Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SpacePig posted:

What I'd like to know is who, exactly, benefits from people believing that the earth is a globe.

SomethingsomethingNWOsomething.

The flat Earth stuff is actually kind of fascinating in terms of how much thought some people (like that one youtube video) put into it. Like how they come up with this whole idea that planes circumnavigating the planet are actually flying in a long circle around the edge of the disk.

I think my favorite one of their arguments is "If the Earth were a sphere, wouldn't a plane flying straight just go flying off into space??? Heh, checkmate spherailures." Or the idea that the Earth can't be moving really fast through space because, if it was, it would throw everyone off of it (I'm not joking; they used swinging a tennis ball with water on it around in circles as an example for why everyone would fly off the Earth if it were moving fast). Apparently a large number of flat-Earthers also believe that gravity doesn't exist. When asked why things fall, these guys say "because of density."

Ytlaya has a new favorite as of 19:53 on Apr 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Henchman of Santa posted:

I caught a variation of that:

As if Prince isn't one of the most celebrated musicians who ever lived.

"I liked him before he was dead, unlike everyone else"

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

:captainpop:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Prince is the reason the LasagnaCat video with Manic Monday got muted, so good riddance!!!!!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
it's kind of a sad thought that prince's "estate" is going to hit that DMCA report button until the heat death of the sun though

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Prince couldn't bear to live in a world without Chyna's ginormo dick clit

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Chyna died too? She was great in... 3rd Rock from the Sun.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Ytlaya posted:

SomethingsomethingNWOsomething.

The flat Earth stuff is actually kind of fascinating in terms of how much thought some people (like that one youtube video) put into it. Like how they come up with this whole idea that planes circumnavigating the planet are actually flying in a long circle around the edge of the disk.

I think my favorite one of their arguments is "If the Earth were a sphere, wouldn't a plane flying straight just go flying off into space??? Heh, checkmate spherailures." Or the idea that the Earth can't be moving really fast through space because, if it was, it would throw everyone off of it (I'm not joking; they used swinging a tennis ball with water on it around in circles as an example for why everyone would fly off the Earth if it were moving fast). Apparently a large number of flat-Earthers also believe that gravity doesn't exist. When asked why things fall, these guys say "because of density."

I actually find debunking physics and astronomy conspiracies really fun, cos not only do you get call someone an idiot, you also end up emphasising for yourself that the Earth really is round, and holy poo poo we really did land on the moon.

There is so much that goes on in the world that demonstrates the Earth's roundness that you wouldn't otherwise have thought of.

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 21:04 on Apr 21, 2016

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

SpacePig posted:

What I'd like to know is who, exactly, benefits from people believing that the earth is a globe.

Maybe the other side has really nice weather and beaches and delicious fruits and animals which don't grow on this side.
Every synagogue has an elevator leading down to the other side, so Jewish people just go to Antipodia and have barbecues every Saturday.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

EvilGenius posted:

I actually find debunking physics and astronomy conspiracies really fun, cos not only do you get call someone an idiot, you also end up emphasising for yourself that the Earth really is round, and holy poo poo we really did land on the moon.

There is so much that goes on in the world that demonstrates the Earth's roundness that you wouldn't otherwise have thought of.

Again, I don't know how they justify flying west from California to east Asia.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

twistedmentat posted:

I just realized what this reminds me of, this classic AUG

I'm smarter than everyone, and more modest.

"I'm smarter then them"
"then"

:negative:

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Coworker, just now: "So did you hear about how they're letting men into women's restrooms?"

OH JOY ANOTHER ONE

It was the standard "Well, I just don't want any men in the restroom with me-- well, if they haven't had anything -done- they're just dressing like women, they're not really..."

And I know it's not social media but goddamn it, why do my coworkers always come to me with their racist/sexist/LGBT-phobic ponderings, eagerly, as if expecting me to agree? What am I doing wrong?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Parasol Prophet posted:

Coworker, just now: "So did you hear about how they're letting men into women's restrooms?"

OH JOY ANOTHER ONE

It was the standard "Well, I just don't want any men in the restroom with me-- well, if they haven't had anything -done- they're just dressing like women, they're not really..."

And I know it's not social media but goddamn it, why do my coworkers always come to me with their racist/sexist/LGBT-phobic ponderings, eagerly, as if expecting me to agree? What am I doing wrong?

Those are the types of people who just assume everyone around them agree with them. Their lives are so based around an evil and mysterious "other" that they can't comprehend they could even be friends with or work with someone who wouldn't at least somewhat agree with them

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Parasol Prophet posted:

What am I doing wrong?

They're still breathing

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Henchman of Santa posted:

Again, I don't know how they justify flying west from California to east Asia.

Maybe the world loops, like when you fly off the edge of the screen in Asteroids.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I think my 2 favorite flat earth conspiracy "reasons' are 1) They do it for money. Money that the government gives to Nasa to fake stuff and then gives the excess...back to the government....for reasons and 2) that there's actually an essentially infinite expanse of land past the ice walls full of oil and poo poo and the governments all want to keep it for themselves collectively(?) or something.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

So what's on the underside of the 'flat earth'??

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Snoo posted:

Morlocks

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Maker Of Shoes posted:

"I'm smarter then them"
"then"

:negative:

Don't forget Things I No.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
drat, I guess I am just a dumb vaccine-having, moon-landing-believer, but I never considered that there would be something on the other side of our disc-planet. Can we send satellites around to the other side to take pitchers? Well, probably not because satellites can only fly around in circles. If they fell off the edge of the earth, how would they come back to us?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

The Snoo posted:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Sitting in the break room sipping mediocre coffee having to listen to a group of older nurses go on about how "if we'd just get rid of the blacks, we'd have no crime here".

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

The Snoo posted:

You're very clever, young man, very clever, but it's turtles all the way down.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

I'm on my phone and before I enlarged that pic I thought it was cthulu. Woulda been way cooler.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Ok Fella posted:

I'm on my phone and before I enlarged that pic I thought it was cthulu. Woulda been way cooler.

ugh

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

The Snoo posted:

Also, how are the continents oriented? Is Africa to the left or right of America?

I contend that Africa is west of America. I'm in a minority of flat-earthers who reject the pseudo-scientific orthodoxy of conventional flat-eartherism.

computer angel has a new favorite as of 22:59 on Apr 21, 2016

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Cosima posted:

Also, how are the continents oriented? Is Africa to the left or right of America?

I contend that Africa is west of America. I'm in a minority of flat-earthers who reject the pseudo-scientific orthodoxy of conventional flat-eartherism.

They usually say that the earth is a disk as seen on the UN flag with the north pole at the center and the impenetrable ice wall known as the "south pole" around the outer edge (they also claim the UN flag is proof of the conspiracy). If you fly directly east or west according to them you're really just orbiting around the north pole.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

goose fleet posted:

Prince couldn't bear to live in a world without Chyna's ginormo dick clit

Do you have writers or is this just off the cuff humour? Very impressive either way let me know if you have a patreon or bandcamp I can follow, tia.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I didn't know which out of the awkward or IOSM threads this one best fit in, so I'll just post to both:

E: whoever originally uploaded it didn't censor the names so I went ahead and did that

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Apr 21, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mak0rz posted:

I didn't know which out of the awkward or IOSM threads this one best fit in, so I'll just post to both:

Uuuuuuhhhhhhhh...?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Nice anonymizer, Ray.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

LordSaturn posted:

Nice anonymizer, Ray.

Social Fixer stopped working ages ago for me, I've been cropping them out manually and got lazy. :shrug:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
On the subject of conspiracy theories (is there a PYF Conspiracy Theory?):

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Garrand posted:

I think my 2 favorite flat earth conspiracy "reasons' are 1) They do it for money. Money that the government gives to Nasa to fake stuff and then gives the excess...back to the government....for reasons and 2) that there's actually an essentially infinite expanse of land past the ice walls full of oil and poo poo and the governments all want to keep it for themselves collectively(?) or something.

They're also about 99.9% trolls and man it's obviously working.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

There are like a million prince conspiracy theories floating around already, it's great.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Elderbean posted:

There are like a million prince conspiracy theories floating around already, it's great.

I imagine his remark about "waiting a few days before praying" or some such was taken as a coded message, a defiant cry of help from the clutches of the NWO.

Never change, truthers...

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
*Kramers into anything newsworthy*

B-b-but cops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Busket Posket posted:

*Kramers into anything newsworthy*

B-b-but cops!

Do these people bring up cops at anything.

-our baby was born

-Yeah but did you know that cops died!

-Im gonna be late to dinner tonight

-Yeah well a cop was shot DEAD today

-Mom I graduated from the police Academy.

-But Three cops got killed in duty today! What about them!?