Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NutritiousSnack posted:

He's a fury, but a third eye goes to far?

I know that Sanji tends to get so angry he bursts into flame, but I don't see how that has anything to do with eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Maybe Sanji also has 3 eyes? The other 2 are covered by his hair?

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies

Niddhogg posted:

What's the name "killer" have to do with it?

Someone here mentioned that the San in Sanji could mean three, as in third son. That could mean his brothers names are Ichiji and Niji. If Killer is his brother, and if he's the first born, then... Ichi the Killer.

Fuckshoes fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 22, 2016

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fuckshoes posted:

Someone here mentioned that the San in Sanji could mean three, as in third son. That could mean his brothers names are Ichiji and Niji. If Killer is his brother, and if he's the first born, then... Ichi the Killer.

This is my favorite theory because it means that Oda has been waiting fifteen years to lay this pun/reference on us.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, there goes any chance of Sanji going back without a fight.

loving hell, Zou is over already?!!? So drat good, every chapter, best arc in a while, and the way things are building up now, the next are is gonna be awesome, too.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

SatansBestBuddy posted:

loving hell, Zou is over already?!!? So drat good, every chapter, best arc in a while, and the way things are building up now, the next are is gonna be awesome, too.

Oh well; at least it seems like Zou will be base of operations for this part of the manga. It sounds like they'll be returning there after Big Mam and going on to Wano/Kaido. Which means more Best Garfield.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I doubt we're completely done with Zou. I'd imagine this arc(s) will be bookended with Zou and the intervening ones will deal with Big Mom, Wano and Kaido.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I love Kaidous comment that "they took down a few Shichibukai and think they're hot poo poo". It really shows how much realer the New World is than the "pirate games" the strawhats have been playing in the Grand Line.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bisse posted:

I love Kaidous comment that "they took down a few Shichibukai and think they're hot poo poo". It really shows how much realer the New World is than the "pirate games" the strawhats have been playing in the Grand Line.

I remember when the Shichibukai was considered one of the Three Powers but they seem to be the somewhat weaker point of the triangle now that we seen the extent of the Yonkou's power and reach.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

alkanphel posted:

I remember when the Shichibukai was considered one of the Three Powers but they seem to be the somewhat weaker point of the triangle now that we seen the extent of the Yonkou's power and reach.

I think the idea is that it's their combined alliance with the World Government that helps fend off the Emperors... and then, only because all the Emperors are in a constant state of war with each other. Basically, every Emperor is a slightly lesser threat than the World Government and all its Shichibukai combined, and God help you if two or more of them decide to team up. By going after two Emperors at once, Luffy and the Straw Hats are basically rushing headlong into perhaps the biggest challenge any pirate crew could set themselves.

And on an unrelated note, yeah, I can't see a guy called Sanji getting too upset about being wedded to a three-eyed girl (especially one named after a foodstuff). There's likely to be more friction emerging from her being one of Big Mom's ruthless senior enforcers, but I doubt even that would slow him down all that much. I do actually think that we might be meeting Sanji's perfect bride here, and much of the conflict (once she gets talked around to the Straw Hats' side) will be based on helping her escape/overthrow Big Mom.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
She's going to eat only junk food, forbid smoking, and demand no other woman be even mentioned in front of her. Then she'll laugh at the futility of dreams in general and the stupidity of All Blue specifically.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Advice posted:

I think the biggest hint at future development we got this chapter was sneaky - Baron Tamago agreed with Capone's decision to take out Pekoms. I wasn't sure how the rest of Big Mom's crew would view the new guy taking out a respected member, and now we know. Pekoms doesn't seem to feel he was in the wrong, and is looking to pick a fight with Capone when he sees him. My guess is we're going to be seeing Pekoms falling out with BM, I can't imagine an attempted insubordination goes over well with the woman that sends you your friend's heads in boxes.

Checkmate Big Mom, all of Pekoms's friends are in her crew. :smug:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Good eye on the guy who saw Kid's leg a few chapters ago. I guess that alliance didn't last long.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
Also, 35th daughter? Did Big Mom eat the Duggar-Duggar fruit?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Krampus Grewcock posted:

Also, 35th daughter? Did Big Mom eat the Duggar-Duggar fruit?

I think it's more like whitebeard's crew and she refers to get crew and sons and daughters. It would fit in with the mafia motif she has going on.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Speaking of Kidd, his fate in this chapter brought to mind a parallel of sorts and how his position has been reversed.

Near the end of the timeskip, we saw Kidd poised to enter the New World, crucifying a bunch of pirates who had given up. He looks down on them, calling them soft. They didn't have the determination to make it, so he deems them trash and literally trashes them.

Now, we see that Kidd is a prisoner of Kaido. He presumably attempted to fight against Kaido (whereas Apoo seems to have surrendered) and lost hard. Kaido mocks Kidd, likening Kidd to a child who's simply playing pirate games. Kaido might be planning on using Kidd as a warning message, a sign of what happens to those who cross him.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Can't help but notice his metal arm switched sides.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Crazyeyes posted:

Can't help but notice his metal arm switched sides.

Well, he lost an arm during the timeskip I think.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Yeah in the earlier panel he just has bunch of junk covering his arm like he did in Sabaody, after the timeskip he seems to have an actual prosthetic arm.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I just have to say that Kaidou is legitimately terrifying. :stare:

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
kaido's new brand of extreme alcoholic nihilism is exactly what this genre needs

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I love Kaidou as a grumpy old man angry at the newfangled whosits.

"Punk kids think they're real pirates, huh? Well THIS is how you be a pirate, you little brats!"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kaidou also seems to have serious conniptions about the 'worst generation'.
Also I think Kid was backstabbed by Apoo.

The fucker.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I like that apparently Kaidou wasn't building an army of devil fruit users because of some master plan to take down his rivals, but just because it would be cool.

Luffy already crushed his dream, going to Wano and beating him up is just a formality.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Speaking of Kidd, his fate in this chapter brought to mind a parallel of sorts and how his position has been reversed.

Near the end of the timeskip, we saw Kidd poised to enter the New World, crucifying a bunch of pirates who had given up. He looks down on them, calling them soft. They didn't have the determination to make it, so he deems them trash and literally trashes them.

Now, we see that Kidd is a prisoner of Kaido. He presumably attempted to fight against Kaido (whereas Apoo seems to have surrendered) and lost hard. Kaido mocks Kidd, likening Kidd to a child who's simply playing pirate games. Kaido might be planning on using Kidd as a warning message, a sign of what happens to those who cross him.

while this is a true point, it should be noticed that if Kidd really did go 'well poo poo he's here might as well go for him', Kidd is still living up to his words which makes it an interesting statement; Kidd didn't run or act hypocritical when presented with someone out of his league. He still stood up and brought it. It just wasn't enough.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Someone in the thread a while back posted a theory that Kaido wasn't going to be beaten by tradition Shonen standards (ie, punched into submission), but rather by Luffy's attitude giving him a reason to live/not be suicidal anymore.

I really liked that idea, but seeing as how he's beaten the crap out of Kidd, I feel like that idea is out the window.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I enjoyed the casual "hit mook into space with club" scene

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Someone in the thread a while back posted a theory that Kaido wasn't going to be beaten by tradition Shonen standards (ie, punched into submission), but rather by Luffy's attitude giving him a reason to live/not be suicidal anymore.

I really liked that idea, but seeing as how he's beaten the crap out of Kidd, I feel like that idea is out the window.
They can still fight! But I do like the idea that Kaidou could be beaten by Luffy's will (his strongest attribute imo). It kinda doesn't make sense for Luffy to defeat all four emperors entirely, since it would leave a huge power vacuum.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

There weren't any emperors when Rogers was around, though. They came around to fill the power vacuum left by the king.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

And on an unrelated note, yeah, I can't see a guy called Sanji getting too upset about being wedded to a three-eyed girl (especially one named after a foodstuff). There's likely to be more friction emerging from her being one of Big Mom's ruthless senior enforcers, but I doubt even that would slow him down all that much. I do actually think that we might be meeting Sanji's perfect bride here, and much of the conflict (once she gets talked around to the Straw Hats' side) will be based on helping her escape/overthrow Big Mom.

I very much doubt she'll betray her mother. Far more likely, this is going to be Sanji being offered something tempting (a beautiful bride, a ton of money and power, and I suspect he'll be offered some kind of proof that All Blue exists) and rejecting it for Luffy's sake.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Stallion Cabana posted:

while this is a true point, it should be noticed that if Kidd really did go 'well poo poo he's here might as well go for him', Kidd is still living up to his words which makes it an interesting statement; Kidd didn't run or act hypocritical when presented with someone out of his league. He still stood up and brought it. It just wasn't enough.

he got really lucky in the sense that kaidou turned up without an entire army which is one of the reasons the emperors are so powerful. he just wasn't strong enough

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It's also possible he got backstabbed by Apoo and/or Hawkins.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Stallion Cabana posted:

That still plays into Kaidou's whole theme: you're either strong or you aren't. It is what it is.

Cat Machine posted:

They can still fight! But I do like the idea that Kaidou could be beaten by Luffy's will (his strongest attribute imo). It kinda doesn't make sense for Luffy to defeat all four emperors entirely, since it would leave a huge power vacuum.

I don't think Luffy really gives a gently caress about all that. He's gonna have to beat them all to legitimately call himself the Pirate King.

On that note, I think the progression is going to go like this: Big Mom > Kaidou > Shanks > Blackbeard, then all the rest with Akainu/Elder Stars/Mariejois/World Government/CP0/etc.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 22, 2016

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I actually wonder if things will go down like that though. I've imagined Luffy getting into a fight with Blackbeard early, losing, and having his fruit power stolen, yet surviving because he's that strong-willed. The question from there is whether he gets it back later (either directly or with help from Vegapunk), or replaces it with something else. Or maybe he just rolls with it and we learn that it's another Roger thing and we learn that Roger's illness was that he lost his Devil Fruit power and that cuts your lifespan down significantly.

I dunno, just thinking out loud.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

QuantaStarFire posted:

I actually wonder if things will go down like that though. I've imagined Luffy getting into a fight with Blackbeard early, losing, and having his fruit power stolen, yet surviving because he's that strong-willed. The question from there is whether he gets it back later (either directly or with help from Vegapunk), or replaces it with something else. Or maybe he just rolls with it and we learn that it's another Roger thing and we learn that Roger's illness was that he lost his Devil Fruit power and that cuts your lifespan down significantly.

I dunno, just thinking out loud.

I really hope not. Too "Bleach"-y in my opinion.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
That would be interesting, Luffy learning how to survive without his DF, but we don't know if it's it's possible to survive having your fruit extracted by Blackbeard or if it can even be done if you're alive.

For all of Luffy's immense strength, I still feel like he wouldn't be as strong as the most established powers without it. Thinking particularly of Roger, Rayleigh, Garp, and Shanks, (even Don Chinjao) they didn't have fruit powers and they were/are so much stronger than so many others. I wonder if Luffy could still be as durable and powerful without that power.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
In addition to being a rubber man, Luffy mastered all the Haki that Silvers "Dark King" Raleigh, first mate to the Pirate King, could shove into him. He then spent 6 months after that learning poo poo on his own.

Given his level of Haki, even without his rubber body he'd wreck most people in the world of One Piece's poo poo.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
luffy trains with his dad to create the mythical new style Rubber Dragon Fist

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Luffy has rubber powers because of a thought It would always result in fun fights so he's not losing the power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
luffy will probably lose his powers when fighting blackbeard but only temporarily but itll probably be the downer moment before luffys like "lol nah"