Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xenolalia posted:

http://imgur.com/a/8Tapw

If you look at the first few pictures you can see that irithyll is actually far left and close compared to those structures to the right. I am fairly sure you never visit them. DLC perhaps? Cut content?

Yeah, see that makes way more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
How good is pyromancy this time around? Considering trying a full pyromancy playthrough once I finish the story on my first character.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So today I learned that sometimes, enemies don't give a poo poo you have a freshly cast Spook spell and will 180 on me from 20 feet away, even when they would ignore me slow walking towards in armor until I am caressing their asscheecks without the buff.

After some experimenting, it seems this happens if I am two handing my weapon while the spook spell is running. What the gently caress?

I primarily did this little experiment on the lone Darkwraith at the Wall. But even say, the Lothric Knight on the way will develop psychic powers if I'm two handing my weapon, but one handing it I can go full speed and backstab him while the hollows in front of him freak out over seeing me. Careful walking WITHOUT the spook spell, I can still sneak up on them while two handing (Or at the very least, they don't turn to face me from 20 feet away).

Anybody have any ideas why two handing my weapon with the spook buff up makes enemies notice me faster than when I'm not using the spell at all? Or is it basically just Odd Video Games Quirks in action.

PS: God damnit Lothric Knight, give me your gloves. I have duplicates of your everything but still no gloves :argh:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Well, I can't say I was expecting candle heads

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zerilan posted:

How good is pyromancy this time around? Considering trying a full pyromancy playthrough once I finish the story on my first character.

The very first boss is super weak to fire damage and the game breaks in half as soon as you get Great Chaos Fire Orb (which you can obtain pretty dang early if you know what you're doing).

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Has anyone tried a luck build yet with the hollow infusion or Anri's straight sword? On a scale of greatswords to offensive faith miracles, how bad is it?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Yhorm is basically "did you play Demon's Souls?: Boss Edition" huh? Cool.

Also saw a player named Meaty Vagina, way to go FROM word filter

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jade Mage posted:

Has anyone tried a luck build yet with the hollow infusion or Anri's straight sword? On a scale of greatswords to offensive faith miracles, how bad is it?

The Hollow infusion sucks, from all accounts, and Anri's SS at 40 LCK is no better than a +10 Heavy Dark Sword at 40 STR. It's a gimmick build that doesn't do anything unique or special compared to a "normal" build.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Chard posted:

"Knight" is banned but SONIC HITLER got through just fine.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I'm really digging the Cleric Blue Robe with the Fallen Knight Helm right now.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Chard posted:

Only rude name I saw was xxx420AssCancerxxx

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Chard posted:

Alternatively, he's the "Did you do onion man's whole questline? Have a free kill" boss.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I found the SHINING FINGER

I'm not built for pyromancy at all but I'm still using it cuz its way too cool

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Chard posted:

Internet Kraken posted:

"Knight" is banned but SONIC HITLER got through just fine.

word filter doesn't take capital letters into account

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Put down my summon sign as a mound-maker. The host is in an insane free-for-all with two other mad phantoms, which I join. A blue phantom arrives, one of the purples dies and the host is insta-invaded by another purple phantom. This owns. In the early areas just summon as many purples as you can, it's awesome.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I've never a played a Dark Souls/Demon Souls game before. This one seems really cool and I want to try it out, but I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it. What's the best way to try out the series?

The three obvious options are:
1) Buy DS III and get a refund if I don't like it. This is kind of expensive, and the refund time (2 hours of playtime) might not be enough for me to decide if I enjoy it or not.
2) Wait for the summer sale and pick up one of the games. DS II or DS I should be on a pretty steep sale this year, and obviously DS III won't be on sale at all.
3) Borrow Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition from my friend's library.

I'm on PC (Steam) if that makes a difference. I have an XBox controller, which from what I understand is more or less necessary to jump into playing the earlier games. Any advice?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

finger
but hole

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Zerilan posted:

there's probably like a handful of things resistant to fire and everything else either takes full damage from it or gets loving Owned Instantly to death. pyromancy is honestly about as bunk as it was in DS1, though ever since they patched out the exploit to get the shirtless katana man to solo the dancer its not as easy to enter the second or third area with a +9 flame anymore

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

word filter doesn't take capital letters into account

jfc that's amazing

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I think the summoning/invasion/message system is the best PvP element I've ever seen in a single-player game. The messages are so awesome because they give you optional help without being able to be completely specific. The summoning system is great because it is a risk/reward thing being embered. I've also had a lot of fun with Aldrich's faithful just trying to get people wrecked by the Anor Londo archers with the gigantic bows.

That being said if you take PvP seriously or talk about being skilled or other people sucking, lol. 90% of the time the phantoms are just gliding around, or I get hit for half my health from a room away, or someone backstabs me and the whole animation plays out but I take no damage. Balancing weapons/builds doesn't mean a thing when most of the fights are determined by random internet factors.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Chard posted:

it's supposed to be like that, only the gimmick sword takes too long to charge up, like just longer than yhorm's recovery period between attacks, so it got really dicey trying to find time to charge up the weapon and then shoot it and then charge it again between him swinging his one hit kill hatchet around like a crazy person.

oh also your buddy who joins you and everyone is like "he's easy mode he'll solo the boss for you" yeah he died while i was running up to the throne and dicking around in the menu trying to equip the gimmick weapon. i have no idea why everyone was so pumped for him to be in the fight, because he died before i could close back out of the equipment menu.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Vermain posted:

The Hollow infusion sucks, from all accounts, and Anri's SS at 40 LCK is no better than a +10 Heavy Dark Sword at 40 STR. It's a gimmick build that doesn't do anything unique or special compared to a "normal" build.

The main advantage of Anri's Straight Sword is that you have the same 400+ AR straight sword but without relying on a random drop which is why it's the weapon used in speedruns so far. On a casual playthrough that doesn't matter that much, though, and it's not like rear end has a super cool moveset or anything. It's just your standard straight sword.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Can you use Bloodborne sliders for this game?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Theoretically an Anri's buffed with Carthus Rouge would be some good bleed buildup because of the Luck on hand but it seems to have such a miniscule effect that it's not really worth it. Sad to say but the Luck build all around just isn't really worth much.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I hope a future patch fixes auto-summon covenants. Make watchdogs level scale so there are more chances to invade, let darkmoons invade people who invade a lot and/or invade people that are being invaded regardless of blueboy association, make blueboys level scale or something. I had darkmoons on for like two hours today around level 60-70 and got nothing. I hope its bugged and gets fixed. Sheesh

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I hope a future patch fixes auto-summon covenants. Make watchdogs level scale so there are more chances to invade, let darkmoons invade people who invade a lot and/or invade people that are being invaded regardless of blueboy association, make blueboys level scale or something. I had darkmoons on for like two hours today around level 60-70 and got nothing. I hope its bugged and gets fixed. Sheesh

they never did a single thing about it in 2 so don't get your hopes up they'll do something about it this time

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless poster posted:

it's supposed to be like that, only the gimmick sword takes too long to charge up, like just longer than yhorm's recovery period between attacks, so it got really dicey trying to find time to charge up the weapon and then shoot it and then charge it again between him swinging his one hit kill hatchet around like a crazy person.

oh also your buddy who joins you and everyone is like "he's easy mode he'll solo the boss for you" yeah he died while i was running up to the throne and dicking around in the menu trying to equip the gimmick weapon. i have no idea why everyone was so pumped for him to be in the fight, because he died before i could close back out of the equipment menu.

I killed him without the storm ruler because I couldn't figure out how to use it. Turns out the problem was that I was only charging it halfway.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Solumin posted:

I've never a played a Dark Souls/Demon Souls game before. This one seems really cool and I want to try it out, but I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it. What's the best way to try out the series?

The three obvious options are:
1) Buy DS III and get a refund if I don't like it. This is kind of expensive, and the refund time (2 hours of playtime) might not be enough for me to decide if I enjoy it or not.
2) Wait for the summer sale and pick up one of the games. DS II or DS I should be on a pretty steep sale this year, and obviously DS III won't be on sale at all.
3) Borrow Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition from my friend's library.

I'm on PC (Steam) if that makes a difference. I have an XBox controller, which from what I understand is more or less necessary to jump into playing the earlier games. Any advice?

I am a filthy casual at these games, and I say try out DS3. Knight is a solid starting class which you can branch out into a lot of different things later, while having the luxury of starting with solid armor and one of the nicer normal shields. You can get access to entry level spell casting faster than you can get access to the Knight equipment. Even being able to cast the worst healing spell is useful for PvE and only needs 10 faith, and you can buy it as soon as you beat the first boss.

Pyromancer is also a nice start because you don't have to wait a short ways in for tossing fireballs, plus Pyromancy starts off stronger and needs less overall investment (and will let you cast utility spells from sorcery and miracles on the side) while Sorcery and offensive Miracles need a shitload more investment.

I'm sure people better at this game have better advice, but the early game at least is relatively smooth for this sort of game if you don't go all "I'm playing Deprived as my very first character ever!".

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Level out of the 60s ie constant Aldrich and you're quite hosed if you want to get Aldrich poo poo so I'm leaving my PS4 on overnight, fuckit. Knight-level droprates on those.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Luceid posted:

those guys own because they spam the jankiest looking divekick you'll find outside of a fighting game, as if they were actually in a fighting game. hell yea

I had two coop runs where either me or the other dude would get grabbed, but the other one of us would ALSO be locked into the animation and take damage. And we weren't standing shoulder to shoulder, either. That poo poo is broke.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zerilan posted:

:iia:

Just remember that you can't treat it like DS1 or 2. You really do have to level Int and Faith to be a real pyromancer this time. The softcap is whenever the sum of your Int and Faith is 60 (so probably 30/30), which incidentally puts you in a decent position to use dark magic, too. Start out using a Raw, Fire, or Deep weapon, eventually buff a Raw weapon with Carthus Flame Arc, and then once you get the Giant's Coal you can make a Chaos weapon and own everything that doesn't resist fire. And if it does, just use dark pyromancies.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I finished the game a few days ago, but I haven't really had a chance to talk about it yet:

The final boss is really cool.

I liked how the penultimate boss was actually lucid and fighting you for reasons other than "because I am a mindless/insane monster now" it made for a pretty cool change of pace after spending most of the game doing just that.

I've been spending the last little while trying to figure out what locations link to DS1, Anor Londo is Anor Londo obviously, I think someone said Farron Keep was Darkroot Garden? I think the first part of the undead settlement was supposed to be built on the remains of the old Anor Londo wall since thats where the weird gargoyles dropped you off in the first game. The archives are definitely linked to Seathe somehow but I'm not sure if its actually the same place or if its just some place his followers appropriated after the fact.

There are way to many ways to gently caress up questlines in this game, some of it just feels flat-out broken like the Sigeward thing. Hopefully that gets patched later.

NAMELESS KING! :argh: Finally beat that motherfucker after like 20 embers and 24 hours.

So did Ornstein actually make it all the way to archdragon peak? I thought you fight him as the old dragonslayer in DSII. Did the king just nab his armor after the fact and bring it home with him?

So I stabbed Anri and ate some fire and now I guess I'm supposed to be God? Have I got that about right? Like is there a difference between what happened there and the fire keeper ending(s)?

Before I head off to NG+, does the haindmaid retain her entire stock between playthroughs? Or do I have to get all the ash/kill all the bosses again to get that stuff to unlock?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Oh man, Nameless King is an awesome bossfight. I love how his fighting style is reminiscent enough of Ornstein's that it's a nice homage to a cool boss fight without just shoving him in there for no reason, while still being a rad challenge. It came pretty tight down to the wire but he did one of his huge attacks and so I charged my R2 once I was out of the radius and it stunned him and BAM, visceral attack and he died.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Darkmoon/Blue Sentinel is so weird. I had one night where I was getting summoned at SL 64 like every five minutes for two hours and had a blast, and then another when I got summoned twice in a three hour period. And some people can get summoned as a Watchdog but never as a Blue Sentinel. They're just remarkably weird and inconsistent.

I'm parking my current character at SL 65 and hanging out in the Irithryll area to try to farm up the last 14 Proofs I need to get Darkmoon Blade and then I'll just count myself ridiculously lucky if I get a Darkmoon summon again. Probably in the endgame area around the mid-70s, but that'll be the last time I could imagine anyone wearing the Way of Blue covenant. This game needs a Blue Eye Orb.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Blue babies is stupid because if someone doesn't want to get invaded they just dont ember. I didn't mind ds2s invade where un-humanitied guys could get invaded. That would encourage more people to wear blue baby too :yum:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Blue babies is stupid because if someone doesn't want to get invaded they just dont ember. I didn't mind ds2s invade where un-humanitied guys could get invaded. That would encourage more people to wear blue baby too :yum:

There are two places, as far as I can tell, where you can probably get summoned as a Blue Sentinel/Darkmoon, and they're the places where players are probably going to Ember up to summon help and also there's either an active PvP hotspot with people spamming their Red Eye Orbs, an area-specific invasion covenant, or both.

Basically, if you're one of the lucky ones (like me) who can sometimes get summoned as a blue, try to get all your Proofs in the Crucifixion Woods or Irithyll. If you don't get 'em there you're never going to, probably.

Maybe Way of Blue would work if you could wear it and another covenant, so long as your other covenant isn't an invasion-focused one, maybe. Or if it was also a built-in feature in Blue Sentinels and Blades of the Darkmoon, so they can help each other, too, maybe. I really love the idea of the "if I get invaded, please help me" covenant, but it just doesn't really work in practice.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

finally had a moment where a host summoned me as a Mound-maker to fight a Finger of Rosaria AND a Sunbro. we were fighting in Giant Crab swamp when the host decides to use a giant seed. poo poo starts getting really crazy when a drat Watchdog of Farron arrives, followed by what I'm pretty goddamn sure was a Blue Sentinel.

I died from the crab.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
i don't imagine from will fix anything but my kokoro wish is the return of the blue eye orb and some kind of anti-aldritch territorial thing but that would involve doing something to fix the problem that isnt tweaking a number so it ain't happening

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Luceid posted:

i don't imagine from will fix anything but my kokoro wish is the return of the blue eye orb and some kind of anti-aldritch territorial thing but that would involve doing something to fix the problem that isnt tweaking a number so it ain't happening

Would've been cool if being invaded by an Aldrich Faithful automatically summoned a Blade of the Darkmoon, regardless of whether you're wearing Way of Blue. It'd be like an ongoing turf war in AL. It would also help differentiate Darkmoon from Blue Sentinels, though I guess that doesn't really matter and one is just the cooler version of the other.

Maybe they'll add a Blue Eye Orb in DLC? Maybe? :unsmith: I mean, there's not really a sin mechanic or anything, so I don't know what it would work on. Maybe it'd let you invade anyone who's currently repping Rosaria's Fingers or Aldrich Faithful no matter what area you're in. Hunt down the hunters before they can strike again, that kinda thing.

Speaking of Aldrich Faithful, I do sorta love that they're in a similar position as Gravelords in DS1: to progress in the story, you gotta kill your covenant's god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

After hearing about the issues Bluecops were having I tried to do my part and wore way of blue every time I was embered. I don't particularly mind getting invaded but I figured I could at least give a few people an opportunity. Probably helped about 6-7 blues get their ears across the course of the game.