Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
WAR had a lot of great stuff, shame they didn't give it enough time to cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Riftling posted:

Wildstar is going to go into the textbooks for MMO game design as the perfect storm of groupthink and lack of community assessment/research ripping their game asunder. It really stinks, too, because it was a refreshing change of pace thematically from other MMOs.

WAR would have been great with a little more thought put into the PVP. BGs needed more fine tuning and they needed to get RvR system down that didn't involve flipping keep control to abuse rewards.

Thinking back to WAR got me thinking about how much I love weird classes in MMOs. I really wish Asheron's Call 2 didn't get reamed by public perception after its publisher pushed for a release that was way too early. A lot of us that came from AC1 got burned by the lack of polish and lategame substance. It turned into a really great game near the end of its dev cycle, but it never recovered from that first misstep. It really did have the best classes, though:

Do you like bees? Throw bees ok, wasps at enemies with the Tumerok Hivekeeper!

Ever wonder what The Hulk would do if he only had ranged options? Be a Lugian Raider and THROW GIANT BOULDERS at enemies with your basic attacks.

WAR and Shadowbane also had a lot of great classes, and both are dead. It feels like past 2010 or so, we haven't seen much deviation from the WoW holy trinity styled classes.

I believe they brought back AC2, but only for the like 8 people that have active AC1 subs.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Rift had some cool class options. They never could make war moderate, throughout the entire game there was always a war build that was obscenely overpowered. I think my favorite was when they gave warlord a talent that gave them attack power equal to their shields armor. If you got the really high end shields you just one punch people in PvP. At launch you grabbed all the ogcd abilities and bound them to one key and obliterated people, which reset all your abilities and let you charge the next guy and start over.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jackard posted:

WAR had a lot of great stuff, shame they didn't give it enough time to cook.

Time would not of fixed WAR. They mega hosed up because Mythic can not balance games at all.

Through polls they figured that destruction side was going to be the side that everyone was going to want to be. So they fixed that by making all/most of the Order side classes vastly superior.

Order had at release access to moves that increase attack speed usually by 50%. They said 50% but in reality it chance to double hit, double hit means chance to double crit, it was brutal on Witchhunters and Ironbreakers. Destruction gained some attack speed buffs on some classes released much later but the damage was already done.

The Order knockbacks knocked players up and away, destruction knockbacks hit players back. This really doesn't seem like much but alot of pvp/bgs had a gently caress ton of cliffs into deadly lava, making order better at ring outs.

I think brightwizards were never nerfed, I played near the end and I leveled one purely in bgs killing 40s at lvl 31. Their whole thing was rolling a gently caress ton of dots on a target into a huge nuke and the longer your combo is the more damage you would do based on the brightwizards ability to explode.

Gearing loving sucked. You wanted to stack as many 2 set bonuses for your main stat, you would be running around with lvl 20 and 30 armor on for a long time at max level. A lot of people didn't really look into the stats leading it super bad setups. I want to say weapon top end was king also because how white attacks did a majority of the damage in the game for melee, even the classes without the attack speed boost. This would also lead to very funny situations with the Engineer, Magus, Squig Herder, and some elf bow guy classes, most of the time these were free kills for everyone because how almost none of the people who played them knew how to gear right to actually do damage. There were a rare number of people who could play them right.

So anyway, the game was released and destruction was super popular like they thought. Then the huge problem was known when Order could destroy the Destruction zergs with half numbers, due to their better skill sets. A lot quit the game and a lot switched to Order. Now Order was the popular side and the side with the better classes, the game bled subs for 2 years leading to massive server reduction. I want to say they could never super nerf Order just because they would lose so many subs at that point. This is also not to say destruction never won fights because they did. Coordinated groups could win fights, like in any game.

Don't worry they are making Camelot again as some final hurrah to fail at making MMOs when you have more options other than EQ and UO.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Tamayachi posted:

I believe they brought back AC2, but only for the like 8 people that have active AC1 subs.

AC1 is now $10 B2P and if you buy it you get access to AC2 as well.

Jairock
Apr 1, 2016
EVE Online .... thats the only MMO which will take you on a roller coaster ride and grant you an experience which will be unmatched by any other mmo out there for years to come.

If you are wondering what the hell is EVE Online please check out this thread : https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770359

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Jairock posted:

EVE Online .... thats the only MMO which will take you on a roller coaster ride and grant you an experience which will be unmatched by any other mmo out there for years to come.

If you are wondering what the hell is EVE Online please check out this thread : https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770359

I found that Star Trek Online was everything that EVE should have been, at least regarding gameplay mechanics- and I say that as someone that's not even a fan of Star Trek. EVE has the shittiest UI and literally the most boring combat I've ever witnessed in a video game. I'd love to play a high intrigue politics/capitalism sandbox that has good controls and fun combat, but EVE definitely isn't it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jairock posted:

Chickenwing is an eve player already.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Brave New World posted:

I found that Star Trek Online was everything that EVE should have been, at least regarding gameplay mechanics- and I say that as someone that's not even a fan of Star Trek. EVE has the shittiest UI and literally the most boring combat I've ever witnessed in a video game. I'd love to play a high intrigue politics/capitalism sandbox that has good controls and fun combat, but EVE definitely isn't it.

what

sto was so baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Brave New World posted:

Nice orbit from 50m insult.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
actually playing eve online is not very fun

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Luceid posted:

actually playing eve online is not very fun

I play it the way it was meant to be played. Remembering it and reading how people are still shooting themselves in the foot playing it. The news is the real game.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Brave New World posted:

EVE has the shittiest UI and literally the most boring combat I've ever witnessed in a video game.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Secret Spoon posted:

I play it the way it was meant to be played. Remembering it and reading how people are still shooting themselves in the foot playing it. The news is the real game.

this is correct!!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Secret Spoon posted:

This is from two days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWxs8PLFrHY

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Incredibly possible, but on the other hand it's still really really bad and not something to brush to the side like a lot of BDO goons like to do when evangelizing.

I turned all of it off :v:

But seriously, they'd go a long way in BDO by just starting out with a lot of it shut off and letting new players find new options instead of overwhelming them with everything at once.

Yeah, as someone who just started BDO the UI is incredibly overwhelming. Also, the game in general is pretty overwhelming since at first stroke it's your typical action WoW clone but it's full of weird rear end systems all over the place that make no sense for new players (knowledge, energy, the weird conversation minigame, the fact that you have to run around to raise your stamina, the million NPCs around overwhelming you with stuff about houses, workers, nodes, etc.). They really could have used a more gradual method for introducing concepts and options.

I had a similar feeling starting up Dungeon Fighter Online the first few times, at least until I learned if I just ignored most of it and started punching things I'd have fun.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
I really want to like BDO. It looks nice, and the sandboxy design would be a nice change of pace from WoW until Legion brings me back.

The UI doesn't bug me so much as the combat. I did the training quest and stuff but I have literally zero idea how the combat works, other than it's got combos and the buttons you use are spread, seemingly arbitrarily, across your keyboard and mouse. Letter keys, number keys, and mouse buttons alike are required in combat basically from level 1. Tried to play with a gamepad but it still felt really wonky.

Why is it like this? How can I stop being a big baby about it and enjoy the game?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I played BDO for 5 minutes the uninstalled, new mmos are poo poo, the whole genre is tired and dead. The only mmo I can play anymore is project 99.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Mung Dynasty posted:

The UI doesn't bug me so much as the combat. I did the training quest and stuff but I have literally zero idea how the combat works, other than it's got combos and the buttons you use are spread, seemingly arbitrarily, across your keyboard and mouse. Letter keys, number keys, and mouse buttons alike are required in combat basically from level 1. Tried to play with a gamepad but it still felt really wonky.
Uhh change the keybinds?

I don't like combos on the keyboard so use a gamepad with custom keybinds.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good super hero MMOs anymore? Should I play CO or DCUO?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Droid Washington posted:

Are there any good super hero MMOs anymore? Should I play CO or DCUO?

DCUO is pretty decent, the worst part about it is that you basically have to buy like 12 expansion packs. You get to max level pretty quickly and then you do tiers of dungeons. It has the best implementation of super-speed in a game to date. I was really disappointed when it turned out that leveling a hero and a villain were basically identical, all the missions are the same they are just given to you buy a different person for a slightly different reason. If you happen to have a love for pre-52 DC Universe, then you are in luck because there's references everywhere.

CO is just loving terrible. If you cant find something to like in DCUO, there's no hope for liking CO.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 18, 2016

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

The only MMO I can tolerate now is ESO.

By tolerate I mean I played the first zone six months ago and didn't hate myself, but stopped playing anyways. The idea of loading it back up doesn't fill me with regret.

I feel the need to play one but haven't enjoyed a single one past the leveling, most of them not even during that. Last one I truly enjoyed was release Rift.

I have to give some props to FF14, though. Great art direction (those giant stone guys in the starter zones in particular), a not-entirely-horrible class system and amazing music for their pretty decent boss fights. Green bitch hard mode or xtreme mode or whatever name they gave her was fun for a whole week!

Degs fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 18, 2016

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

DCUO is pretty decent, the worst part about it is that you basically have to buy like 12 expansion packs. You get to max level pretty quickly and then you do tiers of dungeons. It has the best implementation of super-speed in a game to date. I was really disappointed when it turned out that leveling a hero and a villain were basically identical, all the missions are the same they are just given to you buy a different person for a slightly different reason. If you happen to have a love for pre-52 DC Universe, then you are in luck because there's references everywhere.

CO is just loving terrible. If you cant find something to like in DCUO, there's no hope for liking CO.

...Which is nothing more than your personal opinion.

Most of the refugees from City of Heroes/Villains aren't satisfied with either option, but Champions gets less hate than DCUO. CO is far from perfect, but it's the primary go-to for ex-CoX players looking for a superhero fix. Building a Free Form character(any power from any set) trumps being stuck to an ArchType, but experiencing Free Form requires $15 a month due to their poorly-conceived F2P model.

One thing CO completely owns DCUO on is character customization. CO does it like CoX did with a system that has incredible depth.

Don't take some random goon's word for it, play both and decide for yourself.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

Degs posted:

I have to give some props to FF14, ... amazing music for their pretty decent boss fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stUvx6Y8CAk SO GOOD. Perfect timing between the music and the actual engagement in this video too. Still sends shivers down my spine 2 years later despite the encounter being a complete joke.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

:cmon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLCWCPyxByg

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeah it took them a long time to beat Ultima for encounter music (as it stands on its own, ignoring syncing I mean--I've gushed about T13 enough), but Brute Justice's theme certainly did it

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Wow that Brute Justice song is fantastic. I can no longer remember why I stopped playing, tbh...

Ah dammit.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Brave New World posted:

...Which is nothing more than your personal opinion.

Most of the refugees from City of Heroes/Villains aren't satisfied with either option, but Champions gets less hate than DCUO. CO is far from perfect, but it's the primary go-to for ex-CoX players looking for a superhero fix. Building a Free Form character(any power from any set) trumps being stuck to an ArchType, but experiencing Free Form requires $15 a month due to their poorly-conceived F2P model.

One thing CO completely owns DCUO on is character customization. CO does it like CoX did with a system that has incredible depth.

Don't take some random goon's word for it, play both and decide for yourself.

Nah, both of them are pretty bad but at least DCUO hasn't been stuck in maintenance mode for loving years. It's probably safe to say that if you want superhero poo poo you're just hosed and because there are so few options none of them managed to rise to the lofty heights of arguably adequate MMO in other genres achieve sometimes just because there's so many of them and a thousand monkeys and all that.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Let me sell you on an MMO

WW2 Online.

WW2 Online is a FPSMMO with heavy simulator mechanics. You can take control of soldiers, tanks, airplanes, and a few boats as Germans, French, British, or USA. The premise of the game is that its 1939 and the Germans are invading France.

Now, its an open world. The areas modeled in game are some of Western Germany, the Benelux areas, Eastern France, and a little of Southern Britain. By simulator mechanics I mean it plays more like ARMA/Red Orchestra 1 than battlefield or whatever. One shot is one kill, tanks have armor and a damage model, and aircraft you need a joystick and its about IL-2 levels of difficulty.

So logistics are modelled. If a soldier is killed he's gone for good. There's even factories that produce more tanks/planes and stuff that in the past, player bombing raids have done strategic bombing against. It is a full open world. I could take off from an airfield and Brussels where there aren't any players for miles, and take a 1 hour flight to the frontlines.

The main gameplay is over towns and cities. There is no AI in the game, so overall strategy and missions against towns are created by a country's High Command which are a group of grogs who applied for those positions. So there's a player command structure.

So when the HC grogs make an order to take a town and move in battalions and poo poo to take it, players spawn in and attack/defend the town. In the beginning its a walking simulator because you gotta walk like 1.5km to the target but once a mobile spawn is up or parts of the town is captured you can spawn in.

Its relatively simple but the scale of the game being massive you get all sorts of cool poo poo:

1. In a hotly contested town (250 players in the area) I once saw a damaged British bomber land down main street and use its guns as turrets to suppress German troops across the street.

2. 50 tank armored columns attacking towns.

3. When fighting in Holland its a common sight to see massive ship battles. Unfortunately the only ships are a cargo ship (players and supplies can be loaded to do invasions), a destroyer, and a patrol boat. These ship battles are chaotic and you usually have airplanes flying overhead trying to bomb you too.

4. Doing massive paradrops into enemy territory, with some planes full of troops going down due to AAA before they can jump.

Basically the common experience in the game is shooting at Germans in the bushes, while tanks battle it out, while dogfights are going overhead.

Shits fun.

However the game runs mostly poorly, the graphics are super (10 years) out of date, its a subscription model (with token F2P), a glacial dev pace, and player counts are at the lowest they've ever been. The game's fun absolutely relies on there being a big playerbase and thats not the case anymore.

Try the free trial, or not, whatever the game is probably all-but-dead. Its sure as hell past its prime, but like 8 years ago it was the fuckin' best.

The game got greenlit on steam like 2 years ago and still nothings happened. Maybe wait till it gets on steam (if ever) and that will hopefully give it a boost back to the old days.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah it took them a long time to beat Ultima for encounter music (as it stands on its own, ignoring syncing I mean--I've gushed about T13 enough), but Brute Justice's theme certainly did it

Degs posted:

Wow that Brute Justice song is fantastic. I can no longer remember why I stopped playing, tbh...

Ah dammit.

That's awesome. I haven't played since 2.4 so I didn't know about that :v: I love how the music fits the theme and overall tone of the boss so well. GKMM being yet another prime example.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
For some reason I just got back in to LOTRO and I really like the generally chill atmosphere. Smoke some dank pipeweed in between quests and plunk out Stairway to Heaven with the music mini-game if you're bored. It is old as hell though and while the world graphics are pretty nice the character animations were sub-par when it launched let alone now.

Also The Secret World, despite being an MMO in theory, is actually a pretty good single player RPG. It has lots of funny/good dialogue and a really fun theme and would probably be super fun with a buddy. I know the OP tried it already but other people should give it a shot, it is cool and good

Zephro fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 20, 2016

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

revenance posted:

That's awesome. I haven't played since 2.4 so I didn't know about that :v: I love how the music fits the theme and overall tone of the boss so well. GKMM being yet another prime example.

What that doesn't show you is the previous floor of alexander where you fight the individual mechs before they become brute justice.

Also they did a really great job on themes in HW. I don't wanna post Thordan because it's a little spoilery but it's my favorite theme in the game now. They also added:

Ravana, a waltz with Mongolian throat singing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z_3hRm7K8g

Bismarck, a super chill yet also video game as gently caress theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shMaev-dSFI

and Sephirot (be sure to at least get to phase 2 at 3:22) not actually featuring powerman 5000, but we coulda fooled you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25WOf5s-SU0

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

Maplestory is nice if you have nothing to do and like listening to podcasts. You just get into the addictive grinding loop and can zone out entirely. Good way to make my horrible life pass by a little bit faster.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

not actually featuring powerman 5000, but we coulda fooled you

Hahahahaha what the poo poo I was so on board until the singing

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

What non-FFXIV MMO has the best wizard/mage/~magic throwing dude~ class?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

slouch posted:

Maplestory is nice if you have nothing to do and like listening to podcasts. You just get into the addictive grinding loop and can zone out entirely. Good way to make my horrible life pass by a little bit faster.

How annoying does the cash stuff get? I could use a dumb 'punch stuff and watch numbers while you listen to other things' game but I heard they really went hog wild on cash shop stuff lately?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

How annoying does the cash stuff get? I could use a dumb 'punch stuff and watch numbers while you listen to other things' game but I heard they really went hog wild on cash shop stuff lately?

If they're still doing it, there's a new server they called "Reboot" that makes it so you can buy cash shop stuff with mesos, some mobs drop cash shop poo poo iirc, and EXP, money, and item drop rates are much higher. The trade-off is you can't trade your drops with other players, so you need to find your own drops, makes it more single player and kinda diabloish.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

What non-FFXIV MMO has the best wizard/mage/~magic throwing dude~ class?

Black Desert definitely. Be Gandalf and feel like Gandalf while doing Gandalf-like things. It's Dynasty Warriors-tier power fantasy gameplay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhA4i0hGyF0

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 22, 2016

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Degs posted:

Hahahahaha what the poo poo I was so on board until the singing

if you're not down with industrial buttrock filtered through japanese vidja games i dont even know what to say to you

say my name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Maybe try Dungeon Fighter Online? The interface is initially pretty impenetrable, but when you start to ignore a lot of it and set a gamepad up it's basically like an MMO Streets of Rage (or Golden Axe or whatever) with a ton of classes, crazy abilities, and lots of gear and poo poo to grind out if you are into that sort of thing.

e: I play it pretty regularly and have yet to pay a penny, but I'm extremely casual.

• Locked thread