Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

CJacobs posted:

Not finding them satisfying is a matter of opinion and that's fine if you feel that way; what you said, however, was that the lore was muddled and that you weren't given proper motivation, neither of which is true.

Hell, I think this is the clearest motivation has been in the series. You wake up and the first people who will actually talk to you explain that your literally singular reason for existence is to get the lords back to their thrones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Bitches love the Nameless King crown :smug:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wagrid posted:

I think the only thing this wont cover you for is Warmth, which is way less appealing in this one since the Estus Flask is so good.

Warmth requiring 25 Faith is a great joke because that's exactly what Great Heal requires and that's a ton better. I'm sad because Warmth is a neat spell, but it's garbage this time.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I figured it would be especially brutal as a new player, since I don't know the combat system or where the beats are.

I love the atmosphere, just needed some reassurance and a few pointers, cause I've been on this earth a while and I'm not used to being this poo poo at a game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Toops posted:

Died 20 times in a row on first boss. Uninstalled. 0/10.

I'm just kidding, won't uninstall, but does anyone have any advice, or links to resources that aren't clickbait sites with enough ads to crash my flash player?

I'm playing a warrior class, and the issue seems to be movement/timing. I try to circle strafe around that rear end in a top hat and pick my spots to attack but you spend so much time not able to control your character (rolling or swinging), I usually get hit with his massive cleaves. Once he goes into ratface mode, it's over.

since you don't have a problem until second phase, get him to second phase

then

im sure what you are doing is what I did, and that was be too concerned about him hitting you

you are probably rolling really early and too often

be more deliberate with your rolling and try to wait a hair longer to actually do your rolls than you normally would

also don't stay kind of midrange from him, that 2nd phase is basically designed to gently caress people up at mid range, and you are far safer right up against him than you are staying a few steps away

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Ravenfood posted:

Its early on in the game, but I'm having some issues with the fancy-looking knights in the High Wall. I started as an assassin and the shield-piercer skill of the Estoc just seems worthless because it does so little damage and they counter, and I've lost the kick move. On the other hand, getting a good series of quick stabs can mulch their health if I don't whiff/they block. Is the shield-breaking stance skill for the longsword etc good enough to justify losing the quick stab? Or should I just get good at parries?

Parrys are a bitch in this game. It's pretty much dark souls 2 with the parrying window. Unfortunately the leather buckler sucks, it didn't really look like they added more frames to it.

I could be wrong but I rarely parry in this game.

Those knights I just roll backwards, and backstab them. I use the kick when they put up their shield. Is just me or is the sheild breaking riposte far more damaging than the backstab?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Quote is not edit.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

BillmasterCozb posted:

I know this is a lil' off topic, but isn't marriage a wonderful thing?

would stick sword in head/out of 10 is how I rate people now

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Its early on in the game, but I'm having some issues with the fancy-looking knights in the High Wall. I started as an assassin and the shield-piercer skill of the Estoc just seems worthless because it does so little damage and they counter, and I've lost the kick move. On the other hand, getting a good series of quick stabs can mulch their health if I don't whiff/they block. Is the shield-breaking stance skill for the longsword etc good enough to justify losing the quick stab? Or should I just get good at parries?

Shield Breaker absolutely sucks. You should get a 100% physical block shield as soon as possible (there's one past the second bonfire, the Silver Eagle Kite Shield, that requires 12 STR to use). Simply circle around them to the left with your shield up, then backstab them once their tracking is done. Sight parrying them with the Buckler is goddamn impossible for a regular human, although you can setup parry their two-hit left -> right combo with something like the Kite Shield or the Knight Shield.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Not finding them satisfying is a matter of opinion and that's fine if you feel that way; what you said, however, was that the lore was muddled and that you weren't given proper motivation, neither of which is true.

Are we really going to argue semantics? of course it my opinion that the story/lore wasn't satisfying. I wasn't, In my opinion, compared to DS I and II, given any motivation. And I feel that DS III is lacking on the story part compared to its predecessors,. But of course that just my opinion. I wasn't trying to state it as facts, so if you felt that from my statements, I apologies.

At least that how I see it.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Ravenfood posted:

Stance is a great skill - I switched weapons mid game just to have it. The longsword move set is really great. So yeah, switching to that for the knights is a good idea.

That said, the knights are standard From knights, in that they're meant to teach you the importance of parries and back stabs and their timing is too tricky so practising on them is a good idea.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Vermain posted:

Shield Breaker absolutely sucks. You should get a 100% physical block shield as soon as possible (there's one past the second bonfire, the Silver Eagle Kite Shield, that requires 12 STR to use). Simply circle around them to the left with your shield up, then backstab them once their tracking is done. Sight parrying them with the Buckler is goddamn impossible for a regular human, although you can setup parry their two-hit left -> right combo with something like the Kite Shield or the Knight Shield.
Gotcha. Sounds like the Estoc's got a lot of issues with shield-users then, since you basically just have to bait out their attacks. Shield Breaker sucks, they don't have a kick, etc. Still, can I keep using this thing or should I switch swords over? I've got a fire gem I wouldn't mind using on an early-game weapon while my scaling sucks, but I don't want to waste it if I'm going to abandon the estoc in a few levels anyhow.

Also, I just tried to coop phantom for the Boreal Valley deal and there was a completely impenetrable fogwall after the host ran in. Any help?

e: Alright, might as well check a longsword/shield quality-ish skillset out for a few.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Vermain posted:

Sight parrying them with the Buckler is goddamn impossible for a regular human

drat I'm good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Gotcha. Sounds like the Estoc's got a lot of issues with shield-users then, since you basically just have to bait out their attacks. Shield Breaker sucks, they don't have a kick, etc. Still, can I keep using this thing or should I switch swords over? I've got a fire gem I wouldn't mind using on an early-game weapon while my scaling sucks, but I don't want to waste it if I'm going to abandon the estoc in a few levels anyhow.

You can just roll (or strafe) behind them and backstab. Estoc is pretty good moveset-wise, does good damage and has a long range.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Harrow posted:

Warmth requiring 25 Faith is a great joke because that's exactly what Great Heal requires and that's a ton better. I'm sad because Warmth is a neat spell, but it's garbage this time.

This isn't exactly true. Great Heal is better than Warmth, but it's not a ton better. It's better when you don't have high faith, because the base heal is better than the other heals other than Soothing Sunlight. However, at high faith and with the miracle boosting equipment, regular, plain old Heal does just as good if not better a job relative to your HP. I 've been running with 25 Vigor, and a plain Heal miracle will heal me for roughly 60% or so of my life. Great Heal at that point is overkill and not worth the FP cost in comparison.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Toops posted:

Died 20 times in a row on first boss. Uninstalled. 0/10.

I'm just kidding, won't uninstall, but does anyone have any advice, or links to resources that aren't clickbait sites with enough ads to crash my flash player?

I'm playing a warrior class, and the issue seems to be movement/timing. I try to circle strafe around that rear end in a top hat and pick my spots to attack but you spend so much time not able to control your character (rolling or swinging), I usually get hit with his massive cleaves. Once he goes into ratface mode, it's over.

Roll under him and smash his butt. Soon, he'll start bounding around like a pissed off bull - roll to the left. He'll do this usually about three times. Then he'll wind up to do ice breath in which you charge up to him and stab him in his side. Repeat until a delicious shade of dead.

E; wait, the first, FIRST tut boss, or Vordt? I thought you meant Vordt. If not, well, remember for Vordt.

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 22, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Groovelord Neato posted:

also lol having poo poo connecting to a previous game in the same series isn't "nostalgia" it's a continuation of a story. this felt way more like an actual dark souls 2 (with ds2 being a side story) in terms of the narrative.

FEEBLE CURSED POSTER

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ravenfood posted:

Also, I just tried to coop phantom for the Boreal Valley deal and there was a completely impenetrable fogwall after the host ran in. Any help?

e: Alright, might as well check a longsword/shield quality-ish skillset out for a few.

Estoc is a great weapon. You can have some trouble with those shield knights (don't feel bad, they're easily the toughest enemy that early in the game) but if you just dodge around them and counter-hit, you can beat them. Or another strategy is if you have enough stamina (it does take alot) you can just wail on their shield over and over until their guard breaks, and then they're WIDE open for beating on. You may not be able to do that with your current stats though.

But hey try other weapons too, they're all fun. Lots of great variety.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Wagrid posted:

Dark Souls I is not the first game Demon's Souls is the first game and Dark Souls I mines it even more heavily than Dark Souls III mines Dark Souls I. Acting like Dark Souls I is super original is absurd - it isn't. It's great and my favourite, but it isn't original.

I don't know why people keep referencing games that were never released :confused:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Decrepus posted:

FEEBLE CURSED POSTER

I miss Straid

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

RBA Starblade posted:

I miss Straid

We all miss Straid.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I miss Straid

Anatolia's Mercenary is the cooler of the two. :colbert:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
My game keeps crashing right in the middle of levels. This is on PS4. What the gently caress.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Aldrich is kind of an rear end in a top hat. Is there a particular damage type he's weak to, because I'm doing fuckall with my sorceries and crystal sage rapier so I assume he's really resistant to magic. Great magic shield laughably neuters any attacks he can throw out, but I can't outlast him, especially once he hits his second form. From what I can tell, there's no summon sign either, so I'm on my own. Advice?

e: Maybe a raw weapon or something if it's physical. What's he weak to?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cicadas! posted:

Aldrich is kind of an rear end in a top hat. Is there a particular damage type he's weak to, because I'm doing fuckall with my sorceries and crystal sage rapier so I assume he's really resistant to magic. Great magic shield laughably neuters any attacks he can throw out, but I can't outlast him, especially once he hits his second form. From what I can tell, there's no summon sign either, so I'm on my own. Advice?

I think he's resistant to magic yeah, which makes sense because he uses magic. I switched from greater magic weapon to the carthus flame weapon for that fight. (Course he also uses fire so not sure if that really helped much)

Really though he's pretty easy once you learn to dodge his magic attacks and hit him in the tail.

If you go online there's tons of people co-oping that fight. I think there's NPC summons too but you probably have to be doing some quest for it to show up...

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
So, anyone who has been running by the ambushing wyvern before the bell level in archdragon peak its worth taking the time to plink it with arrows. Gives 6 chunks as well as a handful of scales and twinkling. Biggest single upgrade pinata yet.

Unpopular opinion for the day:
I don't like the estoc. I didn't like it in 1, 2 or 3. There, I said it. :colbert:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cicadas! posted:

He's weak to Fire. The trick is to try and stay close to him at all times and whack his tail whenever he does anything. He has the same teleportation mechanic as Crystal Sage.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Atreiden posted:

Are we really going to argue semantics? of course it my opinion that the story/lore wasn't satisfying. I wasn't, In my opinion, compared to DS I and II, given any motivation. And I feel that DS III is lacking on the story part compared to its predecessors,. But of course that just my opinion. I wasn't trying to state it as facts, so if you felt that from my statements, I apologies.

but you aren't really given motivation in the first game.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
So is armor/damage resist still flat, or is it now percentage based? I ask because without armor enhancement it seems like flat damage reduction would have really lovely returns and status resist/fashion souls is the way to go.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Atreiden posted:

That's the weird part. In Dark Souls 1, the sum totality of your motivation up until you meet one of the goat snakes is "some dude said go ring a belltwo bells and kill some people on the way." A key point in Dark Souls 2 is that you don't really have any motivation for what you're doing. You will "find yourself standing in front of its gates, without really understanding why." I mean, unless SotFS really changed something the focus of DaS2 is on the mindless and meaningless pursuit of your desires, which for the player of DaS2 is just "beat the game." DaS3 is way clearer with the main impetus of the story: These four dudes are being huge shits and not doing their job, and you need to drag them back to the thrones to do their job so we can link the fire.

And I mean I'm with you that it's a less satisfying motivation, but not because the game didn't try to give you one. It's weaker because it's more explicit and laid out than the other games. The self-directed sense of motivation in 1 and 2 better meshed with the series' strong emphasis on exploration. It does work pretty well with what the game is trying to be about, but it's not as personally gratifying as "well I see me a castle so I'mma go gently caress up everyone in it."

As for the other part, I mean yeah that's all up to you. It's a story of finales and that's not gonna be interesting to everyone.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Giant Isopod posted:

I don't like the estoc. I didn't like it in 1, 2 or 3. There, I said it. :colbert:
Well I loved it in 2 and its still pretty good in 3 after I played around with some other weapons. That said, Stance is goddamn fantastic after a few runs on those knights (a better shield helps too, tbh) and I can definitely see keeping it around for PvE shield-using assholes.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i went to late game spoilers archdragon peak and Im trying to do the plunging attack

I jump down from the raised section onto the stone area above the dragons head, and I jump off and press RB

do I do it just as I am about to hit the dragon, before I roll off, as I roll off? every time I just fall to my death

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

TGLT posted:

That's the weird part. In Dark Souls 1, the sum totality of your motivation up until you meet one of the goat snakes is "some dude said go ring a belltwo bells and kill some people on the way." A key point in Dark Souls 2 is that you don't really have any motivation for what you're doing. You will "find yourself standing in front of its gates, without really understanding why." I mean, unless SotFS really changed something the focus of DaS2 is on the mindless and meaningless pursuit of your desires, which for the player of DaS2 is just "beat the game." DaS3 is way clearer with the main impetus of the story: These four dudes are being huge shits and not doing their job, and you need to drag them back to the thrones to do their job so we can link the fire.

And I mean I'm with you that it's a less satisfying motivation, but not because the game didn't try to give you one. It's weaker because it's more explicit and laid out than the other games. The self-directed sense of motivation in 1 and 2 better meshed with the series' strong emphasis on exploration. It does work pretty well with what the game is trying to be about, but it's not as personally gratifying as "well I see me a castle so I'mma go gently caress up everyone in it."

As for the other part, I mean yeah that's all up to you. It's a story of finales and that's not gonna be interesting to everyone.

I don't disagree with you, I think DS I had the advantage of being the first game. The world was new and that lent some extra purpose to the exploration part for me. If DS I had been the third game, I'm sure my complaints would be the same

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Giant Isopod posted:

So, anyone who has been running by the ambushing wyvern before the bell level in archdragon peak its worth taking the time to plink it with arrows. Gives 6 chunks as well as a handful of scales and twinkling. Biggest single upgrade pinata yet.

since the first time you fight that boss it's more of an environment hazard challenge and you can do a mad rush through the level and eventually get to a point where you can kill it with one shot, i thought the second encounter was going to be the same thing. naturally i start running past it, weaving through the hallways, and find this huge bell with a lever. i don't bother to stop and read any of the orange signs because gently caress it this beast is chasing me who has time to stop and read he'll kill me while i am reading and they probably say something dumb like "try tongue but hole". little did i know that ringing the bell would solve the encounter, but not in the way i was imagining! you do not get his loot if you try to beat the encounter that way.

basically the second time you fight that boss, if you want his loot, you have to actually fight him.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Atreiden posted:

Am I the only one fairly disappointed in DS III?
In both DS and DS II, I cared about the lore, I wanted to know more about Artorias, Gwyn and so
on in DS. In DS II, I wanted to know more about Vendrick, what he stole from the giants. The giants them self, Drangleic, Nashandra and the other dark queens. There was so much lore to explore.

DS III feels really empty. The gameplay and dungeons are great, but storywise, there is nothing. It's way too linear and npc quests are easily broken. It's not even hard, you are just forced to consult a walkthrough unless you want to break an npc questline. The lore seems nonexistent and the game tries way to hard to be DS 1. From everything to the dungeon order, to covenants and progression. You start in a graveyard with a simple boss, goes to firelink shrine, then a castle with a dragon on a bridge, a city of undead, a poison swamp and a forrest with pvp covenant and so on.

I'm probably alone on this. but I think DS II was better game than DS III. More weapon classes, more interesting covenants, especially ratbro's and bellkeepers and just more and better lore/story.

I'm disappointed but for rather different reasons. The lore in DS3 is fine, I just object to the fact that I bought a Dark Souls game and feel like I got Bloodborne 1.5 instead. I didn't want a Bloodborne game, I wanted a Dark Souls game, and DS3 doesn't really build on the appeal of DS1/2 at all for me.

Which is to say, exploration and diverse character builds.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Eonwe posted:

i went to late game spoilers archdragon peak and Im trying to do the plunging attack

I jump down from the raised section onto the stone area above the dragons head, and I jump off and press RB

do I do it just as I am about to hit the dragon, before I roll off, as I roll off? every time I just fall to my death

Honestly, its kind of finicky and kind of spoils the fight.

From the platform you need to jump off you have time to line up your attack though, so just wait and get a sense of the pattern.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Cicadas! posted:

I don't know if you got this one, but the Wolf Knight Greatsword wrecks the poo poo out of Aldrich, those fricking crocodogs or whatever they are, and Dragonslayer Armor. I do not know if there is some hidden attribute to this weapon that makes it effective against these bosses, but it sure seems more effective than the stats appear on the screen.

I know you don't have too many Scales at this point, and so you may not have chosen to upgrade this particular weapon even if you got it. I chose this one to work on first and I'm super happy with my choice - but then again, my PVE style is claymore & shield, so it's super familiar to me.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm disappointed but for rather different reasons. The lore in DS3 is fine, I just object to the fact that I bought a Dark Souls game and feel like I got Bloodborne 1.5 instead. I didn't want a Bloodborne game, I wanted a Dark Souls game, and DS3 doesn't really build on the appeal of DS1/2 at all for me.

Which is to say, exploration and diverse character builds.

This is an odd complaint to me. It feels almost exactly like DS1 to me with the exception of parry timing, which I still haven't figured out. For DS1 I was parry all day errryday, but I can't quite seem to get the timing in this one. It feels NOTHING like BB to me - as evidenced by the fact I fired up BB last night for the first time since DS3 came out and everything felt all weird, timing-wise.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

homeless poster posted:

since the first time you fight that boss it's more of an environment hazard challenge and you can do a mad rush through the level and eventually get to a point where you can kill it with one shot, i thought the second encounter was going to be the same thing. naturally i start running past it, weaving through the hallways, and find this huge bell with a lever. i don't bother to stop and read any of the orange signs because gently caress it this beast is chasing me who has time to stop and read he'll kill me while i am reading and they probably say something dumb like "try tongue but hole". little did i know that ringing the bell would solve the encounter, but not in the way i was imagining! you do not get his loot if you try to beat the encounter that way.

basically the second time you fight that boss, if you want his loot, you have to actually fight him.

You can still go back and fight him after ringing the bell fyi, you just have to kill the 2nd area boss first to make the storm go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

So is armor/damage resist still flat, or is it now percentage based? I ask because without armor enhancement it seems like flat damage reduction would have really lovely returns and status resist/fashion souls is the way to go.

It is both.

DEF is subtractive, and is derived from your characters stats, and modified by armor - any armor. Each slot contributes a fixed bonus increase to your base DEF rating. Just make sure you have something equipped in all slots and you're fine. Considering how insignificant the subtractive component is if you're not leveling VIT, it doesn't matter too much.

Absorption is % reduction and varies from equipment to equipment. Seems the effect is multiplicative, so what you see on your character sheet will be somewhat lower than if you took the absportion rating on all of your gear and just added it up.

Of course, that doesn't say much about things in practice.

As someone who is making a bit of a tank, I'd say it works out pretty well. Dodging is still your primary means of mitigation, but when I play my dickass thief built I really miss being able to shrug off hits, especially in PvP.