Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
gently caress those fuel scoops can be more then the ship and drives. And the difference in a class a and class b can be only a small percentage of fuel. But a massive increase in price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

gently caress those fuel scoops can be more then the ship and drives. And the difference in a class a and class b can be only a small percentage of fuel. But a massive increase in price.

That small increase in refuel time adds up fast when you're wandering across the galaxy and back. Space is big

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
When you're smuggling inside the bubble, you don't want to sit at a star for too long topping up your gas tank. It's even better if you fill up your tank completely while you're orientating yourself to the next jump. Stop the space cops/pirates from trying to take your precious load of Biowaste.

Yes, you CAN get by with a smaller fuel scoop when you're exploring outside the bubble. Unless you're exploring for money (don't do this)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

IAmTheRad posted:

When you're smuggling inside the bubble, you don't want to sit at a star for too long topping up your gas tank. It's even better if you fill up your tank completely while you're orientating yourself to the next jump. Stop the space cops/pirates from trying to take your precious load of Biowaste.

Yes, you CAN get by with a smaller fuel scoop when you're exploring outside the bubble. Unless you're exploring for money (don't do this)

I would really not recommend anything but the largest fuel scoop possible. If you are going to Sag A* (a 50kly round trip, or ~1666 jumps), the difference between a 5A and 6A fuel scoop in a stock Asp is more than an hour of extra time spent fueling on your journey. And that is if you somehow made a beeline there and back. Realistically you are looking at an additional 2-5 hours of time just waiting at stars. You would have way more fun earning the extra 20 million spacebux to get the 6A doing missions or in a RES with friends than you will listening to podcasts while not getting cool screenshots.

Don't get me wrong, I explore for the love of the screenshots, but even masochism should know its limits.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I would really not recommend anything but the largest fuel scoop possible. If you are going to Sag A* (a 50kly round trip, or ~1666 jumps), the difference between a 5A and 6A fuel scoop in a stock Asp is more than an hour of extra time spent fueling on your journey. And that is if you somehow made a beeline there and back. Realistically you are looking at an additional 2-5 hours of time just waiting at stars. You would have way more fun earning the extra 20 million spacebux to get the 6A doing missions or in a RES with friends than you will listening to podcasts while not getting cool screenshots.

Don't get me wrong, I explore for the love of the screenshots, but even masochism should know its limits.

I'm not saying go for a lower class of fuel scoop. I'm saying if you can't afford the 20 million spacebux for a 6A, a 6B can work.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
I couldn't fathom why anyone would ever so much as undock without the latest of everything. The only way to play video games is "as efficiently as possible." If you try to have fun in an other way, you are behaving in a manner I find morally objectionable. Furthermore,

We all know the real reason for exploring.

Let's say there's X stars in the game, and Y of those stars have turned into black holes, and Z of those black holes are have planets around them. M of those planets are going to have rings around them. N of those rings will be pristine metallic. Of the planets encircled by said rings, O of those planets will be terraformable. I'm looking for an Earth-like.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Just play the game, have fun. While you can excel spreadsheet sperg over it, it is completely optional.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

IAmTheRad posted:

I'm not saying go for a lower class of fuel scoop. I'm saying if you can't afford the 20 million spacebux for a 6A, a 6B can work.

Definatly go for a 6B, it'll take an extra ~5 seconds to fill your tank but it costs 1/5 as much as the 6A.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Bolow posted:

https://community.elitedangerous.com/newsletter120

quote:

Next week, the newsletter will be hosted on the Elite Dangerous Community Site rather than sent directly into your email inboxes. This is to allow us to move over to a new email service, and improve how we get the right news, information and Elite Dangerous deals directly to you! We'll let you know exactly when the newsletter has gone live, on our Twitter account, Facebook page and on the forum, so you don't have to worry about missing out.
So the new newsletter system is about not sending you newsletter anymore? That's loving brilliant. :downsbravo:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So it could be overused like :frontear:?

I sense :chargeback: is the new :frontear:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:shrug:

Let me rephrase for fragile sensibilities:

While you can certainly choose to spend your time in game however you wish, my advice would be to "maximize" your fun while "minimizing" your time spent doing "literally nothing."

The difference between a 6A and 6B is still going to add thirty minutes to an hour or more just to your buckyball run if your destination is >25kly from Sol. If you are going to Sag A* or beyond, those 6 seconds stack up over thousands and thousands of jumps.

So yes, you can run out into the void whenever you want (it is called "space madness," afterall), but maybe people want to enjoy the game, so let's not all pretend like going cheap doesn't waste significantly more time. Sorry if it's overly :spergin:, but I figured they might like the option of spending that time with friends, or otherwise more entertainingly, while in the bubble.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

froody guy posted:

So the new newsletter system is about not sending you newsletter anymore? That's loving brilliant. :downsbravo:

I sense :chargeback: is the new :frontear:

:nallears:

are you retarded special needs?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Chargeback will be a SC emote eventually, no need to waste it on frontier

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

:shrug:

Let me rephrase for fragile sensibilities:

While you can certainly choose to spend your time in game however you wish, my advice would be to "maximize" your fun while "minimizing" your time spent doing "literally nothing."

The difference between a 6A and 6B is still going to add thirty minutes to an hour or more just to your buckyball run if your destination is >25kly from Sol. If you are going to Sag A* or beyond, those 6 seconds stack up over thousands and thousands of jumps.

So yes, you can run out into the void whenever you want (it is called "space madness," afterall), but maybe people want to enjoy the game, so let's not all pretend like going cheap doesn't waste significantly more time. Sorry if it's overly :spergin:, but I figured they might like the option of spending that time with friends, or otherwise more entertainingly, while in the bubble.

A 6B on an Anaconda with optimized fuel tanks fills your tank faster than you can maneuver to your next target. Time you lose by not taking a 6A = 0 seconds.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Libluini posted:

A 6B on an Anaconda with optimized fuel tanks fills your tank faster than you can maneuver to your next target. Time you lose by not taking a 6A = 0 seconds.

Well...I guess the 4A on my DBE has left me jaded! :downs:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Well...I guess the 4A on my DBE has left me jaded! :downs:

On an Imperial Cutter it would be a 7C. Or a 7B if you really like large fuel tanks. :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…also, if you need to do a proper fuel stop, this is an excellent time to take a good look at the solar system/galaxy map to see what's nearby that you might want to take a closer look at. With the solar system map in particular, chances are you're full before the map has fully loaded irrespective of which scoop you've equipped. :D

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Libluini posted:

This is also totally irrelevant information because loving nobody who can afford an anaconda is quibbling about class 6 scoop cost. Toxic Fart's advice is aimed at much newer explorers, and it's pretty valid. As many times as I see peeps who can totally afford a bling scoop balk at the cost (like rebuy matters when you're exploring or something), I don't think the time spent doing as he said, literally nothing, is a ridiculously spergy thing for him to point out to new people :shrug:

Tippis posted:

…also, if you need to do a proper fuel stop, this is an excellent time to take a good look at the solar system/galaxy map to see what's nearby that you might want to take a closer look at. With the solar system map in particular, chances are you're full before the map has fully loaded irrespective of which scoop you've equipped. :D

Not telling anyone how to play, but once you get used to what to look at a glance, you can pretty easily check the sysmap while your Friendship Drive is spinning up. Outside of long refuels after a leg of dead stars, there's no reason to take additional time scooping to look at your sysmap, unless you just don't give a single poo poo and want to chillax.

I know we're all very serious about not being serious, but once you've performed the same series of action literally thousands of times in a single journey, it's natural and human to take a little satisfaction out of perfecting it. And trust me, whether you're exploring for money or screenshots or just to be able to say you went to the far rim and back, after ten thousand lightyears or so you will get your sequence of button presses down to a science where those extra 5 seconds can be put to use.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 19, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

This is also totally irrelevant information because loving nobody who can afford an anaconda is quibbling about class 6 scoop cost. Toxic Fart's advice is aimed at much newer explorers, and it's pretty valid. As many times as I see peeps who can totally afford a bling scoop balk at the cost (like rebuy matters when you're exploring or something), I don't think the time spent doing as he said, literally nothing, is a ridiculously spergy thing for him to point out to new people :shrug:

As I'm always telling people, actually looking at what your fuel scoops can do is a lot better advice then blindly putting in the most expensive thing. As is pointing out in most cases this mythical time of waiting for your fuel-tank to fill up doesn't actually exist.

Also Toxic Fart suggested a 6A would always be better, how is that newbie-advice? The cheapest ship you could put a class-6 fuel scoop on is the Asp. Already not exactly newbie-material. And total overkill in that case.

You are right though, it's not a ridiculously spergy thing for him to point out, just wrong most of the time. Hey it's better than being wrong all the time, right? :v:

A newbie would be someone in an Adder or maybe a Diamondback Scout. With the smaller explorer-ships taking the most expensive and largest scoop makes sense, since their largest module-spaces are often undersized compared to their fuel-tanks.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Libluini posted:

As I'm always telling people, actually looking at what your fuel scoops can do is a lot better advice then blindly putting in the most expensive thing. As is pointing out in most cases this mythical time of waiting for your fuel-tank to fill up doesn't actually exist.

Also Toxic Fart suggested a 6A would always be better, how is that newbie-advice? The cheapest ship you could put a class-6 fuel scoop on is the Asp. Already not exactly newbie-material. And total overkill in that case.

You are right though, it's not a ridiculously spergy thing for him to point out, just wrong most of the time. Hey it's better than being wrong all the time, right? :v:

A newbie would be someone in an Adder or maybe a Diamondback Scout. With the smaller explorer-ships taking the most expensive and largest scoop makes sense, since their largest module-spaces are often undersized compared to their fuel-tanks.

Eh, I thought he did a pretty sensible job of explaining himself in his last post, and he definitely didn't say or imply "always." You're absolutely right to tell peeps look at the practical gains, don't just pick the biggest number. But there IS a practical gain here, for anyone flying the most common exploration ship in the game.

And speaking of Asps, I meant newbie explorers, not newbie players. My bad. But fwiw I jumped into my fully operational battl- er, exploration asp in like two evenings of casual shadow deliveries, when I came back after Horizons. The asp is pretty accessible compared to the big ships, even with an "expensive" scoop like a 6B/A. I definitely had more fun spending that five or six hours learning to make money smuggling than I would have spending them staring at stars because I bought a cheaper scoop. So while I salute you for sperging good-naturedly, I don't think what he's saying is wrong most of the time or even all that often.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:nallears:

are you retarded special needs?

The latter former you said :c00lbutt:

And by the way if there is a game where I'll never use (seriously) the chargeback mantra is this one. Paid 100€ for the Premium Beta and it's the best money I ever spent on a videogame. Ever. You know, that :smug: when I heard every season costs like buying the game anew.... that ain't nothing :smugbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Eh, I thought he did a pretty sensible job of explaining himself in his last post, and he definitely didn't say or imply "always." You're absolutely right to tell peeps look at the practical gains, don't just pick the biggest number. But there IS a practical gain here, for anyone flying the most common exploration ship in the game.

And speaking of Asps, I meant newbie explorers, not newbie players. My bad. But fwiw I jumped into my fully operational battl- er, exploration asp in like two evenings of casual shadow deliveries, when I came back after Horizons. The asp is pretty accessible compared to the big ships, even with an "expensive" scoop like a 6B/A. I definitely had more fun spending that five or six hours learning to make money smuggling than I would have spending them staring at stars because I bought a cheaper scoop. So while I salute you for sperging good-naturedly, I don't think what he's saying is wrong most of the time or even all that often.

Fair point.

When I started out, it took me almost two months of playing to get an Asp. I keep forgetting nowadays it's far easier to make money. It's hard to think about the Asp as a "newbie-explorer-ship" when it took you weeks of exploring/rare trading to finally get it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Not telling anyone how to play, but once you get used to what to look at a glance, you can pretty easily check the sysmap while your Friendship Drive is spinning up.
…except, as mentioned, for the load times that mean you could spin the FSD up and down four times over in the time it takes to load the map of a reasonably interesting system. Or, say, about the same time it takes to fill up (and more than compensate for any lower scoop rate) your tanks.

It's not a matter of efficiency or quick button presses — it's a mater of game functionality that creates unavoidable long delays that you might as well use to fill up on fuel. Not to mention that, if you're in an interesting system, you shouldn't be spinning up the FSD to begin with since you intend to stick around and poke a few planets. Not telling anyone how to play, but there is no way to 1337 yourself around how the game is programmed.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Tippis posted:

…except, as mentioned, for the load times that mean you could spin the FSD up and down four times over in the time it takes to load the map of a reasonably interesting system. Or, say, about the same time it takes to fill up (and more than compensate for any lower scoop rate) your tanks.

It's not a matter of efficiency or quick button presses — it's a mater of game functionality that creates unavoidable long delays that you might as well use to fill up on fuel. Not to mention that, if you're in an interesting system, you shouldn't be spinning up the FSD to begin with since you intend to stick around and poke a few planets. Not telling anyone how to play, but there is no way to 1337 yourself around how the game is programmed.

Lol, no one's trying to be 1337, I'm trying to be helpful... you CAN work around it. If you're honestly experiencing load times more than four times an FSD spool up, that's extremely abnormal. Try turning off the FPS limiter if it's turned on, that supposedly helps. Mine's always been off, so I can't confirm. There are a lot of theories (read: superstition) about what causes those load times, from number of bodies in system to your game's framerate. But in my fortyish hours of jumping so far, they've been almost completely random. Vast, interesting systems sometimes load in a couple seconds and systems with two suns and nothing else sometimes don't pop in until right before the FSD engages. Sure, sometimes you'll jump too soon and have to backtrack if you want to check what was in that system you left too quickly, but it's pretty drat rare (and before it gets brought up, it's not hardware. I have a loving Radeon HD6850). The time you save massively outweighs the time you spend on backtracks.

I don't backtrack at all anymore, honestly, because gently caress it, the system ahead is just as likely to have something cool in it as the system behind. But I got bored during Distant Worlds and tested it both ways... doing drive by refuels and then checking the map while spooling literally halved my travel time. I was moving just as fast as the guys who were just rushing to the next waypoint, but I still got to scan high value objects and take rad screenshots.

Obviously if you're trying to scan every item of X value or above this won't work for you... but as someone who just wanted to wander around the galaxy (and actually cover ground) while taking rad screenshots, it was pretty nice. You're always doing something so it feels a lot more active and engaging. I spent some good nights just zoning out to music while the jump routine occupied the bulk of my attention. I'm not saying it's the only way to explore, do what you enjoy. But telling people it can't be done and that they should fit their ships around the fact that it can't be done is flat out wrong. :shrug:

EDIT - FURTHER DISCLAIMER: I kind of got carried away from the original scoopsperg. I haven't tested but you could probably totally still do what I do on a 6B scoop. About half my refuels finish before I could exit the coriolis anyway. But 50% of loving thousands is still a decent chunk of time, so while it is in no way a must buy, do grab yourself a fancy scoop if you're planning on a long trip and you can already afford it or don't hate the idea of one more night of shadow deliveries.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 19, 2016

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I know I've shilled it before but I've got Shazbot Syndicate all pretty

http://www.shazbotsyndicate.com/

You know, if you want to listen to (what I think) is some pretty good space music.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Want to get back into this soon. Have an FAS with appropriate armaments but stopped because insurance costs were getting intimidating. Is doing RES bounties still a go to for shootmans guys?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Dandywalken posted:

Want to get back into this soon. Have an FAS with appropriate armaments but stopped because insurance costs were getting intimidating. Is doing RES bounties still a go to for shootmans guys?

Yes.

re: system maps - So glad I don't experience this issue, ever.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBe8UEI_Lew

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

:flashfap:

Get a load of the punt-cannon shells too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBO3mjktETQ

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

:nws:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I could be misremembering, but didn't cannons used to do this anyway before they nerfed them to oblivion?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

tooterfish posted:

I could be misremembering, but didn't cannons used to do this anyway before they nerfed them to oblivion?

Railguns in the beta did that, which was hilarious :v:

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

froody guy posted:

Paid 100€ for the Premium Beta and it's the best money I ever spent on a videogame.

What does that give over the £35 I paid for the Lifetime Expansion Pass? I seem to get betas and all the seasons, and I only bought it because I felt bad about playing, er, "evaluation versions" of Elite: Frontier and possibly First Encounters.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

:flashfap:

Get a load of the punt-cannon shells too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBO3mjktETQ

Is that.... lava on an ice world??? :fap:

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

legooolas posted:

What does that give over the £35 I paid for the Lifetime Expansion Pass? I seem to get betas and all the seasons, and I only bought it because I felt bad about playing, er, "evaluation versions" of Elite: Frontier and possibly First Encounters.

Haha, I "evaluated" Elite too. Evaluated it off a mate with a tape-to-tape deck back in the '80s! Also why I coughed up for premium beta.

Aside from all the expansions for free (looking like a very good deal) , the main benefit I can think of was getting access to Founders world without being Elite in something. I think that was only meant to be a £300 alpha thing, but I ended up with it anyway.

The 10% discount isn't as good a bonus as it was now Li Yong space is a thing, but knowing you can buy *anything* from one place, including all the Imp/Fed ships is super useful.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Dandywalken posted:

Don't know how long ago you were playing, but late last year armor got buffed a shitload, so armor tanks with low shields (like the FAS) are way better than they used to be. Put a few hull reinforcement packages on a FAS and you'll be basically unkillable in a RES unless you regularly faceplant into asteroids or aggro a ton of ships at once. RES hunting easily gets you 2-4M CR per hour, so insurance shouldn't be a problem.

Frag cannons also got a buff, increasing their ammo count from 30 to 90, so they are a very viable alternative to cannons, railguns and the like. I like to run a single G/C3 beam on top of the ship, and three frag cannons (two C2 and a C3) on the bottom. I also tried having two C2 beams and two C3 frags but it wasn't as fun. You'll strip shields from most NPC ships quickly enough with sustained fire from one large beam, and the three frags can basically instakill anything smaller than an Asp if you fire them all at close range once their shields are down, especially if you hit the power plant. Just make sure you're nice and close, like with shotguns in an FPS. The frags are probably fine fixed since you fire at close range, but you can optionally have them gimballed to more easily focus fire power plants, which will wipe out anything in a few bursts, provided the hull damage doesn't do it first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBSRNYNooCI
So much fun :allears:

The big thing with the FAS is to not freak out just because your shields go down. They will go down under basically any sort of sustained fire from anything, and you just need to be okay with that. You have armor for days, so don't let the "TAKING DAMAGE" and cabin sparks throw you off your game. By the time your hull gets whittled down enough that you could be in trouble or your canopy is starting to crack, it'll probably be time to go reload your frags anyway. Also, don't bother with shield boosters, because boosting a tiny shield by 20% just means it's slightly larger than tiny. You're better off bringing more chaff so you take even less damage while you're circling around Pythons, or heatsinks if you're RESing near a star, like in Xihe. The FAS has excellent directional thrusters and in the right hands can handily outmaneuver any NPC ship, so you shouldn't take much sustained damage anyway.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Those force ammo are going to cause people using VR to hrl violently

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Those force ammo are going to cause people using VR to hrl violently

Now take Shine's post above and imagine everything he said but with punt cannons instead :getin:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Those force ammo cannons look much more useful now that you can see what they actually do.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

The force cannons also look like they work when shields are still up :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Those punt cannons are going to be amazing for knocking someone looking to high wake from a fight off course for a few seconds.

• Locked thread