Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I have particularly poor decision making skills and so once again find myself with the inexplicable desire to grind bear asses and cast magic missile into the darkness of my soul. However, upon cursory examination it would appear that all of the current generation of mmos are incredibly poo poo. I want something that I can play with MY FIANCEE fairly casually with at least pve content. I'm looking for an experience like WoW (I played during TFT/Cata, never managed to get around to raiding) in terms of dungeon content - fun, not a massive time sink except in ridiculous edge cases or if we REALLY want to, lots of items with word salad names and various colours that will indicate to me how long my internet penis is. So far I've discovered the following:

Blade and Soul: oh god the animeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee i don't really know much other than I was anime flying for a little while and also a midget turned into a big fuckoff monster. If this has an inexplicably fun level grind and endgame I'd be open to it, as I have a couple friends already playing.

Black Desert Online: acceptable levels of anime, unacceptable levels of idiot UI, war crime levels of voice acting. Allegedly bleh pve endgame - not super interested in farmville, and i've already got EVE for my sandbox pvp fix

Archeage: :fuckoff:

Guild Wars 2: I'm hearing that the endgame PvE is probably the best in the industry, but also that it's incredibly bad and arenanet are terrible devs who never listen to their community? So far top pick, especially considering I already own the base game.

FFXIV
: I haven't managed to get much of a read on it, also it's expensive and requires a monthly fee which makes it somewhat less attractive. Also anime? What little I've heard about it suggests that it also may have best-in-industry PvE, so it's probably my second pick right now, especially considering that appears to be the primary focus, whereas GW2 is also preoccupied with esportsPvP

SWTOR: meh? I played it for a while but couldn't really sink my teeth into it. I'm not really looking for -too- much story, especially considering MY FIANCEE is of the "gently caress reading kill mobs" playstyle.

Go back to WoW?: Okay yeah this is the obvious solution but I'm looking for something fresher, prettier, etc. I'm willing to trade down a bit in terms of overall quality, as I'm sure by now Blizzard has optimized the quest > dungeon > gear > repeat cycle. I just want something that looks and feels good, and has solid gameplay underneath that is preferably vaguely challenging (in before "lol TFT wow wasn't challenging", go back to the part where I mentioned that I was a filthy casual).

To be honest, the closest a game has come to the feel I'm looking for was Rift, back around launch. I really dug into that game, up until I hit the mid-high-level lack of content that's sorta endemic to new MMOs. Plus all my friends left :smith:. However, it hit really close to the "pretty, intuitive gameplay, solid PvE" mark.

So, please feel free to change my mind on my established opinions or reveal to me something that I haven't looked at yet. I'm also open to games that are "coming soon" if they show promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Get a free trial of FFXIV

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Launch Rift was awesome RIP great game.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Yeah probably play 14

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
mmos are bad, dont play them

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
all of the MMOs

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Guild Wars 2 has endgame PVE?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

suuma posted:

allegedly

El Generico posted:

Yeah probably play 14

I'm starting to hear a lot of this, although I've been warned that the combat is a little slow-paced, long GCDs and cast times and whatnot

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time

suuma posted:

For group content there are Raids that were released with the latest expansion (2nd wing coming 3/8/2016, tomorrow). There is also Fractals which have been simplified during the expansion which are dungeons that get harder the higher level you go (kind of like D3 rifts).

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

if you must play one, play some free version of a childhood classic like wow or uo. when it inevitably collapses due to drama, you only loathe yourself for the time you wasted and not the money wasted

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

ChickenWing posted:

I'm starting to hear a lot of this, although I've been warned that the combat is a little slow-paced, long GCDs and cast times and whatnot

Yeah, it will feel glacial at first, but it is actually fit really well with the pace of the game and encounters later on so you stop noticing that it's a fairly long GCD compared to other games. Also, it has some great localization, the people working it obviously had fun.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

ChickenWing posted:

Black Desert Online: acceptable levels of anime, unacceptable levels of idiot UI, war crime levels of voice acting. Allegedly bleh pve endgame - not super interested in farmville, and i've already got EVE for my sandbox pvp fix

This is incredibly accurate. The game looks amazing visually and the combat seemed kind of fun, but holy hell if there weren't a thousand things on my screen that were confusing as gently caress at all times.

Blade and Soul is quite fun. I just started playing it myself a few days ago. The UI is simple (and fully customizable), the gameplay is fun, a little samey and grindy but apparently it gets quite fun later on.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ChickenWing posted:

I have particularly poor decision making skills and so once again find myself with the inexplicable desire to grind bear asses and cast magic missile into the darkness of my soul. However, upon cursory examination it would appear that all of the current generation of mmos are incredibly poo poo. I want something that I can play with MY FIANCEE fairly casually with at least pve content. I'm looking for an experience like WoW (I played during TFT/Cata, never managed to get around to raiding) in terms of dungeon content - fun, not a massive time sink except in ridiculous edge cases or if we REALLY want to, lots of items with word salad names and various colours that will indicate to me how long my internet penis is. So far I've discovered the following:

Blade and Soul: oh god the animeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee i don't really know much other than I was anime flying for a little while and also a midget turned into a big fuckoff monster. If this has an inexplicably fun level grind and endgame I'd be open to it, as I have a couple friends already playing.

Archeage: :fuckoff:

Guild Wars 2: I'm hearing that the endgame PvE is probably the best in the industry, but also that it's incredibly bad and arenanet are terrible devs who never listen to their community? So far top pick, especially considering I already own the base game.

FFXIV
: I haven't managed to get much of a read on it, also it's expensive and requires a monthly fee which makes it somewhat less attractive. Also anime? What little I've heard about it suggests that it also may have best-in-industry PvE, so it's probably my second pick right now, especially considering that appears to be the primary focus, whereas GW2 is also preoccupied with esportsPvP

SWTOR: meh? I played it for a while but couldn't really sink my teeth into it. I'm not really looking for -too- much story, especially considering MY FIANCEE is of the "gently caress reading kill mobs" playstyle.

Go back to WoW?: Okay yeah this is the obvious solution but I'm looking for something fresher, prettier, etc. I'm willing to trade down a bit in terms of overall quality, as I'm sure by now Blizzard has optimized the quest > dungeon > gear > repeat cycle. I just want something that looks and feels good, and has solid gameplay underneath that is preferably vaguely challenging (in before "lol TFT wow wasn't challenging", go back to the part where I mentioned that I was a filthy casual).

To be honest, the closest a game has come to the feel I'm looking for was Rift, back around launch. I really dug into that game, up until I hit the mid-high-level lack of content that's sorta endemic to new MMOs. Plus all my friends left :smith:. However, it hit really close to the "pretty, intuitive gameplay, solid PvE" mark.

So, please feel free to change my mind on my established opinions or reveal to me something that I haven't looked at yet. I'm also open to games that are "coming soon" if they show promise.

Guild Wars 2 endgame PvE is extremely thin. Goons seem down on it because they have made some puzzling design decisions with it since the expansion came out. To top this, the updates have been sparse and community interaction has been left wanting. If you're wanting good PvE you're probably better off avoiding this one.

You shouldn't avoid Blade and Soul and Black Desert Online for the anime. You should avoid it because it's stuffed to the gills with the sort of unbearable grinding you only see in Korean MMOs.

If you want something WoW-like without specifically being WoW, your best bet is Final Fantasy 14 more than likely. There's less customization to be had in the classes compared to WoW (White mages, scholars, and Astrologists are always healers, no off spec/dps specs, ditto for tanks) but that's counteracted somewhat by the fact that one character can class change basically at will outside of combat, so you don't need half a dozen alts. You can level and advance fairly well with minimal time investment (doubly so if you or your lady play either a tank or healer, you can basically level on instant dungeon queues pretty quickly). There's a significant amount of dungeons and the endgame content is fairly easy to prep for once you hit max level. Endgame raiding is done in 8 man groups and you queue up one boss at a time with little/no trash fights, so the time commitment is less extreme compared to most MMO raids. The traditional PvE loot tredmill is there, but the grind is nowhere near as bad as B&S/BDO with maybe an exception for the mostly optional relic/anima weapons of which they are not required to do endgame stuff.

The Comedy option in this discussion is Project Gorgon for a number of reasons. It's in Alpha and also free for the time being, but the alpha jank comes along with it. The game itself is UGLY, but has some interesting design philosophy behind it. It's a PVE game and like FF14, you can swap your "class" basically at will. Where this differs is that the game is set up more like Guild Wars 1, except instead of classes, you have combat skills of which you have 2 active at any time, and can mix and match out of about 2 dozen total, including some really bizarre ones. Want to be a combat cow that uses psychoanalysis to befuddle enemies? You can do that. Want to be a barefisted brawler who cheats at 1v1 punchups by bringing his pet panther? Yeah, that's an option you can do. Want to go around milking the aforementioned combat cow so you can make cheese and get increase skill in eating said cheese? You guessed it. Big problem with the game aside from the fugly looks is that it is still an alpha and large swaths of the game are subject to change at pretty much any notice.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 7, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ESO is pretty good, MY GIRLFRIEND and I play together very casually, she's terrible at the game and her computer runs it like poo poo, but we have fun while I keep both of us alive

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Yeah if you don't mind a game in alpha, PG is amazing. My primary character is literally a giant spider that bakes a lot of muffins and banana bread.

The Steam release was delayed so Citan could get some more stuff in place, and I'm not sure how in-depth any potential "free trial" will be (if there even is one) once it finally transitions to B2P. So if you want to try it free now's the time.

Housing in at least two game towns (including the exclusive-ish area for giant animal characters) has been confirmed as an eventual thing too, if either of you like that in your casual MMO fun. :neckbeard:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If you don't want story heavy don't go 14. I'm enjoying myself but there is a lot of content locked behind the story heavy main scenario.

Taran
Nov 2, 2002

What? I don't get to yell "I'LL FINISH THIS" anymore?

Grimey Drawer
Like many others in this thread, I think that FF14 is your best bet if you want a really solid PVE MMO. Though, does tab-targeting vs. action MMO gameplay matter to you? It sounds like you're already a fan of GW2, and from everything I've heard Blade and Soul is a really fun game if you are more into the action-MMO style. Also, I think ESO is an action MMO as well, but I've never played it.

If you're not a fan of the action-MMO and you'd prefer the tab-targeting style, then definitely FF14.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

GW2 has pve in the sense that you will be going through zones to level up and then you have to start grinding the most efficient way of making money to dress up in the pretty princess game. The expansion has been considered by most of the forums to be a resounding failure and the games director quit recently, so things could improve.

FFXIV has some of the most solid PVE content in any MMO and they have a whats probably the tightest patch schedule out of any MMO in the market. They sort of stumbled a bit with the expansions endgame and first patch but a lot of people seem to like the current patch better.

Blade and Soul has pretty bog standard pve leveling experience but a really in depth class and combat system, the pve content right now is fairly casual with the most difficult content actually being a solo tower run where they release a few floors each patch. Apparently much tougher group pve content will start releasing soon enough.

Black Desert has some of the weakest pve content you could imagine if you aren't into crafting or grinding mobs. If you dont plan to siege pvp then there isn't a reason to pve, and you wouldn't want to be doing pve in this game if you didn't want to siege.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Most MMOs out there are missing one of two things:

A) Sincerity.

B) Competence.

WoW is a technically proficient but soulless product. Guild Wars 2 has heart but has a content production rate that can be compared to water dripping off a stalactite for four long years followed by a tepidly received expansion. Truth be told they seem either understaffed or underfunded. Most likely both.

FF14 is the only MMO on the market I know of that isn't deficit in one or both. The game starts off slow and the long GCDs can be off putting at first, but you'll have no shortage of off GCD bullshit to weave between abilities by time your time. The game's slow pacing is in part due to the fact that FF14 largely assumes that the player has never played a tab-targeting WoW style MMORPG before. For a non-trivial part of it's audience, that is true. The rest of us just have to grin and bear it. The game also outputs content at a rate unheard of in the industry, 3.0->3.1 gap aside, and consistently good content at that. It's well worth a try.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Just wait for Pantheon, Brad will save us from MMO hell.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Blazing Zero posted:

mmos are bad, dont play them

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

For real though steam is all you need.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

You could always try to check out some WoW private servers. They certainly wont be prettier than Wrath era WoW, but youll get to experience content you may have missed out from before then. Additionally theres the perk of them being free. If youre interested in Vanilla at all theres a couple decent ones available, and a Burning Crusade one is set to drop later next month.

If you played WoW and are looking for a WoW-like itch, nothing really does it better than WoW itself.

e: someone mentioned Project Gorgon in here earlier and I wanna second that that game is amazing, if a little ugly.

Tanners fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 8, 2016

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

FFXIV is good and not anime assuming you dont want to play a catgirl.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

FFXIV is great but gets grindy as hell due to the gating system around the main story and some odd levels where you can actually run out of quests, forcing you to chain run dungeons to move on. The amount of hoops you need to jump through just to get from base game to expansion content ended up driving me away since it just gets harder and harder to find people doing the old content. Yda and Papalymo were awesome though so Id at least recommend getting through the base story if you chose the game.

I actually really enjoy SWTOR now since they basically remade the game as KOTOR 3 and everything can be done solo/duo, including most story dungeons. Plus the pretty princess dress up in that game is amazing. Oh and you can do it all without subbing since having a sub only really adds some QOL stuff.

I cant give you any insight into Blade & Soul since I just started playing yesterday. So far seems fun. The combat is, at the very least, pretty intuitive and fresh.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Digital_Jesus posted:

FFXIV is good and not anime assuming you dont want to play a catgirl.

Yeah, I also hear that the sky is actually hot-pink.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Blazing Zero posted:

if you must play one, play some free version of a childhood classic like wow or uo. when it inevitably collapses due to drama, you only loathe yourself for the time you wasted and not the money wasted
You get double the value when you get to laugh at all the people who donated hundreds of dollars to bank roll the owners heroin addiction.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Too Poetic posted:

You get double the value when you get to laugh at all the people who donated hundreds of dollars to bank roll the owners heroin addiction.

it's really good when those hundreds of dollars wasted invested into free servers dont translate into significant advantage and you can trounce them without paying a cent

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Did you try Wildstar? It has many WoW elements but was "WoW-Killer" Number #8 that went f2p and lost like 3/4 of players after the ininitial hype.
SWTOR is a great story driven MMORPG, but I play it solo and revisit it every 2-3 months for a class Story.
Rift was fanatstic but maybe even too similiar to WoW.

Right now I play offline RPGs like Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning with DLCs (which is an amazing game, experience and timesink and had so much Potential, but mechanical flaws ) because beside WoW and SWTOR there are no MMORPGs that caught (or kept) my interest.
I still have my wow subscrition and wait for Legion.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Mr.PayDay posted:

Did you try Wildstar? It has many WoW elements but was "WoW-Killer" Number #8 that went f2p and lost like 3/4 of players after the ininitial hype.
SWTOR is a great story driven MMORPG, but I play it solo and revisit it every 2-3 months for a class Story.

Right now I play offline RPGs like Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning with DLCs (which is an amazing game, experience and timesink and had so much Potential, but mechanical flaws ) because beside WoW and SWTOR there are no MMORPGs that caught (or kept) my interest.

:stare:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Project Gorgon. Don't bother with anything else currently available.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Mr.PayDay posted:

You are a broken human being

Don't play ff14 if you are only jumping in now. You have literally 2 years of solo questing to do to even unlock the expansion content and a lot of it is dumb and unfun garbage, the highs are very high but the lows are very frequent. The interface is horrendous and the GCD is glacial, especially if you are already acclimated to WoW or even worse GW2.

WoW is bad and only getting worse

GW2 is great to play a month now then forget about and play a month next year

Anything made by koreans or chinese will be both pay2win and grindy as all gently caress

I haven't played TESO but it might be good I guess, I doubt it though.

People recommending project gorgon are the same sort of people that recommend shower with your dad simulator or EDF2097. Yes they love it but they also are mentally handicapped.

The best MMO is not playing an mmo because none of them are any good anymore. Either that or play destiny, its actually a lot less poo poo now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm gonna go against the grain here and strongly recommend against Final Fantasy XIV. I couldn't stand the gated content and forced group interaction to progress. If you can't get into a competent pubbie group, or just can't get anyone to find the time to help you get through content then you can find yourself stuck and unable to progress. The way FFXIV is paced, the backtracking, and horrible filler content makes the game really unappealing unless you're really into MMORPGs and want to throw yourself into a very slow moving storyline.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Destiny is a MMOlike where you pve to your hearts content in a sorry rear end excuse for a storyline, and you don't have to suffer terrible MMO features like talking to people or pressing hotkeys 1 through alt+9. If that's somehow not enough, your mount is the Star Wars hoverbike, and you can be a robotman with a mohawk.

You're going to need two consoles, but hey, it's cheaper than two computers. You could even say it's a bargain!

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 8, 2016

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Tanners posted:

You could always try to check out some WoW private servers. They certainly wont be prettier than Wrath era WoW, but youll get to experience content you may have missed out from before then. Additionally theres the perk of them being free. If youre interested in Vanilla at all theres a couple decent ones available, and a Burning Crusade one is set to drop later next month.

If you played WoW and are looking for a WoW-like itch, nothing really does it better than WoW itself.

e: someone mentioned Project Gorgon in here earlier and I wanna second that that game is amazing, if a little ugly.

I have a wow-like itch but a powerful aversion to wow itself. Basically I'm not interested in any of the free oldschool private wow/everquest/warhammer/whatever servers.

Furnaceface posted:

FFXIV is great but gets grindy as hell due to the gating system around the main story and some odd levels where you can actually run out of quests, forcing you to chain run dungeons to move on. The amount of hoops you need to jump through just to get from base game to expansion content ended up driving me away since it just gets harder and harder to find people doing the old content. Yda and Papalymo were awesome though so Id at least recommend getting through the base story if you chose the game.

I'm actually not too fussed about chainrunning dungeons, as they're basically my favourite part of MMOing - do the main story becuase ~plot~, do dungeons for fast leveling and fat loot

Byolante posted:

Don't play ff14 if you are only jumping in now. You have literally 2 years of solo questing to do to even unlock the expansion content and a lot of it is dumb and unfun garbage, the highs are very high but the lows are very frequent. The interface is horrendous and the GCD is glacial, especially if you are already acclimated to WoW or even worse GW2.

Someone weigh in on this though, because while I can handle paying one's dues to get the endgame, I do want to actually end up there at some point. I'm not worried about top-tier raiding, but I'd like to at least hit a point where maybe I could be considered for entry level raiding or whatever.

Byolante posted:

People recommending project gorgon are the same sort of people that recommend shower with your dad simulator or EDF2097. Yes they love it but they also are mentally handicapped.

Yeah I figured. I've never been much for ironically fun games.

Mr.PayDay posted:

:catdrugs:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

Someone weigh in on this though, because while I can handle paying one's dues to get the endgame, I do want to actually end up there at some point. I'm not worried about top-tier raiding, but I'd like to at least hit a point where maybe I could be considered for entry level raiding or whatever.

You can make it to FFXIV's current endgame in less than two months of casual play, probably two or three weeks if you poopsock it.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

ChickenWing posted:

I'm actually not too fussed about chainrunning dungeons, as they're basically my favourite part of MMOing - do the main story becuase ~plot~, do dungeons for fast leveling and fat loot

FF14 is cool and good but you have to do the linear story and its like 100 hours of pointless poo poo before you can unlock like the current raids or whatever. It's cool if you do it when it's current but you get to the point where if you run a few dungeons (since the daily bonus is so large, you'll want to) you end up like 5 levels ahead of your current story-line quest, and if you do any of the nearby sidequests you get even farther ahead of it.

That's not necessarily a bad thing (because it makes leveling pretty fast) but you just get to the point where you're doing nothing but running around for the main story, killing poo poo 5 levels below you and the quests are like, "go here kill 5 mobs bring me 1 rock" for 80 hours. Hitting the old, pre-expansion level cap and having to do all of that content before you can go to the expansion is stupid.

It's a good game but the linear story is a drag - not because the story is bad (if you like FF it's fine), but because you have to do 100% of it.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

Going from 1 to 50 isn't too bad (actually it's fairly painless even without sidequests considering they boosted main story exp), but when you hit 50 and complete the two 8 player story dungeons, you hit a wall where there were several patches of content (patches 2.1 - 2.5, 5 content patches) and story quests that you have to complete before you can push into the expansion content.

The first couple of patches (2.1, 2.2) were specifically bad, where not much actually happens in the plot, and there's not much but a lot of running around going on. At least there are still cool fights going on occasionally though? Things pick up as you approach 2.4's story content, but it's a real drag at first.

Good news is that they added exp and equipment rewards to all of these quests, so by the time you get to the expansion, you're easily appropriately geared for it.

Basically, if you expect to just jet up to the level cap like WoW allows you to do now, you're going to be disappointed when you hit a content wall of "go talk to this guy" quests around level 50-51.

Willias fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 8, 2016

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Okay that sounds suboptimal, but not dealbreaking and probably way less awful than literally everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

If you replace "Best" with "Virtually non existent and generally bad" then yes. It's the leveling that's best in the industry.

• Locked thread