Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Sadistic posted:

Runs where I feel like I'm doing great I come in 8th and then runs like this that I feel were mediocre at best I come in 24 seconds ahead.

The slower you feel, the faster you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sadistic posted:

Sometimes I don't understand this game at all.
Runs where I feel like I'm doing great I come in 8th and then runs like this that I feel were mediocre at best I come in 24 seconds ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5V4CA_R7_k

Vid is recorded in headcam though I play in dashcam with all assists off on a beat to hell Logitech MOMO.

Edit:I should mention that's the 60s Alpine A110

Pra d'Alart right? Youtube timestamps say you did it in about 7:42 which isn't a bad time at all. World record in the 60s is a Mini Cooper at 6:18.6, 2nd place is an A110 at 6:42.3, followed by a whole bunch more A110s all clustered around the high 6s. If you're Sadistic in-game I found a 7:41 run at 251st all time which isn't too shabby.

E: I'm thinking that 6:18 run had to be a hack/bug or maybe something with an earlier physics model that was more forgiving. 2nd place is a full 25s off which doesn't seem right.

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
In his image God made me ugly.
Yea I'm Sadistic in game and it is a Pretty good time. It's more that I embarrassingly knocked myself off the walls a few times in that vid and felt like it was going to be an awful run but somehow still pulled a good time.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I frequently drive like a pussy on the Sweden stages and then the splits will pop up with like a 30 sec advantage.

Then I am doing balls to the wall in Finland and am constantly 30 seconds behind.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I did a more aggressive Pra d'Alart run and came in just above 7:30. I'm using an XB360 controller and all assists off. One thing I did do with the car setup was to take the final drive ratio way down from the default after noticing I wasn't coming close to topping out 5th gear. Other than that it's just some firming up of suspension bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFM-8GKiwrs
(Sorry for 360p, first time uploading to Youtube and apparently Youtube takes longer to render in 1080, so maybe it'll be 1080 by the time you click on it or maybe I hosed up the encoding settings. :shrug:) Sure enough, it got 1080 quality like 10m after I uploaded.

E: \/\/\/ :):hf::)

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 21, 2016

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I know I'm a little late to this party but the Alpine A110 is ridiculously fun to drive.

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
It is a really fun car. I might have to go back and make that run again since I'd just bought the car and couldn't do and real adjustments to it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

How much grip is left on the Table with the default tuning setups?

I noticed that dropping two clicks of basic suspension and dampers makes the fiat handle way better on gravel.

Does the default setup vary between locations at all?

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
The basic tuning options leave a lot to be desired if that's what you mean.
AS for the basic setup being different in each location I'm pretty sure it is.

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004

Laserface posted:

then the splits will pop up with like a 30 sec advantage.

I think they are super distracting and turned it off.
Anyone else just said gently caress it I don't need to know what the other cars are doing?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I would like it to just display the split when I hit the split check point rather than get my hopes up with the green time that slowly goes into a red time as a cross the checkpoint :(

and yeah right in the middle of the screen is bullshit.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Somebody should make a PC mod that shows the Dark Souls "You Died" text when you have a stage ending accident

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The baseline setups are certainly different, mostly in gearing in my experience. They're also very safe and biased towards understeer, as is the case with most sim racing defaults.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Sadistic posted:

Anyone else just said gently caress it I don't need to know what the other cars are doing?

Yeah, one of the first things I did was turn off the entire HUD and I have a lot more fun that way.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Sadistic posted:

Yep, I keep the pacenote graphics on (just in case) and the bar at the side so I know roughly how far into a stage I am, but turned off the split times because the way they showed up right in the middle of the screen was super annoying.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Laserface posted:

Wow going from a controller to a wheel is...tough. I mean i had the wheel mounted to an ironing board but its definitely not what I remember it being like when I used a force feedback wheel on my 360.

Using a G920 on xbox, anyone got any controller settings to suggest?

I have a g29 and started with these settings and tweaked them as I felt my FFB was a little too strong.

These are by a guy who did some rally's mostly in a 95 suburu (or at least so he says).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah I use that same setup, its in the workshop. Any G27 settings will work with a G29/920 as they use the same FFB motor.

Also welcome to the wonderful world of looking up FFB settings.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Why does the co-driver always says "finish" like he's disappointed in you. Even when I don't bang into the walls or spin the car into a ravine.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Why does the co-driver always says "finish" like he's disappointed in you. Even when I don't bang into the walls or spin the car into a ravine.

Well, how many times did you pull a Thelma and Louise in Montecarlo or hugged a tree in Finland before getting there? He remembers. He remembers.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well, how many times did you pull a Thelma and Louise in Montecarlo or hugged a tree in Finland before getting there? He remembers. He remembers.

You'd think he would be a little more enthusiastic about getting the hell out of the car then. :colbert:

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
This game is like .. crack. But how the hell do I drive on snowy roads without spinning the gently caress out? Just slow down and drive like my grandma?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

NT Plus posted:

This game is like .. crack. But how the hell do I drive on snowy roads without spinning the gently caress out? Just slow down and drive like my grandma?

Yes. Slow is fast.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Sadistic posted:

Yeah. I originally turned them off for the credit boost but then I discovered I liked the game much better without any hud.

VVV haha yeah that's a good idea. It sucks fixing your tire then rounding 3 corners and seeing the finish.

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 21, 2016

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

InterFaced posted:

Yeah. I originally turned them off for the credit boost but then I discovered I liked the game much better without any hud.

I have them off too, the only one I miss is the progress bar, but even then I only want it when I blow a tire. A real codriver would call out how long to the end of the stage at that point, so you can decide whether to fix it or muddle on.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

NT Plus posted:

When I first started playing this game I hated Sweden. Now its one of my favorites. It's very chill and zen when you get the hang of it. Honestly maybe I just love Sweden for the "pooomph" sound your car makes when landing snowy jumps.

... Actually, now that I think about it I'm trying to think of a video game with better audio than Dirt: Rally right now and I'm coming up blank.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

bitcoin bastard posted:

I have them off too, the only one I miss is the progress bar, but even then I only want it when I blow a tire. A real codriver would call out how long to the end of the stage at that point, so you can decide whether to fix it or muddle on.

Wait a second, you can fix a puncture mid-stage?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Wait a second, you can fix a puncture mid-stage?

Stop the car and it will prompt you. The penalty is 1:30 I think.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

InterFaced posted:

... Actually, now that I think about it I'm trying to think of a video game with better audio than Dirt: Rally right now and I'm coming up blank.

Check out RaceRoom Racing Experience on Steam (free demo). Its sound is loving mind-blowing, especially with a decent pair of headphones. Anybody who likes racing games should play it a bit just to hear it. Better AI than most racing sims, too.

Though not a racing game (unless you count space canyons), Elite Dangerous has terrific sound as well.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Alien:Isolation has incredible sound design, especially with good headphones.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Shine posted:

Check out RaceRoom Racing Experience on Steam (free demo). Its sound is loving mind-blowing, especially with a decent pair of headphones. Anybody who likes racing games should play it a bit just to hear it. Better AI than most racing sims, too.

Though not a racing game (unless you count space canyons), Elite Dangerous has terrific sound as well.

The three games I've been playing lately are the new trackmania, dirt and elite dangerous. You're right that one does sound great. Dirt is the first simmy racing game I've ever really fallen in love with. I've been eyeballing raceroom for awhile. The only reason I haven't downloaded a demo yet is because I'm afraid it'll make me really want a wheel I can't afford right now. Since its been officially goon recommended I guess I'd better just shutup and start downloading. :)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There are a lot of arguments over RaceRoom, but it having the best sounds in any racing game is undisputed. It's fairly solid with a gamepad too.

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009
I think the RaceRoom devs put out an article about their philosophy on the sound design. About how force feedback isn't good enough, so they emphasize certain sounds in order to give you a better idea what your tires are doing.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

InterFaced posted:

The only other game I'm really playing at the moment is Rainbow Six Siege which uses sound design very effectively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI4YfurxVZU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I did not know that, thank you!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

Alien:Isolation has incredible sound design, especially with good headphones.

Holy poo poo, yes! Your ears are just as handy as your eyes in that game.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I did not know that, thank you!

I don't think you don't get a spare tire for pikes peak though. I've hobbled my rear end up that mountain a few times in dailys.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

There are a lot of arguments over RaceRoom, but it having the best sounds in any racing game is undisputed. It's fairly solid with a gamepad too.
I found it quite bad on controller when I tried it. I think SCE (also bad with a controller) was maybe even easier than RaceRoom when I tried it with my controller while my wheel was shipping.

Dirt Rally is definitely in a totally different league (for the better) for controller play-ability than RaceRoom; I wouldn't recommend it without a wheel personally (it's free to try though... so no harm done unless you're a poor SoB with a monthly bandwidth cap).

If it didn't involve DLing 20 gigs to check out (for basically demo-level content until you buy one of their bundles), I might give it another try now that I have a wheel and people said they tweaked the physics so the cars feel less like driving around a 60's era land yacht.

The sound quality was something special though, that's for sure.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Always felt that penalty was a little harsh. Unless you drop a tire in the first half of a long run, it's probably costing you more time to fix it; granted, a much better experience since driving with a tire down (particularly when it gets to bare rim) is usually miserable.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Shine posted:

I fly a Viper partly because the sound.

And yes, the only thing I took away from RaceRoom was that it actually sounds like you're driving. I have a high horsepower engine irl and when you hit 3rd gear the car is loving screaming at you.

I guess newer airplane games like IL-2:Battle of Stalingrad have good sound. The distances are so great in that game you will see explosions before you hear them. And in War Thunder when planes fly by it sounds pretty cool.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I have a g29 and started with these settings and tweaked them as I felt my FFB was a little too strong.

These are by a guy who did some rally's mostly in a 95 suburu (or at least so he says).

Thanks.

Although I only have on/off options for soft lock. and I still dont know what it does? I cant tell by the description or by just trying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadistic
Dec 1, 2004
Your base device settings are going to be important as well.

Mine looks like this from advice I received during my short time playing iRacing.

• Locked thread