Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

You should try a recently sharpened knife. You maybe just forgot what using one of those is like? No knife holds a good edge for 5 years.

I guess it is too late to polish the edge on that knife with some simple fix?

KingColliwog posted:

Most home cooks use knives that are 10 years old and never have been sharpened. May be the accidental "serrations" on this one make it cut ok. I know my girlfriends prefers our horrible "serrated" knives which are the thinnest pieces of metal with some sort of cheap saw like serration on them over my good well sharpened knives...

This is probably it then, because it looks like poo poo, is thin but works great. The blunted edge is apparently for making it easier to cut meat, but I have no experience in using the knife for that.

Thanks for the help though, I might just buy a couple of those Satake No Vac then, as my friend is also an amateur and I personally think that holed design has worked perfectly fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I have a Wusthof knife that slipped off the skins of tomatoes and cucumbers from day one. I can see the appeal of a lovely but jagged knife that actually bites into the food you're trying to cut. It's better than a dangerous piece of poo poo hunk of metal that costs $120

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Zudgemud posted:

I guess it is too late to polish the edge on that knife with some simple fix?

Well, as long as there's still metal there, it can still be sharpened

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The Ferret King posted:

I have a Wusthof knife that slipped off the skins of tomatoes and cucumbers from day one. I can see the appeal of a lovely but jagged knife that actually bites into the food you're trying to cut. It's better than a dangerous piece of poo poo hunk of metal that costs $120

I thought it was common knowledge that serrated edges are best for anything that can be described as a hard outer surface with a softer inside? I.e. bread and tomatoes. Trying to cut bread with a chefs knife is just going to leave you with squashed bread and unless the knife is really sharp smushed tomatoes and even then you have to be sure to draw the knife along the skin to make a clean cut and not just chop down like you would an onion.

It's why bread knives are serrated and they advertise lovely serrated knives on TV by cutting tomatoes.

Right tool for the job and all.

e: TL;DR: Use your bread knife for cutting tomatoes!

Murgos fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 25, 2016

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
When is is going to become common knowledge that a properly sharpened chef's knife is the best tool for just about any job, especially bread and tomatoes?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

When is is going to become common knowledge that a properly sharpened chef's knife is the best tool for just about any job, especially bread and tomatoes?

When the average home kitchen contains a properly sharpened chef's knife, i.e. never.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay knife-o-philes I wanted to ask here because the only other knife thread I know is in TFR.. I have a classic-style Buck 110 knife (eagle scout reward from the place I did my project for,) that I've been sharpening using my honing steel for a while because I have no whetstones and stuff, and it seems to do a pretty good job (definitely sharp enough to shave with,) however I wanted something more transportable so I picked up a Smith's diamond stone (one of these http://www.smithsproducts.com/product/4-inch-diamond-combination/ ), and I noticed that after sharpening, I can feel burrs on the edge when I wipe the oil off the blade with a handkerchief, snagging on the cloth. Is there any good reason to use that weird oval-pattern design? I'm thinking that it's something they are using simply to save manufacturing costs, and am leaning toward returning it to the store because I just can't get it to not leave burrs, although it does give a pretty good edge.

As a sidenote: any reason to not continue to use a honing steel on a belt knife with an almost 4" blade? I'm not a "rub it in circles" pocket knife sharpener so the steel seems to do a pretty nice job when I give it a few licks on both sides, but I wasn't sure if the steel of a chef knife versus a pocket knife would have some difference I'm not aware of.

Chemmy posted:

You can see how bad the edge is on that knife from a low res picture.
For reals. I looked at that picture and deep inside I went :saddowns:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 25, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The fine is only 750 grit on that and diamond strips fast. You can also get a felt block to cut the burr away.

There is nothing wrong with that pattern, other than a smoothing plate, all are likely like that.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 25, 2016

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

coyo7e posted:

Okay knife-o-philes I wanted to ask here because the only other knife thread I know is in TFR.. I have a classic-style Buck 110 knife (eagle scout reward from the place I did my project for,) that I've been sharpening using my honing steel for a while because I have no whetstones and stuff, and it seems to do a pretty good job (definitely sharp enough to shave with,) however I wanted something more transportable so I picked up a Smith's diamond stone (one of these http://www.smithsproducts.com/product/4-inch-diamond-combination/ ), and I noticed that after sharpening, I can feel burrs on the edge when I wipe the oil off the blade with a handkerchief, snagging on the cloth. Is there any good reason to use that weird oval-pattern design? I'm thinking that it's something they are using simply to save manufacturing costs, and am leaning toward returning it to the store because I just can't get it to not leave burrs, although it does give a pretty good edge.

As a sidenote: any reason to not continue to use a honing steel on a belt knife with an almost 4" blade? I'm not a "rub it in circles" pocket knife sharpener so the steel seems to do a pretty nice job when I give it a few licks on both sides, but I wasn't sure if the steel of a chef knife versus a pocket knife would have some difference I'm not aware of.

For reals. I looked at that picture and deep inside I went :saddowns:

The hole pattern is supposed to hold swarf, or at least that's what the marketing copy says. DMT claims the same thing. The only DMT I have that's continuous surface is the 8" EEF, and it's freaking heavy compared to the 10" DuoSharps. Sharpening wise, I prefer the continuous surface, and if I replace my DuoSharps with other DMT plates I would get the continuous ones, but the interrupted surfaces are much, much lighter. On a portable sharpener the continuous surface plate would probably end up being way too heavy to be practical.

As far as your burrs, try stropping it a bit. An old leather belt or newspaper will do if you don't want to buy anything.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

You are wrong. A chefs knife is not an all in one does everything best tool.

There is a reason why if you buy a "Tomato knife" from a high end knife maker (Shun, Wustof, JA Henkels etc...) it's serrated and similarly for bread knives.

It just works better.

e: VVV So what? Now you do that every time you need to slice a tomato and let me know how loving bored you are of sharpening your knife for 30 minutes to slice a tomato.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 28, 2016

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Murgos posted:

There is a reason why if you buy a "Tomato knife" from a high end knife maker (Shun, Wustof, JA Henkels etc...) it's serrated and similarly for bread knives.

It just works better.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HIVet_2wW4

Also CdC, shuttup, you'll pry my Tojiro ITK Bread Knife from my cold dead hands.

Murgos posted:

e: VVV So what? Now you do that every time you need to slice a tomato and let me know how loving bored you are of sharpening your knife for 30 minutes to slice a tomato.

A Moritaka will do that for months after a sharpening with just proper maintenance (ceramic (or borosilicate) "honing" every week for my home use, the restaurant's chefs hone daily).

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 28, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Murgos posted:

It just works better.

Lol my knives can slice ripe tomatoes no problem, same with fresh baked bread, perfect, not squashed slices every time. I sharpen them every 2-3 months or so and other than that I just strop them after use sometimes.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

deimos posted:

Also CdC, shuttup, you'll pry my Tojiro ITK Bread Knife from my cold dead hands.

Gladly, I've been meaning to get one anyways.

e: also lol at Shun, Wusthof, Henckel, etc. being high end knife makers.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Actually, I am pretty sure what makes the ITK so great at general utility is the fact that it's more blade than serration.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Murgos posted:

Of course not, that's a Chinese cleaver.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

My Victorinox Fibrox chef's knife can slice tomatoes without smushing them and I sharpen it 2-3x per year and steel it after use. It cost me $35 I think?

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember

They're not considered high end? I would have thought the same, I mean I wouldn't have thought they were the best (is Masahiro in this class?) but to use car terms I figured Zwilling, MAC, Wusthof etc would be like a BMW/Audi/Mercedes compared to Cuisinart/Farberware/Jamie Oliver would be a Honda or what not.

I'm looking to upgrade my crappy no brand name and was originally thinking Wusthof, Global or MAC, what other suggestions would you have? I'd prefer under $200CAD per knife.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

MACs are perfectly decent knives, if somewhat overpriced. Good out of the box edge, good fit and finish, solid, if unremarkable, performance. They're sort of like Honda motorcycles: reliable, polished, not a ton of personality (some might say boring).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
My girlfriend and I have been cooking a ton together over the past year and I'd like to get her a nice chef's knife as a gift. I'm looking at the Tojiro DP line and noticing that there are "Damascus" variants for $30-$50 over the price of the normal stainless. Aside from the scorn of internet people who know better, are there any technical or material downsides to the Damascus patterning over the regular 3-layer?

She'd definitely appreciate the stripy aesthetic over the regular stainless, so if the knives perform the same, I wouldn't mind paying an extra $50 for the looks- but I'd reconsider that if it made the knife worse or less durable.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

My girlfriend and I have been cooking a ton together over the past year and I'd like to get her a nice chef's knife as a gift. I'm looking at the Tojiro DP line and noticing that there are "Damascus" variants for $30-$50 over the price of the normal stainless. Aside from the scorn of internet people who know better, are there any technical or material downsides to the Damascus patterning over the regular 3-layer?

She'd definitely appreciate the stripy aesthetic over the regular stainless, so if the knives perform the same, I wouldn't mind paying an extra $50 for the looks- but I'd reconsider that if it made the knife worse or less durable.

Damascus finishes do not affect the performance of the knife. Do you have a price range you were considering? I might be able to find you something better than a Tojiro for about the same price.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Damascus finishes do not affect the performance of the knife. Do you have a price range you were considering? I might be able to find you something better than a Tojiro for about the same price.

Why, that doesn't sound sketchy in the slightest!

My price range is the $100-$200 that I've been seeing the Tojiros go for.

She and I try to prepare legitimately challenging foods together at least three times a week these days but the best knives in the apartment by far are my demo set from an ill-advised stint as a CUTCO salesman back in the summer of 2007 between high school and college.

Those knives have been actually quite decent to me and held up very well over the years but literally everything else in that knife drawer is nameless crap in varying stages of decrepitude. My aim is to get her a good set of basics so that we can prep together more efficiently and easily and also so that I no longer live in a home where CUTCOs are 'the nice fancy knives.'

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I just got that knife in the 240mm length. The damascus finish isn't as overt as the one Shun puts on their knives, but it's still visible from an angle. It's purely for looks. Both the DP and the Damascus DP are VG-10 core with stainless outer layers. Either way the 240mm knife has significant heft, and cuts way sharper than the (Costco) Henckles 2-man 8" chef's knife it's replacing.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 31, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Why, that doesn't sound sketchy in the slightest!

My price range is the $100-$200 that I've been seeing the Tojiros go for.

She and I try to prepare legitimately challenging foods together at least three times a week these days but the best knives in the apartment by far are my demo set from an ill-advised stint as a CUTCO salesman back in the summer of 2007 between high school and college.

Those knives have been actually quite decent to me and held up very well over the years but literally everything else in that knife drawer is nameless crap in varying stages of decrepitude. My aim is to get her a good set of basics so that we can prep together more efficiently and easily and also so that I no longer live in a home where CUTCOs are 'the nice fancy knives.'

I'd look at this knife, it's thinner and sharper than a Tojiro, has a nice hammered nashiji finish and a western style handle. It's a really nice knife for the price. You should also grab a knife guard with it, I have these and they work well, especially for how cheap they are.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'd look at this knife, it's thinner and sharper than a Tojiro, has a nice hammered nashiji finish and a western style handle. It's a really nice knife for the price. You should also grab a knife guard with it, I have these and they work well, especially for how cheap they are.

Oooooh, I like this a lot. How does something like this compare to a more traditional Western-style chef's knife tho?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Doesn't matter. It adheres to the bushido code.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Oooooh, I like this a lot. How does something like this compare to a more traditional Western-style chef's knife tho?

They are very similar, the main difference is that a Gyuto like this or the Tojiro has a flatter profile, meaning the more of the knife edge makes contact with the cutting board but you can't rock the knife as high, however you can rock it plenty high enough so it's pretty much a non-issue. Of course it's made of much harder steel than a western knife so you don't want to treat it really roughly, don't try to slam it through bones and such and cut on appropriate surfaces, plastic or wooden cutting boards, not metal or glass. Don't wash it in the dishwasher, that will erode the edge, rinse and clean it with a little soap after use. Don't use a steel on it either, western steels are softer than the knife steel used in these knives so rubbing it against one of those will just mess up the edge, either sharpen it via waterstones which will take some reading and practice to use or you can get a ceramic hone which will work but not as well as full sharpening will. You should not need to sharpen very often, I sharpen my knives every 2-3 months or so and I cook 4-5 nights a week. BTW, all of the above pretty much applies to the Tojiro knives too.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I bought my mom this knife for her birthday. It's a pretty nice knife for the money, both in performance and looks.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

CrazyLittle posted:

I just got that knife in the 240mm length. The damascus finish isn't as overt as the one Shun puts on their knives, but it's still visible from an angle. It's purely for looks. Both the DP and the Damascus DP are VG-10 core with stainless outer layers. Either way the 240mm knife has significant heft, and cuts way sharper than the (Costco) Henckles 2-man 8" chef's knife it's replacing.

Here's the two knives side by side:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just ran into this on Amazon. Anyone have one/can comment? I trust the brand.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015ZQSOQ

I might be too late, but it says it's 1 pound. I got an Update chinese 8" knife that's 13.5 ounces and I think it's too thick (I'm going to put an angle grinder to it later to thin it)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I just ordered my first Japanese knife, which is also my first carbon steel knife. It's a Hiromoto petty knife, aogami super steel with stainless cladding. I hope I like it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Okay, I feel pretty silly asking this, but:

I bought a Tojiro DP a year ago and it's been great. I feel like it's very sharp, slices ripe tomatoes and such easily. But no matter how much I sharpen it I can't chop onions easily like you see in cooking shows or what have you. When I cut the grooves into the onion I always have to grasp the knife firmly in my hand and push it, and it doesn't slide easily through the onion. Nothing like the easy rapid slicing I see elsewhere.

Is my knife actually blunt and I've just been deluded all this time?

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

AnonSpore posted:

Okay, I feel pretty silly asking this, but:

I bought a Tojiro DP a year ago and it's been great. I feel like it's very sharp, slices ripe tomatoes and such easily. But no matter how much I sharpen it I can't chop onions easily like you see in cooking shows or what have you. When I cut the grooves into the onion I always have to grasp the knife firmly in my hand and push it, and it doesn't slide easily through the onion. Nothing like the easy rapid slicing I see elsewhere.

Is my knife actually blunt and I've just been deluded all this time?

I posted about my experience with that earlier:

Scott808 posted:

I find the King 6000 to be okay, but not great, depending on what you're sharpening. Results are fine, but the feeling of blade on stone I find bleh.

I get why the Tojiro DP is one of the default recommendations for entry level Japanese knives, but I found its performance quite underwhelming out of the box - mine dragged and wedged much more than I found acceptable and, crazy as it seems, my food service specials outperformed it stock versus stock. I've taken mine to the stones and reworked it for a couple hours (not including refinishing, which takes a significant amount of time on top of that). It performs much, much better now.

OOTB the sharpness was good, but the edge was flawed (low hanging heel, overgrind in edge) but pretty easily fixable if you can sharpen. The choil and bolster needed easing, which is also easy to do. The often criticized blockiness of the handle doesn't bother me at all, but I do wish the fit and finish where the bolster and handle meet were better. All of them seem to have gaps, some worse than others, where they meet which is filled with something, usually not so neatly. I haven't done so on mine, but you should be able to fix this (if you care to) with some minor effort. The affordable price point makes it a good knife to learn some basic maintenance/fixes on.

But fixing the performance issues I had with mine is way beyond what the majority of people are going to be willing to do. I haven't tried out any samples other than my own, so it's very possible that mine was just kind of a dud.

I picked up the more common 240mm since it was pretty cheap. Same deal. I think OOTB the 240mm is a slightly better cutter than the 270mm was, but my worked on 270mm outperforms it. I switched back and forth multiple times for the same tasks to try and make sure I wasn't just bullshitting myself into thinking I put in the time so surely it must be better.

Just because the edge itself is sharp doesn't mean it'll perform well. The primary grind and geometry of the blade matters.

On top of that, as your sharpen and move up the blade it effectively becomes fatter since it's V shape (roughly). As you sharpen you're moving the edge up that V shape slowly towards the spine, and the blade is getting thicker, and cutting performance decreases. You maintain the performance by thinning as you sharpen. Lower the angle so that you're grinding not the edge, but behind it.

It sounds like you're wedging when you dice an onion; I had that too. If I look at my food service specials, the spine starts out thicker than the Tojiro, but it has more distal taper than the Tojiro and it gets thinner at the tip. Using my fingers and pinching, the grind on the food service specials feels thinner all the way down too. IMO dicing onions with these was easier than the Tojiro OOTB.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Scott808 posted:

I posted about my experience with that earlier:

I picked up the more common 240mm since it was pretty cheap. Same deal. I think OOTB the 240mm is a slightly better cutter than the 270mm was, but my worked on 270mm outperforms it. I switched back and forth multiple times for the same tasks to try and make sure I wasn't just bullshitting myself into thinking I put in the time so surely it must be better.

Just because the edge itself is sharp doesn't mean it'll perform well. The primary grind and geometry of the blade matters.

On top of that, as your sharpen and move up the blade it effectively becomes fatter since it's V shape (roughly). As you sharpen you're moving the edge up that V shape slowly towards the spine, and the blade is getting thicker, and cutting performance decreases. You maintain the performance by thinning as you sharpen. Lower the angle so that you're grinding not the edge, but behind it.

It sounds like you're wedging when you dice an onion; I had that too. If I look at my food service specials, the spine starts out thicker than the Tojiro, but it has more distal taper than the Tojiro and it gets thinner at the tip. Using my fingers and pinching, the grind on the food service specials feels thinner all the way down too. IMO dicing onions with these was easier than the Tojiro OOTB.

Pretty much this, the Tojiros need thinning to really shine.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008
What're the common suggestions for a 120-130mm petty that's less than $100?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Question about sharpening tools:

I have a Boker 440A stainless steel kitchen knife (it says 7" but it's 20cm). My dad taught me to sharpen with a stone ages and ages ago, and I think that I've been doing a good job: I can keep a good consistent angle and get a good (if not arm hair shaving) edge going, but I'm starting to realize that I have been using, if not the wrong tools, at least inadequate ones. I've always used the hardware store combination stones, no idea what the hell the grit is on those but considering the last one I got was ~US$ 3, I'm thinking it's not a high quality one.

This is what I have right now:

Top is the aforementioned hardware store combination stone, the one in the bottom is my dad's stone, which I think he mentioned was a "settling" stone (I take that to be a polishing since it's quite smooth).
I also have a honing rod that's not in the picture.

And yesterday, a friend of my mom's gave me this which he brought back from Japan:

Now, from doing a bit of reading, the 1000 waterstone should be a good all purpose stone, right? Should I try and get a 6000 for polishing, or is that a bit overkill until I upgrade my knife?

I haven't been cooking a lot lately because I moved to a new place and my kitchen was designed by Hitler, but I'm overhauling it next month and that should get me back into avoiding emergency cooking or ordering takeaway. :(

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 18, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

Question about sharpening tools:

I have a Boker 440A stainless steel kitchen knife (it says 7" but it's 20cm). My dad taught me to sharpen with a stone ages and ages ago, and I think that I've been doing a good job: I can keep a good consistent angle and get a good (if not arm hair shaving) edge going, but I'm starting to realize that I have been using, if not the wrong tools, at least inadequate ones. I've always used the hardware store combination stones, no idea what the hell the grit is on those but considering the last one I got was ~US$ 3, I'm thinking it's not a high quality one.

This is what I have right now:

Top is the aforementioned hardware store combination stone, the one in the bottom is my dad's stone, which I think he mentioned was a "settling" stone (I take that to be a polishing since it's quite smooth).
I also have a honing rod that's not in the picture.

And yesterday, a friend of my mom's gave me this which he brought back from Japan:

Now, from doing a bit of reading, the 1000 waterstone should be a good all purpose stone, right? Should I try and get a 6000 for polishing, or is that a bit overkill until I upgrade my knife?

I haven't been cooking a lot lately because I moved to a new place and my kitchen was designed by Hitler, but I'm overhauling it next month and that should get me back into avoiding emergency cooking or ordering takeaway. :(

1k should be fine, it will give you a toothy edge that should last for a decent amount of time. Also you can't really tell the grit of a stone by surface roughness, most of the time it's a decent guide but there are smooth feeling stones with low grits out there.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I've been thinking about getting a knife with this style and came across this one -- anyone ever use it?

http://www.amazon.com/Kotobuki-Teruhisa-Nakiri-Japanese-Kitchen/dp/B009NEFGEY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

The handle is raw, so I'd have to oil or epoxy it, but the reviews seem great.

theturtle
Apr 19, 2016
HAP40

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohawagy24.html

Kohetsu 240mm Gyuto

I was looking for something that can hold a good edge with very minimal sharpening required as I plan to send it out for sharpening when needed. I just don't see the point in spending several hundred dollars on sharpening equipment until I least have a knife set that would warrant it.

Anyone have any opinions on this steel for a newbie doing very light kitchen work, may 3-4 times a week the blade should hold an edge for at least a few months with proper care? Upwards to a year?

I'm not entirely sold on this knife as the video shows a bit of a bump in the blade near the base which seems concerning for such a pricey knife. It seems like it would cause problems with blade contact.

theturtle fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 22, 2016

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

theturtle posted:

Anyone have any opinions on this steel for a newbie doing very light kitchen work, may 3-4 times a week the blade should hold an edge for at least a few months with proper care? Upwards to a year?
As a newbie doing light kitchen work a couple times a week you really, really shouldn't be worrying about knife steel.

You also probably shouldn't be considering dropping two bills on a knife you're not even going to handle first. Like, seriously. Go to a store. Handle some knives from the different major brands. Buy the one you find most comfortable. Use it for a year or two, see if you develop any actual preferences or prejudices or whatever the gently caress based on your actual knife-using habits. Then drop the cash on handmade Hanzo steel if you actually have some reasonable expectation that that's what you want.

I mean it's your cash, your kitchen, your karma. But if you're blind-buying something to whack veg a couple days a week a goddamn US$40 Victorinox chef knife is going to be more knife than you really need.

Also: you don't wait until you have a knife rack full of prestige blades before buying sharpening supplies and learning to make poo poo sharp. You buy your sharpening supplies and practice making poo poo sharp when you're still using cheapass beater knives so you already have your poo poo wired when you start putting all that handmade Sanjo City steel to a stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

theturtle posted:

HAP40

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohawagy24.html

Kohetsu 240mm Gyuto

I was looking for something that can hold a good edge with very minimal sharpening required as I plan to send it out for sharpening when needed. I just don't see the point in spending several hundred dollars on sharpening equipment until I least have a knife set that would warrant it.

I'm not entirely sold on this knife as the video shows a bit of a bump in the blade near the base which seems concerning for such a pricey knife. It seems like it would cause problems with blade contact.

The "bump" is not a defect or anything, just a characteristic or the profile, it seems like a blade more suited to rocking than to chopping or push cutting. There is also the western handled one which has a flatter profile, though it seems out of stock at the moment. You could e-mail Mark at CKTG to ask about when more of those might be available.

Also make sure you send it to a good sharpener, HAP40 is a real PITA to sharpen.

EDIT: The above is also good advice, you might end up going through quite a few knives before you find one you really like. I was lucky and it only took two knives before I found one I really liked but I have heard of people going through 5 or more before finding something that worked well for them, that is a lot of money to spend on fancy knives when something basic might fit your needs just as well.

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 22, 2016

• Locked thread