deaf as all gently caress (diagnosed) and won't get hearing aids. She can't afford them and is too prideful to take her son who has more than enough cash to finance hearing aids for his 70something mother on his offer to buy them for her.

Pluggers who didn't plan for retirement are really depressing :smith:

e: She has a customer facing job, too. It's super depressing. Like nobody wants to fire her but we aren't sure there is any other solution because it causes such huge problems with her job so right now we just let it slide in the hope that she dies before we have to do anything about it :smithicide:

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Flapper Fanny Says

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Life In Hell

That's all I have for Life in Hell.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There's a poptropica graphic novel out now with art by Kory Merritt, but it doesn't follow from the webcomic and doesn't have Paul Gilligan writing it.

Slammy posted:

Life In Hell

That's all I have for Life in Hell.

At least he figured one of those out eventually.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Someone on GoComics noted that cabbie gets around:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cholmondeley posted:

He's going to do a loving "When Doves Cry" tribute, and we all know it.
This is what it looks like when boobs cry.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (February 21, 1929)

Rip Haywire

Peanuts: Year Four (September 13-15, 1954)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Oh yeah, that's a good one.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Holy Christ, Club Foote. How did I not get that. Luann is garbage.

• Locked thread