Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

EdEddnEddy posted:

Why does Anyone (Everyone) seem to still be using MSI Afterburner.

Afterburner hasn't been good since the 500 series era or earlier.

Switch to EVGA Precision and watch nearly all the Clock/Fan problems disappear since it actually works.

Doesn't work with AMD hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

EdEddnEddy posted:

Why does Anyone (Everyone) seem to still be using MSI Afterburner.

Afterburner hasn't been good since the 500 series era or earlier.

Switch to EVGA Precision and watch nearly all the Clock/Fan problems disappear since it actually works.

Well, MSI Afterburners works well enough from what I've seen, and the other thing is that it works on all GTX and Radeon cards. I think EVGA only works on NVidia cards, since EVGA doesn't do Radeon? If someone got used to using it on Radeon they might keep it around when they get a GTX card.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I also just want to mention how amazingly well my dual-fan Asus 290X is running Dark Souls 3 at max settings and 2560x1080p60 with FreeSync. It's glorious and should keep me held over until these new GPUs finally drop.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

After the poo poo EVGA pulled with Unwinder, I'd recommend Afterburner just on principle alone

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I thought I had to use MSI Afterburner because I have a MSI card :v:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Zero VGS posted:

I also just want to mention how amazingly well my dual-fan Asus 290X is running Dark Souls 3 at max settings and 2560x1080p60 with FreeSync. It's glorious and should keep me held over until these new GPUs finally drop.

My triple fan 980ti is running 2560x1090p61 with double freesync (gsync) but its not good enough and I'm throwing my computer in the trash and waiting for the next gpus

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm moving from the US (yay computer prices) to Canada (:suicide:) in August. I'm going to be able to buy Pascal consumer GPUs before I go, right? Please?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
surely someone can just ship it as a gift to you?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fauxtool posted:

surely someone can just ship it as a gift to you?

that's not an answer to my question, mister

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My buddy at nvidia is annoyingly tight lipped about it. I'm gonna say no.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

My buddy at nvidia is annoyingly tight lipped about it. I'm gonna say no.

Doesn't sound like your buddy is your buddy.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Imaginary buddies are still buddies! :argh:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Subjunctive posted:

I'm moving from the US (yay computer prices) to Canada (:suicide:) in August. I'm going to be able to buy Pascal consumer GPUs before I go, right? Please?

Best guess is computex.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought I had to use MSI Afterburner because I have a MSI card :v:

All the oc utilities use the same rivatuner back end i believe.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

All the oc utilities use the same rivatuner back end i believe.

EVGA Precision doesn't use the Rivatuner core anymore, but on modern NV cards the implementation barely matters since NVAPI provides a high level interface for clocks/volts and the driver handles all the messy details of actually setting them.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So here's my random question: I have a 21:9 LG (2560x1080) monitor that supports FreeSync. I am, however, currently on dual 760s. Obviously I'm looking to upgrade at some point (probably after the new lines are released). If, all other performance/price things being equal (even though, realistically, they won't be), would FreeSync be enough, in your opinion, to tip the scales in favor of going AMD this time around?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Gonkish posted:

So here's my random question: I have a 21:9 LG (2560x1080) monitor that supports FreeSync. I am, however, currently on dual 760s. Obviously I'm looking to upgrade at some point (probably after the new lines are released). If, all other performance/price things being equal (even though, realistically, they won't be), would FreeSync be enough, in your opinion, to tip the scales in favor of going AMD this time around?

Price/Perfromance is usually reasonably close. What's the freesync range on that screen?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Gonkish posted:

Id say so

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The price delta (sometimes the price gulf) between G-Sync and FreeSync can make the difference. In some classes of monitor I can buy an entire GTX 970 for the difference between the G-Sync and FreeSync versions of what is otherwise the same monitor.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Adaptive sync is great, as someone with the same monitor, yes it is worth it to go AMD. Several hundred bucks difference to go G-Sync, and while Nvidia tends to win on software and power efficiency, AMD still have some tricks up their sleeves like the DX12/Vulkan stuff.

But basically yeah, if you already have a FreeSync monitor, that's as good of a tie breaker as you're going to get.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

LiquidRain posted:

The price delta (sometimes the price gulf) between G-Sync and FreeSync can make the difference. In some classes of monitor I can buy an entire GTX 970 for the difference between the G-Sync and FreeSync versions of what is otherwise the same monitor.

Yeah I'm hoping Nvidia sort this out I can't really see Gsync as being several hundred dollars better than freesync.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

they could just use adaptive sync, butttttt

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

they could just use adaptive sync, butttttt

They've invested a hell of a lot into Gsync, they're going to ride it until the wheels come off or AMD goes bankrupt and there is no alternative.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
AMD just jumped 25% :hellyeah:

made :tenbux:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Oh mah lordy, 7970s hitting $150+ on eBay. Must be from the mining thing still? So tempted to sell mine that I paid $200 for two years ago to make it 'free' but there's no way I'm going GPU-less until the next gen launches. Hell maybe I should check out this dumb mining surge since I have the card anyway, lol.

e: But oshit maybe that makes it perfect timing to get even more a discount on a 980ti; no way the next gen will be as good as 150+ off an already discounted 980ti.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 22, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Malcolm XML posted:

AMD just jumped 25% :hellyeah:

made :tenbux:

I really should have thrown some money at them when they were around a dollar, drat. I'll weep if they hit 10$ or something in the next month, both because I did not throw down money and because it's about time good things happened for AMD.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist
In AMD's earnings call last night, they stated that they've got 3 SoC wins that will be worth $1.5B over the next few years, and that they were gaming related.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/04/amd-promises-three-new-gaming-processors-coming-soon-is-one-for-xbox/

Speculation is on which consoles it is. PS is kind of assumed, but maybe Nintendo also?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Durinia posted:

In AMD's earnings call last night, they stated that they've got 3 SoC wins that will be worth $1.5B over the next few years, and that they were gaming related.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/04/amd-promises-three-new-gaming-processors-coming-soon-is-one-for-xbox/

Speculation is on which consoles it is. PS is kind of assumed, but maybe Nintendo also?

Does the Sulon Q count or am I misunderstanding that thing?

Also got a couple Chinese HPC and server contracts in the bag for Zen, so they're looking stable/not in the red now.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Durinia posted:

Why wouldn't all three consoles go with them again if it worked well enough the last time?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

Why wouldn't all three consoles go with them again if it worked well enough the last time?

Intel offering? It'd be weird because why would intel care, but Nintendo could go with PowerVR again and they'd need Intel processors for that.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Zero VGS posted:

I imagine Intel puts in a bid with something even if they dont "care". No harm in throwing something out there, but I doubt it'd be discounted in any significant way since again they dont really care so the choice is probably obvious

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

FaustianQ posted:

Intel offering? It'd be weird because why would intel care, but Nintendo could go with PowerVR again and they'd need Intel processors for that.

I feel like Nintendo is finally shaking the stigma of underpowered hardware, not sure if they'd be wise to reinvite that.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

I feel like Nintendo is finally shaking the stigma of underpowered hardware, not sure if they'd be wise to reinvite that.

I don't think PowerVR is explicitly weaker than Radeon though? If PowerVR can do their ray tracing gimmick in a solid FP32 design while undercutting AMD significantly, why not go for some Haswell cores and a PowerVR GPU?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

teh_Broseph posted:

Oh mah lordy, 7970s hitting $150+ on eBay. Must be from the mining thing still? So tempted to sell mine that I paid $200 for two years ago to make it 'free' but there's no way I'm going GPU-less until the next gen launches. Hell maybe I should check out this dumb mining surge since I have the card anyway, lol.

e: But oshit maybe that makes it perfect timing to get even more a discount on a 980ti; no way the next gen will be as good as 150+ off an already discounted 980ti.

So like a $380 980ti? That's probably a solid choice even with fairly lofty expectations of performance per dollar for next gen. Feature wise though, I dont know, depends how Pascal performs with DX12 and if Maxwell is unfixable

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Sorry for nearly spamming the thread at this point, but asking for a friend who's budget is really low and ebaying a card: low profile R5 240 vs HD7570? Replacing their current setup isn't an option, and they're running an HD5450 so literally anything is better (it's chugging on 1080p and flash games, let alone a handful of steam games they play), but I'm iffy on recommending a R5 230 (or any VLIW card) or GT 720, but they'll get more oomph out of the 7570 compared to the R5 240. Budget is 40$.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

FaustianQ posted:

I really should have thrown some money at them when they were around a dollar, drat. I'll weep if they hit 10$ or something in the next month, both because I did not throw down money and because it's about time good things happened for AMD.

tbh i literally only made :tenbucks: since i threw some dividend earnings at them

in all honesty this is a make or break year for them with zen and polaris.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

FaustianQ posted:

Sorry for nearly spamming the thread at this point, but asking for a friend who's budget is really low and ebaying a card: low profile R5 240 vs HD7570? Replacing their current setup isn't an option, and they're running an HD5450 so literally anything is better (it's chugging on 1080p and flash games, let alone a handful of steam games they play), but I'm iffy on recommending a R5 230 (or any VLIW card) or GT 720, but they'll get more oomph out of the 7570 compared to the R5 240. Budget is 40$.

Someone will have to double check me, but why not look at something like a GTX 460. They periodically sell for ~$40 on ebay and they seem to be much faster than the other cards you're talking about. Granted they're quite old at this point.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
In terms of Gsync, maybe it depends on the monitor, but with my Acer Predator the ghosting on the monitor was so bothersome I had to turn Gsync off and turn on Ultra Low Motion Blur instead and go with a fixed 144 refresh rate. The thing is I don't even notice a difference, still no frame-tearing and no more ghosting to boot.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Swartz posted:

In terms of Gsync, maybe it depends on the monitor, but with my Acer Predator the ghosting on the monitor was so bothersome I had to turn Gsync off and turn on Ultra Low Motion Blur instead and go with a fixed 144 refresh rate. The thing is I don't even notice a difference, still no frame-tearing and no more ghosting to boot.

When I was using a Predator I've got to admit I didn't notice that much of an improvement with Gsync compared to what everyone else was saying they noticed and the Nvidia promo vids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Naffer posted:

Someone will have to double check me, but why not look at something like a GTX 460. They periodically sell for ~$40 on ebay and they seem to be much faster than the other cards you're talking about. Granted they're quite old at this point.

Never seen a low profile GTX 460?