Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

El Gar posted:

How long till all the hydroelectric dams break open?

That probably depends a lot on when in the year people disappear. If the spill gates are fully open, they might last a while.
If they are closed, the first decent spring melt will overflow the dams and cause rapid erosion over the top.

*Not a dam engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Some dam designs require seepage to be pumped from their foundations. Those are in trouble without maintenance.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Baronjutter posted:

Any recently built glass curtain wall condo tower would have its windows falling out after a few years due to extremely lovely constructon and poor material choices. Hell this is happening anyways even with basic attempts at upkeep. Wandering around cities you'd be constantly hearing sheets of glass falling 20+ stories to the ground. The actual core concrete or steel structures would last a long time though.

Problem with concrete structures, is that once that glass falls out, the weather can get inside, and that's what's going to bring them down. You have something like your average NY skyscraper starting to lose it's glass shell, and water seeps in. That alone is bad for concrete, as it seeps into cracks, causes erosion in places it pools and moves through, and starts to seep into the concrete and causes the metal reinforcing to rust. If that building is in a climate with a winter, then you have even faster degredation as that moisture inside the concrete freezes and expands. In the spring it melts and leaves cracks that allows even more water inside. This increased water expands when frozen and makes the cracks bigger, allowing more water. . . you get the idea. One of those "after humans are gone" shows was saying something like the Sears Tower would last max ~200 years, while things like the Empire State building and the other 1930's-40's skyscrapers would last 2-3 times longer.

A place like Dubai is going to see their buildings lasting hundreds of years after the skyline of New York flattens itself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blistex posted:

A place like Dubai is going to see their buildings lasting hundreds of years after the skyline of New York flattens itself.

I get what’s better about the ESB vs. the Willis Tower, but what’s different about Dubai’s construction?

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

I get what’s better about the ESB vs. the Willis Tower, but what’s different about Dubai’s construction?

Dubai's weather

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adix posted:

Dubai's weather

Oh right.

What about a place like Singapore, which has never been hotter than 36.0°C nor cooler than 19.4°C? I expect it would beat Dubai.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 22, 2016

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Oh right.

What about a place like Singapore, which has never been hotter than 36.0°C nor cooler than 19.4°C? I expect it would beat Dubai.

It escapes the freeze/thaw damage, sure, but it's still got water erosion to deal with, whereas Dubai kind of doesn't.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Boat posted:

It escapes the freeze/thaw damage, sure, but it's still got water erosion to deal with, whereas Dubai kind of doesn't.

Water by itself without the freeze/thaw is going to take a loooong time to damage concrete. The concrete setting process is actually a hydration reaction, it's pretty standard after a big pour to lay down burlap over it and set sprinklers on it to keep it wet, both to cool the exothermic reaction and the provide an excess of water for the surface layer to react with. Hoover Dam is such a big set of pours that it's still curing today, and actually becoming stronger.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I think you guys want "Life after people"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1g5g09_life-after-people-episode-1-life-after-people-discovery-history-science-documentary_tv

It got like a whole 3 seasons lol

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

That would be lovely to be hit by a falling window, you'd never see it coming.

[img of the Saudi dude almost sliced in half by a falling pane of glass.]

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

I think you're forgetting that Dubai is going to be sucked beneath the sands like Ubar the second the oil runs out.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

El Gar posted:

How long till all the hydroelectric dams break open?

Hoover Dam is gonna be there for thousands of years.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

After all the glass lined buildings are sandblasted enough the view is gonna them is gonna suck.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Byzantine posted:

Hoover Dam is gonna be there for thousands of years.

I couldn't find any good articles on Hoover having the same problem, but don't lots of dams have problems with sediment accumulation?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I couldn't find any good articles on Hoover having the same problem, but don't lots of dams have problems with sediment accumulation?

I think the Glen Canyon Dam takes the lion’s share of that, but of course when it fails catastrophically, Hoover will follow.

e: In 500–700 years if sediment is indeed the limiting factor on lifespan here (unlikely).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Platystemon posted:

I think the Glen Canyon Dam takes the lion’s share of that, but of course when it fails catastrophically, Hoover will follow.

e: In 500–700 years if sediment is indeed the limiting factor on lifespan here (unlikely).

That would take a really long time, since Glen Canyon's spillway's would prevent over-topping except for some really amazing flood levels. In theory the spillways could erode out and collapse, which would then cause the dam to become a giant waterfall. No idea how long it would last after that, but if it lasted long enough to be over-topped because of sediment fill, then there would be no catastrophic wave of water into Lake Mead, because there wouldn't be all that much water in Lake Powell due to the sediment fill, right?

It would be a hell of a sight to see though if Glen Canyon did collapse, as the river reclaimed the canyons by carving ridiculous canyons into the sediment in a super-accelerated version of the original erosion process.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cumslut1895 posted:

I think you're forgetting that Dubai is going to be sucked beneath the sands like Ubar the second the oil runs out.

In which case the buildings will stay largely intact for thousands of years, right? Give future alien archeologists something neat to look at.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Well, what would happen for the Hoover dam is that it would probably become a waterfall. The Quaga mussel, a non-native invasive would quickly block the pipes that lead to the turbines in the dam, meaning that for however long it would take Lake Mead to fill with water, there would be no water flowing through the dam.

Provided that there are no major failures upstream of the Hoover, the structural integrity of the dam means that it would probably last for at least two centuries while functioning as a waterfall. Eventually, natural erosion would compromise the structure of the dam and it would fail in tremendous fashion, doing some pretty incredible things as the entire stored energy of Lake Mead is suddenly released like an atom bomb.

But bits and pieces of Hoover would probably last for thousands for years.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Facebook Aunt posted:

In which case the buildings will stay largely intact for thousands of years, right? Give future alien archeologists something neat to look at.

that depends if it they literally sink or if it's more of a 'crushed beneath the weight of your sins" type thing

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Platystemon posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/02/mosul-dam-engineers-warn-it-could-fail-at-any-time-killing-1m-people

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.google.com/maps/@26.795363,91.505313,3a,34.6y,6.08h,83.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sagJYmu5oblbDYMwCKFVufg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

there's only a handful of rivers between this truck and that dam i think they factored that into the warning

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

What about munition storage facilities or manufacturing plants? I know it's quite archaic, but I'm thinking of the movie Sorcerer where dynamite that didn't get rotated correctly or something became super unstable and exploded at the slightest glance.

I guess that could apply to any sort of chemical storage facility that if left on it's own without "stirring" or something similar could become a big danger, so would that be any kind of potential problem?

edit:
This made me think of compost piles, too, and remember how someone tested food cooking in a one. Forgot where that was at, though.

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 22, 2016

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Imagine all the pressure vessels around the world corroding and failing in many spectacular ways depending on contents and environment.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

nope, no nope, no, no, nope, nope, no, that's just a joke, someone did that to take a joke picture.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AzureSkys posted:

What about munition storage facilities or manufacturing plants? I know it's quite archaic, but I'm thinking of the movie Sorcerer where dynamite that didn't get rotated correctly or something became super unstable and exploded at the slightest glance.

I guess that could apply to any sort of chemical storage facility that if left on it's own without "stirring" or something similar could become a big danger, so would that be any kind of potential problem?

edit:
This made me think of compost piles, too, and remember how someone tested food cooking in a one. Forgot where that was at, though.

With dynamite, the problem is that dynamite is basically just nitroglycerin (the infamous super-sensitive liquid explosive) soaked into something like diatomaceous earth or clay to make it more stable. Over time and in poor storage conditions, dynamite will "sweat" the nitro out onto the surface, making it very unstable and shock-sensitive.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chitoryu12 posted:

With dynamite, the problem is that dynamite is basically just nitroglycerin (the infamous super-sensitive liquid explosive) soaked into something like diatomaceous earth or clay to make it more stable. Over time and in poor storage conditions, dynamite will "sweat" the nitro out onto the surface, making it very unstable and shock-sensitive.

I saw a documentary about this once

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

This is pretty much a guaranteed house fire, yes?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

They stripped the wires in the sockets and it's surrounded by styrofoam :stonklol:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Someone eating a banana gets raptured but the banana does not so it becomes a slipping hazard

The banana would also be raptured.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I don't think bananas are without sin

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I don't think bananas are without sin

We made bananas in our image.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Let he who has no rind cast the first stone.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

Mozi posted:

Let he who has no rind cast the first stone.

Let he who is without skin cast the first stone.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Yeah but I was going for the double pun on stone meaning the seed of the fruit and those mostly have rinds :( I really screwed up :(

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Randyslawterhouse posted:

Let he who is without skin cast the first stone.

:worship:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

we've been chewing on this over the morning and i'm 99% sure this is a home studio attempt. Tip 1 is the styrofoam sheets, a likely cheap go-to for lazy people (I buy the 2" thick sheets of the exact same stuff from Home Depot to build insulating skirts underneath our RV in the winter). Tip 2 is the fact that they didn't extend the ground. This is a Feature Not A Bug as they probably have a bunch of lovely ground loop issues in their janky amps and gear, and that would solve it for everything downstream of that outlet.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i like how the new receptacles appear hastily hacked from some other wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there's no obvious screw or faceplate on that one, so of course they peered at it for 10 seconds and shrugged and started digging into the wall with a kitchen knife