Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I can view my desktop and stream games easily, it's just that it doesn't seem to use the touch interface with this game and I'd like it to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Natural wonder on top of a resource tile, that's a new one on me:

Explains why the mayans had a fleet of work boats.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
The Community Balance Mod seems pretty popular here. Has anyone used the NQ mod? It's more multiplayer geared but it seems to do a pretty good job, and the companion map mod is also pretty great.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770533&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Just in case people like watching other people play Civ V, here's LP by post of a person playing Portugal (no mods)

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Xelkelvos posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770533&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Just in case people like watching other people play Civ V, here's LP by post of a person playing Portugal (no mods)

Note that this is actually a "thread votes for what I do" type of LP, so it might get weird.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zopotantor posted:

Note that this is actually a "thread votes for what I do" type of LP, so it might get weird.

I haven't gotten around to reading the whole thing, but the goonmind voted unmodded Piety for the opening policy, so yeah.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I used to do no settler runs as the huns and one time I had an lp all ready to go but then BNW came out and screwed up my saves and strategies. I should look into doing that again.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I'd really love a mod that shows you a sort of realistic view of your city. Kinda like Civ 3 but less bad

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I'd really love a mod that shows you a sort of realistic view of your city. Kinda like Civ 3 but less bad

Civ 3 was almost there it was just really empty and needed to fill more space with civilian housing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Fintilgin posted:

Civ 3 was almost there it was just really empty and needed to fill more space with civilian housing.

Works great if your city is named Pyongyang

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Sanctum posted:

Natural wonder on top of a resource tile, that's a new one on me:

Explains why the mayans had a fleet of work boats.

Holy poo poo, Spain.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I tried assyria for the first time, they just look so unassuming on paper that I hadn't bothered.

They never mention that the +15 XP library UB actually gives bonus XP to all gifted city-state units. That's actually really useful, especially when you start next to a militaristic city-state that gives english longbowmen. And I thought the siege tower would only give a bonus against cities to adjacent units, instead it gives it to all (land) units attacking the city even if it's a longbowman/artillery 3 tiles away.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I used to do no settler runs as the huns and one time I had an lp all ready to go but then BNW came out and screwed up my saves and strategies. I should look into doing that again.
I saw this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdr9rIqvcfU

I thought after killing 2 civs off he'd run out of steam and have to work on eco and play a normal game but nope. Playing on marathon length is pretty critical to that strategy working I imagine. Have fun grinding the rest out on marathon.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Started playing this again after nostalgia goggles wore off on Civ 4. Not experienced enough to know real poo poo but looking around for thematic setups that still seem decent.

Decided to try an Aztec religion-focused domination game, since their stuff seems to go well with that sort of thing, using faith to recruit units.

Spawned next to loving Uluru. This was a good idea.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I don't normally use great generals to steal tiles from city-states - especially not during the ancient/classical era - but this was one satisfying grab. Already improved workable sheep + horse tiles and a new luxury, on top of being the perfect defensive citadel location to choke the aztecs on if they get any funny ideas.

I really want to declare a defensive war just to get some XP and watch the aztec army get demolished, but I have no other contacts and I'm on deity so their 2 trade routes account for over 10% of my total science right now. And I got a luxury trade with them. :geno:

Meanwhile I'm playing with a bunch of mods that turn raging barbs up to 11 and one AI has already lost their capital but somehow, unbelievably, one deity AI managed to build petra on turn 95 of an epic length game. In the midst of most AIs trading cities back and forth and getting all their poo poo pillaged. The AIs get a 60% bonus to barbs and 30 free XP on top of all their other poo poo, I don't feel bad for them. I had to struggle more than them to survive the first 50 turns.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

What happens when barbarians capture a capital city?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

If I remember right they take over the city just as if another civ had captured it. From there it just acts like a tougher barbarian camp with the option of annexing, puppeting, razing or liberating it once captured.

Now that I think of it, I wonder what happens if barbarians capture ALL the capitals.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Nova88 posted:

Managed to get an updated GoonPack finally working. Uses the 3/18 version of the CBP.

Edits made, replaced InfoAddict with Global Relations, since I find InfoAddict gives players too much info, and various of the extra civs have been removed, due to misplacing them when trying to get the modpack to work, or them causing issues during testing. A few were removed because my friends and I are intending to play with this pack and didn't want any civs with multiple leaders.

If I get the time for it I'll recompile the modpack with all the civs included that were in the original GoonPack but I've spent way too long staring at loading screens getting this to work to bother right now.

Shamelessly adapted the original GoonPack post below:

Download Links posted:
Civilization Goonpack CBP Edition

Decryption Key: !dvdAUf5CDNd7fXb36JmsvEaie0Gl-L5HoLJ4OC9qfxs

Hey Nova, thanks for doing some fixes and updating the modpack. Infoaddict at times caused me problems too so perhaps Global Relations will be more stable. I also considered dropping duplicate Civs to make the pack leaner, however I was playing some WW2 scenarios at the time and I enjoy some of the UAs so I kept them.

A heads up about the Inuit civ (which you removed):

It'll work if you use the mod I included in my original GoonPack. I had to do some bug-fixes that caused desyncs, but I successfully fixed it. This will apply to some other civs, which is why I did not always use the most recent version of many of the Civs. I brought the desync to the attention of the mod makers over a half year ago but they don't seem to care.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sanctum posted:

on top of being the perfect defensive citadel location to choke the aztecs on if they get any funny ideas.

Hahaha "if" he says

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I didn't think they could capture cities at all, don't they just get it to 0 health and then basically ransom it? Or did that change somewhere along the way? I've never been lax enough in barb-busting to see for myself. :v:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Sanctum posted:

I don't normally use great generals to steal tiles from city-states - especially not during the ancient/classical era - but this was one satisfying grab. Already improved workable sheep + horse tiles and a new luxury, on top of being the perfect defensive citadel location to choke the aztecs on if they get any funny ideas.

I really want to declare a defensive war just to get some XP and watch the aztec army get demolished, but I have no other contacts and I'm on deity so their 2 trade routes account for over 10% of my total science right now. And I got a luxury trade with them. :geno:

Meanwhile I'm playing with a bunch of mods that turn raging barbs up to 11 and one AI has already lost their capital but somehow, unbelievably, one deity AI managed to build petra on turn 95 of an epic length game. In the midst of most AIs trading cities back and forth and getting all their poo poo pillaged. The AIs get a 60% bonus to barbs and 30 free XP on top of all their other poo poo, I don't feel bad for them. I had to struggle more than them to survive the first 50 turns.

The west bank... the gaza strip.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I didn't think they could capture cities at all, don't they just get it to 0 health and then basically ransom it? Or did that change somewhere along the way? I've never been lax enough in barb-busting to see for myself. :v:

He is using barbarian mods, so he probably has one where they can capture cities. There was a barb mod I used to make them super strong, but it didn't work with CBP (and the AI really sucked at dealing with them). I still miss playing Terra maps and finding the other continent and having it full of barbarian cities (like in Civ4). Supposedly Civ 6 is coming out this year, so we'll see how badly they ruin the vanilla experience and then fix it 2 expansions in.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Here's my current defensive situation.

I'm playing on small continents and we've got a sort of north/south America thing going on, I think this was generated as two landmasses but sea level was too low or something to split them. That isthmus is the only connection between the two lands, with Spain and India on the south and America, Ethiopia, the Huns, and Portugal on the north (I don't play city-states). I'm playing a Washington themed game, going isolationist. I tried to intervene on Ethiopia's behalf against Attila which ended predictably, but when Spain invaded from the south we held them off at that isthmus until they gave up. I'm gonna stick a citadel where that fort is eventually and I've got warships on reserve to come in and keep people from going around it. It'll be tough to get past the archers but once I have artillery to stick there I can't imagine even a massive army breaking through that point.

As much as I miss some elements of Civ 4, the new combat system was a godsend. Wars feel like wars, with fronts and strategic considerations and terrain, instead of just bashing giant stacks of units together until somebody nukes them. It's too bad the AI isn't really smart enough to take advantage.

Also, is there some kind of military respect aspect to character opinions? After I tried to fight Attila he started calling me constantly to talk poo poo about my economy and call my dog gay, but then once I ramped up my military against Spain suddenly he wants to be my friend. Now I've got enough of an economy for a big standing army and I'm turning the desert between him and me into fortified no-man's-land for when he inevitably turns on me again.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Also, is there some kind of military respect aspect to character opinions?

Yes. If you maintain too little of an army, even the most peaceful will start being asses and eventually try to take advantage.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If you can't hold a chokepoint then I don't even know what to tell you. Chokepoints render vs AI combat way too easy.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Why isn't that fort on the actual chokepoint?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
With the Goon pack, is this thing supposed to happen, where a City State doesn't get founded, but instead stays a Settler?

Because that Settler is Hong Kong.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

berryjon posted:

With the Goon pack, is this thing supposed to happen, where a City State doesn't get founded, but instead stays a Settler?

Because that Settler is Hong Kong.

If there's too many civs/city States for the map that happens.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

uPen posted:

If there's too many civs/city States for the map that happens.

Nope, Small Map with 6 Civs and 8 CS's, so that shouldn't have been a problem. Maybe the AI saw all the arctic around its starting point, and it went looking for a better spot?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's a bug that can happen in stock civ iirc.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Eh, it happened. Got a free worker out of it, so I think it was a win-win deal.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

berryjon posted:

Eh, it happened. Got a free worker out of it, so I think it was a win-win deal.

:eng101: City-states can provide many free workers!

Machado de Assis
Dec 12, 2005

Nova88 posted:

Managed to get an updated GoonPack finally working. Uses the 3/18 version of the CBP.

Edits made, replaced InfoAddict with Global Relations, since I find InfoAddict gives players too much info, and various of the extra civs have been removed, due to misplacing them when trying to get the modpack to work, or them causing issues during testing. A few were removed because my friends and I are intending to play with this pack and didn't want any civs with multiple leaders.

If I get the time for it I'll recompile the modpack with all the civs included that were in the original GoonPack but I've spent way too long staring at loading screens getting this to work to bother right now.

Shamelessly adapted the original GoonPack post below:

Download Links posted:
Civilization Goonpack CBP Edition

Decryption Key: !dvdAUf5CDNd7fXb36JmsvEaie0Gl-L5HoLJ4OC9qfxs

Download link for this is dead, anyone got another? Alternatively, what mods are worth looking into for someone that has only played vanilla but is more interested in bugfixes and minor tweaks than major reworks (AI improvements in particular would be cool).

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Machado de Assis posted:

Download link for this is dead, anyone got another? Alternatively, what mods are worth looking into for someone that has only played vanilla but is more interested in bugfixes and minor tweaks than major reworks (AI improvements in particular would be cool).

For non-gameplay-altering mods, the Enhanced User Interface and Community Patch are both reasonable. Beware, though, that EUI is a really large change to the basic game view which will break when combined with some other mods and has to be manually installed rather than working through the game's built-in mod system, and while the Community Patch proper only has small changes you have to be careful not to also install the Community Balance Patch which overhauls the entire game. Really Advanced Setup gives you more options when setting up your game, like giving everyone a Lake Victoria near their capital or making sure Rome starts with a source of Iron so it can use its unique swordsman.

There are a few large-scale balance mods whose primary goal is to keep the game mostly the same but improve diversity. NQMod is primarily focused on the multiplayer "No Quitters" community, and has some fairly hefty changes in some of the policy trees, while Acken's Minimalistic Balance Mod is designed for singleplayer and generally more faithful to the original game, as well as notably altering the AI.

There's also a few mods I like which extend parts of the base game: More Luxuries does exactly what you think it does, as well as altering the luxury generation code a bit (note that this will break some mapscripts); More Great Works and Krazjen's Writer, Artist, and Musician packs are good if you want play extremely large games without running out of Great Works or you just want some extra variety on them. 3rd Unique Component and 4th Unique Component give each Civilization an additional two unique components, though any mod civ will still have just their base two.

There's mods which add or alter fairly independent subsystems to the game: Events and Decisions gives you a set of "decisions" like "Hire a Great Person" or "Fund the Louisiana Purchase" (an America-specific decision) that give you bonuses if you can pay their costs; it also has a huge degree of compatibility support among mod civ makers. City-State Diplomacy replaces the city-state gold gift system with a series of diplomatic units that you build and then send to the city, as well as altering or adding a number of World Congress resolutions.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 22, 2016

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

:eng101: City-states can provide many free workers!

A free worker on turn 3 is worth a hell of a lot more than 2 free workers 30 and 50 turns later.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Chamale posted:

A free worker on turn 3 is worth a hell of a lot more than 2 free workers 30 and 50 turns later.

Nothing wrong with getting all three of these.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Chamale posted:

Not really. Without any techs you can only build farms. Admittedly that isn't nothing, but since you have to pay the cost of maintenance for the unit so early I'd hardly say that is worth "a hell of a lot more."

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Steal worker, sell worker.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dragonrah posted:

Not really. Without any techs you can only build farms. Admittedly that isn't nothing, but since you have to pay the cost of maintenance for the unit so early I'd hardly say that is worth "a hell of a lot more."

You're probably going to want a couple farms, and by the time those are done you'll have mining or husbandry.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

You're probably going to want a couple farms, and by the time those are done you'll have mining or husbandry.

Yeah. What that screenshot didn't show was the two gold and 1 jade within 2 hexes of my capitol, with another gold 3 hexes out. Two farms, then mining came up, and I was swimming in money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How do you win a culture victory? I've producing over 300 tourism a turn in 1700 and my influence is still falling with this civ. (I'd post a screenshot but for some reason print screen isn't working). I can win any other kind of victory but I've never even come close to a culture win.

While I'm asking for advice - is there a way to play that doesn't devolve into having to wipe out half the world just to get them to stop attacking me? I usually end up with at least half the world as puppets just because the idiots won't stop attacking and won't make peace even when I consistently crush their attacks.

• Locked thread