Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Are there actual dealers that just give you the title and let you deal with it? I paid like $80 for a "filing fee" and then got a plate and tabs in 2 weeks and a new title in like a month mailed to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
This was a used car lot, that probably took the bike as part of a trade and the seller just signed the title over to nobody. Left it blank. They listed it on CL and it was going to be a cash transaction.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
There are and I would consider that practice to be moderately sketchy.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Dog Case posted:

Are there actual dealers that just give you the title and let you deal with it? I paid like $80 for a "filing fee" and then got a plate and tabs in 2 weeks and a new title in like a month mailed to me.

Yes. When I bought out of state I had to handle the taxes, fees, and titling by myself as the dealership couldn't handle MN business. Almost any established dealer will handle titling within the same state (or nearby states if they do a lot of business there). My dealership was great, and basically gave me 2 stacks of paper once it was all said and done. 1 was the 'show this to the dmv' stack and the other was the 'keep for your records'. It worked out pretty well.

PaintVagrant posted:

This was a used car lot, that probably took the bike as part of a trade and the seller just signed the title over to nobody. Left it blank. They listed it on CL and it was going to be a cash transaction.

Makes sense. If you wanted to be safe, you can always call the DMV and ask exactly what you need to be able to title a used vehicle. Some DMVs have this info online also. Get that and take it with you next time you're chasing a unicorn and you can make a more informed decision about whether or not you'll have an issue.

Also, you followed your gut. If the situation felt wrong, then it's probably better to keep the $1,500 in hand.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fishvilla posted:

Also, you followed your gut. If the situation felt wrong, then it's probably better to keep the $1,500 in hand.

Thats what I tell myself as I sit here with no bike :unsmith:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Where do you live? I have 1500.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

PaintVagrant posted:

Thats what I tell myself as I sit here with no bike :unsmith:

Minnesota DMV posted:

If a vehicle is purchased through a licensed Minnesota dealer, the dealer will take care of the transfer paperwork.
from here https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/Pages/vehicle-title-transfer.aspx

So yeah, that's shady.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

I bought the motorcycle in WI and then took it to MN. The dealership wouldn't need to be licensed in MN if it wasn't located there.

Fishvilla fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 21, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Where do you live? I have 1500.

Your moms house

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

PaintVagrant posted:

Your moms house

I don't know where you guys parked it. :sigh:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I don't know where you guys parked it. :sigh:

:wink: :slick:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Fishvilla posted:

I bought the motorcycle in WI and then took it to MN. The dealership wouldn't need to be licensed in MN if it wasn't located there.

Yes, I agree a wisconsin dealer is unlikely to be licensed in minnesota. Dealers in Minnesota have to be licensed. https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/Dealer-ThoseRequiredtoHaveDealerLicense.pdf I don't know what the dealer is getting out of this (probably not paying some transfer fee or something) but it's still shady.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When I got my Hawk, it was still titled in the name of the previous-previous owner; the guy I bought it from was a shadetree dealer (had a registry number etc) and had picked it up in a raffle or auction or something, but never titled it to himself because he was only going to tune it up and flip it. It was a little weird at first, but didn't seem overly sketchy -- and when the fuel pump crapped out 20 minutes into the ride home, he came out with his truck, apologized, fixed it for free and delivered the bike the next morning.

But who knows. For every story where it works out, there's at least one rear end in a top hat scammer. That's just how life is.

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!
Does it make any sense to purchase extended manufacturer warranty along with a new bike?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Evil the Cat posted:

Does it make any sense to purchase extended manufacturer warranty along with a new bike?

Nooooooooooooope. The house always wins.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

astrollinthepork posted:

Nooooooooooooope. The house always wins.

Heed these words. Dealerships and warranty providers make a lot of money off of the extended warranties.

builds character posted:

Yes, I agree a wisconsin dealer is unlikely to be licensed in minnesota. Dealers in Minnesota have to be licensed. https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/Dealer-ThoseRequiredtoHaveDealerLicense.pdf I don't know what the dealer is getting out of this (probably not paying some transfer fee or something) but it's still shady.

To clarify, I don't know that PaintVagrant is in MN or that he was going to a MN dealership. I was just giving an example of a situation where that title procedure would make sense/not be a scam.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Fishvilla posted:

Heed these words. Dealerships and warranty providers make a lot of money off of the extended warranties.

To clarify, I don't know that PaintVagrant is in MN or that he was going to a MN dealership. I was just giving an example of a situation where that title procedure would make sense/not be a scam.

yeah, sorry I misread that. Looks like he's in Michigan where, fwiw, the rules are the same.

Michigan posted:

When you buy a vehicle from a dealership, the dealer will:

Handle the paperwork
Collect the required fees and taxes
Provide you with copies of all documents

When buying a used vehicle, examine the title and vehicle carefully. Orange-colored titles are salvage titles and indicate that one or more of the vehicle's major components have been severely damaged or are missing.

I agree though that the rules are totally different for buying from out of state dealers, but I'd still expect the title to be in the dealer's name rather than in the prior owner's. That's the part of all this that is the most shady. All cash transaction, no record at all that the dealer was involved.

Evil the Cat posted:

How much?

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!
Thanks for the caution gents! Pricing is $300 for initial 12mo then $100 per each additional year up to 4 total.

Just in case ANYTHING EVER HAPPENS to it sir!

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Evil the Cat posted:

Going against the grain, I'm thinking of buying an extended warranty once the normal one on my 690 Duke runs out, the general build quality and things that have happened thus far make it sensible to me.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

In this episode of PaintVagrant Tries to Buy a Bike:

2014 Ninja 300 SE w/ABS. Dropped once, very minor vinyl graphics damage (pretty much unnoticeable), tiny scratches on brake lever. 850 miles. Incredibly clean, looks dealership new. $3800 USD a good price? It seems it but nada values/etc are pretty bad for bikes this new.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

In this episode of PaintVagrant Tries to Buy a Bike:

2014 Ninja 300 SE w/ABS. Dropped once, very minor vinyl graphics damage (pretty much unnoticeable), tiny scratches on brake lever. 850 miles. Incredibly clean, looks dealership new. $3800 USD a good price? It seems it but nada values/etc are pretty bad for bikes this new.

Yeah well gently caress it I bought it. Just throbbing hard right now guys.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 22, 2016

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
A good choice.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Seay bike.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'd say you'll come to think twice the price you paid was a good deal. Small and light bieks are the best beiks. Enjoy!

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006
So I currently own a 2015 CRF250L but riding this thing at an elevation of 6,000+ft in NW Colorado the bike really doesn't do much more than 65-70mph on even ground. I commute about 60 miles a day on it when the weather permits. I have all the power mods done to it and it's not bad but I'm thinking about getting a street bike with a little more power and saving the CRF for the trails.

I noticed a lot of you have Ninja 300's and was curious how they do at high elevation. The dealer in Steamboat Springs has 2 brand new 2016's on the floor. One with ABS and one without. They also have a left over 2015 CBR 300R. My worry is these 300's will still be too underpowered for where I live. One thing I really like about the Ninja is the gas tank is huge. My CRF has like a 2 gallon tank and the aftermarket tanks only add an additional gallon.

Other options I have considered is the FZ-07 and FZ-09. The Triumph Street Triple R(X) but the Triumph is a bit out of my price range.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Why not buy a used SV650 to start with?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The FZ-07 has a really small tank too fyi

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Dang that looks just like my 636 ninja, nice work, you'll love it!

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

jdfording posted:

So I currently own a 2015 CRF250L but riding this thing at an elevation of 6,000+ft in NW Colorado the bike really doesn't do much more than 65-70mph on even ground. I commute about 60 miles a day on it when the weather permits. I have all the power mods done to it and it's not bad but I'm thinking about getting a street bike with a little more power and saving the CRF for the trails.

I noticed a lot of you have Ninja 300's and was curious how they do at high elevation. The dealer in Steamboat Springs has 2 brand new 2016's on the floor. One with ABS and one without. They also have a left over 2015 CBR 300R. My worry is these 300's will still be too underpowered for where I live. One thing I really like about the Ninja is the gas tank is huge. My CRF has like a 2 gallon tank and the aftermarket tanks only add an additional gallon.

Other options I have considered is the FZ-07 and FZ-09. The Triumph Street Triple R(X) but the Triumph is a bit out of my price range.

Whatever you do, I wouldn't buy a newer bike without ABS if it comes with that as an option. Also, are you set on buying new? There are barely used Ninja 300's pretty much everywhere.

Even an old 250 will have more top end than your CRF, and the FI on the 300's should help with the elevation problems. Have you had your carbs adjusted at all for the altitude?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Obviously what he needs is an H2, that'll take care of his altitude issues.

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006

Dutymode posted:

Whatever you do, I wouldn't buy a newer bike without ABS if it comes with that as an option. Also, are you set on buying new? There are barely used Ninja 300's pretty much everywhere.

Even an old 250 will have more top end than your CRF, and the FI on the 300's should help with the elevation problems. Have you had your carbs adjusted at all for the altitude?

The CRF250L has fuel injection.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Woops, well never mind then.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
I've been riding a 2009 Honda Rebel 250 bike for ~3 years around San Francisco and the Bay area. I got the bike to learn on and bob around town on. Since buying this bike I've met my current gf and gotten quite a bit of experience on the bike. I've been wanting to get a new bike since the Rebel struggles up some of these steep SF hills, especially 2up with my gf on the back. However, I have avoided replacing it due to not having secure parking in the city and with street parking as my only option, I am willing to risk this small, cheaper bike.

I have finally secured convenient garage parking not too far from my apartment and want to upgrade. I'd like to pay less than $10k, the main function of this bike is going to be city riding with occasional weekend excursions around the area. I'm pretty sure I like the less aggressive riding posture of a crusier than sport bike but tbh, I've never ridden in that position. However, I love the classic cruiser style well above a sport bike look. Also, I'm 5'4" and 130lbs so I want a low CoG and short seat height.

I'm currently torn between the Yamaha Bolt and Kawasaki Vulcan S. I fell in love with the Bolt when it was released in 2014 but after I went to sit on it at the dealer, I didn't like the asymmetry between my knees (the stock air intake box protruded a lot further IRL than in photos) -- I think this can be solved with after market parts. I haven't seen the Vulcan in person but on spec is lighter, liquid cooled, comes with an ABS option and the free ergo fit option is very attractive. I definitely prefer the look of the Bolt a little better than the Vulcan.

Looking at reviews it seems like these are the top two options in this category. I think the lack of ABS is the biggest question for the Bolt. I currently don't have ABS on the Rebel now so I'm not sure how big a factor that is with a larger bike.

Opinions?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

climboutonalimb posted:

I'd like to pay less than $10k

the main function of this bike is going to be city riding with occasional weekend excursions around the area

I'm pretty sure I like the less aggressive riding posture of a crusier than sport bike but tbh, I've never ridden in that position.

Also, I'm 5'4" and 130lbs so I want a low CoG and short seat height.

Honda Grom. You're welcome.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

Honda Grom. You're welcome.

A Grom on steep hills with a passenger? About that...

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
climboutonalimb- you are in luck! I'm sure the rebel has been a good and fun bike for you but, any bike other than a buell blast will be a massive step up for you at this point.

Clearly, you should get a 1290SD.

But seriously, anything is going to be awesome. You are in a great spot. Don't get another cruiser, though.

I recommend the vstrom, SV650, EX500, or Koruthaiolos' Husky Strada.

You want it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

climboutonalimb posted:

I'm pretty sure I like the less aggressive riding posture of a crusier than sport bike but tbh, I've never ridden in that position. However, I love the classic cruiser style well above a sport bike look.

Opinions?

Have you considered our lord and saviour's personal choice, a standard? Much more comfortable than either the torture rack of a race replica sport bike or the recumbent, poorly balanced joke of a cruiser, and they're even available in retro looks for sensitive individuals who are allergic to plastic?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Have you considered our lord and saviour's personal choice, a standard? Much more comfortable than either the torture rack of a race replica sport bike or the recumbent, poorly balanced joke of a cruiser, and they're even available in retro looks for sensitive individuals who are allergic to plastic?

What is that sexy beast?:monocle:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like an XSR900

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-heritage/models/xsr900

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm in the super minority here, for reason's I cannot imagine, but the XSR900 has looked like a cluttered, slapped together, piece of poo poo, since it was unveiled last year.

Yet, in some buell esque explainable level of desire, all ya'll immediately fawned over it.

Like, I'm CERTAIN it handles awesome and runs great, but are you people blind?!