Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Bernie's positions on health care, minimum wage, taxes, and college education are dumb as gently caress and won't work because Americans are too fat and greedy to actually get them done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Also guns are retarded and should be banned in America except for swat teams or something

Also the military should be reduced by like 50% if not more

Probably never going to happen

Maybe hunting for sport or pleasure can be banned, that's pretty loving dumb too

these are my dumb opinions, if you don't like them then you can gently caress off

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Here is my true and honest political opinion: I pulled the primary lever for Sanders purely to demonstrate that there is a desire for progressive policies within the Democratic Party, and I will happily and with enthusiasm pull the lever for Hillary in the general because the Republican Party is toxic and destructive and a continuation of Obama's policies, albeit with slightly more interventionism, is a breath of fresh air in comparison.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Powercrazy posted:

What makes you say that? As long as we have energy available we can counter-act entropy, cells are no different.

probably hope, more than anything

Also it always strikes me as utopian dreaming about things that are probably impossible, or at least utterly unfeasible. Like most of what comp sci people think about real sciences. limited extensions of lifespans via biotechnology is probably coming "soon" though!

fabergay egg has issued a correction as of 20:43 on Apr 21, 2016

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
It disappoints me that neither Bernie or Hillary are really big on nuclear power, which I feel is a more realistic way of getting clean energy than solar panels and wind.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

AHH FUGH posted:

Maybe hunting for sport or pleasure can be banned, that's pretty loving dumb too

Hunting is like a win-win though. We only allow it for animal populations that are too large and are in danger of overbreeding and we make money from hunting permits!

It's honestly more humane for an animal to get a quick clean death than have to suffer and starve due to overpopulation.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
If I could hunt for my meat I would do it in a heartbeat. Factory farms are hell on earth.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SunAndSpring posted:

It disappoints me that neither Bernie or Hillary are really big on nuclear power, which I feel is a more realistic way of getting clean energy than solar panels and wind.

:agreed:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Best Giraffe posted:

probably hope, more than anything

Also it always strikes me as utopian dreaming about things that are probably impossible, or at least utterly unfeasible. Like most of what comp sci people think about real sciences. limited extensions of lifespans via biotechnology is probably coming "soon" though!

Yea. There are things that are 'cool' and would be "great" if they were possible, i.e. Faster then Light travel, Teleportation, "Cold-Fusion" or "Free Energy." But there are specific well-understood physical laws preventing those things from ever being possible, especially in the short-term. Biotech advancement into life-elongation isn't one of those things. There is no fundamental reason that death is inevitable, except for the end of the universe of course.

Life isn't special. :smugdog:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

SunAndSpring posted:

It seems like very few Dems have an actual coherent plan for transitioning off of fossil fuels, they just push for stopping their use while never addressing how to fully replace them.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Powercrazy posted:

Yea. There are things that are 'cool' and would be "great" if they were possible, i.e. Faster then Light travel, Teleportation, "Cold-Fusion" or "Free Energy." But there are specific well-understood physical laws preventing those things from ever being possible, especially in the short-term. Biotech advancement into life-elongation isn't one of those things. There is no fundamental reason that death is inevitable, except for the end of the universe of course.

I'm gonna put my consciousness into a computer and after my body dies I'm gonna come mess up all your files and games. your life isn't special but my revenge from beyond the grave will be. Buckle up nerd

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Wheeee posted:

this is a joke, but there's also truth to it

the ideologies we subscribe to are based as much on personality as on intellect, perhaps more so, and Leftism, real Leftism in the form of anti-authoritarian and anti-status quo leanings, comes primarily from a fundamental and ultimately depressive material realism in a person's perception of the world. happy, ostensibly well-adjusted people do not rail against oppressive authority on principle or understanding of abstract consequences; rather, those deemed most mentally "fit" are those who most closely align with the expectations of the prevailing social structure

Leftism is at once scientific, correct, and a mental illness

Si.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Quorum posted:

Entropy/Death 2016: Even if you don't elect us this year, we'll inevitably win eventually.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Quorum posted:

Entropy/Death 2016: Even if you don't elect us this year, we'll inevitably win eventually.

Everyone votes for them eventually

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
This Death guy sounds really pragmatic. Sounds like someone who can get things done.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
he's not afraid to reach across the aisle

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Quorum posted:

Here is my true and honest political opinion: I pulled the primary lever for Sanders purely to demonstrate that there is a desire for progressive policies within the Democratic Party, and I will happily and with enthusiasm pull the lever for Hillary in the general because the Republican Party is toxic and destructive and a continuation of Obama's policies, albeit with slightly more interventionism, is a breath of fresh air in comparison.

Honest to god, the same. the GOP is worse then any hypersensitive dipshit lefty i might dissagree with at this point. Ill take a soft hawk social lefty to whatever shitshow the GOP chooses.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
People who say "pull the lever" are hopelessly out of touch.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Powercrazy posted:

Tell us something we don't know about Hillary supporters pls.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Immortan posted:

This is so, so wrong. Identity politics is capitalism's greatest life insurance plan.

Nah, hatred of the Other and a willingness to exploit Them because of that hatred is at the core of capitalism.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Peztopiary posted:

Nah, hatred of the Other and a willingness to exploit Them because of that hatred is at the core of capitalism.

Thanks for rephrasing my post?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Peztopiary posted:

Holy poo poo, definitely not.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Capitalism works just "fine" without hating anybody, unfortunately.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Powercrazy posted:

This is a bad political opinion, as I am convinced the only reason I am politically aware despite being The Hated Youth is that my parents took me into their lovely rural voting booth in Culpeper, Virginia and let me pull the lever for whoever they were voting for, probably some terrible rural Republican congressman. The satisfying KA-CHUNK of the lever is the song of democracy in action.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
I really like Bernie Sanders and 98% of of his policy positions. If he somehow manages to win the nomination I will gladly vote for him.

His cult of followers are human poo poo.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

crabcakes66 posted:

I really like Bernie Sanders and 98% of of his policy positions. If he somehow manages to win the nomination I will gladly vote for him.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
You mean his vocal internet supporters?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

crabcakes66 posted:

this. all they do is cry and bitch. and claim anyone that isnt saint benie is an evil conservative and that bernie should run 3rd party.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Bernie bros are the new Social Justice Warriors

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

stoutfish posted:

a barely-existent fringe group whose presence is blown wildly out of proportion by those who wish to disregard not only the fringe but also the more popular and difficult to dismiss movement of which they are a part?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

stoutfish posted:

some of them do that kinda poo poo. others dont. honestly it doesnt matter.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

stoutfish posted:

Nah, they are the new GamerGaters. They are simultaneously harassing all clinton supporters everywhere at all times, and also just a vocal minority who are pathetic poor white college virgins. They are a Big Problem, but also laughably impotent. A conundrum.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

i mean, you can imagine it, and all, and modern medicine has already significantly extended lifespans and will continue to do so, but to handwave from this to functional immortality strikes me in the same way as computer people talking about the singularity: the Nerd Rapture, for people who like the good & cool science of biology.

on the other hand, maybe our dystopian future will be ruled by shriveled corpses kept alive by abominations of science. would we even be able to tell?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

Nah, they are the new GamerGaters. They are simultaneously harassing all clinton supporters everywhere at all times, and also just a vocal minority who are pathetic poor white college virgins. They are a Big Problem, but also laughably impotent. A conundrum.

Yeah pretty much. My facebook feed is full of them. everyother 10 seconds its how clinton will burn the world or that clinton cheated so bad that poor saint bernie is sad.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Wheeee posted:

a barely-existent fringe group whose presence is blown wildly out of proportion by those who wish to disregard not only the fringe but also the more popular and difficult to dismiss movement of which they are a part?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Best Giraffe posted:

i mean, you can imagine it, and all, and modern medicine has already significantly extended lifespans and will continue to do so, but to handwave from this to functional immortality strikes me in the same way as computer people talking about the singularity: the Nerd Rapture, for people who like the good & cool science of biology.

on the other hand, maybe our dystopian future will be ruled by shriveled corpses kept alive by abominations of science. would we even be able to tell?

Well other than us not knowing how to do it, what is there specifically that prevents us from undoing aging? I.e. is there some property of a cell that is immutable? Some specific property of the organic composition of our bodies that is impossible to observe or alter? Our greatest limitation so far is the tools we have available. But there isn't anything preventing us from creating the tools. Note I'm not saying we will discover the method of immortality tomorrow, I'm just saying there isn't anything except ignorance stopping us. This isn't the case with FTL travel or free energy.

Same thing with creating a sentient AI. We can't do it today, but there isn't anything that is fundamentally impossible about it, in fact quite the opposite. Since we exist, there must be away to duplicate the process artificially.

Oh and the singularity is an ill-defined concept, so it's stupid to criticize it, based on your understanding of it, since almost certainly someone else idea of a singularity isn't the same as yours.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 02:12 on Apr 23, 2016

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

Idk man I'll get back to you in a decade when I'm qualified to say anything about it but until then viva la mort, my friend.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

barring a catastrophe(s) which destroys or permanently cripples global civilization, extended lifespans far beyond the natural limit are more or less inevitable

they are also more or less irrelevant right now as the best any of us will live to see is cloned organ transplants and limited gene therapy for the wealthy

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Best Giraffe posted:

Everyone votes for them eventually

Entropy/Death 2016: The Future's Promise, Today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

Ork of Fiction posted:

Entropy/Death 2016: The Future's Promise, Today!

Finally, a real accelerationist candidate!

• Locked thread