Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

counterfeitsaint posted:

That makes no sense at all, according to anyone who cares at all about the difference between gender and sex, you can change your gender at will anyways?

i agree

what, this scp makes people dance uncontrollably? that's dumb you can dance whenever you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

counterfeitsaint posted:

That makes no sense at all, according to anyone who cares at all about the difference between gender and sex, you can change your gender at will anyways?

To be serious for a moment, most people don't ever do that last part, so an object that causes people to suddenly do that is weird and in the SCP context worthy of containment.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Holy poo poo they finally got rid of those drat panties. Praise Jesus.

http://scpclassic.wikidot.com/scp-430

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I identify as a poorly thought out SCP

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ElGroucho posted:

I identify as a poorly thought out SCP

So that's your excuse for being a very heavy 2 meter sphere locked in a windowless room

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

So that's your excuse for being a very heavy 2 meter sphere locked in a windowless room

Don't forget the power ripped off some 90's manga

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

fishmech posted:

holy poo poo

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Imagine 4 abnormally heavy spheres at the edge of a containment cell...

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Christ, I get we touched someone's nerve.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I, personally, identify as an SCP in the vein of those Hello Kitty panties: methodically thought through on every level other than "is this actually a good idea?"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fishmech posted:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

fishmech posted:

:golfclap:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I hadn't checked on this site in years; when did it get taken over by TVtropes types, or was I just blissfully unaware before?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
There has been always a heavy overlap between the two communities. The same thing that is appealing about real wikis of tropes is also in fictional wikis of horror tropes.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

scpclassic does not count. It still has shadow the hedgehog as an entry. It's full troper, instead of just high concentrations of trope.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

ElGroucho posted:

I hadn't checked on this site in years; when did it get taken over by TVtropes types, or was I just blissfully unaware before?

The very first SCP was 173 (the sculpture) and it was supposedly copypasta'd on /x/ back in 2007 around the time Doctor Who introduced the Weeping Angels. Draw your own conclusions.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

DeusExMachinima posted:

The very first SCP was 173 (the sculpture) and it was supposedly copypasta'd on /x/ back in 2007 around the time Doctor Who introduced the Weeping Angels. Draw your own conclusions.

Apparently 173 was posted a month or so before the Weeping Angels were broadcast. It's possible someone with a source inside Doctor Who production was able to rip them off early, but it's more likely that they were created independently and the similarity is coincidental. It's not like "thing that moves when you're not watching" hasn't been done before.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah that's the entire gimmick of the mario ghosts.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Apparently 173 was posted a month or so before the Weeping Angels were broadcast. It's possible someone with a source inside Doctor Who production was able to rip them off early, but it's more likely that they were created independently and the similarity is coincidental. It's not like "thing that moves when you're not watching" hasn't been done before.
"Multiple concurrent sources of similar ideas" sounds like a good SCP in and of itself - a multidimensional meme that manifests in multiple simultaneous places in our reality.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

"Multiple concurrent sources of similar ideas" sounds like a good SCP in and of itself - a multidimensional meme that manifests in multiple simultaneous places in our reality.

So to conceal it the Foundation hastily seeds a ton of roms and arcade machines for with a badly translated zero wing copy, so everyone thinks that was the origin?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

only if those ideas cause hair loss - it was secretly created by some kind of rogaine type company

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Tunicate posted:

So to conceal it the Foundation hastily seeds a ton of roms and arcade machines for with a badly translated zero wing copy, so everyone thinks that was the origin?

I was thinking along the lines of "a bug's life and antz coming out within a few weeks of each other" but that's good too. It would basically be an explanation for why mass media is so derivative.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I was thinking along the lines of "a bug's life and antz coming out within a few weeks of each other" but that's good too. It would basically be an explanation for why mass media is so derivative.

Then make five more scps about roughly the same phenomenon.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

:golfclap:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
From a discussion of bad SCPs elsewhere:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Grand Prize Winner posted:

It'd be really neat if it was done as a collaboration between two people who vehemently denied collaborating.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-231-j

I can't decide if this is funny or not.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I think I've reached the point where I just can't take any more of dave's -J submissions.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm pretty fond of the phase "the usage of the highly esoteric and experimental technique known as 'having written it down prior to the amnestics.'"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Parahexavoctal posted:

I liked this bit:

quote:

Procedure 110-Montauk:

1. The six class-D personnel will enter SCP-231-7's containment chamber, holding a suitcase filled with $500,000.00 in cash.

2. The six D-class personnel will throw the cash at SCP-231-7 in as disorganized and passive-aggressive of a manner as possible.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

"Brutal mishandling of funding assets"?! Turns out 110-Montauk was a Foundation trap after all, but for the readership and not Montauk volunteers.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

re: D-class i'd write up a thing about taking things too seriously but

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Parahexavoctal posted:

No, this is definitely funny.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The "snarky" tone is pretty bad but otherwise yeah I'm going with funny.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

fishmech posted:

oh sweet Jesus

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I didn't read SCP for like three years. why is everything full of wizards now

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

atomicthumbs posted:

I didn't read SCP for like three years. why is everything full of wizards now

I believe it is the step-by-step progress of a) people started writing self-inserts, b) people starting making over-the-top poo poo to make fun of self-inserts, c) people not understanding irony and started to seriously write progressively more extreme self-inserts.

At least I really hope there was an ironic step in between.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I thought the community was already sick of mary sue self inserts five years ago.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

zachol posted:

I thought the community was already sick of mary sue self inserts five years ago.

Only if it's an SCP. If your genius anthropomorphic dog character whose name is literally Kain Pathos Crow is a scientist, then you're fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
Im so jealous because I could never come up with a name that ironically brilliant. Hiro Protagonist is a distant second to Kain Pathos Crow for the crown of best terrible name.