Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh yeah, go full Bobobo-bo-bobobo on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Serious Frolicking posted:

Azami isn't supposed to be stupid, no. Just comically evil. But then, Azami is kind of limited in how whatever sinister plan he has must involve a trade school curriculum and be defeatable by a chef in training.

Though, I would have preferred if the manga had stuck to food jerks and relatively low stakes rather than food hitler and the destruction of japan(ese cuisine). At this rate it is only a matter of time until a man made of bread shows up.

Years from now the Gingerbread Man arc of SnS will be regarded as one of the high-points of Japanese culture :allears:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Azami isn't supposed to be stupid, no. Just comically evil. But then, Azami is kind of limited in how whatever sinister plan he has must involve a trade school curriculum and be defeatable by a chef in training.

Though, I would have preferred if the manga had stuck to food jerks and relatively low stakes rather than food hitler and the destruction of japan(ese cuisine). At this rate it is only a matter of time until a man made of bread shows up.

Yeah now that you mention it this is too high-stakes for a manga that's like, 100+ chapters in. What are they gonna do when the cast is in their second and third years?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They're going to save the cuisine of the continent and then the world.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Shokugekis in Space. Alice will be the new main character.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

blizzardvizard posted:

Yeah now that you mention it this is too high-stakes for a manga that's like, 100+ chapters in. What are they gonna do when the cast is in their second and third years?

They'll have to fight the ancient egyptian god-cooks.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

They'll have to fight the ancient egyptian god-cooks.

Maybe we'll eventually have...cooking on motorcycles.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
MULTI-TRACK COOKING!!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

"Alright, head chef of the Mitamura family restaurant: I challenge you to a duel! If you cannot defeat my minion in battle, you must close your restaurant!"

"Why would I agree to that?"

"uh"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

International and multinational corporate competition presumably.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

"Alright, head chef of the Mitamura family restaurant: I challenge you to a duel! If you cannot defeat my minion in battle, you must close your restaurant!"

"uh"

"Because if you don't I'll simply buy everything out from under you."

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
He's not infinity rich though, he can't subsidize every 5 star restaurant so they can keep afloat when only 1% of the population can eat there. The plan just doesn't make sense at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Uh, some high schoolers voted for Azami. That means he controls all the money in the world now.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Eej posted:

He's not infinity rich though, he can't subsidize every 5 star restaurant so they can keep afloat when only 1% of the population can eat there. The plan just doesn't make sense at all.

It's implied he has a ton of international backing for his plan.

Basically, he is infinitely rich as far as the story is concerned.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Exactly why anyone would give him money is unclear. He graduated with honors from a trade school and then married into money. Azami has no actual accomplishments.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Where Azami gets his money and backing from doesn't matter. The long term feasibility of his plans doesn't matter. What matters is that he's loving things up for the school right now, and what are Souma and Megumi and Alice and all the other fun characters going to do about it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This plot would make 100% more sense if it was dojos instead of restaurants and martial arts instead of cooking

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
So Toriko

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

This plot would make 100% more sense if it was dojos instead of restaurants and martial arts instead of cooking

Yeah, but I wouldn't like it as much.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I would like it a lot more if Azami was only planning to gently caress up that one school and his daughter. Every time they increase the scope of his plans it just gets dumber. I mean, Souma isn't even remotely heroic. Why put him up against a serious villain?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

I would like it a lot more if Azami was only planning to gently caress up that one school and his daughter. Every time they increase the scope of his plans it just gets dumber. I mean, Souma isn't even remotely heroic. Why put him up against a serious villain?

:crossarms:

We are talking about Food Hitler right?

deadicons
Sep 9, 2011
To all the people saying that Azami's plan is basically gently caress the poor, I don't think it is (at least not completely). I have two reason for this. First Eizan made a lot of money advising smaller restaurants, I don't think that he would be up for a plan that would mess with his current business model. The second reason is that his introduction to the series is him barging in to his daughter's restaurant and insulting most of the clientele who were all extremely wealthy and influential people. Also we haven't seen Azami himself look down on someone because of where they come from or how much money they had, but that might just be because he looks down on every one he meets no exceptions.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
And Rindou likes stall food which Azami explicitly wants to wipe from the face of the earth. So what?

deadicons
Sep 9, 2011
When did he say that?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

deadicons posted:

When did he say that?

He hates casual dining and low quality food. What do you think stall food is?

I guess explicitly was the wrong word to use.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rindou doesn't give a poo poo and is probably just a part of central because she thought a change in power at Tootsuki would be interesting. I think she said something along those lines.

deadicons
Sep 9, 2011
I think he hates food that he thinks is low quality. That is not the same as casual dining. We haven't seen anything made by Azami himself, and the closest thing we have seen is Erina. I could be wrong but when I look at Azami and all he has done I think he is more focused on how closely peoples taste align with his own rather than straight status or wealth. It is kind of hard to tell because we were told at the beginning of the series that most of the students are from the top 1% so it is kind of hard to point out him interacting with anyone not from the higher reaches of society, who aren't against him for other reasons.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well kinda. Azami's a huge goddamn rear end in a top hat who hates all food that isn't cooked by those who he considers elite. And I doubt most places really meet his standards.

I don't think he really bases "elite" off of class status though. It's kinda vague because Azami is a weird idiot and we haven't really gotten that much of a look into how thinks other than that his whole plan is basically revenge against the culinary world at large for not recognising Soma's dad or something.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
There's also the fact he's an out of his gourd child abuser who considers Soma's Dad leaving the school and running a shopping strip restaurant (And maybe even having a wife) to be some sort of terrible wronging of God.

The thing isn't that he's got a solid plan, it's that he has the means to act on his utterly insane plan that would cause untold damage in the name of his ego.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 17, 2016

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What's the administrations stance on food trucks.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

His goal is likely in actuality to destroy the school rather than all of japan. Why? because sempai was thrown out for some reason or other and he lost his gourd over it. So it really doesn't matter if his stated plan is outright insane and will fail, so long as it helps his real plan succeed.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Angry Grimace posted:

"uh"

Hm, wasn't there something during that training camp arc where alumni have to accept Shokugekis? Or did french cook guy just "have to accept" pigtailed girl's duel request because he was at a school-sponsored event?

If alumni have to accept then maybe Food Hitler can destroy all restaurants owned by alumni.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Skychrono posted:

Hm, wasn't there something during that training camp arc where alumni have to accept Shokugekis? Or did french cook guy just "have to accept" pigtailed girl's duel request because he was at a school-sponsored event?

If alumni have to accept then maybe Food Hitler can destroy all restaurants owned by alumni.

I don't think there was any kind of rule, he was goaded into that Shokugeki by DIO-sempai.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Neo_Crimson posted:

I don't think there was any kind of rule, he was goaded into that Shokugeki by DIO-sempai.

DIO corrupts all. In addition, it was unofficial. Hell, weren't all the Cool Alumni guys and gals afraid that Prof. Chapelle was going to find out and punish them every time Hinako was about to let it slip?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
We do actually know a bit about Azami's beliefs. That is because he indoctrinated Erina in them, and up until he showed up she was constantly spouting his weird elitist bullshit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If you find yourself craving more crazy reactions to food, I think I found something to scratch that itch while waiting for more Shokugeki.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tgHR1wNMQ4

It gets pretty crazy, like eating sushi so good they imagine they're surfing on a sushi ocean.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Allarion posted:

I would love to see this actually.

I feel like the next Arc should just start with THE FAST FOOD MOGULS erupting from their prison beneath the school and owning Azami. Followed by ゴゴゴゴゴ overlayed over a 4 page spread of buff as hell Fast Food mascots.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

OneDeadman posted:

I feel like the next Arc should just start with THE FAST FOOD MOGULS erupting from their prison beneath the school and owning Azami. Followed by ゴゴゴゴゴ overlayed over a 4 page spread of buff as hell Fast Food mascots.

Ronaldo WcDonald, Za Coronel, Missus Doughnut, and I can't think of a fourth one to round it out

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Ronaldo WcDonald, Za Coronel, Missus Doughnut, and I can't think of a fourth one to round it out

Burger-sama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Xelkelvos posted:

Missus Doughnut

What chain/franchise is that for?