Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, he's literally on life-support of some sort, so that's probably a big factor. Missing the upper half of his face and most things he gives quirks to becoming braindead also probably doesn't help.

He's also said outright he wants to make Shigaraki into a new Symbol of Evil, so, there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
My Hero Academia: Nobody is Sasuke, Everybody is hosed

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fabricated posted:

I suggested that he could be only able to fight for a matter of seconds or single-digit minutes. Great for stuff like this, useless for anything else.

It would make sense if this was the case and would also parallel All-Might's loss of power nicely, since All-Might would continue growing weaker as All For One grows stronger.

I wonder if Endeavor can stand a chance against All For One in his presumably-weakened state. I'm sure years of trying to match All-Might have made him tough as nails.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
So.... does this make Shigaraki the Sasuke?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

LostRook posted:

The game is tied to the anime and Tokoyami doesn't get a spotlight until season 2.

I look forward to playing as Aizawa then

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baal posted:

I look forward to playing as Aizawa then

Aizawa would not work well in this because his power is "you don't get to play anymore", except for people like Tsuyu who wouldn't be affected at all. His fighting style would admittedly be cool, but it seems like it'd be really hard to put in his quirk in a way that isn't unfun for one or both parties. At least with All Might he's just a big burly punchman; you have to tone down his actual strength, but style-wise he works fine.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You're giving more credit to this mediocre looking 3DS fighter cashing in on a hot new property than it deserves dude. Like, they do not care about adhering to power levels or whatever it is you're saying, they're just throwing characters in.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hm. I infer at this point that AFO must be a complete wreck and the only part of him not mangled at this point being his brain. Between Best Jeanist's inability to hold him in place and how AFO seems to just be hanging in midair, I infer that he must be using telekinesis to hold himself up and move himself around here.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baal posted:

You're giving more credit to this mediocre looking 3DS fighter cashing in on a hot new property than it deserves dude. Like, they do not care about adhering to power levels or whatever it is you're saying, they're just throwing characters in.

I'm saying that Aizawa makes for a bad fighting game character because his power is completely unsuited to it. I thought that was pretty clear; I don't know how you got something about power levels being the issue out of my post considering I outright said All Might, who is many, many levels beyond everyone else, does work in this game that is otherwise children beating each other up.

Aizawa wouldn't work as a character because his power is making his opponent suck, and that's no fun to fight. As a support who does something like rope up the opponent or make them unable to do special attacks for a while or something, he's great, but making a playable moveset for him that isn't tediously unfun to deal with (without just not using his powers or something) probably isn't worth the effort for them.

Or maybe they just didn't consider him a popular enough character, who knows.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
The Mangastream fanart section hits again!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Roland Jones posted:

I'm saying that Aizawa makes for a bad fighting game character because his power is completely unsuited to it. I thought that was pretty clear; I don't know how you got something about power levels being the issue out of my post considering I outright said All Might, who is many, many levels beyond everyone else, does work in this game that is otherwise children beating each other up.

I don't mean actual power levels that was me making shorthand for "caring about how his abilities work at all." They can make Aizawa a playable character, you just don't make everything he does lock down the opponents abilities or make it a character central gimmick. You might as well be saying Ochaco isn't suited to a fighting game because her powers could render certain characters immobile and make certain match ups impossible. It's just not how you design a fighting game character when you adapt something.

Hell, the characters are barely even using their abilities in this game and everyone seems to be using this endless stream of attacks where they combo the opponent into the sky and then follow it up with an even more extensive combo. It looks more like Senran Kagura than a fighting game. That's not my point though, my point is you thinking they care what his ability is, is you putting far more thought into it than the devs are because they don't care about that otherwise so many characters on that playable list wouldn't be playable. They are just slapping whatever characters into the roster aside from the usual suspects and anyone who makes it in otherwise is just gonna be a support, it's how a lot of anime based video games work, but popularity also does play some factor into it sometimes.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mangastream is pretty bad at times in various ways (sometimes dodgy translations, dropping/picking series up at random/poo poo cleaners/etc) but the bad fanart takes the cake.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Isn't the fan art stuff part of the actual translation releases?

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

Mangastream is pretty bad at times in various ways (sometimes dodgy translations, dropping/picking series up at random/poo poo cleaners/etc) but the bad fanart takes the cake.

Does anyone else think we're about to see a major shift in tone and story pretty soon. A part of me feels like this is setting up a complete victory for the villains, tio the point where most of the top heroes are dead and the school setting is done away with.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Does anyone else think we're about to see a major shift in tone and story pretty soon. A part of me feels like this is setting up a complete victory for the villains, tio the point where most of the top heroes are dead and the school setting is done away with.

Grimdark tonal shifts are for failing mangas and 13 year old fan fiction writers.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Oh, that's definitely Mt. Lady in the foreground, you can see her headpiece. Also best jeanist further back.

We still doing spoilers for a few hours?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
An interesting parallel between All Might and AFO is what they say.

All Might's words are generally along the lines of "There's no need to fear, I've arrived."

Whereas AFO tells Shigaraki in the flashback of the newest chapter something along the lines of "It's okay now. I'm here."

All Might's is symbolic of his role as a hero. He quells fear by defeating villains, and he always arrives with an impact. He announces his arrival to make himself known. The word "arrive" generally implies activity and response, because heroes generally arrive in response to crimes occurring.

Meanwhile, AFO's seems to sorta hint at his lingering presence. He's got connections. He delves in the underground. He could be here and you wouldn't even know it.

It might be something more noticeable in Korean - the English translation seems to go back and forth between "I'm here" (Chapter 1, 87), and I've come." (Chapter 17). And to be fair, "I'm here" can mean something similar to "I've arrived" cause the implication is "I'm here now." But the Korean translations are always clear in their use of "왔다" (active, arrived) as opposed to "있다" (passive, here).

Here's a buncha comparisons. Noticed how the Korean always has All Might say "내가 왔다."

Hell, I just noticed that All Might in the second picture and AFO say nearly the same thing.
"이제 괜찮다. 내가 왔다." versus "이제 괜찮다. 내가 있다."

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I'm just hoping we don't get a timeskip or drop the school setting or something already. I'm imaging the school setting stays because "My Hero Academia" would be a stupid name for a series where the school disappears 3 1/2 months into the characters' lives.

Also I just loving despise timeskips in general and wish I could banish them from 90% of shounen. I like the character designs just fine thankyou, I'd rather they change slowly over time instead of suddenly everyone being 2 feet taller, having dumb new outfits, and superfluous scars and so on. It really isn't that hard to find characters stuff to do for an in-world year or two- and different arcs/SOL stuff breaking up the main arc are good breathers and time for character development. Skipping time because you can't come up with poo poo for the characters to do, then backfilling all their development to match whatever situation you put them in is a cliche that kinda annoys me.

The catch is; how the hell do you keep the school setting and have the kids fighting villains without the school being excoriated by the media and shut down? Maybe all this exertion from AFO requires a significant rest period?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The hosed up thing is that the one time they chose to go to "I have come" was the perfect time to go "I'm here" because "Have no fear, I'm here" loving rhymes!!!!! It's like the very thing a hero from the olden times might say.

FA really dropped the ball on this one!!!!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I don't think we're in for a tonal shift. There's been a lot of bad things that have happened, and every time Horikoshi is able to keep a strong hold on the narrative and the tone, possibly because of how emotionally and mentally resilient Deku is (great character, anyone?). So I'm not worried about that.

For a time skip, again, Horikoshi can handle this. I don't think he's written himself into a corner. If he DOES do a timeskip, I don't think it'll be long enough to take them out of the school setting. It's literally the entire gimmick of the manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
He can't do a time skip because Deku still hasn't figured out how to fight without crippling himself. Hey, it has been a few years and there were all these crazy battles which happened during that time, but Deku decided not to permanently ruin his body and just stayed out of it. Or maybe instead Deku resolved his incredibly serious problem off panel, but without being able to do anything to prevent a dystopian future. The last option is even worse, being that Deku did in fact cripple himself and someone else will be the new protagonist.

It is an incredibly dumb idea.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Serious Frolicking posted:

He can't do a time skip because Deku still hasn't figured out how to fight without crippling himself. Hey, it has been a few years and there were all these crazy battles which happened during that time, but Deku decided not to permanently ruin his body and just stayed out of it. Or maybe instead Deku resolved his incredibly serious problem off panel, but without being able to do anything to prevent a dystopian future. The last option is even worse, being that Deku did in fact cripple himself and someone else will be the new protagonist.

It is an incredibly dumb idea.

a timeskip wouldn't make much sense because MHA is a story of growth and development, and timeskips are a shortcut to get growth without having to explain it. it'd be like writing a story about climbing a mountain and cutting to the characters standing on the peak

edit: the notable exception to this is fairy tail where the timeskip was there cause ???

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Yeah, Mashima seems to just do whatever he wants ... and for some reason I keep freaking reading.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I still can't see the Pro Heroes' bodies?

Maybe I'm blind

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Condiv posted:

a timeskip wouldn't make much sense because MHA is a story of growth and development, and timeskips are a shortcut to get growth without having to explain it. it'd be like writing a story about climbing a mountain and cutting to the characters standing on the peak

edit: the notable exception to this is fairy tail where the timeskip was there cause ???

Exactly yeah.
Major Timeskips can't really work in this series because Hori has tied power/ability growth of most of his characters with character growth right from the first chapter.
Things like the pro internships are fine though since they're very short term, and he summarized them pretty well.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

I Love Annie May posted:

The Mangastream fanart section hits again!

They seem to be posing against a formless mass of meat.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think given the setting and themes of the story, the longest non-epilogue timeskip you can expect to see is a month or two at most. Something like this, with a regroup/rebuilding montage as students/teachers go back to class demoralized.

Also...is there a chance All Might quits being a teacher soon? If the stakes are being raised with AFO, I wonder if he'll try to dedicate more time to pursuing him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I think given the setting and themes of the story, the longest non-epilogue timeskip you can expect to see is a month or two at most. Something like this, with a regroup/rebuilding montage as students/teachers go back to class demoralized.

Also...is there a chance All Might quits being a teacher soon? If the stakes are being raised with AFO, I wonder if he'll try to dedicate more time to pursuing him.

All Might's either going to retire or get dead by the end of this arc and if he does live it won't be for long. The guy's failures have been wearing him down lately.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The idea of All Might not only dying, but dying with the belief that he's a failure who has let down everyone, is really depressing.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I assume he'll go out giving Deku one last motivational speech.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

The idea of All Might not only dying, but dying with the belief that he's a failure who has let down everyone, is really depressing.

On the plus side, we've already seen Deku receiving guidance from the previous owners of One for All, so he's got a chance at getting some peace and validation posthumously.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is really looking like it's the setup for the long foreshadowed death, but the whole "All Might is dying regardless" thing was pretty prominent complete with All Might agonizing over telling Midoriya that he was in fact dying.

Him dying of "natural causes" would be even more morbidly depressing. Also not terribly shounen.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

The hosed up thing is that the one time they chose to go to "I have come" was the perfect time to go "I'm here" because "Have no fear, I'm here" loving rhymes!!!!! It's like the very thing a hero from the olden times might say.

FA really dropped the ball on this one!!!!

They said in the notes section that they purposely didn't want it to rhyme. Still a mistake imo

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Fabricated posted:

This is really looking like it's the setup for the long foreshadowed death, but the whole "All Might is dying regardless" thing was pretty prominent complete with All Might agonizing over telling Midoriya that he was in fact dying.

Him dying of "natural causes" would be even more morbidly depressing. Also not terribly shounen.

My submission for the "Most Shounen Death" competition is: a spike/sword erupting out of his chest from behind, and instead of immediately dying - he's able to give one last heroic speech.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Shinjobi posted:

there can be loads of little time skips. just a term passing without anything eventful and a single chapter detailing what they did

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Short time skips are fine, yeah. It isn't like the manga accounts for every day they are in school. But suddenly switching from hero school to SINISTER DARK FUTURE WHERE EVIL REIGNS would still be dumb.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

My submission for the "Most Shounen Death" competition is: a spike/sword erupting out of his chest from behind, and instead of immediately dying - he's able to give one last heroic speech.

Clenches his pecs so hard he snaps the front half of the blade in two.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Yeah, it's basically that or the "Stinger page of person getting a gigantic hole blasted through their chest" death.

edit: or instead of a sword, someone's arm going through the victim's chest and holding their heart.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 22, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So we're cool with the months long time skip at the beginning of this manga, but nothing after that? Can we be satisfied by a series of short time skips interrupted by a couple panels showing minimal development, which will later be set to music in the anime?

Time skips are fine and nothing to worry about. They're no more horrible than any other trope or storytelling tool. It's all about how you use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I think people are worried about the "grimdark badfuture" timeskip and maybe the "whelp, fairy tail was gone for 7 years and nothing of consequence happened! Except a kid. That happened," timeskip.

As you said, like any literary device it depends on how you use it.

Except Ichigo 100%. Worst. Time skip. Ever.