Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

we have 2 client infrastructures. the old one which is 100% vb6 COM stuff, and the new one which is a .net-based web server serving up html+javascript for the UI and doing the business logicy stuff in C# on the web server. the host application that the end users run is written in vb6 which then hosts the .net stuff within a browser control. once we're 100% on .net the plan is to throw away the installable client completely and make the software accessible via browser so our customers can stop using shitrix.

theres also all our IOS poo poo too (we just revealed our applewatch app's name "Limerick"), but i dont know how any of that works because i work on the managed care application and we will probably be the last to move to the modernized platforms because nobody gives a poo poo about some poor soul in the UM or claims office having a pretty and usable interface when theres doctors a-bitchin'.

haha guess what module we are adding to our own application soon!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

haha guess what module we are adding to our own application soon!

i was honestly pretty negative on the idea of doing an applewatch thing because i think smartwatches are super dumb, but apparently the docs at the first org to go live on it fuckin cream their jeans for that poo poo. probably just another way for them to feel better than the nurses who only get mere iphones.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
The essential terrible programmer library

http://imgur.com/gallery/vqUQ5

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

i was honestly pretty negative on the idea of doing an applewatch thing because i think smartwatches are super dumb, but apparently the docs at the first org to go live on it fuckin cream their jeans for that poo poo. probably just another way for them to feel better than the nurses who only get mere iphones.

nah we arent doing a watch app. that would be stupid. we're adding more care management stuff.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also getting totally psyched about a loving watch app is doctor as hell

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

nah we arent doing a watch app. that would be stupid. we're adding more care management stuff.

ah. my domain is very specifically managed care in the sense of being a health plan or delegated risk organization that manages enrollment, claims, um, etc. for an example, Kaiser Permanente is our most prominent customer. "care management" is also a big buzzword right now but in the more general sense of "clinics should make sure their patients actually get regular physicals and poo poo".

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes. that's what we're doing

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i'm going to make a configuration file that sets the logging level to debug, for every loving java logging library. then i'm going to copy those files into every directory on my hard disk. that ought to loving work

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we take the claims data and other crap from your emr, throw it thru some analysis, and then generate work items for patients based on care needs from the analysis.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Wheany posted:

i'm going to make a configuration file that sets the logging level to debug, for every loving java logging library. then i'm going to copy those files into every directory on my hard disk. that ought to loving work

don't do that. use slf4j in your own stuff and then use the various slf4j bridges to replace other logger api dependencies and then use logback.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
btw the company that bought us is partially owned by AllScripts, though we have sales partnerships w/ a few different EMRs. not epic afaik tho

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i'm actually just going to stop configuring anything and log everything at level FATAL

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Wheany posted:

i'm actually just going to stop configuring anything and log everything at level FATAL

*** Anal circumference mismatch error ***

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Luigi Thirty posted:

*** Anal circumference mismatch error ***

someone should write a FATAL programming language

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

eschaton posted:

when did quoting olin shivers become cool?

a few of my classmates would sometimes quote the jokes that he made during lectures

they were not the cool classmates

his jokes were mostly pretty good, though

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

btw the company that bought us is partially owned by AllScripts, though we have sales partnerships w/ a few different EMRs. not epic afaik tho

that doesnt surprise me. if an org with a health plan is on epic, they're probably going to be using our managed care module. its actually one of our older modules so we've had a couple decades to really tailor to the needs of a healthcare org that is also an insurer/at risk party. plus since the emr and insurer are on the same platform sharing a database, we can do a lot of stuff to direct both payor and clinical case management in a coordinated manner efficiently. at least, thats what i tell myself when i start to feel like a bad guy because something i made let our customers fire another claim examiner.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the more people the emr fires the better because they were doing it wrong and costing money all while sacrificing patient care

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the idea here is that we have the actual nurse agents who will be doing the work on our staff so we plug our poo poo into the hospital emr and just start cranking through the work. no need for the hospital to employee more nurses themselves

JimboMaloi
Oct 10, 2007

Shaggar posted:

don't do that. use slf4j in your own stuff and then use the various slf4j bridges to replace other logger api dependencies and then use logback.

shaggar is extremely right here. slf4j bridges are amazing, redirect everything to logback

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

the idea here is that we have the actual nurse agents who will be doing the work on our staff so we plug our poo poo into the hospital emr and just start cranking through the work. no need for the hospital to employee more nurses themselves

im still a little ambiguous as to what you do, are you guys basically like an outsourcing agency for on-call nurses and stuff like that?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the ambiguity is because we do everything but yeah that's some of it. we do non-clinical stuff too like class/event reg, phys referral, service referral, etc...

we do work for providers and payers of all shapes and sizes both private and public. Since we are EMR agnostic we can attach at various levels of integration from pretty much none to we get the requests from your emr, do the work, and send the collected results back to your emr.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
luckily Kaiser Permanente is not one of our clients because I would always refer to them as Kaiser Pimento

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

the ambiguity is because we do everything but yeah that's some of it. we do non-clinical stuff too like class/event reg, phys referral, service referral, etc...

we do work for providers and payers of all shapes and sizes both private and public. Since we are EMR agnostic we can attach at various levels of integration from pretty much none to we get the requests from your emr, do the work, and send the collected results back to your emr.

neat. we nearly always just call 'em KP, but ive learned that there are somehow people who have never heard of them despite their enormity so i tend to spell it out in online convos now. KP is insanely high on what we can do for their claims management. we just did our spring user meeting and they did several presentations where they basically just humble bragged about how awesome they're doing with Tapestry (the name of the module I work on).

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a thing that is satisfying to me is when we start up some sales w/ a hospital and suggest our services could help find and fix some of their process problems but then they decide its not worth it to them and then later they end up dead freaking last on medicares patient safety score ratings.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

neat. we nearly always just call 'em KP, but ive learned that there are somehow people who have never heard of them despite their enormity so i tend to spell it out in online convos now. KP is insanely high on what we can do for their claims management. we just did our spring user meeting and they did several presentations where they basically just humble bragged about how awesome they're doing with Tapestry (the name of the module I work on).

cool. its cool to fix things in healthcare

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

a thing that is satisfying to me is when we start up some sales w/ a hospital and suggest our services could help find and fix some of their process problems but then they decide its not worth it to them and then later they end up dead freaking last on medicares patient safety score ratings.

same, except they buy cerner and then its so bad that 2 years later they scrap it and replace it with us. and then neal cries at a conference again.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
kaiser permanente is good but sounds evil. yes i know that kaiser is the founder's name and permanente is a nearby creek, but that's sure not what it sounds like

DER KAISER PERMANENTE!! SIEG HEIL!!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
cerner is atleast better than eclinicalworks. oh my god what a load of dogshit is eclinicalworks

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaggar posted:

cerner is atleast better than eclinicalworks. oh my god what a load of dogshit is eclinicalworks

in my previous life as an outsourced phonemonkey i had to support this thing called "American HealthTech" that was easily the biggest poo poo garbage ever. its database was literally a big pile of csv files on an ftp server. that was the vendor's recommended setup. also some lovely web emr called Vision that's only noticable feature was apparently forgetting 3 days worth of progress notes every couple of months. the org that used that emr was Country Villa, which you may remember as the organization that was scamming medicare by giving all the olds they admitted Phenobarbitol so it would look like they were deteriorating, enabling them to bill DRGs that included more expensive interventions.

come to think of it, maybe they were just deleting evidence and then having my outsourced rear end jump through hoops trying to figure out where the data went so that there was a paper trail of "this was a bug, not a crime". that news didnt break until well after id left that poo poo job.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

quote:

If x is floating point, the conversion truncates towards zero.
english is being particularly uncooperative today. we round down here, right?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

kalstrams posted:

think about what happens with negative numbers.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

think about what happens with negative numbers.
well i hav eonly positive numbers, so we are rounding down :v:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

kalstrams posted:

"Rounding down" is ambiguous for negative numbers. "Truncates towards zero" means 1.735 becomes 1.000, but also -1.735 becomes -1.000.

The alternate meaning is "Rounds towards negative infinity" where 1.735 becomes 1.000, but -1.735 becomes -2.000.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

kalstrams posted:

1.9 gets turned into 1
-1.9 gets turned into -1
Who knows what happens with Infinity, -Infinity, and NaN

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

kalstrams posted:

well i hav eonly positive numbers, so we are rounding down :v:

you like to dance close to the fire, don't you?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

you like to dance close to the fire, don't you?
yea :v: also thanks everyone, im wee bit less terrible spaghetti coder now

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Okay so I got myself curious about what happens when you truncate Infinity, -Infinity, and NaN, so I went to see what would happen in Haskell.

code:
truncate (1/0)  :: Integer == 2^1024             -- truncate Infinity
truncate (-1/0) :: Integer == -(2^1024)          -- truncate -Infinity
truncate (0/0)  :: Integer == -(2^1024 + 2^1023) -- truncate NaN
Anyone know why those numbers get picked? I asked on #haskell and no one seemed to know.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
ieee 754, 2^1024 is just outside what a double can represent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Heh
code:
truncate (2^1024+10) == 2^1024              --True