Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Xenolalia posted:

I made an extremely rough set of screenshots for those of you who are like me and want to where you are geographically in the game. It's not perfect, but it's a good start. Of course, insane amounts of spoilers if you haven't finished the game.

http://imgur.com/a/8Tapw

this is rad, thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

It's probably not much harder in this one, was it?

No. The added difficulty of NG+ is mostly negated by all of your weapons being maxed out. We'll see if NG++ actually raises the difficulty or not. I'm not holding out for anything interesting since they've apparently decided to abandon subsequent playthroughs getting new placements or summons or whatever.

Bit lame really.

:siren:Important Update:siren:

If you equip dancers armor after the shrine maiden starts selling it you, too, can have a fantastic yoga-pants rear end.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Genocyber posted:

I wouldn't really say they're weaker. Like, of the rings that appeared in previous games, the only ones to be nerfed significantly are Havel's, FAP, and Flynn's (maybe Chloranthy). Everything else is as good or better and there are tons of potentially good new rings (e.g. the Lloyd Rings, the Aldritch Rings,

Wolf Ring got pretty severely nerfed from DaS1, as did the RTSR. Dark Wood Grain Ring is removed entirely. I mean, all those rings were way too good, but it seems pretty obvious to me that rings got nerfed pretty heavily in DaS2 (and then stayed roughly level between 2 and 3, Flynn's aside).

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Digital_Jesus posted:

No. The added difficulty of NG+ is mostly negated by all of your weapons being maxed out. We'll see if NG++ actually raises the difficulty or not. I'm not holding out for anything interesting since they've apparently decided to abandon subsequent playthroughs getting new placements or summons or whatever.

Bit lame really.

The very first time I started NG+ in Souls 2 and dudes in the formally quiet Things Betwixt starting immediately coming after you as soon as you gain control scared the poo poo out of me

New placements were good. Rip.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Figured this would make you all as happy as it did me

I leveled my first character right out of any meaningful multiplayer interaction so I give you the new and powerful Mr. Skeltal

My first ever deprived character in the series

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

The very first time I started NG+ in Souls 2 and dudes in the formally quiet Things Betwixt starting immediately coming after you as soon as you gain control scared the poo poo out of me

New placements were good. Rip.

I'm not expecting NG++ or NG+++ to be any harder really. Since everything apparently scales with level the difficulty of the game should remain entirely the same every time you play it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just realized the Channeler's Trident isn't in the game, wtf???

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah sure, add me on steam https://steamcommunity.com/id/Turtlishus/

I also need someone to possibly help me transfer over some gear. I want to go through the whole game in armor of favor. Just because I love the armor, and I need to start over for a 3rd time anyways :suicide:

Oh goddammit, I thought I mentioned I was on PS4. :saddowns: Sorry.

So yeah, Gotthard Twinswords and/or Drang Twinspears, PS4, if anyone's got one and/or both, I'd love you forever for facilitating a gimmick build.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

It's in the game, I believe you get it through an NPC questline.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Leo ring also got heavily nerfed going from +40% counter damage in 1 to +12.5% in 2.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Digital_Jesus posted:

I'm not expecting NG++ or NG+++ to be any harder really. Since everything apparently scales with level the difficulty of the game should remain entirely the same every time you play it.

Wait, what? I don't think any of the souls games ever had enemies scale with your level, and I've never heard that DS3 does either.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah for real. Where is my dance stick?

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I like tossing a Blessed Gem on my shield, though. You get the minor health regen at the cost of a small penalty to block absorption which is probably a worthy trade-off if you do block and is obviously just free if you avoid 90% of attacks by rolling/moving and either live with a shield on your back or just use it to parry/weaponskill while one-handing your main weapon.

Does that stack with the HP regen ring?

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Is the best deal on this game just using the gcu from best buy or prime from amazon? Did anyome have some sort of special crap for it?

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Digital_Jesus posted:

Does the handmaiden keep her inventory in NG+?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

qbert posted:

Wait, what? I don't think any of the souls games ever had enemies scale with your level, and I've never heard that DS3 does either.

Donno, maybe its just me, but NG+ didn't feel a drat big different from NG like the monsters just kept pace with my SL. Though maybe I'll find NG++ everything turns into unkillable HP sponges.

Brumaldo posted:

No

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My five year old son is playing dark souls 3 and it's adorable. He's spent the last half hour walking off the cliff next to the first bonfire, swinging at air, and then forgetting the swing button when a monster attacks him. Lots of "YOU DIED!" because he reads the screen out loud when it comes up.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Mr. WTF posted:

I want to say yes based off the fact that it seems like grasscrest stacks with the chloranthy ring this time around (Unless I'm an idiot and chloranthy ring +1 just has higher stamina regen and overrides the grasscrest), but I haven't tested it.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Gahhhhhhhhhh Catacombs of Carthus... it's not so much difficult as it is very, very unforgiving of mistakes.

How the heck do I get down to Smouldering Lake?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Get to Wolnir (the boss) then break the bridge from his side and climb down.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Brumaldo posted:

No, you have to build it up again.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Bummer. Thanks for the info.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

MooCowlian posted:

Does the game ever explain those weird plant dragon things floating around?

I don't know the meaning of it, but they're the next "phase" of the zombies that are turning into trees. Various trees in the High Wall area actually disappear from the zone because they've lifted off into the sky as one of those dragons.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. WTF posted:

It does, and in fact I'm pretty sure dual-wielding Blessed items does as well

Doubt it's worth doing though b/c Blessed isn't great for damage, stacking the ring and a shield is probably a noticeable benefit if you wanna use Avarice or a Chaos Blade or something tho

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Asking this again because surely other people are still experiencing it too;

Is there a fix for the autosave stutter?
Every time the game autosaves (aka. all the drat time) my game will hiccup and drop a bunch of frames, and as far as I'm aware this has been an issue since before release?

Using a GTX 970, playing online and the game is installed to a regular ol' harddrive.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Your Computer posted:

Asking this again because surely other people are still experiencing it too;

Is there a fix for the autosave stutter?
Every time the game autosaves (aka. all the drat time) my game will hiccup and drop a bunch of frames, and as far as I'm aware this has been an issue since before release?

Using a GTX 970, playing online and the game is installed to a regular ol' harddrive.

I installed it on my SSD and get the same thing.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
...So that's why everything looked so familiar.

Okay

:stare:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So the dried fingers broke, but in a real badass way.

Instead of letting me summon more guys, it let me summon one, ever. Anyone else was either perma-greyed out or failed to summon. Instead, two darkmoons at two separate times appeared, along with a mad phantom and six or seven red invaders. We slaughtered them all, then took down Aldrich in one shot (the darkmoon stayed behind to finish off the last invader and hold off the skeleton priests). God drat that was intense, but god drat, how broken is multiplayer that even that doesn't work.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

okay so here's some stupid lore stuff.

ds3 is the opposite of dark souls 1. instead of running through an old age of fire coming to an end, we're running through an age of dark coming to an end. instead of collecting humanity to maintain our form, we collect embers. humanity is the PC maintaining darkness in an age of fire; embers are them maintaining light. the player character is constantly searching for balance. so this time around instead of being a chosen undead, we're summoned as an unkindled.

the real tell of this is the mighty darksign rising as the dark sun over lothric. the things floating through the sky aren't trees: they're abyssal creatures, similar to those you fight in the abyssal covenant in ds2. men of pus are all over the place, and even the dragons in the area are infected by the influence of the abyss. it'd also explain why there's an entire religion set up to worship 'The Deep', and why the knights of Farron are a weird sort of semi-religion; they're fighting back to maintain order while the abyss keeps creeping in.

the big question for me is: where is the firelink shrine? my guess is that it exists outside the rest of the game's time period, although why i don't know. when you give the firekeeper her eyes back, she talks about seeing an endless age of dark, spotted with tiny enticing flames. the assumption is that she's seeing into a future age of dark, but she may as well be describing lothric as it is.

anyways i don't know. i love this game and i'm very much enjoying the usual nonsense lore mystery times.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Genocyber posted:

Wow, what a stupid complaint. "Oh, the bosses are more complex, better designed, and not pushovers. This loving sucks."

i know this was a minute ago, but every boss having the same general pattern (phase 1 i do this / phase 2 i do this) is not better design. it is dumb design if you can count on it happening every encounter because it stops being an interesting surprise and just becomes an expected mechanic. it would be okay if some bosses just had a series of variable attacks that they used well and you just fought them and that was the challenge. ancient wyvern and wolnir were probably the most fun boss fights, because they was something other than "generally square-ish arena where boss waits for you and boss has a phase 1 and phase 2 mode that is triggered by health loss".

it is also bad design when bosses can do things that they should not, like clip through solid terrain, or have hit boxes that don't match their animations, or other kinds of fuckery. this is independent of (almost) every boss following the same pattern of behavior, but i think you missed that before.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

homeless poster posted:

it is also bad design when bosses can do things that they should not, like clip through solid terrain, or have hit boxes that don't match their animations, or other kinds of fuckery. this is independent of (almost) every boss following the same pattern of behavior, but i think you missed that before.

enemies clipping through solid terrain, crazy hitboxes and other hilarious bugs are all part of the dark souls early patch version experience

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
so would you rather have the boss hunt you down throughout the level instead of waiting in the boss arena

cuz that would be pretty cool actually

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

so would you rather have the boss hunt you down throughout the level instead of waiting in the boss arena

cuz that would be pretty cool actually

they toyed with that a bit in DS2; pursuer chasing you around, then freya showing up unexpectedly in brightstone cove

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I kept waiting for Pursuer to pop up in this game and it never happended :( Maybe in the DLC

On Bosses: I think the two phase gimmick should be toned down a bit. Its good when its used well but not every boss needs a phase two. I really dislike the changing phases also changing their attacks in ways you can't possibly predict until you get hit by them. Like, Aldrich's arrow rain in phase 2 suddenly lasts way longer and you have no way of knowing that until it loops back around and murders you. I'd rather it just be that long from the start, cause then it doesn't feel like such a cheap shot.

I think the boss that uses the two phase best in this game is Two Princes. Rather than completely changing the fight it adds an extra element to it, and the way the bosses moves change are all plainly visible.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 21, 2016

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Welp, oneshotting every enemy except bosses is getting old, should probably just shoot for finishing the game with my sorcerer and then never use that character again. Maybe a fast dual wielder next?

Also after spending a shitload of titanite scales I can confirm that if you are above like 50-ish Int the Court Sorcerers Staff is WAY better than Sages Crystal Staff. Given how late you get the latter I just assumed it would scale better but welp, there goes a good bit of my stash of upgrade materials!

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I kept waiting for Pursuer to pop up in this game and it never happended :(

Maybe in the DLC

I really hope hover-knight makes a return, they're my favourite.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I'm scared to play right now cause I've heard some doomsaying about hackers. Is there any way I can protect myself on PC outside of playing offline?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Having just now seen it for myself boy is Aldrich's arrow rain a thing.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If the Pursuer returns I hope that it has learned how to hit people strafing to the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

If the Pursuer returns I hope that it has learned how to hit people strafing to the right.

I find it amazing that over the thousands if not tens of thousands of years the dark souls games span, nobody has learned how to hit a target walking in a counter-clockwise circle around their foot.