Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
It would be a shame if he didn't get one under 185 (or settles with him somehow).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
the whole idea of a beleidigungsklage is dumb

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

It is not and serves a very value purpose. (To answer with as much effort and quality as you put in your post.)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

blowfish posted:

Andere Ansicht: Claudia Roth.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

blowfish posted:

your mom is dumb

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

It is not and serves a very value purpose. (To answer with as much effort and quality as you put in your post.)

Unless someone's mean words do some level of damage beyond ":cry: muh feelings:qq:" (like inciting violence) it is, in fact, dumb that courts need to bother with that poo poo.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Huge Böhmi fan here. Pretty confident the lawsuit won't go very far. Even if the poem is not satire itself, it was recited in the context of a piece regarding Erdogan's censorship on a mild extra3 song about him, which was clearly satirical.

He just announced on Facebook that he's taking some time off TV. I just hope this mess doesn't keep him away for very long.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Speaking of which, how is the Internet connection in german prisons?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

blowfish posted:

Unless someone's mean words do some level of damage beyond ":cry: muh feelings:qq:" (like inciting violence) it is, in fact, dumb that courts need to bother with that poo poo.

In case you missed the memo, German law considers "feelings" tangible. In fact, the very first one says so. Also, while not incite, insults can cause violence. Going through courts prevents that.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

poty posted:

Huge Böhmi fan here. Pretty confident the lawsuit won't go very far. Even if the poem is not satire itself, it was recited in the context of a piece regarding Erdogan's censorship on a mild extra3 song about him, which was clearly satirical.

He just announced on Facebook that he's taking some time off TV. I just hope this mess doesn't keep him away for very long.

Well, there are several problems with that argument, beginning with the fact that only the poem had subtitles in Turkish and that the poem was very sexual, an area in which the Bundesverfassungsgericht has often decided that the victims 1GG rights are more important than the artists 5GG rights. I think the case can really go either way.

I just hope that people understand that Chomsky's quote about freedom of speech

quote:

Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech.

Has to be inverted in this case, which means if you place certain limits on free speech, your commitment to them needs to be the strongest if you agree with the intention of the author to insult a person. Defending Böhmermann is not fighting for freedom of speech but it's pandering to a certain audience, a real fight for freedom of speech would be if you defended idiots from the AfD posting bullshit on Facebook, but in that area the SPD has very different ideas.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

In case you missed the memo, German law considers "feelings" tangible. In fact, the very first one says so. Also, while not incite, insults can cause violence. Going through courts prevents that.

The concept of Menschenwürde being extended to also cover something as inconsequential as personal feelings is also dumb.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Just saying "xxx is dumb" does not make a convincing argument. It sounds rather poor honestly.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

Just saying "xxx is dumb" does not make a convincing argument. It sounds rather poor honestly.

The entire question is about a value judgement, which is whether mere insults should be punishable even if they do no damage beyond being an insult. There are no objective arguments to be made for or against this.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I do believe an objective discussion about this can be had, if one is willing to have one. For example you mentioned damage resulting from speech as being an important factor and mentioned hate speech as something you consider legitimately illegal. Now consider that hate speech is illegal even when it does not result in damage. And lastly consider that insults carry a similar potential to result in damage (how many brawls, shootings, feuds, wars have there been over such).

Don't you think it makes sense to sort these two types of speech in the similar category of speech that has (different, though real) potential to cause damage.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Mithaldu posted:

I do believe an objective discussion about this can be had, if one is willing to have one. For example you mentioned damage resulting from speech as being an important factor and mentioned hate speech as something you consider legitimately illegal. Now consider that hate speech is illegal even when it does not result in damage. And lastly consider that insults carry a similar potential to result in damage (how many brawls, shootings, feuds, wars have there been over such).

Don't you think it makes sense to sort these two types of speech in the similar category of speech that has (different, though real) potential to cause damage.

Die meisten Straftatbestände, die umgangssprachlich "hate speech" sanktionieren schützen abstrakte Interessen der Allgemeinheit (öffentl. Ordnung) und nicht die Partikularinteressen der Gruppe, gegen die gehated wird.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Und der Endeffekt bei 185 ist derselbe.

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

Mithaldu posted:

It would be a shame if he didn't get one under 185 (or settles with him somehow).

Just to clarify, with "one" do you mean, that it would be a shame if he wasn't prosecuted or if he wasn't found guilty?

If the former, because you hope for a discussion about this law (and change) or because you hope he's found guilty.
If the latter, AfD-Wähler, Saarländer or türkischer Nationalist? Show us, where did the thin, pale guy touch you(r honor)?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

goethe42 posted:

AfD-Wähler, Saarländer or türkischer Nationalist?

Por que no los tres?

I'm sure there are one or two

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

He will get prosecuted under 185 (unless 103 gets to veto that) and i think it should be a guilty verdict, since he quite explicitly intended to break that law and i see no interpretation in which it could be satire. I also don't give a poo poo who is on which side. If it were two Germans or literally any other constellation my position would be unchanged.

I find that law valuable due to various factors and support its correct application.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Mithaldu posted:

He will get prosecuted under 185 (unless 103 gets to veto that) and i think it should be a guilty verdict, since he quite explicitly intended to break that law and i see no interpretation in which it could be satire. I also don't give a poo poo who is on which side. If it were two Germans or literally any other constellation my position would be unchanged.

I find that law valuable due to various factors and support its correct application.

103 will overwrite 185 for the time being, not that it makes much of a difference, given that the actual crime is the same unless you want to dispute Erdogan's status as a person protected under 103. The potential penalty might be a bit harsher, but I doubt Böhmermann will care too much about the difference, given that it will most likely be just a fine.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

And lastly consider that insults carry a similar potential to result in damage (how many brawls, shootings, feuds, wars have there been over such).

If fighting words are enough to make you start an actual physical fight, it's you who should be fined.

az
Dec 2, 2005

§185 and §103 are terrible and hugely problematic relics because Beleidigung and the concept of Ehre are not gesetzesbestimmt and clash with §1, among other things. Nullum crimen sine lege should apply here, as should In dubio pro libertate, and the best thing that could come out of this farce is a modernisation, with proper definitions, of these laws. Hopefully one that doesn't create 200k cases a year of more than questionably motivated suits. And trying to hide behind Art 1 GG in this is silly because it's shooting sparrows with cannons and this thing is entirely an StGB centric circus.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

az posted:

§185 and §103 are terrible and hugely problematic relics because Beleidigung and the concept of Ehre are not gesetzesbestimmt [...] And trying to hide behind Art 1 GG in this is silly because it's shooting sparrows with cannons and this thing is entirely an StGB centric circus.

a good opinion

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

blowfish posted:

a good opinion

Wie stehst Du dazu, dass die Polizei in Rechte von Bürgern eingreifen kann, wenn Sie die öffentliche Sicherheit und Ordnung in Gefahr sieht? Das ist nämlich um einiges schwammiger formuliert als "Beleidigung" oder "Ehre".

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Randler posted:

Wie stehst Du dazu, dass die Polizei in Rechte von Bürgern eingreifen kann, wenn Sie die öffentliche Sicherheit und Ordnung in Gefahr sieht? Das ist nämlich um einiges schwammiger formuliert als "Beleidigung" oder "Ehre".

In general, laws should be well-defined.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

AfD now trying to get on the anti-Muslim bandwagon (just 15 years late, so pretty progressive by their standards):

"Wir sind ein christlich-laizistisches Land"

You could make a case for Christian, but Germany isn't a laicist country at all. Church tax! State-sponsored religious education! Religious symbols in state buildings. I thought the AfD was the party of professors, now it's the party of not knowing what words mean.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

pidan posted:

You could make a case for Christian, but Germany isn't a laicist country at all. Church tax! State-sponsored religious education! Religious symbols in state buildings. I thought the AfD was the party of professors, now it's the party of not knowing what words mean.

I thought all the professors got the gently caress out when they noticed their anti-euro and vaguely reactionary regressive party turned into the blatant xenophobe idiot party for people generally angry about arbitrary things.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

blowfish posted:

I thought all the professors got the gently caress out when they noticed their anti-euro and vaguely reactionary regressive party turned into the blatant xenophobe idiot party for people generally angry about arbitrary things.

Yep, they are now mostly in ALFA (the new Lucke party). The AfD on the other hand is morphing into your run of the mill right-wing populist party (think FN, FPÖ, Wilders).

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

pidan posted:

AfD now trying to get on the anti-Muslim bandwagon (just 15 years late, so pretty progressive by their standards):

"Wir sind ein christlich-laizistisches Land"

"Now"? The AfD hasn't been on the anti-muslim bandwagon, they're driving the loving thing! Where have you been the last 12 months?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

:siren: :biotruths: :siren:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Oh wait lmao I got it the wrong way around:

quote:

Der 67. Ord. Bundesparteitag der Freien Demokraten steht unter dem Motto Beta Republik Deutschland. Der Gedanke dahinter: Auch bei der Digitalisierung stehen wir für German Mut. Das heißt: Ausprobieren. Austesten. Auch wenn es nicht sofort perfekt ist. Beta eben.

Germany is vaporware imo

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Something something cuck meme

e: nice

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Smirr posted:

Oh wait lmao I got it the wrong way around:

Germany is vaporware imo

"German Mut" is the dumbest loving slogan.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

und 4,8 Prozent der Stimmen kriegen.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Germany is beta, I agree. Just not the way they meant.

Of course it's retarded; it's Germany's lolbertarians.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iLKjv2Sz04

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Those can't be real right

Are they just trying to be rich Piraten or something

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

I think it's the other way around, Piraten are now trying to be rich. Considering that several former members of them changed over to the FDP.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Drone posted:

Those can't be real right

Are they just trying to be rich Piraten or something

Kinda but not completely:

Also there's some pretty kickass stuff in the Anträge:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Nice to see the FDP is still poo poo. FDP - the Manure Party. :lol: