Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cathedral of the deep is an amazing anor londo remix and farron keep is my favorite blighttown yet. does this game get even better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tequila Sunrise posted:

This is a helpful post, thanks. So with Pyromancy do you have to keep an flame in one hand like you would a weapon? So do you just want to get enough STR to wield a one-hander, and roll for defense?

And then you just need a combination of 60 total betwen INT/FTH, so those should be the very first stats you max, besides levelling a few in Vigor and Attunement I guess?

Really, magic and heavy armor/weapons aren't incompatible in a Souls game. Rolling for defense is my preferred way to play for sure, but you could just as easily pump up the Vitality, strap on some heavy armor and a shield, and be a pyrotank. Nothing really stopping that. Same for using a heavier weapon. Something like the Partizan or Lucerne would be pretty fun as a pyromancer. Or the Astora Greatsword--that thing's scaling is insane when you infuse it with Chaos, it's A/A with Int/Faith.

You do need to have the Pyromancy Flame equipped like a weapon to cast spells. You can switch back and forth of course. Whether you want it in your right or left hand is going to be dependent on whether you feel like you want a weapon or a shield out while casting, but you'll find what you're most comfortable with by experimenting.

Real hurthling! posted:

cathedral of the deep is an amazing anor londo remix and farron keep is my favorite blighttown yet. does this game get even better?

Yes. A couple areas after Farron Keep is my favorite.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Harrow posted:

Get enough Vitality to wield a weapon you like and wear the armor/clothes you like while staying under 70% and you're good. Probably 15ish is going to be plenty unless you want to use a heavy weapon or carry multiple weapons or something--in that case going to 20 might help (that's what my Str/Dex dude has and he's doing fine, even without Havel's Ring).

The under-30% roll is pretty neat--you get this kind of speed-boost halfway through and feel like you're launching forward--but weirdly it's not that amazing in a practical sense except for closing a gap for a rolling attack. As long as you're at 69.9% or lower you'll be totally fine.

Thanks. For endurance, guessing like 15-20ish still for most of the game so I don't have issues blocking/rolling?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Giant Isopod posted:

You know, I tried this, and it was disastrous. YMMV and all that, but I went from reliably getting past that part of the fight to getting wrecked if I fought without lock on. I spent the whole time trying to move the right stick around to keep up with him, and that meant I couldn't dodge. If he did his flying spell attack I literally couldn't track him well enough to see when to dodge. Is there some sort of camera or analog sensitivity setting I'm missing?

By contrast, if I locked on (to dudebro, not the dragon), and stayed right by the neck area all I had to do was dodge slam attack, hit, dodge fire, hit, repeat. Staying in the right spot meant I rarely had to deal with the camera whipping around when he takes off and it was easy as pie.

For what it's worth, the SL1 all bosses video I watched a little bit ago has him locking on for almost the entirety of the Storm phase. You can probably get away with it if you're playing with KB+M, but my time spent with controller has taught me that rotating the camera AND sprinting is a fool's errand.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Thanks. For endurance, guessing like 15-20ish still for most of the game so I don't have issues blocking/rolling?

Yeah, that should be fine. More than 20ish is necessary if you want to use a heavy weapon (I learned this pretty quickly when I started greatswording and realized I could only swing twice before I was pretty much out), but if you're using lighter/faster weapons you won't need it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I think this Host legit accidentally started a fight club. I don't understand his logic.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Lotish posted:

find the Watchdog covenant--there are some ashes near it that you need to turn in to make her reappear.

Care to be more specific. I'm at the covenant now and took a wander upstairs to kick some asses but haven't found any ashes.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Real hurthling! posted:

It does!! Don't let the one kinda sucky (but short/optional) area coming up discourage you ;)

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that should be fine. More than 20ish is necessary if you want to use a heavy weapon (I learned this pretty quickly when I started greatswording and realized I could only swing twice before I was pretty much out), but if you're using lighter/faster weapons you won't need it.

Know offhand which straight/thrust/curved swords (if any) have A/A (or decently in the B/B range) int/faith scaling with chaos gem?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vermain posted:

For what it's worth, the SL1 all bosses video I watched a little bit ago has him locking on for almost the entirety of the Storm phase. You can probably get away with it if you're playing with KB+M, but my time spent with controller has taught me that rotating the camera AND sprinting is a fool's errand.

You can parry the Champ??? :psypop:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

So I stabbed Anri and ate some fire and now I guess I'm supposed to be God? Have I got that about right? Like is there a difference between what happened there and the fire keeper ending(s)?

Basically. All the gods in Dark Souls are just people with super powerful souls, and you hijacked the first flame to become the Dark version of Gwyn. So, Manus from the first game, but more successful. As for the other endings: one you attempt to link the fire and appear to totally fail at it; another you let the fire die out to make way for the next cycle of gods and flames; and the other is basically that second one except you bully the firekeeper before the first flame dies, then hijack the embers because you wanna be a huge poo poo for no reason and From Software understands this.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Before I head off to NG+, does the haindmaid retain her entire stock between playthroughs? Or do I have to get all the ash/kill all the bosses again to get that stuff to unlock?

The ashes won't transfer to my understand, so you'll have to reacquire them in NG+.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 22, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Know offhand which straight/thrust/curved swords (if any) have A/A int/faith scaling with chaos gem?

Most are probably going to top out at B/B, I think. The Estoc is a standout when it comes to Chaos infusion. It's B/B and has a pretty much perfect moveset. If you want a thrusting sword it's basically perfect.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
woaaahh please tell me that yhorm doesn't really have like 50 billion health. I'm not playing Destiny, here :mad:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

For what it's worth I locked on for the entire fight because I did it with my pyro and free-aiming is even worse.

Also, I wish From would at least be consistent on what enemies can get hit while they're knocked down.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Zerilan posted:

Know offhand which straight/thrust/curved swords (if any) have A/A (or decently in the B/B range) int/faith scaling with chaos gem?

Lothric Knight Sword is B/B

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

woaaahh please tell me that yhorm doesn't really have like 50 billion health. I'm not playing Destiny, here :mad:

Read the item description of the weapon you get in his boss arena.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't know you could parry jumping attacks now. It took five red phantoms to kill me as a warrior of sunlight, and that combined with another invader using whatever polearm it is that has a two second stagger per hit finally did me in.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 22, 2016

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Harrow posted:

Most are probably going to top out at B/B, I think. The Estoc is a standout when it comes to Chaos infusion. It's B/B and has a pretty much perfect moveset. If you want a thrusting sword it's basically perfect.

Nice, i'll probably use that and a deep axe for while so i don't have to deal with high str/dex reqs early. Probably move towards bulking up and using a greatsword after getting into NG+ levels.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Does anyone have a nice convenient list of the ng+ rings, organized by area? Does such a thing even exist?

The fextralife wiki has em by ring type which is ok I guess, but I'd rather snag them as I go through if I can.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't now you could parry jumping attacks now. It took five red phantoms to kill me as a warrior of sunlight, and that combined with another invader using whatever polearm it is that has a two second stagger per hit finally did me in.

That's pretty disappointing.

e: being able to parry jumping attacks, not your pvp.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Real hurthling! posted:

I'm currently screwing around Farron Keep's opening and I have to say the low damage poison is really making this less of a ballbuster. Though already knowing what certain enemies are when I saw them has certainly helped matters. gently caress yeah +1 shortbow!

Though I'm probably going to have to put off going for the Pharis hat and bow until later, ouch. Good thing that's tucked away in an optional go out of my way for it corner.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:
PVP is getting crazy.

Got summoned as a blue cop, they had two red invaders, who we (the host, a white phantom and myself) killed, and as we were killing them the host got invaded by mad phantoms and we killed 2 of them then got invaded again when we finally died. I got about 6 Proof of Concord Kept or whatever the blue cop item is.

Good game!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Harrow posted:

Really, magic and heavy armor/weapons aren't incompatible in a Souls game. Rolling for defense is my preferred way to play for sure, but you could just as easily pump up the Vitality, strap on some heavy armor and a shield, and be a pyrotank. Nothing really stopping that. Same for using a heavier weapon. Something like the Partizan or Lucerne would be pretty fun as a pyromancer. Or the Astora Greatsword--that thing's scaling is insane when you infuse it with Chaos, it's A/A with Int/Faith.

You do need to have the Pyromancy Flame equipped like a weapon to cast spells. You can switch back and forth of course. Whether you want it in your right or left hand is going to be dependent on whether you feel like you want a weapon or a shield out while casting, but you'll find what you're most comfortable with by experimenting.

Oops, I always get the stats mixed up. Yeah I'll probably do light armor for maximum rolls, then a one-hander.

Does anyone use staves for Pyromancy? Some of them seem like they'd be good for boosting stats.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

Care to be more specific. I'm at the covenant now and took a wander upstairs to kick some asses but haven't found any ashes.

Try disillusionment but hole. Specifically look up in the wolf room, there's a glowy item there you access from outside.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Samfucius posted:

Ugh, I get the wink wink with the archers and the narrow walkways, but they aren't any fun. Is it viable just to run past them? They were fun in the first one when I played BK halberd and a giant gently caress-off shield, but my current build doesn't really do that. If I could summon help without getting the poo poo kicked out of my by the defending covenant it would be okay, but I am apparently trash in PVP.

its dark souls you can run past like 95% of the enemies

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Oh right, is Boulder Heave worth getting or basically just not worth taking over Havel's ring?

(On that note, does the ring achievement require getting them all on one character, or just on the account in general?)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Any thoughts on an infusion for the dark sword? i'm at the point in leveling where i got a poo poo load of hp and stam and need to choose my damage stats and whether or not to pump equip load or not for fat dad medium rollin

Section Z posted:

I'm currently screwing around Farron Keep's opening and I have to say the low damage poison is really making this less of a ballbuster. Though already knowing what certain enemies are when I saw them has certainly helped matters. gently caress yeah +1 shortbow!

Though I'm probably going to have to put off going for the Pharis hat and bow until later, ouch. Good thing that's tucked away in an optional go out of my way for it corner.

yeah i can't kill the crabs quick enough yet to make it worth it. there's two of them that hold items that i have to come back for.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

argondamn posted:

That's pretty disappointing.

e: being able to parry jumping attacks, not your pvp.

Yeah, finally getting chaos infusions and using chaos bed and great chaos fireball has really started to pay off. GCFB especially, holy poo poo. They got a partial parry on the jump, and avoided damage, so I assume a full one is possible.

e: Also the starting part of Irithyll is some real poo poo compared to the rest. Especially the fire guys.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 22, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
e: oh nm lol

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The lack of cloud saves, while I get the reasoning, loving sucks. I want to take my home lady to my work laptop and play there too.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

A Magical Lamp posted:

Try disillusionment but hole. Specifically look up in the wolf room, there's a glowy item there you access from outside.

Ah thank you, I got them. Handed them to the vendor lady too and reset the area but she still hasn't shown up :argh: starting to wonder if this covenant is even worth the hassle.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Also the starting part of Irithyll is some real poo poo compared to the rest. Especially the fire guys.

Those guys are startling when you roll around a corner out of LOS, start to chug an estus, then explode ten feet into the air.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

So when my covenant icon flashes, do I need to do anything so I get summoned? It just flashes all the time but nothing ever happens.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm pretty sure jumping attacks can be partially parried but not fully parried. Same with most great weapon R1s and all great weapon R2s.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

lol i might be done with the game because the game has decided i am done. i'm in the archives, presently under some overhang where the crystal wizard is doing her thing and some wax dudes are also making GBS threads blue lasers at me. if i move out from under the awning, there's a 50% chance my game gives me a hard CTD. if i manage to fight my way out but die for any reason, i get a CTD on the loading screen. if i try to homeward bone out, i get a CTD on the loading screen. once i got lucky enough to fight my way out, the game didn't give me a hard CTD, i made it up further into the archives, opened some other short cuts, and was doing a frantic rooftop zig-zag chase with some gargoyles when the game decided again to CTD. when i loaded it back up? right back under that loving awning!

interesting, every time i have to alt+F4 or ctrl+alt+del out of DS3, when i load back up, there's no vaguely threatening message about the game not closing properly. i've had two random CTDs in all my 40+ hours of playtime prior to this, and both times when i reloaded the game, there was some ominous message like "if you don't shut down the game properly we might softban your poo poo you ungrateful little gently caress" but with this CTD situation in the archives, the game just seems happy to infinitely loop me through CTDs with no recourse.

anyone else get something like this?

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

Ah thank you, I got them. Handed them to the vendor lady too and reset the area but she still hasn't shown up :argh: starting to wonder if this covenant is even worth the hassle.

Leave and come back, don't just rest at the bonfire. Also don't be in Rosaria's Fingers, she'll hate you.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Trying to run this on a lovely laptop with intel graphics card, is there any way to drastically lower the settings? I can play on low but much too slowly for online play.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Trying to run this on a lovely laptop with intel graphics card, is there any way to drastically lower the settings? I can play on low but much too slowly for online play.

Turn the resolution down and play windowed

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I want a fist weapon set that give you the Champ's punches and kicks. That'd be rad as gently caress

When I walked in there the first sign I saw just said "time for fear"

.....Good luck!

Oh man, champ gloves would be amazing. I'm kind of sad the actual boss weapon doesn't incorporate at least a bit of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Obligatum VII posted:

Oh man, champ gloves would be amazing. I'm kind of sad the actual boss weapon doesn't incorporate at least a bit of that.

Demon's Fist?