Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Binkenstein posted:

It does raise interesting questions about water use though. If the general response to water bottling companies is like this, why hasn't there been a similar issue with Farmers and their irrigation schemes that arguably take more water for nothing?

Maybe it's time to look at water rights & starting charging for water use (probably different rates for residential, farming & other commercial enterprises) and put that money into cleaning up rivers & lakes or improving water supplies.

Shouldn't charge for residential use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mirthdefect posted:

Makes sense. Wasn't being a dick (perhaps surprisingly), was just curious by which yardstick that was being measured.

There is also, IIRC, a vortex current in the pacific somewhere that is basically a pit where all the plastic washes up as a thick film of particles that get ingested by fish which then become part plastic themselves as far as human edibility goes.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
As an Aucklander, I thought everywhere charged for water usage. I'm kind of shocked that people would get it for free.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

bobbilljim posted:

As an Aucklander, I thought everywhere charged for water usage. I'm kind of shocked that people would get it for free.

Yup its a pretty hosed up system.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Slavvy posted:

There is also, IIRC, a vortex current in the pacific somewhere that is basically a pit where all the plastic washes up as a thick film of particles that get ingested by fish which then become part plastic themselves as far as human edibility goes.
You're thinking of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch in the North Pacific Gyre.

There's five major gyres in the world - three of them are now known to have permanent garbage patches.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
The garbage gyres in the ocean are one of those things that can shatter my veneer of rightness in the world and make me feel grose in my spine.

As a side note, having more luck getting my New Zealand qualifications recognized here in the USA and offers of better employment- generally having good interactions with people here and had fun telling 3-4 coworkers at my retail job about ANZAC day and some of the few Maori phrases I know.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jacobin posted:

shatter my veneer of rightness in the world and make me feel grose in my spine.

New thread title.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New Zealand Thread: Selling Souls, Taxes, but not water.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Prussia? That's a new old one.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Thanks mr skeltal

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Im just a piss test away from being confirmed in a real, adult job over here and got the pleasure of submitting my Ministry of Justice criminal background record letter perhaps for the last time for a long time.

Its a 2.85x pay increase from the precarious retail I was in my cup is just full on running over folks

As a side note, I attended a really cute/quaint ANZAC event in north Georgia held at an Australian womans home, there was maybe 25-30 people and we played a game of cricket later in the hot sun

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I hate sports but even I like backyard criket in the sun with or without beer (I presume because there is always beer)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Andrew Little looks like the sniper from TF2

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Word on the street is that the statistics on house sales that National has been collecting show something like 10-15% of all NZ sales were to foreign buyers, which means more like 20 to 30% of Auckland sales.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Exclamation Marx posted:

holy poo poo

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Exclamation Marx posted:

Leader's a good job, mate. Challenging work, indoors... I guarantee you'll not go hungry. Because at the end of the day, as long as there's two parties left in the country, someone's gonna want someone voted out.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Exclamation Marx posted:

Holy poo poo, you're not kidding

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
You mean there's too many of him on the team and he's helping nobody, despite the fact he's convinced that he's hot poo poo?

Grant Robertson is the medic in this analogy.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

It really is uncanny

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

NZAmoeba posted:

It really is uncanny

The Iraq photos are what made me realise it, it's cray

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Wafflecopper posted:

Uncanny

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
Herald is claiming that TV3 is nearly in uprising against Mark Weldon
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11632151

quote:

Executives, senior staff and on-air talent are said to be furious with the company's embattled CEO, Mark Weldon, and are planning a series of individual actions.

"There is a threat of mass resignations across TV and radio, not just news," said a senior MediaWorks source. "If there are no actions by the board in the next 48 hours then resignations at the executive level - and throughout the rest of the company - are expected within days."

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Ugh. gently caress Oaktree Capital and the amount of power they apparently have over our national discourse.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Wait, when was the last time TV3 did news?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

WarpedNaba posted:

Wait, when was the last time TV3 did news?

Sam Hayes has done most of the news if rumours are to be believed 👌👌👌💯💯💯✔️✔️✔️✔️😂😂

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Have you been playing Captain Blood

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Wafflecopper posted:

Holy gently caress that is freaky

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Ahaha I just remembered: the Sniper is actually a Kiwi. It's basically just there as a punchline, but it's part of the official background.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 2, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I did not realise New Zealand was so close to Australia.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Ghostlight posted:

I did not realise New Zealand was so close to Australia.

Why do you think I get the same ping to Aussie servers as I do to NZ ones?

Baka

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Sam Hayes has done most of the news if rumours are to be believed 👌👌👌💯💯💯✔️✔️✔️✔️😂😂

I'd make her feel grose in the spine (if you know what I mean ;) )

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
:/

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Infotainment! posted:

I'd make her feel grose in the spine (if you know what I mean ;) )

I think we've already had more than enough NZ media figures involved in grose spine feels

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sam Hayes can push me down a staircase anytime she likes :colbert:

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Anything to know the touch of a female

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

mirthdefect posted:

Don't yuck his yum.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mirthdefect posted:

Wait Sam Hayes is female?! gently caress!

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Ivor Biggun posted:

Herald is claiming that TV3 is nearly in uprising against Mark Weldon
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11632151

And he's gone: Mark Weldon resigns as MediaWorks chief executive

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/79593244/mark-weldon-resigns-as-mediaworks-chief-executive.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I hope his $1mil+ parachute is enough to cushion him from the personal costs of being directly responsible for multiple people leaving their long-standing jobs.

• Locked thread