Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

If someone had my grandfather tortured I probably wouldn't want a bust of them in my office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Comically enough technically he isn't. He was born a citizen of the United States of America. In New York, to be precise. He holds dual citizenship but his whole "guilt by country association" is pretty funny given he's half a citizen of a colony that fought a revolution to get out of Britain.

And they didn't keep him; just another of America's many crimes.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

So an American immigrant that is best buds with an Australian immigrant that is responsible for an awful lot of decision-making in this country, usually objectively for the worse, doesn't like it when an American-Kenyan makes a suggestion about what he thinks is best for the future of the country.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Tesseraction posted:

I think the problem is suggesting that someone born in the US and having only visited post-colonial Kenya probably doesn't have some melanin-carried hatred for the perfidious Churchill.

It's basically saying "his Kenyan blood makes him irrational"

I'd guess an awareness of/interest in his ancestry is probably likely to make him aware of how criminally the British behaved in Kenya. That's definitely a good thing tho.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/libdems/status/723466513521496064

:suicide:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tesseraction posted:

Comically enough technically he isn't. He was born a citizen of the United States of America. In New York, to be precise. He holds dual citizenship but his whole "guilt by country association" is pretty funny given he's half a citizen of a colony that fought a revolution to get out of Britain.

He doesn't hold duel citizenship any more, he dropped his American one for tax reasons.

You're the only person here who thinks the Liberal Democrats aren't a poo poo parody of a political party

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Miftan posted:

I've seen foreign PMs fly into Luton before.

What a depressing first impression of the UK.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He doesn't hold duel citizenship any more, he dropped his American one for tax reasons.

Ahhhh I was wondering how he got out of that kerfuffle.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You're the only person here who thinks the Liberal Democrats aren't a poo poo parody of a political party

I was going to change this to *former until I realised you said 'parody of'

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

A libdem story

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Looks like Fartrage is weighing in, and for once he's being somewhat reasona-

Nigel Farage posted:

Look, I know his family’s background. Kenya. Colonialism. There is clearly something going on there. It’s just that you know people emerge from colonialism with different views of the Britsh. Some thought that they were really rather benign and rather good, and others saw them as foreign invaders.Obama’s family come from that second school of thought and it hasn’t quite left him yet.

Oh.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Barry Foster posted:

Oh.

The fact there are british people that know what colonialism is and still respond with "what's the problem" is amazing

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

Only one of these groups were correct though.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Spangly A posted:

The fact there are british people that know what colonialism is and still respond with "what's the problem" is amazing

The number of people I've met who start unironically quoting back the 'What have the romans ever done for us?' bit from Life of Brian when the subject comes up makes me want to be buried alive

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

makes me want to be buried alive

In solidarity with the colonial victims who literally had that happen?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

In solidarity with the colonial victims who literally had that happen?

Some of those buried alive, tortured, robbed and shot might have wanted it to happen and considered it benign and good actually.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Puntification posted:

Some of those buried alive, tortured, robbed and shot might have wanted it to happen and considered it benign and good actually.

Well, yeah.

Don't kinkshame.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I wonder if he will say that since Sadiq Khan was born into a family of Pakistani immigrants he will naturally hold grudges against Glorious Albion for the partition or something. By his logic the hysterical foreign-borns with their grudges shouldn't go about offering their opinions on things. That's for important chaps like Boris and Big Nige.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He hasn't yet - he keeps on threatening to, but the Americans are very disaproving of people who drop citizenship for tax reasons, and it looks like he'd have to pay all the taxes he owes to even be considered being allowed to.

Besides, BoJo is of partially Turkish descent - something he used to be really proud of until he decided he needed to lurch to the right to attract the Tory voters who may be upset by some of the left-ish noises he needed to make to be electorally viable in London.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Boris really thinks he is churchill

e: thats why hes so mad about the bust

Phoon fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 22, 2016

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, yeah.

Don't kinkshame.

I suppose if colonialism was just a munch that got out of hand it does explain the uniforms.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Phoon posted:

they do have similarly ridiculous jowls

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Phoon posted:

he'd be more entertaining if he was also a massive alcoholic imo

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

who says he isn't?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

who says he isn't?

hard to maintain a habit on £300 bottles of claret

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

maybe that's where the London budget is going instead of improving the Underground

haakman
May 5, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac28Uc01T6I

I don't know what else to say about this other than bravo Sirs, bravo.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

J_RBG posted:

Maybe for your average pleb but this is a Tory you're talking about. He can take baths in the stuff.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Ddraig posted:

Maybe for your average pleb but this is a Tory you're talking about. He can take baths in the stuff.

I'd written that before I learnt he's raking it in off a Telegraph column

In a just world a Telegraph column would earn you a stick of liquorice and a pat on the head

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

In a just world it'd just earn you stick.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

J_RBG posted:

I'd written that before I learnt he's raking it in off a Telegraph column

He's called that "chicken feed" in the past, rescale your expectations of how much money the wealthy have

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

J_RBG posted:

At that much a hit you don't have a 'habit' you have a 'characterful eccentricity'.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

J_RBG posted:

I wonder if he will say that since Sadiq Khan was born into a family of Pakistani immigrants he will naturally hold grudges against Glorious Albion for the partition or something. By his logic the hysterical foreign-borns with their grudges shouldn't go about offering their opinions on things. That's for important chaps like Boris and Big Nige.

Nige, with the very definitely salt of the earth English surname Farage. Guy's got some skeletons in closets of his own.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ookiimarukochan posted:

He hasn't yet - he keeps on threatening to, but the Americans are very disaproving of people who drop citizenship for tax reasons, and it looks like he'd have to pay all the taxes he owes to even be considered being allowed to.

Besides, BoJo is of partially Turkish descent - something he used to be really proud of until he decided he needed to lurch to the right to attract the Tory voters who may be upset by some of the left-ish noises he needed to make to be electorally viable in London.

Not just turkish, he's got swiss and french in there somewhere as well. But also a king of Britain (George II) apparently, I was looking it up earlier.

He's magnificently loving hypocritical.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Nige, with the very definitely salt of the earth English surname Farage. Guy's got some skeletons in closets of his own.

Weirdly he's changed the pronunciation over the years. He used to
introduce himself rhyming his name with carriage

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
or garage

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

XMNN posted:

or garage

I worried over that one. We have a lot of toffs in here who don't say garage properly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I had a lot of trouble when the thread title was nigel farage barrage garage because it fits neither my pronunciation of garage or farage.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

nigel farej barej garaaaaarge surely?!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nigel Garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU