Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Internet Kraken posted:

Ah. The bane of any magic build.

Well, at the point where you face them in the game your baby sorcerer is going to run out of MP before they take out anything substantial with greatsword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Internet Kraken posted:

I feel like the only way mimics will ever catch a veteran player off guard nowadays is if their locations were randomized each playthrough.

Well they still hasn't changed how the chain is positioned so it'll never fool me

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The Rokstar posted:

Also gently caress you mimics for not giving me your stupid mimic head thing. I want my huge bonus souls after boss kills.

Is that supposed to be a rare drop? I got it from my first mimic. Maybe I should actually try using it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

qbert posted:

That NPC will not spawn if 1) You already beat the boss of the area or 2) You joined Rosaria's Fingers.

There is a trick to farming the same one over and over again without killing it. Throw an Undead Hunter Charm at it, check for the head, if not, reset game and throw again.

Wait why reset game?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Turtlicious posted:

Wait why reset game?

From my understanding quitting and reloading "resets" the world so that when you throw another charm at it, it's like a new roll chance for it to drop the helm. That might be wrong though, that's just what some post told me to do and it worked.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Two straight hours of getting Dancer down to within a couple of hits only for something to go horribly wrong (sometimes my fault, sometimes a geometry glitch, sometimes SOME BULLSHIT :argh:) and finally I had to throw in the towel to get some sleep.

I just want to move on past her :negative:

voltcatfish posted:

Well they still hasn't changed how the chain is positioned so it'll never fool me

I just always hit a chest before trying to open it.

The ONE time I forgot to do that.... it was a Mimic :xd:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Two straight hours of getting Dancer down to within a couple of hits only for something to go horribly wrong (sometimes my fault, sometimes a geometry glitch, sometimes SOME BULLSHIT :argh:) and finally I had to throw in the towel to get some sleep.

I just want to move on past her :negative:

Summon :devil:

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Oh boy, I grabbed the Astora Greatsword for my Miracles build and this damage is glorious. I was using a Raw Astora Straight Sword and it only did 322 damage, or ~115 Physical + 220 Lightning if I infused that way, that obviously not worth it compared to buffing it. The Astora Greatsword does 171 + 212 Lightning damage infused :getin: I guess ~150 physical on top is nice too.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Make it so the treasure turns to garbage when you sack it like days of old. :getin:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Does the dark infusion work like the chaos infusion but with dark damage in place of flame? I'm a pyromancer and I'm running chaos weapons but I can't find any more chaos gems.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So the Ghru have guys who can chain-grab you infinitely, as well as spear guys whose spears' hitboxes are just completely hosed up. I hate this place.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

On a first playthrough it's beat them myself or nothing. It's stubborn I know, but I'd feel like I haven't actually beaten them otherwise.

Anyway, I know what needs to be done, I can get close enough to smell victory, it's just a matter or time and a little bit of luck and I'll be moving past her. Every single Souls game, there is always one boss that is like a brick wall for me and I'll spend 2-3 days just getting hammered till finally putting them down and after that everything else is smooth sailing (I hope!).

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
At least the ones on all-fours are useless and can't hurt you.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

SubponticatePoster posted:

Anyone got tips for Aldritch? I've thrown my summon sign down a few times now to learn his patterns, but when it's me in the hotseat all the fucker does is spam the arrow rain and scythe blasts. I've learned to run from the arrows and dodge the wave but he just switches back from one to the other so I can't close to get him down. When I'm phantoming I do fine unless the host is an idiot (note: they are frequently idiots but at least twice now I've taken him out myself while the host runs and hides). I'm using the Crest shield to reduce dark damage and the Ithryll SS for fast attacks along with the ring that increases your damage if you can get multiple hits in.

Be aggressive as balls. Keep yourself on his tail and wail like a madman and he can't do much about you other than the explosion that results from him diving in the floor. You want to minimize the amount of time spent at distance.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
The mimic heads should give you a bitey critical attack. Just loving turn me into a mimic so I can do ryu's tornado kick and chupashyuken! on players.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Vermain posted:

I'd say 20 Vigor is about the minimum you can get away with comfortably, though this varies depending on your absorption.

my first run/pure sorcery char finished the game with 14 vigor
every single enemy in the endgame oneshotted me

i mean every single one

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I've been jolly cooperating at dancer for sunlight medals in between dungeon crawling. One time on phase 2 when she did her constant spin move, I was way too close and ended up perfectly rolling in sync with every spin and not taking any damage. Dancing indeed :tipshat:

edit: also I have like 15-16 vigor and wear the life ring and I'm near the end game I think. I also always had dramatically less health than anyone ever said was required for bloodborne. Doesn't matter so long as you can survive exactly 1 hit of most attacks and do a ton of damage yourself.

DS3 enemies definitely do a poo poo ton of damage though. Random hollows near the dragon bridge were knifing me for most of my health.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

RBA Starblade posted:

So the Ghru have guys who can chain-grab you infinitely, as well as spear guys whose spears' hitboxes are just completely hosed up. I hate this place.

The jumping guys might just be the biggest assholes in the game. The giant crabs are stronger, but I'm pretty sure nobody has ever managed to kill one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

turtlecrunch posted:

At least the ones on all-fours are useless and can't hurt you.

Yeah, it's like the one easy thing about the lake. At least I found the tomes I need!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

I feel like the only way mimics will ever catch a veteran player off guard nowadays is if their locations were randomized each playthrough.

mimic chains (on the right of them) point towards you. Safe chests point away.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

I made an extremely rough set of screenshots for those of you who are like me and want to where you are geographically in the game. It's not perfect, but it's a good start. Of course, insane amounts of spoilers if you haven't finished the game.

http://imgur.com/a/8Tapw

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Just got to the Irithyll Dungeon. I am legitimately terrified.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I want a fist weapon set that give you the Champ's punches and kicks. That'd be rad as gently caress

StrangeAeon posted:

Just got to the Irithyll Dungeon. I am legitimately terrified.

When I walked in there the first sign I saw just said "time for fear"

.....Good luck!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I kind of miss the powerful rings from Dark Souls actually, having four slots and weaker rings is probably like objectively better from a balance point of view but it's not like there were only two good rings in Dark Souls or something (Havel/DWGR is infamous but off the top of my head FAP and Wolf were just as generically good, Hornet was great for crit weapons and PVP, the Covetous rings had a larger downside to choosing to wear them while you fought a boss or farmed, etc)

I wouldn't really say they're weaker. Like, of the rings that appeared in previous games, the only ones to be nerfed significantly are Havel's, FAP, and Flynn's (maybe Chloranthy). Everything else is as good or better and there are tons of potentially good new rings (e.g. the Lloyd Rings, the Aldritch Rings,

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Be aggressive as balls. Keep yourself on his tail and wail like a madman and he can't do much about you other than the explosion that results from him diving in the floor. You want to minimize the amount of time spent at distance.
Usually what happens is I'll wail on him, then he'll teleport and I get caught up in poo poo trying to get back to him, but now I have a strat to avoid that.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Coolwhoami posted:

If you're trying to invade in the area after the first boss, keep in mind either people are going to be decent and through that area pretty quick or bad and die, losing their ember. It may even be that the game doesn't allow invasions there, but if you've been able to use cracked orbs that would be odd.

It was the very beginning of the first area that Firelink sends you. Eventually I got somebody while I stepped out of the room. :downs:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So if you don't kill That Thing That Represents Gutts' Dark Side in Berserk on the bridge, it moves to the river you have to dredge through to reach Aldrich or Hell the dungeon.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Xenolalia posted:

I made an extremely rough set of screenshots for those of you who are like me and want to where you are geographically in the game. It's not perfect, but it's a good start. Of course, insane amounts of spoilers if you haven't finished the game.

http://imgur.com/a/8Tapw

I never looked off Vordt's area, I didn't relize you can see 95% of the game from there. That's...cool.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The jumping guys might just be the biggest assholes in the game. The giant crabs are stronger, but I'm pretty sure nobody has ever managed to kill one.

Giant crab solution:

1) whack them in the face with a giant weapon
2) see step 1

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Desperate Character posted:

A really easy way to farm quick souls/large titanite shards later in the game with chaos orb is the Anor Londo bonfire. Equip all the +fire damage rings and the silver covetous ring (as well as the shield of want + mimic head if you have those) and chaos orb the spear silver knight while you back up to the rotating stairs where he will de-aggro. Keep baiting his spear-dive into the stairway so you get the full damage on him. Finish him off with the Crystal Sage Rapier for a better chance of shards and then do the same for the sword silver knight.

Easier to parry them tbh

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

NG+ completed :toot:

On to NG++... two more endings to watch.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish you could pick up the Giant's Coal way earlier. I want to start out with a Chaos Longsword or something for a quality Dark Magic Pyromancer.

Also, is it too early to start posting builds, and talking about builds? I want to get the most out of Dark Blade, but if I invest the 30 levels into Faith and Int, I then have to get STR and DEX up to like, 20 each for the Dark Sword which has S rank scaling with chaos, and you need 50 vitality for poise in PVP, which means you're not going to have a good buil until level 80 or 90. It's sad really, because dark spells can do upwards for 1500 damage to players, but you're so hosed by cast times.

I wish spells cast faster, especially Dhorys' Gnaw

By the way, can everyone see the spreadsheet I posted earlier that explains dark scaling?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Digital_Jesus posted:

NG+ completed :toot:

It's probably not much harder in this one, was it?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So, a question, is there anyone who's found the paired spears and/or straightswords who doesn't feel like they'd ever use them? I want to do a gimmick run but they come waaaaaaay too late for my tastes.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Does the game ever explain those weird plant dragon things floating around?

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

I spent a bit recently reading a lot of the item descriptions. A lot of the stuff that drops off of mobs has really interesting stuff in it, hinting at their origins and it's all really neat stuff.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://goo.gl/GxIr1b Posting it again just in case.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I killed half of the crabs in Smouldering Lake while the crossbow was still activated. They got a lot of health but they aren't that hard and most of their attacks are pretty well telegraphed. The guys that got to me were the Deer Warlocks in Farron's Keep as sometimes it got real hard to keep track of both him and the red skulls homing in on you.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Do things like the firebombs have their damage scale with stats like everything else? Feel like doing a Mr. Satan gimmick run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So, a question, is there anyone who's found the paired spears and/or straightswords who doesn't feel like they'd ever use them? I want to do a gimmick run but they come waaaaaaay too late for my tastes.

Yeah sure, add me on steam https://steamcommunity.com/id/Turtlishus/

I also need someone to possibly help me transfer over some gear. I want to go through the whole game in armor of favor. Just because I love the armor, and I need to start over for a 3rd time anyways :suicide: