Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

EU4 is still good but estates are pointless. States would be fine if they changed how much it costs to territory core or let you skip that step if you wanted. also would be nice if integrating automatically turned the new provinces into a state if there was room instead of me having to remember to go hit the button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

DICKHEAD posted:

EU4 is still good but estates are pointless. States would be fine if they changed how much it costs to territory core or let you skip that step if you wanted. also would be nice if integrating automatically turned the new provinces into a state if there was room instead of me having to remember to go hit the button

I've come around on states. Territories don't affect your accepted cultures so it's easier to have a bunch of them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also hell, NCS, you should try out a map game

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

ck2 is mostly garbage because it runs like a piece of poo poo due to expanding the map into areas that are completely uninteresting (the steppes) or too isolated and not different enough to be worth it (india). Finally fixing Islam (assuming they never did this since i havent played it in like 2 years) or making Christian feudal mechanics deeper would have been way better. Making the church feel more significant as an institution would be nice too. Maybe actual monasteries? I mean they were major landholders whose land management was not at all different from normal manorial systems of feudal lords but they arent in the drat game

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

GreyPowerVan posted:

I've come around on states. Territories don't affect your accepted cultures so it's easier to have a bunch of them

Oh that's cool. I hadn't realized that

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

my favorite part about this is johan ignores all the people asking "why?"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

turns out its set to unlock at level zero and johan was just trolling

if im wrong then oh well i can always roll back the version!!!

also im digging the new african nations. im playing mutapa and its nice to have things to do other than beat up on kilwa

edit: also im mixed on sailors, it annoys me that I cant just build a billion ships at once, but im glad that my opponents can no longer build a billion ships at once.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

In Training posted:

Also hell, NCS, you should try out a map game

I own EU4 and several pieces of dlc so I suppose I should.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
recommendation: the ottomans

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

recommendation: the ottomans

+1

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Play Byzantium instead :troll:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

DICKHEAD posted:

Finally fixing Islam (assuming they never did this since i havent played it in like 2 years)

decadence is still broken of course

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i hope hoi4 requires tech before you can fabricate claims

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

corn in the bible posted:

i hope hoi4 requires tech before you can fabricate claims

It does, kinda.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

in hoi 2 i just left clicked and claimed the whole loving poland region before sending the tanks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

in hoi 2 i just left clicked and claimed the whole loving poland region before sending the tanks

That's how Hitler did it too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm gonna play some EUIV tonight because it's been a while and I wanna check out the new mechanics. Suggestions for good starts?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Morocco, Tunis, mamluks, random African nations

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Morocco hasn't been fun for me in EUIV, even thought it was my Main in Eu3

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Morocco's problem is that all their weak neighbors except Granada cost like 150 ADM a province to conquer and Portugal usually allies Castile and Aragon and attacks them with their ridiculously huge navy and generally quite large army. Which you can win but it takes freaking ages. Meanwhile you could play one of the Iberians and play almost the same game except you have closer, cheaper people to fight.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
the aztec start is actually really fun, if you have el dorado. the whole flower war / doom dynamic is super unique.

e: wouldn't recommend it for a new player.

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 22, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only DLC I have is the first one. I'm playing as Tunis right now

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I have Wealth of Nations, Art of War, Common Senese, Res Publica, and Women in History, but I havent installed the game.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Oh don't play in Africa without the majority of dlc. Pick someone on fringes of Europe like muscovy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Too late. I'm liking this area, lots of little nations nipping at each other reminds me of playing a Native American group but I can actually build things. It's only a matter of time before Morocco/Tlemcen declare war on me though, I need to prepare some kind of defense

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Man i love map games. also finall getting some EUIV cheeves since im playing in Ironman which i realize is how i play anyway.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Too late. I'm liking this area, lots of little nations nipping at each other reminds me of playing a Native American group but I can actually build things. It's only a matter of time before Morocco/Tlemcen declare war on me though, I need to prepare some kind of defense

The biggest looming threat for Tunis is the Ottomans randomly turning hostile and allying one of your rivals, or the same except mega-Mamluks if they got lucky or somehow ignored by the Ottos. Other than that things happen pretty much at whatever pace you pick. I think its fun to island-hop into Italy in an attempt to get your name to stretch across the sea.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

The biggest looming threat for Tunis is the Ottomans randomly turning hostile and allying one of your rivals, or the same except mega-Mamluks if they got lucky or somehow ignored by the Ottos. Other than that things happen pretty much at whatever pace you pick. I think its fun to island-hop into Italy in an attempt to get your name to stretch across the sea.

I wanna take some islands from angola and then westernize eventually but those dudes have a pretty huge army. im currently allied with Mamluks to protect myself against them, and i think if i can chip away at the western foes i can manage the total north coast eventually.

also i just looked and does EUIV has 8 expansion packs now??? O_o

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh I remember now the last time I played this was picking up the New World expansion and playing as a NA tribe for like 15 hours and colonizing myself across America and then England appeared on my map and declared war 3 months later and obliterated my entire nation and I was so deflated

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Oh I remember now the last time I played this was picking up the New World expansion and playing as a NA tribe for like 15 hours and colonizing myself across America and then England appeared on my map and declared war 3 months later and obliterated my entire nation and I was so deflated

Playing a native/sufficiently lovely African is only fun if you think the video game equivalent of trudging uphill through the snow for hours sounds sweet as heck.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Playing a native/sufficiently lovely African is only fun if you think the video game equivalent of trudging uphill through the snow for hours sounds sweet as heck.

Yeah. I thought the New World focused expac would make them more interesting but it turns out it's really not possible when they're designed to be dumb as loving rocks compared to the rest of the world.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I once managed to conquer all of North America and most of Mexico as the Iroquois but it was insanely painful and only possible because the colonial nations had all revolted and I was finally equal tech in like 1780. I never cored most of it

The only fun way to play in the New World is to pick Connaught or someone like that who can feasibly move their capital to the New World

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

In Training posted:

I'm gonna play some EUIV tonight because it's been a while and I wanna check out the new mechanics. Suggestions for good starts?

Holland, Florence, Ethiopia

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Dutch minor is by far one if my favourite starts.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The most fun I had was uniting Japan as one of the rando provinces and becoming the first nation to discover the new world because I never got in another war and just accumulated massive wealth by fishing and stuff.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training posted:

The most fun I had was uniting Japan as one of the rando provinces and becoming the first nation to discover the new world because I never got in another war and just accumulated massive wealth by fishing and stuff.

You can become a huge sir as a colonising Japan. That was my first achieve.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Actually scratch Florence because it's ungodly slow now thanks to trade leagues

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In my last attempt Lucca joined a trade league with all the Dutch minors + Genoa + others. The Dutch minors marched their stacks across the entire HRE to defend Lucca, which I couldn't deal with despite general from estate + a 2 MIL tech advantage and fighting in hills, their combined numbers just overwhelmed me. And even if you could win that fight the insane coalitions that form now make Italian games with their high development an exercise in slow frustration

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm kinda tempted to buy the 7 DLCs I don't have but I would probably be insanely overwhelmed by all the new options. It took me like 20 minutes last night to figure out what a province was vs a state and I'm still not sure why certain areas are provinces by default and I have core them again. Although coring went way faster than I remember but that could be a Muslim thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the stellaris thread is real bad