Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Goddamn, Trevor had a great bit at the end. Pretty gutsy to do an unflattering impression 2 feet from your target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

TDS needs more of that. That was great :allears:

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
I just can't imagine clapping for anything Ben Carson would say.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pillow Hat posted:

I just can't imagine clapping for anything Ben Carson would say.

Most of the poo poo he said was as :psyduck: level gobbledygook as his bit about grain silo pyramids. Nations fall after 200 years, what?

On the subject of Ben Carson and saying really dumb poo poo, too bad he was on TDS yesterday because this would have given them a bit to talk about :
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/04/20/ben-carson-harriet-tubman-dollar-two-twenty/83301140/

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Not sure what to think of country Nirvana.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Give me that Big Dick Black :lol:

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

I use to watch TDS while getting ready for work when Jon was still the host. Once they changed I gave the new host a chance but it seemed like every joke/story was race related and got old quick. I'm back on third my old work schedule and was thinking about giving it another go. Is it still like that now or are things more focused back on politics?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Desi Lydic stealing 20bux is a good gag.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

I use to watch TDS while getting ready for work when Jon was still the host. Once they changed I gave the new host a chance but it seemed like every joke/story was race related and got old quick. I'm back on third my old work schedule and was thinking about giving it another go. Is it still like that now or are things more focused back on politics?

I've watched every episode since the beginning and the only times it was heavily race related was when the news of the day was heavily race related. It's been overwhelmingly election related for the entire run so far.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Howard Dean is a sellout.

Bernie Sanders, he is not.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Are you talking about Larry Wilmore? Because that's the only way I could imagine "every joke/story was race related" being even remotely accurate.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

JazzFlight posted:

Well, there's an official cast recording album (...and a bootleg video recording that's pretty watchable, psst!), but other than that, it's one of those "pony up a couple hundred dollars and wait a year" types of musicals right now. It's definitely worth listening to if you haven't already.

It is frustrating though knowing that they won't record the play for a retail video release.
There was a Journey to the West done by Gorillaz that looked wicked in the trailers, but I don't know if it'll ever end up as something I can rent or buy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT0tBKB2_PA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL3HOVBgOQs

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Desi Lydic stealing 20bux is a good gag.

Yeah, that was a great gag in subverting expectations. You were waiting for the typical Daily Show mocking questions or something and then its just "wait... did she pocket that $20?"

I'm glad she's back. Along with Roy White I think she was one of the more positive changes post-Stewart.

GutBomb posted:

I've watched every episode since the beginning and the only times it was heavily race related was when the news of the day was heavily race related. It's been overwhelmingly election related for the entire run so far.

If there's any difference its that Noah's perspective is naturally different from Stewart's on race subjects. Like, this last episode did a segment on Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill. That's a subject Stewart might have covered too but Noah comes at it from the perspective of a black person and adds some stuff from his South African background. Like, this works in the same way that when Stewart did a story that involved New York or maybe Jewish people he had a different perspective on it and handled it differently than Noah does now. Noah's unlikely to break out into a mock yiddish stereotype or freak out over pizza.

So, I don't know. If you're sensitive to race stuff than I guess Noah might seem more "race related" simply because you're seeing things through the eyes of a mixed race South African man instead of a Jewish NYer's. But I don't think the content focus has changed at all.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 22, 2016

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I'm glad she's back. Along with Roy White I think she was one of the more positive changes post-Stewart.

:raise: Roy Wood Jr.?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I forgot to watch the episode on 4/20 but then I saw they had Sturgill Simpson. The cover of In Bloom was cute but uninspired, he'd have done a lot better with 'Turtles All the Way Down', especially on 4/20. Sturgill Simpson ranks up there with Joe Rogan for "does a lot of mind-altering poo poo".

But yeah if you don't mind a country twang, Sturgill Simpson is hilarious and sharp as hell.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

raditts posted:

Are you talking about Larry Wilmore? Because that's the only way I could imagine "every joke/story was race related" being even remotely accurate.

No it was the Daily Show. I would have it playing in the background and it really seemed like every single joke or story was a racial issue when the change happened

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No it was the Daily Show. I would have it playing in the background and it really seemed like every single joke or story was a racial issue when the change happened

Not really.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Not really.

Why are there so many stories about non-white people :bahgawd:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sorry. Been watching a lot of baseball.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Not really.

Maybe I'll give it another go on Monday then

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Where can I see that martial arts movie?

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Crippled Masters!!! :rock:

There's a few uploads on Youtube. I bought a pair of "jade" horses while in Hong Kong and gave them to my kung-fu watching buddy because of this movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
man colbert is blaaaaaaand and spineless as gently caress now...good job with that WHO WOULD WIN DUMBLEDORE OR OPTIMUS PRIME poo poo and the Beyonce jokes, I guess. Is that celebrity deathmatch level poo poo actually a reoccurring bit? Yikes. Who's gonna give the gently caress about the LATE NIGHT LEGACY OF DAVID LETTERDUDE in like 30 years. No one under like 32 in 2016 cares about it.

Hopefully in a few years one of these Stewart/Colbert successors are strong enough to carry on the flame. Noah, Bee, and Oliver are all pretty decent, but they all have their own various flaws, need more growth, etc. It'll take time. I can still barely tolerate Nightly because man are so many of the correspondents still total garbage. Did Larry not get any of the TDS writers or talent? It just seems inferior on so many levels.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 28, 2016

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

jojoinnit posted:

It takes ages for major movies to leak usually and a major show like Mormon or Hamilton is a hell of a lot harder to sneakily film.

Because the entire usher staff is instructed to be watching for shitheads doing that.

I work in theaters that play shows like this. Don't try and pull this poo poo. It's a pain in my rear end.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Steve Vader posted:

Because the entire usher staff is instructed to be watching for shitheads doing that.

I work in theaters that play shows like this. Don't try and pull this poo poo. It's a pain in my rear end.

Do the needful and pull an inside job.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm surprised people aren't using modern spy tech and recording through their "glasses" or something.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

Do the needful...

Every time I get an email at work asking me to "kindly do the needful," I know immediately it's someone who wants me to do something that 1) isn't my job at all, and 2) shouldn't be done because it's against procedure and will likely lead to a spectacular quality defect of some kind.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
Trump Rap was excellent

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Afro posted:

Trump Rap was excellent

That was the best transposition of political quotes since William Shatner reading Palin tweets as beat poetry.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Okay... Larry was pretty fired up about Dennis Hastert's lenient sentence and his dumb "don't punish me I'M OLD" act in court.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Echo Chamber posted:

Okay... Larry was pretty fired up about Dennis Hastert's lenient sentence and his dumb "don't punish me I'M OLD" act in court.

Were you not?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Hastert didn't get any leniency though. The Judge went beyond the plea recommendation and noted that he wished he could give an even harsher penalty. Unfortunately the statute of limitations was up for the child molestation so all they could get him for was lying to the FBI and some low level banking crimes.

Personally I'm way more pissed off at all the loving poo poo stains who actually wrote letters to the court asking for leniency for that fat piece of poo poo. I'd hope they burned in Hell for such a thing, but they all were already in possession of first class tickets on the ferry.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Trump Rap was amazing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

MariusLecter posted:

Were you not?
Just pointing out when Larry's hitting the nail on the head, which doesn't happen as much as we want it to.

The WHCD with Larry was tonight. I'll get around to watching it later.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 1, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

His WHCD speech was pretty good I thought, but he had to follow up Obama's speech which he had no chance of measuring up to.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

raditts posted:

His WHCD speech was pretty good I thought, but he had to follow up Obama's speech which he had no chance of measuring up to.

Some of Larry's material was great, though too many of the jokes were setup by horrible cliches (Obama so old, hair so white etc etc).

That said, it's absolutely staggering to me that Obama literally has better comedic timing than a supposed comic. Completely ignoring the quality of the jokes, Larry kept stumbling and mumbling the entire way through.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Larry was nervous as all get out. Obama is literally one of his heroes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Shakugan posted:

That said, it's absolutely staggering to me that Obama literally has better comedic timing than a supposed comic.
Pretty understandable, Obama has spent eight years working with a bunch of clowns.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

^^^^^
HEYOOOOOOO

Shakugan posted:

Some of Larry's material was great, though too many of the jokes were setup by horrible cliches (Obama so old, hair so white etc etc).

That said, it's absolutely staggering to me that Obama literally has better comedic timing than a supposed comic. Completely ignoring the quality of the jokes, Larry kept stumbling and mumbling the entire way through.

I would argue that Obama has better comedic timing than a lot of comics today. He has incredible presence.

I'm already seeing a bunch of grumbling about how Larry ended his speech though. Amusingly enough, it's mostly from white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Watching Obama and Wilmore's speeches now.

Oh god, Larry's Blitzer burn. It wasn't even a joke. It's just "Why are you still on TV?" :wow:

• Locked thread