Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

NikkolasKing posted:

What's the consensus on Golden Sun?
Pretty bad in hindsight. Really slow and not much to it even if you emulate and speedup.

It does have an adorable bit at the start of the second game where if you tell your character to check for injuries after a shipwreck he will shake his arms and then his legs and then the dialogue will tell you they all work so you're fine :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
bravely second is pretty good so far. don't know that adding choices between class unlocks proves the game at all, but its a way to mix things up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hubris.height posted:

bravely second is pretty good so far. don't know that adding choices between class unlocks proves the game at all, but its a way to mix things up.

Basically you only pick between old classes and it's there to encourage you to try out the new tricks rather than just defaulting to what you used in the first game.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/723226293769277441

Oh, cool. It's a bit flawed and you need to have a bit of a grinding mentality for it though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

HGH posted:

Oh, cool. It's a bit flawed and you need to have a bit of a grinding mentality for it though.

I was hoping it'd get a Steam release. How does it compare to Demon Gaze (for grinding)?

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

HGH posted:

How have things been going with them for Disgaea? Are they releasing the rest of the series on steam or have they said yet?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Levantine posted:

I was hoping it'd get a Steam release. How does it compare to Demon Gaze (for grinding)?

It's a hardcore Wizardry clone with character permadeath.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Psygnosis posted:

How have things been going with them for Disgaea? Are they releasing the rest of the series on steam or have they said yet?

They havnt said anything yet as far as I know. I hope it did well enough to at least warrant another game port.

Preferably Makai Kingdom. :getin:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Phantom Brave was listed in the steam DB, presumably that's next but NISA might be trying to shore up their pc porting team right now.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

My dream is that someday NIS releases their only good game, Soul Nomad, on Steam.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

My favorite thing about Golden Sun is that around two thirds of the way through the game the characters actually have a 15 minute discussion where they ask each other what have been doing the whole time and if anyone knows what they're supposed to be doing. That just sums up the whole game.

Tae posted:

Phantom Brave was listed in the steam DB, presumably that's next but NISA might be trying to shore up their pc porting team right now.

Also this is extremely good, presumably it will have all the improvements across the versions and maybe some enterprising fan comes up with a way to unlock all classes and items at will.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I feel bad for Golden Sun fans because they waited like 8 years for a third game, then it happened, and it's loving dreadful or something

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

voltcatfish posted:

I feel bad for Golden Sun fans because they waited like 8 years for a third game, then it happened, and it's loving dreadful or something

And it ended on a cliffhanger. It's like the ultimate case of "How not to use your last chance".

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

mycot posted:

And it ended on a cliffhanger. It's like the ultimate case of "How not to use your last chance".

Is it true that you spend most of the game doing something unrelated to the plot and then the cliffhanger happens when everyone remembers it?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

It's funny because it's really around as good as the originals, just released 10 years later

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is it true that you spend most of the game doing something unrelated to the plot and then the cliffhanger happens when everyone remembers it?

Yes. The ending is the main cast going "oh yeah that thing." Credits

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Honestly I don't know how stuff like that keeps happening. The last totally delusional example I remember was that Sly Cooper revival game a couple years ago ending on a sequel hook, because they somehow thought a loving new Sly Cooper game was guaranteed to get another sequel.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Cake Attack posted:

It's funny because it's really around as good as the originals, just released 10 years later

I don't think the originals ever blocked you off from returning to an entire segment of game/landmass the size of Russia for no clear reason?

Also I just learned today that the first Golden Sun does have a subtitle, "The Broken Seal."

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dark Dawn:

You spend 90 percent of your quest looking for a Roc Feather, you get the Roc Feather and there's no payoff. Some loathsome oval office causes the apocalypse and you don't even get to kill him, because he feels bad about it. You stop the apocalypse and go home and find it under threat by the BIg Bad Thing that was mentioned in the first 10 minutes and promptly forgotten about. Roll credits.

There are 8 playable characters even though you never need more than 4. The last one shows up in the final hour of gameplay.

This game should be studied in courses, where the lesson is "Don't do this".

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 21, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Caphi posted:

I don't think the originals ever blocked you off from returning to an entire segment of game/landmass the size of Russia for no clear reason?

Also I just learned today that the first Golden Sun does have a subtitle, "The Broken Seal."

Heck if it's anything like the first two games I think losing access to a chunk of the boring world map is a blessing in disguise.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

maybe just as good was an exaggerates, but most complaints seem to be about the writing which was never good. and I guess losing access to a chunk of the world map is technically a flaw, but I honestly don't care because what reason is there to want to backtrack?

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Tonfa posted:

My favorite thing about Golden Sun is that around two thirds of the way through the game the characters actually have a 15 minute discussion where they ask each other what have been doing the whole time and if anyone knows what they're supposed to be doing. That just sums up the whole game.

Also this is extremely good, presumably it will have all the improvements across the versions and maybe some enterprising fan comes up with a way to unlock all classes and items at will.

Considering Disgaea PC featured all of the QOL improvements found in the various revisions I don't see why Phantom Brave wouldn't be the same.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Cake Attack posted:

maybe just as good was an exaggerates, but most complaints seem to be about the writing which was never good. and I guess losing access to a chunk of the world map is technically a flaw, but I honestly don't care because what reason is there to want to backtrack?

I think there was a bunch of stuff you could miss as a result of that, like Djinn. I don't believe the first two games ever pulled something like that.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Cake Attack posted:

It's actually worse, because its puzzles are not as good, and it lacks a lot of the little optional gimmicks the originals had. Also its plot is basically a giant sidequest that happens after they get roadblocked from the main plot, and then they suddenly remember that the main plot is still unresolved at the end of the game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
But if they don't end the story, they'll definitely get to make another game for sure!

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The worst bit of Golden Sun was for some reason they thought having text that would keep moving was a great idea for a portable game. I could never get past the intro without feeling sick if I was playing on the bus. otoh it meant I played Mario World instead so maybe it was a good thing considering how GS turned out v:v:v

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
The different classes of Golden Sun were pretty fun.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

that was probably the highlight of the game. it's a shame that all fights were designed so that a 2 year old could beat them. it seems like things could have been great. sacrificing stat-boosting djinn for temporary dps/debuffs/summon capabilities could have been cool. like two-handing your weapon in dark souls. but the difficulty just isn't there.

there exists a hardtype patch for golden sun and the lost age. i kinda want to play them to see if the combat is cool but also don't want to have to mash through golden sun text.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I got to the Final Boss of Dark Dawn, lost because it was the only thing in the game that wasn't braindead easy and I wasn't paying attention, and then decided I didn't care enough to beat him. I never got to the cliffhanger so I suppose I had completely forgotten the main plot existed.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

golden sun had cool classes and an absolute ton of weapons with chances on hit to do bonus effects a lot of which had custom animations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

its really bad in s5 because it takes a long time to load a combat that you finish in like 2 seconds and then it looooooooooooooaaaaaaaaads the area again, repeat 1000000x

if the combats loaded super fast then it wouldn't be a problem

suikoden 5 gets about 10 times more enjoyable once you get a champion orb so you can kill like 3 enemy groups, level up a bunch, and then not fight anything else for the rest of the dungeon

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Fetus posted:

I think there was a bunch of stuff you could miss as a result of that, like Djinn. I don't believe the first two games ever pulled something like that.

You can miss a summon or two as well, I think.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Comments on the JP console market by SO5's producer

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1206014

quote:

Kobayashi: In Japan, I feel that consumer [interest] in console games is dwindling right now. At Square Enix, as a whole, I feel that it's very dangerous for even us. Of course there are big titles like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Kingdom Hearts--we have those--but I feel that all the other IPs Square Enix holds are all falling into the most casual line, like mobile games. I also feel that the Japanese market for consumer titles is getting smaller.
Q: You say the console market is dwindling in Japan, and mobile is more popular--I'm curious how you feel about the state of Japanese role-playing games as a genre?

This is my personal thought on JRPGs: As Dragon Quest was the beginning of the breakout of JRPGs in general, I feel that JRPGs are something that anyone can reach the ending of, no matter what kind of skill set they have. As long as they put the time into it, they can always definitely reach the end. That gives a satisfying or fulfilling feeling to a player. I feel that being able to role-play and adventure and journey in a world as the protagonist is what makes a JRPG a JRPG, and what makes it good. The JRPGs out now are grounded in Japanese culture, where you can become a protagonist of something like Japanese anime or manga, and experience being one of them in a scenario-driven game. Once you finish, it stays with you, in your memory--it becomes a part of your experience. I feel that JRPGs won't change as long as that doesn't change.

Because a lot of those type of games and IPs are becoming more mobile, they become more casual. I feel that the Japanese as developers are losing the technology and techniques and skill sets to be able to create those [less casual] kind of games. We do need to start learning from Western games and the technologies they use. Just as Final Fantasy XV is taking on a new challenge to create that kind of game, I feel Square Enix is moving towards taking on more of that kind of challenge. I personally need to take on that challenge with the Star Ocean series, as well.

I feel sad that there aren't that many Japanese games coming to the West anymore. I'm very surprised how much the American culture has changed since the last time he personally oversaw a game release in America, in the West. I really need to learn even more, moving forward.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'd say there's more games being localized now than before. Unless he means there's just less games in general to bring over in the first place.

Judging by the gameplay complaints here he seems pretty clueless as to why his game sucked though, and that's not something American technology is gonna fix.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I saw that The Banner Saga 2 was out with kinda surprisingly little fanfare or marketing. Does anyone know if they changed the combat mechanics to be more fun? I don't know how to better express that, but I definitely was not playing TBS1 for its tactical combat, probably because that shared strength and health system did not actually make for a great tactical combat mechanic. And I guess the shallow character development (mechanically, not narratively) didn't help much either.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

That producer needs to be fired yesterday

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Tae posted:

That producer needs to be fired yesterday

I dunno, it just comes off more like a substanceless interview. "Japanese developers have been moving towards mobile so we're collectively not keeping up our technology and skillsets to produce big games." "The Japanese console market is shrinking!" Yeah, any more hot takes? Your game still apparently sucks.

HGH posted:

I'd say there's more games being localized now than before. Unless he means there's just less games in general to bring over in the first place.

I think he means the latter and he's also talking AAA.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I am Setsuna got an official release date for July 19th.

Tales of Berseria isn't coming out until 2017.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Tae posted:

I am Setsuna got an official release date for July 19th.

Tales of Berseria isn't coming out until 2017.

Tales getting some more time to get properly worked on is for the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Erg posted:

Tales getting some more time to get properly worked on is for the best

Oh, you misunderstood. Berseria is still coming out in August, it's just not coming to the West until 2017.