Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

homeless poster posted:

it's supposed to be like that, only the gimmick sword takes too long to charge up, like just longer than yhorm's recovery period between attacks, so it got really dicey trying to find time to charge up the weapon and then shoot it and then charge it again between him swinging his one hit kill hatchet around like a crazy person.

oh also your buddy who joins you and everyone is like "he's easy mode he'll solo the boss for you" yeah he died while i was running up to the throne and dicking around in the menu trying to equip the gimmick weapon. i have no idea why everyone was so pumped for him to be in the fight, because he died before i could close back out of the equipment menu.

If you get Yhorm's attention as you go by, Siegward will rock Yhorm's poo poo, stunning him, giving you time to equip the weapon and it's a snooze fest from there.

Siegward makes the fight a complete joke. All it takes is giving him enough breathing room to swing once. And Yhorm is pitifully easy to dodge soooo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm actually having a ton of fun invading Irithyll as a Mound maker just so I can get hosts to unlock Anri's good end. I'm going to save my waifu across multiple worlds whether the host wanted it or not.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Is there a specific trigger for Anri to show up at Firelink? Deacons and Legion down but no sign of them.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Killed nameless king on what wasn't supposed to be a serious attempt. I just wanted to test how much the carthus bloodring would help. Answer: either an incredible amount, or its an equally incredible good luck talisman.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I routinely forget to use resins in boss fights. You'd think Bloodborne would've broken me of that habit, but no. I've got a pile of resins in my inventory and there's like one boss fight per run where I go "oh yeah, I'd kill this guy a lot faster with Gold Pine Resin."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gologle posted:

I'm actually having a ton of fun invading Irithyll as a Mound maker just so I can get hosts to unlock Anri's good end. I'm going to save my waifu across multiple worlds whether the host wanted it or not.

:mad:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

gently caress, the King of The Sky is the worst boss in the game and I have to do him and his lovely awful useless camera every single time I want to attempt Nameless King. :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

gently caress, the King of The Sky is the worst boss in the game and I have to do him and his lovely awful useless camera every single time I want to attempt Nameless King. :negative:

Are you locking on? If so, don't do that. Never lock on against dragons, in any Souls game, ever.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I was looking out over the land from Vordt's bonfire and I saw a structure I don't think you go to in the game (so far). If you're staring out where you're supposed to raise the banner, there is a large structure on your left, nearer you, (roughly 9 o'clock or so), sort of to the left of the abandoned church with the giant on it. I can trace every other building except that one.

An old out of date game map calls that "Faraam's Mausoleum" but it does not seem like it's in the right spot for the catacombs, and that same map has Faraam's "Citadel" on the way other side (aka Farron's Keep I believe). I wonder if it's cut content, a DLC spot, or just somethin' pretty to look at.

Bad picture but you can see for yourself:

edit: better pic -

edit: On closer inspection, i think it actually is the Catacombs. It's just much farther from where I thought it would be, but I guess you cross under the Pilgrim's Bridge. That drat swamp has me all turned around.

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 22, 2016

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Ugh, I get the wink wink with the archers and the narrow walkways, but they aren't any fun. Is it viable just to run past them? They were fun in the first one when I played BK halberd and a giant gently caress-off shield, but my current build doesn't really do that. If I could summon help without getting the poo poo kicked out of my by the defending covenant it would be okay, but I am apparently trash in PVP.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

Are you locking on? If so, don't do that. Never lock on against dragons, in any Souls game, ever.

The fight is still awful even if I don't lock on, because his head moves around so much and the featureless void makes depth perception hard enough that I whiff about a quarter of my swings even when he brings his head down.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

is there a good spear in this game for pve and pvp? I want something nice for my pyromancer to infuse with chaos.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Aright considering that I missed Anri at FIrelink, is the quest totally boned?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FirstPersonShitter posted:

is there a good spear in this game for pve and pvp? I want something nice for my pyromancer to infuse with chaos.

Partizan is good because it's a spear with sweeping R2s both one- and two-handed.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Samfucius posted:

Ugh, I get the wink wink with the archers and the narrow walkways, but they aren't any fun. Is it viable just to run past them? They were fun in the first one when I played BK halberd and a giant gently caress-off shield, but my current build doesn't really do that. If I could summon help without getting the poo poo kicked out of my by the defending covenant it would be okay, but I am apparently trash in PVP.

You have no idea how much I want to get some silver knight armor, build specifically for that bow and just cosplay as an extra knight and spend all my time up there invading people like an rear end in a top hat.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

FirstPersonShitter posted:

the lucerne supremacy is back from demon's souls with a vengeance

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm SL52 with a +5 greatsword, +5 exec sword, and +5 dark sword, just beat Irithyll boss "P".

I have no idea what I should do with my weapons. I have 20 STR, 15 DEX, 21 VIT/END, 27 VIG, low others. I want to use STR weapons, but I feel like I need to level up VIT/END/VIG a bit more still, like 3 points more in each ... which is a lot of SLs to farm. What should I do with my weapons in the meantime? I mean, it feels like infusing raw may give a better bonus than infusing heavy or refined? Then I could do like, my final ~18 points in STR, and infuse to heavy later? Or should I put an element on something? I only have enough large titanite to take one of them to +6, but one more shard gives me enough to make both +6. Am I under-soul-leveled for where I am?

Random tips welcome.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Harrow posted:

You know, I tried this, and it was disastrous. YMMV and all that, but I went from reliably getting past that part of the fight to getting wrecked if I fought without lock on. I spent the whole time trying to move the right stick around to keep up with him, and that meant I couldn't dodge. If he did his flying spell attack I literally couldn't track him well enough to see when to dodge. Is there some sort of camera or analog sensitivity setting I'm missing?

By contrast, if I locked on (to dudebro, not the dragon), and stayed right by the neck area all I had to do was dodge slam attack, hit, dodge fire, hit, repeat. Staying in the right spot meant I rarely had to deal with the camera whipping around when he takes off and it was easy as pie.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Samfucius posted:

They're really easy to run past, in fact, and if you just book it there are also several alcoves where you can catch your breath / evaluate the next step / gank an rear end in a top hat.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nameless King keeps killing me in the first 30 loving seconds of his fight. God. loving. Dammit.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Gologle posted:

loving owns, lmao

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

the lucerne supremacy is back from demon's souls with a vengeance

Yep, Lucerne owns again and I'm very glad about it.

pmchem posted:

I'm SL52 with a +5 greatsword, +5 exec sword, and +5 dark sword, just beat Irithyll boss "P".

I have no idea what I should do with my weapons. I have 20 STR, 15 DEX, 21 VIT/END, 27 VIG, low others. I want to use STR weapons, but I feel like I need to level up VIT/END/VIG a bit more still, like 3 points more in each ... which is a lot of SLs to farm. What should I do with my weapons in the meantime? I mean, it feels like infusing raw may give a better bonus than infusing heavy or refined? Then I could do like, my final ~18 points in STR, and infuse to heavy later? Or should I put an element on something? I only have enough large titanite to take one of them to +6, but one more shard gives me enough to make both +6. Am I under-soul-leveled for where I am?

Random tips welcome.

At 20 Strength, you'll probably do better with Heavy than Raw on those three listed weapons.

Don't worry about Vitality if you're not fat-rolling and are happy with what you're currently equipped with. If you're staying under 70%, you're doing fine. And 3 more points in Vigor is a pretty small return this time--it grows very quickly up to 27, then more slowly from 27-50, then drat near stops. Going from 27 to 30 won't make a big difference so don't feel like you have to farm that out.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Samfucius posted:

They are pretty easy to run past, I assure you. Take the far ramp, going around the right side away from the archer, and then (to be safer) roll off onto the platform that had the Easterner's Ashes. Then go up the stairs and you're now on top. Run behind the archers on top until you get to a lower platform that has an archer and a guy with a shield. Run/roll behind them and they won't follow.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Harrow posted:

:iia:

Just remember that you can't treat it like DS1 or 2. You really do have to level Int and Faith to be a real pyromancer this time. The softcap is whenever the sum of your Int and Faith is 60 (so probably 30/30), which incidentally puts you in a decent position to use dark magic, too. Start out using a Raw, Fire, or Deep weapon, eventually buff a Raw weapon with Carthus Flame Arc, and then once you get the Giant's Coal you can make a Chaos weapon and own everything that doesn't resist fire. And if it does, just use dark pyromancies.

So raise them both somewhat equally, or is one or the other a lot easier to focus on first? (Although about how much attunement is really needed in early-mid game?) Haven't played a full caster in a souls game since DeS.

Also on my current str/dex character, Pontiff is wrecking the poo poo out of me so badly nonstop.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 22, 2016

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Samfucius posted:

You can run past the first one on the right to reach the one above him and from then on out it's 1vs1 the whole way. Plus these guys have the exact same attack strings from DS1 and can be effortlessly parried. It almost seems quaint to face an enemy that doesn't have multiple 6+ hit attack strings that can take you from full health to dead in a second.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i was looking at the fextralife guide for the gestures achievement because i'm coming up on the end of the game and i was curious how many i managed to find on my own up to this point, and while i found quite a few, there's several that i saw that i can think of no way that you would find legitimately on your own, outside of just having extraordinary dumb luck, or just purchasing a guide. for the fancy bow, you have to be embered in farron's before you kill AW, get invaded by some NPC and kill her, then zip back to rosaria and give her a tongue (?) then go back to farron's and summon the NPC from a friendly summon sign and get the gesture? so you basically have to do at least 90% of the chapel of the deep, then stop and go back to farron's in ember mode, find what is likely an unremarkable invader (and possibly not even something you'd be looking for, give the pvp activity in the area) then go back to cood and burn a covenant reward item, and then go back to farron's one more time and look for a regular summon sign for the same NPC invader that you just killed. all without killing AW by accident because you're just exploring around. oh also, this would basically prevent you from doing sirris quest line in the same play through, because the safest way to complete her poo poo is to play all the way through to irithyll without ever interacting with the rosaria covenant at all, and by spending a tongue at rosaria as part of getting this gesture, you permanently piss sirris off.

like seriously how the gently caress was anyone supposed to find that out by experimentation / trial & error?

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
How on earth do I get the stubborn Darkmoon chick to show up again so I can receive the gesture? She appeared once, told me we have no reason to talk then disappeared and I cant get her back. I beat Farron keep, went and got the bow and I have not joined the fingers. She's started to piss me off :colbert:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zerilan posted:

So raise them both somewhat equally, or is one or the other a lot easier to focus on first? (Although about how much attunement is really needed in early-mid game?) Haven't played a full caster in a souls game since DeS.

Scaling-wise, it really doesn't matter if you raise them equally or not. I'd say Intelligence is more important for spell requirements since the good spells have higher Intelligence than Faith requirements (if they have requirements at all--Great Chaos Fire Orb doesn't and it's incredible).

As for Attunement, the important breakpoints are 14 (2 slots), 18 (3 slots), 24 (4 slots), and 30 (5 slots). You could probably stop at either 14 or 18 in the early and mid-game--the best spells in that range are one-slot spells and you don't need much more than Fire Orb to own poo poo, honestly--and 24 is probably plenty for endgame.

Also, don't worry about Dexterity. It has a large effect on spell casting speed, but wearing the Sage's Ring at base Dexterity is basically equivalent to max casting speed.

One other note about rings: all the magic in Dark Souls III relies pretty heavily on damage-boosting rings. They stack and you should wear them all. For pyromancy, you're going to want the Great Swamp Ring (pyromancer starts with it), the Witch's Ring, and the Fire Clutch Ring (switch to Dark Clutch Ring if you're fighting something resistant to fire and using dark pyromancies). They're a massive damage bonus.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

How on earth do I get the stubborn Darkmoon chick to show up again so I can receive the gesture? She appeared once, told me we have no reason to talk then disappeared and I cant get her back. I beat Farron keep, went and got the bow and I have not joined the fingers. She's started to piss me off :colbert:

find the Watchdog covenant--there are some ashes near it that you need to turn in to make her reappear.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

homeless poster posted:

i was looking at the fextralife guide for the gestures achievement because i'm coming up on the end of the game and i was curious how many i managed to find on my own up to this point, and while i found quite a few, there's several that i saw that i can think of no way that you would find legitimately on your own, outside of just having extraordinary dumb luck, or just purchasing a guide. for the fancy bow, you have to be embered in farron's before you kill AW, get invaded by some NPC and kill her, then zip back to rosaria and give her a tongue (?) then go back to farron's and summon the NPC from a friendly summon sign and get the gesture? so you basically have to do at least 90% of the chapel of the deep, then stop and go back to farron's in ember mode, find what is likely an unremarkable invader (and possibly not even something you'd be looking for, give the pvp activity in the area) then go back to cood and burn a covenant reward item, and then go back to farron's one more time and look for a regular summon sign for the same NPC invader that you just killed. all without killing AW by accident because you're just exploring around. oh also, this would basically prevent you from doing sirris quest line in the same play through, because the safest way to complete her poo poo is to play all the way through to irithyll without ever interacting with the rosaria covenant at all, and by spending a tongue at rosaria as part of getting this gesture, you permanently piss sirris off.

like seriously how the gently caress was anyone supposed to find that out by experimentation / trial & error?

Well Heysel is actually in the Road of Sacrifices swamp, so you're fairly likely to encounter her before going to the cathedral at all (I did). It's not completely unreasonable but I still missed that gesture because I don't summon at all for bosses, let alone NPCs.

E: I missed a ton of gestures because I had no idea you'd get them from summons.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Is there an advantage to sticking your head in wax besides just being a good time in general?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

ultrachrist posted:

Alternatively, he's the "Did you do onion man's whole questline? Have a free kill" boss.

The onion died while I was getting the Storm Ruler when I fought Yhorm with him.

Grem posted:

Is there an advantage to sticking your head in wax besides just being a good time in general?

You don't get spookytouched.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

The onion died while I was getting the Storm Ruler when I fought Yhorm with him.

Siegward basically soloed the boss for me.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The phantoms I'm summoning to help me with Dancer immediately after Vordt are all horrified to discover that since they didn't put 20 points into VIT immediately like I did that Dancer oneshots them :allears:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So I'm trying to go for a "bookworm"-y type of character on my Pyromancer, but I just got the Cartoon Mallet (Great Wooden Hammer) and I think it'd be hilarious to use it. It only takes 18 STR to one-hand, but it's hilariously slow. Assuming it's even possible to make this work, what would I infuse it with? :haw:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Harrow posted:

Scaling-wise, it really doesn't matter if you raise them equally or not. I'd say Intelligence is more important for spell requirements since the good spells have higher Intelligence than Faith requirements (if they have requirements at all--Great Chaos Fire Orb doesn't and it's incredible).

As for Attunement, the important breakpoints are 14 (2 slots), 18 (3 slots), 24 (4 slots), and 30 (5 slots). You could probably stop at either 14 or 18 in the early and mid-game--the best spells in that range are one-slot spells and you don't need much more than Fire Orb to own poo poo, honestly--and 24 is probably plenty for endgame.

Also, don't worry about Dexterity. It has a large effect on spell casting speed, but wearing the Sage's Ring at base Dexterity is basically equivalent to max casting speed.

One other note about rings: all the magic in Dark Souls III relies pretty heavily on damage-boosting rings. They stack and you should wear them all. For pyromancy, you're going to want the Great Swamp Ring (pyromancer starts with it), the Witch's Ring, and the Fire Clutch Ring (switch to Dark Clutch Ring if you're fighting something resistant to fire and using dark pyromancies). They're a massive damage bonus.

Vit needed at all or do I just stay in caster robes forever?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Vit is necessary for fashion souls.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Vit needed at all or do I just stay in caster robes forever?

Get enough Vitality to wield a weapon you like and wear the armor/clothes you like while staying under 70% and you're good. Probably 15ish is going to be plenty unless you want to use a heavy weapon or carry multiple weapons or something--in that case going to 20 might help (that's what my Str/Dex dude has and he's doing fine, even without Havel's Ring).

The under-30% roll is pretty neat--you get this kind of speed-boost halfway through and feel like you're launching forward--but weirdly it's not that amazing in a practical sense except for closing a gap for a rolling attack. As long as you're at 69.9% or lower you'll be totally fine.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Grem posted:

The creepy blue hands can't hurt you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Harrow posted:

This is a helpful post, thanks. So with Pyromancy do you have to keep an flame in one hand like you would a weapon? So do you just want to get enough STR to wield a one-hander, and roll for defense?

And then you just need a combination of 60 total betwen INT/FTH, so those should be the very first stats you max, besides levelling a few in Vigor and Attunement I guess?