Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jimbot posted:

Both sound fun but it has to be the former. Stamina management in this game has been a problem for me. Endurance just gives you piddly squat.

The uchigatana has a pretty nice moveset that transitions between moves pretty smoothly. I don't normally care about animations in video games, but I do like the uchi's. That and it's weaponset is a sheath and quickdraw parry which is samurai movie as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Robo Reagan posted:

How high do you need to upgrade your flame/which pyromancies do you need to not do poo poo damage? Mine is at like +6 but it does poo poo damage. Though tbf I'm still using the basic fireball. Too souls starved from trying to keep my main stats up to scratch to up int or whatever it is you need for higher level fireballs.
Your pyromancy damage scales with INT and FTH, so you're likely pretty low on those if your damage isn't great. Stacking pyro and fire damage rings are also a tremendous help.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Aldrich seems like one of those bosses where if he (she? I literally don't pay attention to the lore at all I just wanna kill things ok) gives you a bad pattern there's no a whole lot you can do.

This probably means I need to practice this fight more.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Going near the Farron Keep entrance would usually get her to pop up for me, and I'd lure her to that island to fight so the giant crabs wouldn't interfere. She will also invade you in Farron Keep near the basilisks if you can't her to spawn in the woods.

The one place that I have always seen her consistently invade at is the corpse with the Knight Set.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Pyromancy is good as soon as you get Fire Orb. Regular Fireball is garbage.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You can also get a few extra shots in as he is burrowing in. I 1-shot him with only 8 flasks available - he's honestly not that hard.

ODK is my kryptonite tho - that fucker wrecks so hard. May need to go back soon.

Cleared that stupid area out for the most part tho - but I saw a lava floor - reminded me of the amazing tunnels from Demons Souls where you go to deep and its just lava and beetles.

e:

Look at this poo poo -- god I need it in HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01m69sbVqhk

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Also gently caress you mimics for not giving me your stupid mimic head thing. I want my huge bonus souls after boss kills.

e: Chaos fire orb loving owns and I love that spell so much.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Is a Blessed Infusion justifiable on any weapon as a Herald with light Faith allotment?

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Aldrich? More like little bitch
Don't lock on, hit the tail, run the gently caress away when he whips out his bow.

e

bonus image

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Desperate Character posted:

I feel like an idiot for never finding the bonfire located in Crucifixion Woods in my first game run as I always ran from the Halfway Fortress bonfire straight to the Crystal Sage Boss :doh:

Also, does anyone have any problem having the npc invader Yellowfinger Heysel spawn in the woods? I ran around embered and near the crabs and she never showed up. I got killed by a dark spirit eventually just running around trying to have her spawn

That NPC will not spawn if 1) You already beat the boss of the area or 2) You joined Rosaria's Fingers.

The Rokstar posted:

Also gently caress you mimics for not giving me your stupid mimic head thing. I want my huge bonus souls after boss kills.

There is a trick to farming the same one over and over again without killing it. Throw an Undead Hunter Charm at it, check for the head, if not, reset game and throw again.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Steak Eater posted:

Is a Blessed Infusion justifiable on any weapon as a Herald with light Faith allotment?

The damage on Blessed weapons is pretty piss, unfortunately. I slap the one gem you get from Cathedral onto a Mace and use it to kill white eyed skeletons, but that's about it.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vermain posted:

His tail is his major weakness. When he vanishes into the ground, go to the middle and then run to the direct opposite end of the room from him, then lure the arrow rain around the room so that you loop back around to him, and then slash at his tail until he dives. Equip whatever you have that gives you solid Magic and Fire resistance, as he does those damage types primarily.

Pyromancy scales off of a sum of INT and FTH, capping at 30/30. If you're not leveling up INT and FTH, it's going to do garbage damage.

Shame, between balancing health because stuff hits harder in this game, dex so I can actually kill poo poo, and vit so I'm not fatrolling, paired with the fact that souls seem harder to get/keep in this game I'm having a rough time getting faith up. Maybe I should get the Shield of Want and farm some souls for a bit instead of faceramming bosses until they die.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Jimbot posted:

Both sound fun but it has to be the former. Stamina management in this game has been a problem for me. Endurance just gives you piddly squat.

It honestly feels like vigor is a requirement in this game, which kinda sucks. With 40 vig, some endgame enemies could still hit me for half my bar, I know the solution is to Git Gud, but still.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Cyberventurer posted:

So I decided to make a new character from scratch and I'm trying to invade at the first area of the game to fight people my own skill level other low-leveled players, and I'm not getting any bites. Has the game already been out so long that nobody's really there to run into? I'm only level 8 with a +1 raw weapon.

If you're trying to invade in the area after the first boss, keep in mind either people are going to be decent and through that area pretty quick or bad and die, losing their ember. It may even be that the game doesn't allow invasions there, but if you've been able to use cracked orbs that would be odd.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

voltcatfish posted:

It honestly feels like vigor is a requirement in this game, which kinda sucks. With 40 vig, some endgame enemies could still hit me for half my bar, I know the solution is to Git Gud, but still.

I'd say 20 Vigor is about the minimum you can get away with comfortably, though this varies depending on your absorption.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Vermain posted:

The damage on Blessed weapons is pretty piss, unfortunately. I slap the one gem you get from Cathedral onto a Mace and use it to kill white eyed skeletons, but that's about it.

Well that's a bummer. I figured I'd be resorting to that but I was kind of hoping the damage was acceptable. Guess I'm waiting to make my Astora Straight Sword lightning.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Rokstar posted:

Wearing the mimic head for boss fights sounds like hard-mode to me. Would be a fun NG+ trick.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Rokstar posted:

Kill all 12 in the game, last one's a guaranteed drop.

And most of them are in the Irithyll Dungeon/Profane Valley region anyway so you won't even have to look very hard.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I like tossing a Blessed Gem on my shield, though. You get the minor health regen at the cost of a small penalty to block absorption which is probably a worthy trade-off if you do block and is obviously just free if you avoid 90% of attacks by rolling/moving and either live with a shield on your back or just use it to parry/weaponskill while one-handing your main weapon.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Wearing the mimic head for boss fights sounds like hard-mode to me. Would be a fun NG+ trick.

You can just swap it before you obtain the souls, sort of like in DS2. The window to do so appears to be a lot more generous this time around.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

turtlecrunch posted:

Hell incarnate with a sorcerer on your first playthrough

Couldn't you just spam greatsword to clear out huge chunks of them?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Rokstar posted:

There's a way to farm the mimic head without killing them if you feel like being cheap.

Throw an Undead Hunter Charm at them. They'll do an animation where they stretch and yawn and there will be a chance for the head to appear. You can do this forever until it drops because you're not killing them. Another fun note is that any damage you do during their yawn won't wake them up so if you keep getting gobbled by mimics you can cheese them with the charms.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

You put it on after the boss is dead but before the souls drop triggers. You have a few seconds so you might be able to get the Shield of Want, Silver Serpent Ring and Mimic Hat all on if you are really fast.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Internet Kraken posted:

Couldn't you just spam greatsword to clear out huge chunks of them?

No, they are resistant to magic.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Robo Reagan posted:

Shame, between balancing health because stuff hits harder in this game, dex so I can actually kill poo poo, and vit so I'm not fatrolling, paired with the fact that souls seem harder to get/keep in this game I'm having a rough time getting faith up. Maybe I should get the Shield of Want and farm some souls for a bit instead of faceramming bosses until they die.

If you're gonna pyromance go all the way. With Int/Fth Flame Weapon will let you sword things and heavy armor is unnecessary. Increasingly larger Fire Orbs trivialize large enemies and bosses. It's DS2 1.0 lightning spear levels of busted in PvE.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Friend posted:

If you're gonna pyromance go all the way. With Int/Fth Flame Weapon will let you sword things and heavy armor is unnecessary. Increasingly larger Fire Orbs trivialize large enemies and bosses. It's DS2 1.0 lightning spear levels of busted in PvE.

I usually build a bit more general than that. Faith for miracles in coop, dex because I like being quick and dodgy, and I usually use pyro as more of a harassment in PvP thing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

WrightOfWay posted:

You put it on after the boss is dead but before the souls drop triggers. You have a few seconds so you might be able to get the Shield of Want, Silver Serpent Ring and Mimic Hat all on if you are really fast.

I'd rather just do quick laps of Ithryl with the baby pontiff knights.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

All of the Pyromancy boss strategies on Fextralife right now can be summarized as, "Shoot Great Chaos Fire Orb at the boss and dodge his attacks. When he gets to 50% health, continue to shoot Great Chaos Fire Orb at the boss."

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

What armor are you using? I had 30 vigor at the end of the game and I don't think anything except for the like super obvious 8 second charge up boss attacks could kill me in less than three hits. That's pretty much always been my metric in these games: if I can't gently caress up two boss attacks in a row without dying then it's time to get more HP.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Vermain posted:

All of the Pyromancy boss strategies on Fextralife right now can be summarized as, "Shoot Great Chaos Fire Orb at the boss and dodge his attacks. When he gets to 50% health, continue to shoot Great Chaos Fire Orb at the boss."

Not wrong.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Mortimer posted:

Dragon's Tooth

Vintersorg posted:

Aim for rear

Roll
A lot

E: dont lock on either

Vermain posted:

His tail is his major weakness. When he vanishes into the ground, go to the middle and then run to the direct opposite end of the room from him, then lure the arrow rain around the room so that you loop back around to him, and then slash at his tail until he dives. Equip whatever you have that gives you solid Magic and Fire resistance, as he does those damage types primarily.
All right I'll try lighting his rear end up (literally), thanks.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
I've been trying to summon people for the past few days for Aldrich and all I get is "unable to summon phantom". During that time, I can't rest at the bonfire or change my covenant item. What gives? My internet isn't that bad and I have summoned people before no problem.

I've read that hollowing affects this? But it can't be the cause of "unable to summon phantom" type of thing. I've tried to summon at least 20 different people and that's all I've gotten.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Oh one other thing for Aldrich is his fire on the floor is deceptive, most of the time you won't take a whole lot of damage from it and it won't hinder you, so once again continue wedging up his rear end in phase 2, fire or no. I discovered this was a thing for people last night on my co-op run when my friend complained he couldn't get close enough to attack because eeeeeeeeeee fireeeee (hops up on chair)!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Vermain posted:

Remove the dodge part and that's dead accurate

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
A really easy way to farm quick souls/large titanite shards later in the game with chaos orb is the Anor Londo bonfire. Equip all the +fire damage rings and the silver covetous ring (as well as the shield of want + mimic head if you have those) and chaos orb the spear silver knight while you back up to the rotating stairs where he will de-aggro. Keep baiting his spear-dive into the stairway so you get the full damage on him. Finish him off with the Crystal Sage Rapier for a better chance of shards and then do the same for the sword silver knight.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
So, there are exactly two instances that reliably kick me into offline play for alleged framerate reasons.

One is after assisting someone at Abyss Watchers - makes sense, for whatever reason that room fucks my framerate when I'm not fighting the boss, and adding on the post-boss processing might kick it over the edge.

The other is when I'm talking to Ludleth the Exiled at Firelink. :psyduck:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

I'd rather just do quick laps of Ithryl with the baby pontiff knights.

Honestly the Shield of Want is a really good shield if you can use it anyway (or good thing to hang on your back if you 2hand 100% of the time for the souls), and four ring slots means it's not a big deal to wear the Silver Dragon Ring for the entire boss fight (I'm p sure I had one of the Covetous rings on 100% of the time, most of the rings have negligible benefits on a non-caster in PVE)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I feel like the only way mimics will ever catch a veteran player off guard nowadays is if their locations were randomized each playthrough.

turtlecrunch posted:

No, they are resistant to magic.

Ah. The bane of any magic build.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Anor Londo has made me so glad I played both of the previous games before this one. Nostalgia!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I kind of miss the powerful rings from Dark Souls actually, having four slots and weaker rings is probably like objectively better from a balance point of view but it's not like there were only two good rings in Dark Souls or something (Havel/DWGR is infamous but off the top of my head FAP and Wolf were just as generically good, Hornet was great for crit weapons and PVP, the Covetous rings had a larger downside to choosing to wear them while you fought a boss or farmed, etc)