Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

also there's like a dozen games you should be buying a wiiu for before tms

Yeah, like the dozen other copies of TMS you should buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Furnaceface posted:

B-b-b-but panties! :byodood:

Stop putting SMT games on Nintendo consoles and handhelds. Im not buying them just for one game. :mad:

The PS2 is dead, pal.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

B-b-b-but panties! :byodood:

Stop putting SMT games on Nintendo consoles and handhelds. Im not buying them just for one game. :mad:

good thing there are a bunch of other great games for wii u and 3ds.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What smt game was made that wasn't on 3ds in the last few years

Like...the smt 2 remake on psp....?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

P4G

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

PSP/V are Persona remake/spinoff machines (plus Devil Summoner 1), everything else has been on 3/DS for the last two gens, I think.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Some people are sensitive about calling the persona games SMT, I don't know the protocol here

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

if you want to be anal there are only about six SMT games*, but who cares, people know what you mean when you say SMT. the only people that really care are SMT diehards insecure about Persona's popularity.

*I, II, if, Nocturne, SJ, IV, Apoc

Motto fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 21, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I have to wonder, how much did slapping the SMT label/title on most Atlus games help with building their franchises in the west? It must have at least helped create some recognizability.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tae posted:

Some people are sensitive about calling the persona games SMT, I don't know the protocol here

ill give those people a swirlie and steal their lunch money

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The SMT title if anything at least gives a unified to refer to the games as that isn't "Atlus games" because then we'd be talking about Etrian Oddyssey as well. A lot of these games contain similar themes and aesthetics though and Persons fits right along with them even if some of the later Persona games are less downtrodden than most other SMT games. Hell, you can loving call Catherine an SMT game, bar the use of demons it is one in all respects and better than most.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Inflammatory posted:

i love that the image on the banner is blatantly ripping off persona 4 art.

The people arranged in a circle on the ground isn't really exclusive to persona 4, I think it shows up in a bunch of other anime

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wont lie, I totally forgot about Devil Survivor 1&2. Mostly because they were bad games. After those and SMT4, what else came out on 3DS that Im missing?

Inflammatory posted:

good thing there are a bunch of other great games for wii u and 3ds.

Assume Im the monster that hates Mario, Zelda and Fire Emblem games.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Motto posted:

if you want to be anal there are only about six SMT games*, but who cares, people know what you mean when you say SMT. the only people that really care are SMT diehards insecure about Persona's popularity.

*I, II, if, Nocturne, SJ, IV, Apoc

Also if you want to be really pedantic: Nine, Giten Megami Tensei, IMAGINE, Devil Summoner, Soul Hackers, Devil Children, and Last Bible all had the Megami Tensei name in there somewhere. And a bunch of Japan-only cell phone games.

As spinoffs go really it's only the Persona, Majin Tensei, DDS, Devil Survivor, and PS2 Devil Summoner games to not have the Megami Tensei name in them anywhere. Except of course the NA versions where they slap the SMT name on everything regardless.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And don't forget the actual original Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei 1 and 2.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Furnaceface posted:

Wont lie, I totally forgot about Devil Survivor 1&2. Mostly because they were bad games. After those and SMT4, what else came out on 3DS that Im missing.

Persona Q, Soul Hackers and the remake of Devil Survivor 2. Atlus-related, the 2 remakes/re-tellings for the first 2 Etrian Odyssey games, along with EO4.

Also, just because you acknowledged your status as a horrible monster, doesn't mean we ain't taking this poo poo outside. :toughguy:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Devil Survivor 2 is insanely badass.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

alcharagia posted:

Devil Survivor 2 is insanely badass.

Devil Survivor 2 is probably the best SMT game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No that's Catherine

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Do you think when Aya Nishitani wrote the Digital Devil Story books, he thought it would grow into all this?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Freak Futanari posted:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Freak Futanari posted:

Jesus CHrist.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

no!!!!!!!!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah persona 4 exists :twisted:

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I liked persona 3 the best, though persona 5 looks awesome and nocturne was excellent.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I couldn't stand Persona 3 when I first played it. It was so 2000's: Welcome, random high school student, to our secret club where we fight monsters by shooting ourselves.

Of course, since I've played it I appreciated the differences in tone from Persona 4. Persona 5 is looking to be just as radical a change and I'm excited.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Baal posted:

No that's Catherine

Catherine has the best story. Actually playing Catherine is a hell I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Catherine is a great bar simulator.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Nocturne is the best what the hell

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nocturne is okay.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kay Kessler posted:

Catherine has the best story. Actually playing Catherine is a hell I wouldn't wish on anyone.

What? Catherine is super frigging fun. It's one of my favorite puzzle games.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kay Kessler posted:

Looks like someone's not living on the EDGE

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
The game itself is pretty fun but a lot of people, me included, found the controls a little finicky. It's frustrating to die because you meant to move in one direction and ended up moving in another.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

HellCopter posted:

I couldn't stand Persona 3 when I first played it. It was so 2000's: Welcome, random high school student, to our secret club where we fight monsters by shooting ourselves.

Of course, since I've played it I appreciated the differences in tone from Persona 4. Persona 5 is looking to be just as radical a change and I'm excited.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. At first appearance its really edgy just for the sake it but after a while you get into the world and everything just clicks together so nicely

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Looks like someone's not living on the EDGE

I said edge out loud in the Catherine voice when I read this

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I preferred the story of the first Devil Survivor game, although the gameplay of the second one was much improved.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Catherine or Katherine?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Catherine or Katherine?

space

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura