Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

homeless poster posted:

i was not amused when the second boss in the game had a phase 2, and then the third boss, and then loving every single boss had a phase 2. it stops being an interesting mechanic when it's just how bosses work now. like that was one of the defining moments of the fume knight fight in DS2, his second phase was a real challenge. now every goddamn boss fight is a 2 parter and it just makes the whole game a slog. okay game, i get it, every fight i'm going to breeze through the first 50% of the health bar no problem, and then i'm going to have 20-ish deaths figuring out all of the different insta-kill moves that phase 2 picks up, which often do neat things like clip through solid terrain, or track me behind the boss, or have hit boxes that clearly extend beyond the visual display of the attack animation. what an intense dark souls experience this is!

i was also thinking, what do you sequence break in ds3? like in ds1 you could obviously do a lot of weird poo poo (especially if you took the master key as your gift) and for as much poo poo as people gave ds2 about being linear, you at least had control over what order you wanted to go after the lord souls, but ds3 feels the most linear out of the whole series. outside of just skipping zones like boiling lake, it's not like you can do the road of sacrifice first and then go back and do lothric high wall.

You can get to parts of Lothric castle early by killing the shrine maiden and starting the Dancer fight early but other than that, not too much I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Broseph Brostar posted:

It's weird how everybody keeps saying that the ember max health system is a different framing of the DS2 mechanic, when its a direct copy of the system from Demon's Souls

Can't both statements be true? People are comparing it to DS2 because it was the last game in the series and a ton of the fanbase probably never played DeS.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Is High Lord Wolnir supposed to be really loving easy? Like, crazy easy.

If you don't understand the gimmick or get unlucky with what moves he uses, it can be a challenge. If he's polite, he's hands-down the game's easiest boss, including Iuedex Gundyr.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

homeless poster posted:

i was not amused when the second boss in the game had a phase 2, and then the third boss, and then loving every single boss had a phase 2. it stops being an interesting mechanic when it's just how bosses work now. like that was one of the defining moments of the fume knight fight in DS2, his second phase was a real challenge. now every goddamn boss fight is a 2 parter and it just makes the whole game a slog. okay game, i get it, every fight i'm going to breeze through the first 50% of the health bar no problem, and then i'm going to have 20-ish deaths figuring out all of the different insta-kill moves that phase 2 picks up, which often do neat things like clip through solid terrain, or track me behind the boss, or have hit boxes that clearly extend beyond the visual display of the attack animation. what an intense dark souls experience this is!

Wow, what a stupid complaint. "Oh, the bosses are more complex, better designed, and not pushovers. This loving sucks."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

deacons is the easiest boss.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

FallenGod posted:

Nothing like losing 160k souls because your bloodstain just doesn't have them. Guess it's my fault for trying sunbro invading one time.

BillmasterCozb posted:

try 679k souls

a ha ha, i should have bone homed instead of using an ember in the dungeon..

I was feeling pretty :shepicide: about losing 85k souls/the entirety of my collection to that point that I was about to go spend on my SL1 guy last night doing something exceedingly stupid in the undead settlement (rolling off a cliff by accident thanks to those stabby thrall fucks) but this made me feel a little better.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

I have never had a problem with this boss, co-op or otherwise. :psyduck: He spends the last quarter of the fight sitting on his butt doing nothing a lot of the time too.
I'm playing a dex pyromancer and this boss is pushing my poo poo in solo.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

homeless poster posted:

i was also thinking, what do you sequence break in ds3? like in ds1 you could obviously do a lot of weird poo poo (especially if you took the master key as your gift) and for as much poo poo as people gave ds2 about being linear, you at least had control over what order you wanted to go after the lord souls, but ds3 feels the most linear out of the whole series. outside of just skipping zones like boiling lake, it's not like you can do the road of sacrifice first and then go back and do lothric high wall.

1. if the boss suddenly moving quicker or getting an extra move makes you die 20 times you should see a doctor, something isn't right there
2. Dungeon vs. city, you can kill the dancer lady early if you're MLG too. What does any of this buy you? It's not like there were any skippable story parts in any souls game.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

i want to agree with you but they kicked my rear end first time because i was taking it safe.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Deacons is just annoying with how poo poo Poise is in this game. It's not hard once you get the basics down, but I hate getting continually hitstunned by dudes doing tiny pokes with their daggers or shooting little fireballs at me. Being able to roll into them only alleviates this a little.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dr. Carwash posted:

I think they actually just decided to make this game legit difficult. The random knights in the first area were harder to deal with then pretty much every boss in the base game of DS2.

You gotta be joking right - those knights are From-knights 101. If you can't beat those guys just uninstall the game.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
the rotten tree boss is basically a covetous demon wrt difficulty. the deacons at least ramp up their attacks eventually

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Hell incarnate with a sorcerer on your first playthrough

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I'm playing a dex pyromancer and this boss is pushing my poo poo in solo.

Use dark pyromancy and roll backwards, I have no idea why that would be an issue

Also respec out of dex pyromancer

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Genocyber posted:

Wow, what a stupid complaint. "Oh, the bosses are more complex, better designed, and not pushovers. This loving sucks."

Nah, he has a point. Aldrich is annoying as poo poo because his phase 1 is piss easy but his phase 2 pretty much came down to luck with that fire trail and arrow storm poo poo

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Robo Reagan posted:

Do you still do like 10% reduced damage on whatever is in your left hand? I'm left handed and the LoZ series is basically the only one where I got to play a leftie. :v:

Nope, I'm pretty sure that penalty is gone now. At least I feel like I've seen this mentioned somewhere and it was said to be gone. You might test it out yourself though.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
That makes more sense (a little, perhaps anyway!) so I guess its just worded pretty badly.

"Fallen characters lose some of the spark that makes them human. Because of this, your maximum health diminishes each time you die, making survival even harder in the future."

Ive only ever played BB so this whole humanity/ember thing is very alien to me.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

You gotta be joking right - those knights are From-knights 101. If you can't beat those guys just uninstall the game.

If he means those dudes who patrol up and down outside the cathedral where you join Way of the Blue, I'm almost certain that they're there as a tutorial on how the gently caress to parry/dodge because they are abnormally hard.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

Nah, he has a point. Aldrich is annoying as poo poo because his phase 1 is piss easy but his phase 2 pretty much came down to luck with that fire trail and arrow storm poo poo

The trick with Aldrich is simply to force him into phase 2 as fast as possible and divert 100% of your Estus away from Ashen, then pretend you're sort of trying to avoid stuff while mashing his tail when you can. He's a chug-and-hug sort of boss.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

You can't make it. You have to go through the ruins and go around to the other side

it's possible but really hard

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Mortimer posted:

Use dark pyromancy and roll backwards, I have no idea why that would be an issue

Also respec out of dex pyromancer
I have no dark pyromancies at the mo.

And yeah, it's been kind of an uphill battle.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Nope, I'm pretty sure that penalty is gone now. At least I feel like I've seen this mentioned somewhere and it was said to be gone. You might test it out yourself though.

I'd do this too since I'm also a lefty but wouldn't that gently caress up weapon arts and all that stuff? You could never do a heavy attack with a left-hand weapon because it'd always come out as a weapon art, and the reverse for your right-hand weapon/shield.

Also protip for anyone having trouble for killing knight-type enemies with a shield - kicking is your friend. Seriously. Use it.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Vintersorg posted:

I died to them once or twice and I didn't die to any boss in DS2 (base game). I didn't say they were insanely hard, but that they could actually combo you down (which is what every boss in DS2 lacked). It's pretty obvious the devs took complaints about DS2 to heart and amped up the bosses and random mooks for DS3.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can anyone recommend me a weapon with a fun moveset? I'm building mage-heavy despite magic being kind of crap but I do have 18 strength and 20 Dexterity to play with. So I'll probably take whatever is recommended and throw a crystal or simple gem on it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Robo Reagan posted:

If he means those dudes who patrol up and down outside the cathedral where you join Way of the Blue, I'm almost certain that they're there as a tutorial on how the gently caress to parry/dodge because they are abnormally hard.

It's also really easy to pull the two on the steps at the same time

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jimbot posted:

Can anyone recommend me a weapon with a fun moveset? I'm building mage-heavy despite magic being kind of crap but I do have 18 strength and 20 Dexterity to play with. So I'll probably take whatever is recommended and throw a crystal or simple gem on it.

I mean, it depends on what you consider fun. Do you like flowing from one attack to the other really smoothly or do you like putting a crater in the ground and waiting 3 seconds to do it again?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Complaining that bosses have multiple phases is like 20 years out of date. It's kind of a thing that almost all action games do, including a ton of bosses from previous Souls games.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
For real though, shieldhaver Pontiff knights are the best because they just turtle all day and then you can just kick them and visceral them and they can't do poo poo.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Anyone got tips for Aldritch? I've thrown my summon sign down a few times now to learn his patterns, but when it's me in the hotseat all the fucker does is spam the arrow rain and scythe blasts. I've learned to run from the arrows and dodge the wave but he just switches back from one to the other so I can't close to get him down. When I'm phantoming I do fine unless the host is an idiot (note: they are frequently idiots but at least twice now I've taken him out myself while the host runs and hides). I'm using the Crest shield to reduce dark damage and the Ithryll SS for fast attacks along with the ring that increases your damage if you can get multiple hits in.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WrightOfWay posted:

Complaining that bosses have multiple phases is like 20 years out of date. It's kind of a thing that almost all action games do, including a ton of bosses from previous Souls games.

Yea, because if there's one thing the series isn't known for it's people bitching about mechanics to vent instead of gitting gud

I mean, I can still think this is the best game ever but also think there's some annoying bullshit, right?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jimbot posted:

I admit a certain fondness for the Red-Hilted Halberd, especially since Perseverence is an overall useful weapon art. It's unfortunate that it's got very "eh" damage, because it's got the best of the halberd movesets and a weapon art that lets you make good use of them.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I feel like an idiot for never finding the bonfire located in Crucifixion Woods in my first game run as I always ran from the Halfway Fortress bonfire straight to the Crystal Sage Boss :doh:

Also, does anyone have any problem having the npc invader Yellowfinger Heysel spawn in the woods? I ran around embered and near the crabs and she never showed up. I got killed by a dark spirit eventually just running around trying to have her spawn

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Dragon's Tooth

SubponticatePoster posted:

Anyone got tips for Aldritch? I've thrown my summon sign down a few times now to learn his patterns, but when it's me in the hotseat all the fucker does is spam the arrow rain and scythe blasts. I've learned to run from the arrows and dodge the wave but he just switches back from one to the other so I can't close to get him down. When I'm phantoming I do fine unless the host is an idiot (note: they are frequently idiots but at least twice now I've taken him out myself while the host runs and hides). I'm using the Crest shield to reduce dark damage and the Ithryll SS for fast attacks along with the ring that increases your damage if you can get multiple hits in.

Pyromancy, literally 8 fireballs and he's dead

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vermain posted:

If you don't understand the gimmick or get unlucky with what moves he uses, it can be a challenge. If he's polite, he's hands-down the game's easiest boss, including Iuedex Gundyr.

Maybe it was just lucky that someone left a message saying to attack his hands.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

I mean, it depends on what you consider fun. Do you like flowing from one attack to the other really smoothly or do you like putting a crater in the ground and waiting 3 seconds to do it again?

Both sound fun but it has to be the former. Stamina management in this game has been a problem for me. Endurance just gives you piddly squat.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Aim for rear

Roll
A lot

E: dont lock on either

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mortimer posted:

Dragon's Tooth

Pyromancy, literally 8 fireballs and he's dead

How high do you need to upgrade your flame/which pyromancies do you need to not do poo poo damage? Mine is at like +6 but it does poo poo damage. Though tbf I'm still using the basic fireball. Too souls starved from trying to keep my main stats up to scratch to up int or whatever it is you need for higher level fireballs.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Stop running away from Aldrich and stay right next to him. I don't care if he's shooting arrows at you, run around him.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

His tail is his major weakness. When he vanishes into the ground, go to the middle and then run to the direct opposite end of the room from him, then lure the arrow rain around the room so that you loop back around to him, and then slash at his tail until he dives. Equip whatever you have that gives you solid Magic and Fire resistance, as he does those damage types primarily.

Robo Reagan posted:

How high do you need to upgrade your flame/which pyromancies do you need to not do poo poo damage? Mine is at like +6 but it does poo poo damage. Though tbf I'm still using the basic fireball. Too souls starved from trying to keep my main stats up to scratch to up int or whatever it is you need for higher level fireballs.

Pyromancy scales off of a sum of INT and FTH, capping at 30/30. If you're not leveling up INT and FTH, it's going to do garbage damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Desperate Character posted:

Also, does anyone have any problem having the npc invader Yellowfinger Heysel spawn in the woods? I ran around embered and near the crabs and she never showed up. I got killed by a dark spirit eventually just running around trying to have her spawn

Going near the Farron Keep entrance would usually get her to pop up for me, and I'd lure her to that island to fight so the giant crabs wouldn't interfere. She will also invade you in Farron Keep near the basilisks if you can't her to spawn in the woods.