Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I wonder how many of the roughly 1500 people working on this game secretly think that they're gonna be the one with the good ideas who turns it all around and shows everyone what Doom's really supposed to be. My guess: all of them. RIP id

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Tony Montana posted:

But this is Doom. This Doom has been built with the controller first. Doom was a PC twitch shooter, it is no longer. Herein lies the problem.

No it wasn't and if you paid any amount of attention to the weapon sandbox you'd know this. You don't have to justify not liking the game.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 21, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Something about the way Todd just tells it like it is, it's just great, 'bout time!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Bethesda Execs Weigh in on Doom Rep

"These people should be embarrassed over this whole thing," Howard later commented. "Doom is going to be a polished triple-A title, and for somebody to give it associate a word like 'Retard'? 'Retard' is the worst word in the world. It's worse than the n-word, and it doesn't belong on a Bethesda product."

looooooooooooooooooooooooool

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
1. I think my PS4 is gonna need a runway as loud as it gets when playing this, it sounds more like a jet than a PS4.

2. The shotgun spam is getting annoying. I know bads have to use shotguns because they are bad and need something that can 1/2 hit kill people because they can't aim, but still who ever thought the shotguns should be as overpowered as they are right now needs FIRED.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Pomp posted:

2. The shotgun spam is getting annoying. I know bads have to use shotguns because they are bad and need something that can 1/2 hit kill people because they can't aim, but still who ever thought the shotguns should be as overpowered as they are right now needs FIRED.

This is simply staying True to the Doom Experience™ since classic Doom multiplayer is people sidestrafing and trying to kill each other with the super shotgun.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Can someone please change the thread title to just say DOOM? 4 does not work as a substitute

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It'd take a good amount of effort and rigging up capture cards, gamebridges, etc, but I'm tempted to compile a comparison video that showcases OG Doom E1M1 across all its myriad official ports (PC, SNES, 32x, Saturn, PlayStation, iOS, GBA, Jaguar, etc)

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I guess you should be glad that you didn't play a lot of Doom 2 multiplayer, where both shotguns are vastly more powerful and the preferred weapon(s) in higher level play.

One thing I've found interesting as this goes on is how we have opinions that say Doom 4 isn't twitch shooter enough, or that Doom 4's ssg is too powerful, and then polar opposites within a page or less. If nothing else, it makes a good study into how Doom 4 is being perceived by people who've played twitch shooters, people who've played the original Doom games, and people who are not as experienced in id software's IPs.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

It is interesting how polarizing it is. Really it feels like it's because the multiplayer isn't one or the other... It falls somewhere in the middle. I'm still somewhat interested in the singleplayer and how map creation will work, but I had fun trying the beta on PC at least.

Mostly because of the double jump though. It reminds me of Metroid Prime and that woke up some sort of odd nostalgic feeling while I flailed around dying because I'm awful at FPS games.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
if you hold right click and shoot the shotty it tightens the spread. It didn't seem to give me a whole lot more boom power but maybe it did?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Looper posted:

Can someone please change the thread title to just say DOOM? 4 does not work as a substitute

DOAM

Rockets beat shotgun

Agoat fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 21, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

1. I think my PS4 is gonna need a runway as loud as it gets when playing this, it sounds more like a jet than a PS4.

i should have sourced my quotes

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Agoat posted:

DOAM

Rockets beat shotgun

More like DOA, because nobody wants it. Because Retard 4 is going to be poo poo. :smug:

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Heavy Metal posted:

They're gonna do a couple streams showing stuff on April 25th and 27th. First one is a SnapMap demonstration, second one is some single-player with commentary of some level we haven't seen and whatnot. Let the hype train roll on. (or the helltrain of DOOM)

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/doom-exclusive-snapmap-and-single-player-streams/2016/04/20/107

Awesome! This all I've been waiting for to decide if I want to grab it at release or wait for a sale. All I really want is some non-pre-rendered single player footage.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

umalt posted:

More like DOA, because nobody wants it. Because Retard 4 is going to be poo poo. :smug:

todd howard fuckin' rekt once again

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Hellburger99 posted:

Awesome! This all I've been waiting for to decide if I want to grab it at release or wait for a sale. All I really want is some non-pre-rendered single player footage.

There was a whole bunch at E3. I'm not sure I want to watch a play through of a couple of maps, I wanna play that poo poo for myself when I get it. The snap map thing should be interesting though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Looper posted:

THI4F

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Has anyone played R4tard singleplayer or was the beta all multi?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

AirRaid posted:

There was a whole bunch at E3. I'm not sure I want to watch a play through of a couple of maps, I wanna play that poo poo for myself when I get it. The snap map thing should be interesting though.

The version shown at E3 has alot of key differences and stuff that's changed since then, that version was slower, had bullet time gun switching and the pickup system was different. The real judge of the game will be on the 27th, we'll see then if this game is worth looking at.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ahundredbux posted:

Beta was multiplayer only.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ahundredbux posted:

Nobody's even seen R4tard singleplayer outside of the 30 second smash-cut trailer they showed us, and a few minutes of one of the developers running around punching dudes.

In no way does this reflect a lack of confidence by Bethesda about the single player, no sir.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

GUI posted:

This is simply staying True to the Doom Experience™ since classic Doom multiplayer is people sidestrafing and trying to kill each other with the super shotgun.
someone's gonna figure out how to double your movement speed by diagonal strafing and we have the literal doom 2 multiplayer experience

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Todd Howard is mad at me for calling this game Retard 4

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Nobody's even seen R4tard singleplayer outside of the 30 second smash-cut trailer they showed us, and a few minutes of one of the developers running around punching dudes.

In no way does this reflect a lack of confidence by Bethesda about the single player, no sir.

i've found that trying to ascertain a game's quality via all these things is wildly unreliable. lovely loving games have had amazing betas/demos and good games have had little to no released info, and the reverse happens all the time too.

Doom multipler will be regarded as meh by most people, im hoping what we learned about how they are approaching the game will translate into a fun single player game, since wolfenstein new order was really really fun and good.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

looooooooooooooooooooooooool

Wait what

I thought retard 4 was just a meme here

Where did it come from?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping too, things seem kind of bleak tho...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Wait what

Where did it come from?

It's also a meme on GameFAQs, which is the actual link he posted.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I invented the meme

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

I invented the meme
This is why we call you Precog 4.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Were you supposed to link another article or is that the joke? That's just some random gamefaqs thread

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

*tarzan yelling* RetaaaAAAARRRRdddddd FooOOOOOOuuuuOOOOOOuuurrrr!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i've found that trying to ascertain a game's quality via all these things is wildly unreliable. lovely loving games have had amazing betas/demos and good games have had little to no released info, and the reverse happens all the time too.

Doom multipler will be regarded as meh by most people, im hoping what we learned about how they are approaching the game will translate into a fun single player game, since wolfenstein new order was really really fun and good.

But I wasn't talking about the demo in the post you quoted. I was talking about single player, of which there is no demo.

Yes, bad games sometimes have good demos, or the flaws aren't obvious right away.

But how many amazing games can you think of that didn't show you ANY of the single player before launch? I honestly can't think of... any. Even small indie games manage to show more of the actual game levels and gameplay than Id has shown us so far of the single player.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Wait what

Where did it come from?

a retard posted:

Were you supposed to link another article or is that the joke? That's just some random gamefaqs thread

That quote isn't real dummies :thejoke:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 21, 2016

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

it's Doom but there's a sniper rifle in the game

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Retard 4

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I've been calling Retard 4 "doom"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

But I wasn't talking about the demo in the post you quoted. I was talking about single player, of which there is no demo.

Yes, bad games sometimes have good demos, or the flaws aren't obvious right away.

But how many amazing games can you think of that didn't show you ANY of the single player before launch? I honestly can't think of... any. Even small indie games manage to show more of the actual game levels and gameplay than Id has shown us so far of the single player.

That quote isn't real dummies

Witcher 3's primary pre-release talk was about how the devs were lying about the graphics and how the game would be half assed as a result. There was no demo, only released footage, same as Doom's single player.

We have seen stuff from single player, and no its not just livestreamed stuff, but we have seen in general what it will look like, and with the multiplayer beta, we have a good idea how movement, guns, etc will work, though apparently dmg values are totally dif in single player vs multi. Supposedly on the 27th there will be single player stuff shown.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
lmao at any dumbass who'd think an exec would come out and say retard was worse than friend of the family in a public statement of any kind

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Snazzy Frocks posted:

lmao at any dumbass who'd think an exec would come out and say retard was worse than friend of the family in a public statement of any kind

probably the same people who were hype for this dogshit game who now have turned it down to a tepid, "well its ok." I know your lives suck nerds but anything that scales your happiness upwards by .01 isn't necessarily indicative of quality.

"meh its ok. I had fun" *shrugs sheepishly*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lovely Senorita posted:

it's Doom but there's a sniper rifle in the game

Thats what the chaingun was in the original, a rapid fire sniper rifle even. I find the vortex rifle not great, but I really like the static cannon, which is more like a Quake 2 railgun.

Segmentation Fault posted:

I've been calling Retard 4 "doom"

Me too!

Man, it was such a simpler time back in the late 90s in 7th grade when I got on the internets. Everybody was looking forward to every random FPS that came out, and actually today people look back fondly at every single FPS game from that time on here. This game is going to be much better than Unreal, hell it's even gonna be better than Kingpin. This game is gonna be even better than Jedi Knight. This game is gonna be better than your 4th favorite FPS game from the 90s, and I guarantee it. You don't know now but you'll reluctantly find it's true on May 13th!

I personally think it's gonna be great, and I do think the MP is great already. And Todd Howard did say those things by the way.