Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Is the Greatjon considered dead in the show? Or are you just assuming that since he hasn't been seen for a few seasons now?

(Which is/would be a shame, because Clive Mantle was loving awesome.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So just in case you were under any illusion to the contrary it is confirmed that Dorne WILL be in Episode 1.

gently caress

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

neckbeard posted:

Has anyone tried the new Game of Thrones beer? http://www.ommegang.com/got/seven_kingdoms.php

Its bad. I've been so disappointed with every one after the 2nd. The first was ok. The stout was good.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Jerkface posted:

Its bad. I've been so disappointed with every one after the 2nd. The first was ok. The stout was good.

Take the Black Stout was the only one I had, and it was DAAAAMN good. I ordered it without even knowing about the GoT connection and was blown away by it.

Sad to hear their other ones have been a huge bust (tee hee)

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Dolash posted:

It'd be funny if Gendry came back in the show and was legitimized as the new head of House Baratheon at some post-downfall-of-the-Lannisters point, since he's the only surviving one of Robert's bastards in the show. I mean, probably not, since if he was recognized as an heir to Robert then presto-surprise that's also a claim on the Iron Throne, also because he's a regular blacksmithing dude who doesn't want to rule anything (assuming there's anything left of House Baratheon to rule, we've never seen the Stormlands). I can imagine the show will just never acknowledge the Storm Lands or explain who runs them again.

On the topic of heirs, if Jon really is taking it to the Boltons this season does that mean he's claiming the mantle of Lord Stark? His formal claim is pretty weak (even laying aside his actual parentage) but if he's at least known then maybe that'll be enough to rally the other Northerners. Interesting the Mormonts are on his side, might be that they heard how close he and the late Lord-Commander Mormont were. The Hornwoods are presumably just "Generic pro-Stark Northern House", while the Karstarks have bad blood from Rob executing Rickard and I guess the Umbers are the surprise twist since the Greatjon (if anyone remembers him) was pro-Stark so his son turning over Rickon is unexpected.

Jon's big secret heritage as both a Stark and a Targ is mostly talked about in terms of him being a contender for the Iron Throne, but if he survives the series could he "settle" for just being King in the North or Warden of the North under whoever holds the Iron Throne? He's not really suited to be a Southern King and it's hard to imagine him pressing his claim against Dany or anyone else. I could imagine the series ending with him rebuilding Winterfell.

Edit: if they go into the reason for why the Umbers side against Jon, my guesses will be either the Smalljon blames the Starks for his father dying fighting for Rob or he's mad that Jon is siding with the Wildlings. Or both.

Umbers would have to be a mix of "pragmatism" and mad that they sided with Wildlings, because blaming Starks for his father's death kinda does match with allying with the guy who killed him.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So just in case you were under any illusion to the contrary it is confirmed that Dorne WILL be in Episode 1.

gently caress

I hope we get to see the bad pussy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I hope we get to see the bad pussy.

One could say that we need it.

I'm sorry.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I'm much more looking forward to seeing Good Pussy: Ser Pounce!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Beeez posted:

The cat was such a pain in the rear end to film that hey will never do it again.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The cat was such a pain in the rear end to film that hey will never do it again.

I guess it was a lot like herding cats :downsrim:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
See Pounce was just defending his right against Natalie Dormer.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I wish I could defend my right against Natalie Dormer.

By that I mean gently caress her with my penis.

Those eyes.....she looks like a sexy alien.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Natalie Dormer looks like an elf more than anyone in the world. Why the Peter Jackson movies didn't scoop her up instead of the Lost woman, I don't know.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Do you think Evangeline Lilly and Liv Tyler are the same person?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

WampaLord posted:

Do you think Evangeline Lilly and Liv Tyler are the same person?

Although Liv Tyler plays an elf in three Peter Jackson films, Evangeline Lilly plays an elf in three entirely different Peter Jackson films as well.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is my first year having HBO Go. I live in the Pacific time zone - is anyone familiar with what time the episodes come available on the app?

According to this tweet from HBO Go Help, it'll be available at the same time (give or take a few minutes) that it airs.

https://twitter.com/HBOGOhelp/status/722871371253067776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

It airs 9pm EST and 6pm PST. So you should be able to stream it at 6pm on Sunday. I'm Pacific time, too, and I picked up HBO Now just for the show.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I'll be buying this season on iTunes when it comes out, so I suppose I'm looking at a wait of some two months until all the episodes have aired? Still beats waiting until next March for the DVDs as I've done in the past, at least.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Proposition Joe posted:

Although Liv Tyler plays an elf in three Peter Jackson films, Evangeline Lilly plays an elf in three entirely different Peter Jackson films as well.

Haha, shows me, I never watched the Hobbit movies.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Haha, shows me, I never watched the Hobbit movies.

if there is a home-video version of the HFR release, the first one is okay. Being a shut in that likes games I liked that poo poo a lot more than I like the 22.4 or whatever it is film uses.

The other two movies are seriously just one movie with a shitload of bloat. You could argue for all three movies honestly.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

OYSTERS, CLAMS, AND CUCKOLDS!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
All three Hobbit movies are uniformly awful, and I say that as a massive Jackson-LOTR fanboy. I even like the 4-hour ROTK extended version!

There's a handful of okay bits here and there, but honestly if you haven't seen any of them I really wouldn't bother.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

gently caress

It's telling that there hasn't been a single mention of Dorne or a frame of it in any of the marketing hype. Maybe they'll only have Doctor Bashir scenes and they'll give him something to do and it'll be better?

Edit:

webmeister posted:

All three Hobbit movies are uniformly awful, and I say that as a massive Jackson-LOTR fanboy. I even like the 4-hour ROTK extended version!

There's a handful of okay bits here and there, but honestly if you haven't seen any of them I really wouldn't bother.

As a dwarf fortress fan, I almost got an erection during all the shots of the dwarf fortress in the opening of the first one. It was fun to see Gandalf being Gandalf some more too, but otherwise... yeah.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The most unforgivable part of the dorne scenes is they had this angry guy just silently brooding all season, and at the end he's like "kiss the ring, and no I won't tell you poo poo"

Doran is supposed to look like sweetrobin all grown up all loving weak as a kitten and weepy eyed and staring out at children playing in pools and not giving people the bloodlust reponse they want until he takes one person, one loving person into his confidence and whispers (i'm actually planning something cool give me a minute)

They robbed of us of that and took all that seething anger and made it text but with no substance.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's telling that there hasn't been a single mention of Dorne or a frame of it in any of the marketing hype. Maybe they'll only have Doctor Bashir scenes and they'll give him something to do and it'll be better?

There were a couple of shots of Indira Varma in the most recent trailer and I'm fairly sure we've seen at least Areo Hotah and Doran in some behind the scenes stuff. So those three at least are in it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

T Here were promo shots released yesterday and one of them was of Dorne.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I hadn't seen any mention of it before, and I didn't notice any Dorne in the trailers, but then I didn't analyze them frame by frame so.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Can't wait to see how David and Dan manage to poo poo all over us this season!

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I'm currently in the process of creating the yearly bingo sheet for this upcoming season and my strategy has been to try to use images from the previous season to symbolize each thing. However, for the "Justice" slot there is legitimately no options from Season 5. What was the best/happiest/satisfying thing that happened in Season 5? The only two positive things that happened in the season finale, for example, were Theon killing Myranda, undercut by him and Sansa seemingly plumeting to their deaths immediately afterwards, and Arya killing Meryn, which is undercut by her being blinded immediately afterwards. And if nobodies like Myranda and Meryn are the only bones thrown to the audience you know something's wrong. And the rest of the season finale - indeed, the rest of the season - was just the other characters getting poo poo on and hung out to dry. The audience can't even celebrate something like Stannis' downfall despite the showrunners best attempts to vilify him because it meant a Bolton victory instead and they're way worse.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The trailers didn't show Dorne but the most recent promo pictures show Ellaria and Doran.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

In It For The Tank posted:

I'm currently in the process of creating the yearly bingo sheet for this upcoming season and my strategy has been to try to use images from the previous season to symbolize each thing. However, for the "Justice" slot there is legitimately no options from Season 5. What was the best/happiest/satisfying thing that happened in Season 5? The only two positive things that happened in the season finale, for example, were Theon killing Myranda, undercut by him and Sansa seemingly plumeting to their deaths immediately afterwards, and Arya killing Meryn, which is undercut by her being blinded immediately afterwards. And if nobodies like Myranda and Meryn are the only bones thrown to the audience you know something's wrong. And the rest of the season finale - indeed, the rest of the season - was just the other characters getting poo poo on and hung out to dry. The audience can't even celebrate something like Stannis' downfall despite the showrunners best attempts to vilify him because it meant a Bolton victory instead and they're way worse.

Jon beheading Slynt?

Or just the sword Ice.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Oh yeah, that happened. You're right. It totally slipped my mind because it happened so early on and it's such a minor victory. Is that it though? I'm wracking my brains for anything else. Even stuff that seems good like Cersei's downfall and Dany taming Drogon is always mired by something like "the Faith Militant is now in power" and "Dany abandoned her friends and left them to rule a city that is actively trying to kill them and she got taken prisoner by a group of slavers and rapists".

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The trailers didn't show Dorne but the most recent promo pictures show Ellaria and Doran.
One thing I love about show Dorne is how it looks. Those patio gardens really is the best part of Spain and the Mediterranean. The Romans/Arabs really had the best ideas.

Sam also apparently has a small scene in the Girona Arab baths, so look out for them.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If you don't have the courage to put the shot of Brienne executing Stannis under "Justice" then I question your judgment on the whole Bingo card.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Dolash posted:

If you don't have the courage to put the shot of Brienne executing Stannis under "Justice" then I question your judgment on the whole Bingo card.

Stannis is already "Somebody fucks up big time".

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

In It For The Tank posted:

Stannis is already "Somebody fucks up big time".

Surely this should be the season 5 box set DVDs

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Beeez posted:

He is also a bad pussy

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Sansa found out that bran and Rickon are still alive.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Oh yes more Dorne so the production company can't screw around in warm Spain instead of making the show good. I think they drink all day when filming Dorne episodes. Who am I kidding they drink all day every day to make tits and dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Dolash posted:

Considering she's doing it in revenge for his assassination of his brother I think it's about as justicey as it gets from a narrative standpoint. And his last line to her indicates to me at least that he knew he had it coming.

Never mind the whole burning his own daughter to death thing.

• Locked thread