Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Reading through the chapter again, I just want to say how much I love that Mt. Lady wears a loving truck on her foot to axe kick through the outside of the warehouse and the hero (and his power) who slips in through the door. Horikoshi really does know how to fabricate characters that despite only being "side characters", are compelling and creative. Speaking of, I need to see more character cameos from Oumagadoki. We've gotten Uwabami and Sakamata, we just need an animal from the circus. If it's going by relative popularity, I'll bet it's Toytoy. :v:

kinmik fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Uuuh, Mt. Lady isn't a side character, she's the best character.

(But yeah, that attention to detail in a weekly is pretty great)

ahiwattamplifier
May 3, 2014
I don’t know whether this was the author’s intention or not, but for me, the genius of this series lies in its critique of ideology, represented by All Might’s self-awareness of the fact that his role of symbolic justice supersedes what he actually does as a hero.
Even more important than his actual physical state of powerlessness, the polarity of Izuku and Katsuki’s characters prove the failure in the trappings of a hero centric society, as they are seen as weaker than All Might or any other veteran hero simply because of the outwardness of the way they display their emotions and personality. People’s adoration of heroism as a symbol robs a hero their right of individuality and that will become society’s bane.

I'm a dumb nerd who cares too much about animes

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's the chapter in Korean.

http://www.shencomics.com/archives/1644351

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 21, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooly poo poo the boss takes the stage.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 21, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Okay, post the spoliered stuff after you post the untranslated chapter please.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My apologies, and I have turned back the flow of time to bend space and time itself to protect innocents from those nasty spoilers.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Proper use of time traveling powers.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ahiwattamplifier posted:

I don’t know whether this was the author’s intention or not, but for me, the genius of this series lies in its critique of ideology, represented by All Might’s self-awareness of the fact that his role of symbolic justice supersedes what he actually does as a hero.
Even more important than his actual physical state of powerlessness, the polarity of Izuku and Katsuki’s characters prove the failure in the trappings of a hero centric society, as they are seen as weaker than All Might or any other veteran hero simply because of the outwardness of the way they display their emotions and personality. People’s adoration of heroism as a symbol robs a hero their right of individuality and that will become society’s bane.

I'm a dumb nerd who cares too much about animes
The real weakness of the hero society is that apparently its existence and crime deterrence ability is predicated on the existence of a single dude.

There really shouldn't be a "symbol of peace" honestly. Yeah, it's super cool that All Might is that awesome and that Midoriya will likely be just as awesome but if the difference between relative peace and relative chaos is just NotSuperman's existence than honestly the system is poo poo.

That's why I wonder if in the end we'll see a shift from "The Symbol of Peace" being just a single dude, to it being say, the whole graduating class of UA.

Edit: As it turns out, my prediction was right.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 21, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Uuuh, Mt. Lady isn't a side character, she's the best character.

(But yeah, that attention to detail in a weekly is pretty great)

I'd say she's a backside character.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, what the hell is that on that last page? It looks like a mass of twisted metal and a lot of... Darkness? Gore? Did All For One just murder all those heroes in a really horrific way? Deku certainly looks like he's about to throw up at the sight, and Todoroki of all people looks horrified as well.

Edit: Also who brought in all the Noumus? Did All For One do that? It looks like Black Mist got stabbed early on (though I'm assuming the heroes didn't just murder him), and anyway that teleporation or whatever doesn't look like his, so is All For One making big plays in two places at once or did Shigaraki get granted another power when we weren't looking or something?

Man, this chapter looks insane. Between this and HXH there are some crazy new chapters this week.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 21, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So I guess that puts and end to the theory that the police chief was the spy.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Cheapo translation:

http://imgur.com/a/uxdtb

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, what the hell is that on that last page? It looks like a mass of twisted metal and a lot of... Darkness? Gore? Did All For One just murder all those heroes in a really horrific way? Deku certainly looks like he's about to throw up at the sight, and Todoroki of all people looks horrified as well.

Edit: Also who brought in all the Noumus? Did All For One do that? It looks like Black Mist got stabbed early on (though I'm assuming the heroes didn't just murder him), and anyway that teleporation or whatever doesn't look like his, so is All For One making big plays in two places at once or did Shigaraki get granted another power when we weren't looking or something?

Man, this chapter looks insane. Between this and HXH there are some crazy new chapters this week.

AfO's face. Unless it's a style thing he seems to be doing the same thing as Black Mist. He even has the neck brace if you look carefully. Deku and Todoroki's horror is presumably from the speed at which he took out half a dozen heroes. You'll notice he did it so fast only Todoroki and Deku who were watching it actually even saw it. Kirishima didn't even get the chance to turn around.

AfO taking out the heroes is a mini-flashback. He's the one that teleports the Noumu in and Kacchan out.

I'm going to wait to talk about the biggest revelation, which requires reading the translation.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 21, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LostRook posted:

AfO's face. Unless it's a style thing he seems to be doing the same thing as Black Mist. He even has the neck brace if you look carefully. Deku and Todoroki's horror is presumably from the speed at which he took out half a dozen heroes. You'll notice he did it so fast only Todoroki and Deku who were watching it actually even saw it. Kirishima didn't even get the chance to turn around.

AfO taking out the heroes is a mini-flashback. He's the one that teleports the Noumu in and Kacchan out.

I'm going to wait to talk about the biggest revelation, which requires reading the translation.

Ah, okay. So those are the tubes he's got in his head and stuff. That makes sense. Still makes exactly what happened to the heroes a mystery, and I bet it wasn't pleasant. (Also looks like Ragdoll got caught in it too, since she was in Tiger's arms. Jeez.)

Also I was right about Ragdoll's power being nabbed, and I think he's also using it in his assault on the heroes, though I wasn't expecting targeted Noumu-teleportation (and Bakugou-kidnapping) to be how he used it. That's actually nastier than what I expected in a way.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
If you've read the translation, you might notice the biggest revelation from the chapter is that Shigaraki Tomura or Shimura has been in front of us the entire time.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

I'd say she's a backside character.

More of a countryside character tbh

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If you're annoyed about the spoilers, whomever's reading, the "cheapo" translation is plenty good enough for reading.

You'll have to wait for Fallen Angels or pay for the Viz scans for a better scan however, because this is a pretty rough scan and Mangastream has horrendously bad cleaners.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Ah, the spoilers themselves aren't a terrible thing, unless it's full on 3 pages of it or something. I just initially saw 2 posts (on my phone), read the spoilers on the first before realizing that the second was the Korean scans when if the "new chapter" post was first i wouldn't have tapped on the spoilers.

Now that I know it's new chapter stuff, I'll just not click any spoilers until I read it. No biggie.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Ah, the spoilers themselves aren't a terrible thing, unless it's full on 3 pages of it or something. I just initially saw 2 posts (on my phone), read the spoilers on the first before realizing that the second was the Korean scans when if the "new chapter" post was first i wouldn't have tapped on the spoilers.

Now that I know it's new chapter stuff, I'll just not click any spoilers until I read it. No biggie.
I figured it might be an issue for other people too since this is a series that's really fun as a week-to-week read rather than being one of those series you binge-read off and on, so spoiler-talk starts pretty much the instant scans of anything hit.

As for my own comments on the spoilers :v: : Whatever that teleport method it is, it's grisly- watch Bakugou suddenly start vomiting up that black tar that eventually envelops him and ports him away. I'm shocked Hori had the villians take him back. :rip: Baron Explodokill.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LostRook posted:

If you've read the translation, you might notice the biggest revelation from the chapter is that Shigaraki Tomura or Shimura has been in front of us the entire time.

Oh, that's interesting. For those who don't remember (which included me somewhat, was a bit fuzzy on the details): "Shimura" was the name of the person All Might got One For All from, and was apparently a friend of Gran Torino's. All For One killed him. And, given the shared name, apparently decided to start mentoring his kid, because he's just that much of an rear end in a top hat.

That seems like it's going to be important, to say the least.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
That was the most insane chapter in the entire series to date. All this poo poo went down in just twenty pages:

Ragdoll had her Quirk stolen.

Tiger, Orca, Best Jeanist, Mt. Lady, and Ragdoll were killed or severely wounded. It happened so fast, only Todoroki and Deku even saw it. Iida and Momo might have been nailed too, though its hard to tell --but there's a giant hole in the wall right where they were standing. All For One teleported all the Noumus to VA headquarters. This happened in less than two minutes.

Shigaraki is the son of the previous holder of One for All. Bakugou got kidnapped again.

Skull Face is making his final play. What a loving turnaround. As if stealing Quirks wasn't enough, he even stole All Might's catchphrase, the absolute fiend.

My Hero Academia: Nobody is Sasuke, Everyone is Pain

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 21, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'd be surprised if they're outright dead. Seems a bit big of a tone shift for the series. But hey, who knows until next week.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

chumbler posted:

I'd be surprised if they're outright dead. Seems a bit big of a tone shift for the series. But hey, who knows until next week.

Argh, I just remembered that next week is actually Golden Week. We won't be back for another two weeks.

I'm going to sleep, wake me up when May comes around please

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Given that All for One Has a teleport quirk and looks very much like Black Mist while using it. I am guessing he ether granted Black Mist a variant of his power or Black Mist is his son

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If Tiger and Mountain Lady are dead I will be quite unhappy with this comic. <:mad:>

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My only issue with this is that it doesn't make sense for All for One to bide his time for decades or whatever if he's strong enough to take out literally every non-All-Might hero in an instant (and from what we've seen it looks like he could probably defeat All Might as well, even ignoring All Might's recent weakness). I don't know how you could even do a fight between such a guy and any of the existing characters.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Ytlaya posted:

My only issue with this is that it doesn't make sense for All for One to bide his time for decades or whatever if he's strong enough to take out literally every non-All-Might hero in an instant (and from what we've seen it looks like he could probably defeat All Might as well, even ignoring All Might's recent weakness). I don't know how you could even do a fight between such a guy and any of the existing characters.
I suggested that he could be only able to fight for a matter of seconds or single-digit minutes. Great for stuff like this, useless for anything else.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, the giant hole in the wall didn't necessarily come from All For One; Mount Lady smashed the place open, after all. The heroes are just... Gone. No idea where, though judging from the wreckage in the background, it might be rather far off. So it's still not looking good for them.

Also, All For One is floating in that panel.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Given that All for One Has a teleport quirk and looks very much like Black Mist while using it. I am guessing he ether granted Black Mist a variant of his power or Black Mist is his son

He could have stolen it from one of Black Mist's relatives, too, given how he's already pulling a "recruit the family of people you've wronged" thing with Shigaraki.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Roland Jones posted:

Well, the giant hole in the wall didn't necessarily come from All For One; Mount Lady smashed the place open, after all. The heroes are just... Gone. No idea where, though judging from the wreckage in the background, it might be rather far off. So it's still not looking good for them.

Also, All For One is floating in that panel.

You can see them all in the crater. They're either all dead or unconscious. Also, Mount Lady only smashed the one building, not all the other ones falling down in the background.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 21, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhonne posted:

You can see them all in the crater. They're either all dead or unconscious. Also, Mount Lady only smashed the one building, not all the other ones falling down in the background.

I know she didn't smash those, that's why I mentioned them there. Though yeah, I wasn't sure what those little shapes were but enlarging the image shows that's definitely at least some of the heroes there. Not sure if Mount Lady is among them; if she shrinks after losing consciousness or something, then yes, but otherwise, I guess she got blown away or something? Edit: Though, that might be her in the foreground of that panel, or one of the others. It's hard to tell. So shrinking when defeated seems like the most likely explanation.

Also I just realized that the Noumus were all in the blast radius too. Wow, those things are durable. I mean, that's the point of them, but still.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 21, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like the fanart people post in this thread.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I didn't see that there's more gameplay footage out for the 3DS game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Kwgdlg_gc

It looks like Asui's gimmick is that you can power her up by playing a minigame or something on the bottom screen.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Vengarr posted:

I didn't see that there's more gameplay footage out for the 3DS game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Kwgdlg_gc

It looks like Asui's gimmick is that you can power her up by playing a minigame or something on the bottom screen.

Actually, all the characters seem to have some kind of minigame for charging up their super. It's looking like all of Class A is available. We've seen them fight Momo and earjack girl and with Mineta to come, I think it's a fair bet that everyone will be in (with maybe unlockable All-Might)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
According to the wiki we already know the whole playable roster

quote:

Izuku Midoriya
Katsuki Bakugou
Ochako Uraraka
Tenya Iida
Shouto Todoroki
Tsuyu Asui
Minoru Mineta
Eijirou Kirishima
Momo Yaoyorozu
Denki Kaminari
Yuuga Aoyama
Kyouka Jirou
All Might

With supporting chars

quote:

Fumikage Tokoyami
Mezou Shouji
Mashirao Ojiro
Hanta Sero
Shouta Aizawa
Mount Lady
Mina Ashido
Tooru Hagakure

How the gently caress is Mineta playable but Tokoyami is a supporting character

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
jesus

it's like the reader's omnipresent pov character blinked and missed it

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Oh no, I hope All for One doesn't steal Best Jeanist's power. That'll make the epic final battle really awkward.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Baal posted:

How the gently caress is Mineta playable but Tokoyami is a supporting character

The game is tied to the anime and Tokoyami doesn't get a spotlight until season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Given all the talk about what it means to be Symbol of Peace and how much of a front All Might has to put up to keep people smiling, I think it's more or less certain that his evil counterpart is doing the same thing. There's some trick or weakness that means he's not as overwhelmingly strong as he seems, whether it's a time limit or a weird vulnerability. I mean, there just about has to be to explain why he isn't already ruling the world or at least manning an army of stolen quirks.