Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The first Ms Marvel trade was the highest selling trade that year by a factor of three so I'd believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Space has become an issue so I usually buy the first trade in a series physical, and then go digital for future trades (unless I am very in to the series, or it only had a short run.) I know a few others like that. Digital has been great for space saving, especially on the few never ending series I read a lot of.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007
If anyone is interested in manga, looks like there is a Hunter X Hunter sale, 5 dollars a pop. Supposedly it's a really good manga so if you were holding out, might be the time to stock up on them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Comparing the sales between captain America and Superman is pretty amazing. One is having almost every issue of the series on sale, the other had a couple of trades. Its shocking and they are doing sales for a month with large chunk of comics on sale every week. I expect this Thursday or Sunday to be the entire Bru run.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

ZRM posted:

If anyone is interested in manga, looks like there is a Hunter X Hunter sale, 5 dollars a pop. Supposedly it's a really good manga so if you were holding out, might be the time to stock up on them.

It is good, but unfinished and will never be finished.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Image-Eisner-Sale/page/10458?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

It is good, but unfinished and will never be finished.

Is there a list of which volumes comprise which story arcs? At least I'm assuming that's how Hunter x Hunter is structured.

Never mind, found one! Probably spoilers though. http://hunterxhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Story_Arcs

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Panel Syndicate just put out their Walking Dead issue. BKV, Marcos Martin, pay what you want.
http://panelsyndicate.com/previews/twd_thealien

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Marvel BOGO at Comixology right now.

Does anyone have a good list of the most acclaimed runs handy? In the mood for some classics.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
As usual, bear in mind the B1G2 sale combines in weird ways with ongoing sales.

Basically, if you buy a $4 book that's already on sale for $1 and have another $4 book in your basket, there's a chance they'll combine to have two $4 books for a grand total of $1.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Endless Mike posted:

Digital sales are big and getting bigger, and it's largely due to non-traditional comics fans. Unfortunately, no one seems willing to release digital sales figures, so until they do, we'll really only have speculation and occasional hints about how things are *really* selling.

I'm actually launching a digital reader (iOS/Android) in about two weeks, and its been a lot easier signing up publishers than I expected for basically this reason -- in order to expand your business you really have to go after a broader, more casual audience. There are so many people who are now, say, X-Men fans but still haven't, and never will, cross over into comic books, but those people do want to read up on storylines from whatever movie they just saw or are about to. Those people are very unlikely to walk into a comic book store or even buy a book on Amazon, though.

Our model is a little different (free to read, streaming, optional ad-free subscription), which is going to make those digital sales numbers even more complex, but its the same math the music and film industry have been working with for years.

Incidentally, we're in beta right now on iOS if anyone wants in. Our full content library won't be in until launch day but we have about 1500 books in with some stuff from Arcana, Image, Heroic and a few others.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Alternatively to the B1G2 Comixology sale, they're doing 50% off digital comics on Amazon, which is great for trades if you were interested in only one.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PelvicNerve posted:

Alternatively to the B1G2 Comixology sale, they're doing 50% off digital comics on Amazon, which is great for trades if you were interested in only one.

Don't the trades show up on Comixology after doing this?

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Rirse posted:

Don't the trades show up on Comixology after doing this?
Yeah.
As long as the page says "Kindle+Comixology", they do. AFAIK, most of the stuff is on both sides, which is what makes this such a good alternative.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

PelvicNerve posted:

Do you have a link? I don't actually see any discounted comics on Amazon.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Jake Armitage posted:

There are so many people who are now, say, X-Men fans but still haven't, and never will, cross over into comic books, but those people do want to read up on storylines from whatever movie they just saw or are about to.

I always thought comic publishers or local shops should team up with theaters to give out free comics, at least for the first couple of shows or at the midnight showing of a big release. With digital comics, publishers should totally give out free downloads to the first issue of the relevant storyline. It'd hardly cost anything and would at least get a few people to download comiXology for the first time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Uthor posted:

I always thought comic publishers or local shops should team up with theaters to give out free comics, at least for the first couple of shows or at the midnight showing of a big release. With digital comics, publishers should totally give out free downloads to the first issue of the relevant storyline. It'd hardly cost anything and would at least get a few people to download comiXology for the first time.

One of my local comic shops does this for midnight releases for comic book movies. The theater lets everyone in earlier than usual and the comic shop people do trivia and contests. After the movie is over they hold like a post party where people can come and play games at the store (Thursdays are usually game nights all night anyway). I know after the first Avengers movie they had a post party at a local bar.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

InShaneee posted:

Do you have a link? I don't actually see any discounted comics on Amazon.

There was a big banner on the comic section of the kindle store. At a glance the best deals looked like some random recent trades for around $4, punisher max complete collections for 12, and Priest Black Panther collections for 15, getting you the whole run for 45.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Isn't it about time for a new Archie (company) sale, specifically so I can pick up volumes 8-11 of Mega Man?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

New sale, new post!
Captain America: White is really good, especially if you have a soft spot for Steve & Bucky's big brother, little brother dynamic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So I got an iPad Pro from someone on SA Mart and it rules since it's so big I can comfortably read two pages in landscape with almost no wasted space at all!

Or just one giant page in portrait.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Endless Mike posted:

So I got an iPad Pro from someone on SA Mart and it rules since it's so big I can comfortably read two pages in landscape with almost no wasted space at all!

Or just one giant page in portrait.

When I brought my Pro I was expecting to read in portrait like I do on the smaller ones, but once I actually got it I found that reading in landscape was better, the pages are big enough for the text and images to be clear and you don't have to rotate for double page spreads.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Big ol' Dark Horse Aliens sale.

https://www.comixology.com/Aliens-Sale/page/10523?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Anyone read Inhuman Condition? I could go for a Sam Kieth Aliens story.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Uthor posted:

With digital comics, publishers should totally give out free downloads to the first issue of the relevant storyline. It'd hardly cost anything and would at least get a few people to download comiXology for the first time.

That's one of the things we want to do with our platform. With something like Comixology though, you are still asking very casual fans to download an app, create an account, download a comic... doesn't sound like much but that's a ton of friction.

Our platform doesn't require an account, and we've based the whole system around free, streaming comics (we only load pages as you read), so you can download the app and immediately just start reading a digital only comic. And they can actually monetize it with ads.

But of course... mainstream comic book movies means DC and Marvel for the most part. I think we'd be more likely to do something interesting with indie publishers now that they are starting to get movie and tv deals more frequently.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That reminds me, can I get in on your beta? I assume you're doing it through Test Flight on iOS?

As for accounts, Comixology just uses Amazon now, and I'd imagine most people have one of those.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Endless Mike posted:

That reminds me, can I get in on your beta? I assume you're doing it through Test Flight on iOS?

Absolutely, just send name and email to info at powfolio.com and I'll send you an invite.

We're technically out of beta but it's still running until we go fully live. Now we're hustling content in so we can launch by free comic book day. So when you're in you'll start to see new content appear regularly over the next week. I think we're up to something like 100k+ pages of content already.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Jake Armitage posted:

Absolutely, just send name and email to info at powfolio.com and I'll send you an invite.

We're technically out of beta but it's still running until we go fully live. Now we're hustling content in so we can launch by free comic book day. So when you're in you'll start to see new content appear regularly over the next week. I think we're up to something like 100k+ pages of content already.

I think I might just send off an email in your direction too.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Jake Armitage posted:

Any chance of a web client or a Windows app in the future? I like to read comics on my Surface Pro 3, and running an android emulator is just murder on the battery.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Civil War sale to the surprise of no one. Also I never knew they rebranded the silly New Warriors book with the serious Civil War event banner due to them being blown up in the first issue.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Is captain America and Falcon good?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
https://www.comixology.co.uk/Term-Life-Tie-In-Sale/page/10583?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA
Comixology are doing a sale centred on a comic called Term Life which I never heard of but it's basically 3 Image CEs and 2 sets of the single issues for two of the CEs. I've only read Cowboy Ninja Viking but it's pretty fun and very weird. Harvest and Term Life do sound interesting too though.

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Rai-Sale/page/10584?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA
Rai is also on sale, not read any of it so I have no opinion to add here.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Anime_Otaku posted:

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Term-Life-Tie-In-Sale/page/10583?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA
Comixology are doing a sale centred on a comic called Term Life which I never heard of but it's basically 3 Image CEs and 2 sets of the single issues for two of the CEs. I've only read Cowboy Ninja Viking but it's pretty fun and very weird. Harvest and Term Life do sound interesting too though.

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Rai-Sale/page/10584?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA
Rai is also on sale, not read any of it so I have no opinion to add here.

Rai is awesome and one of valiants best books. It ties in with their summer event, and I highly recommend it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What's cool is the books are 1 dollar each, or you can get all twelve plus 4 eternal warrior in a bundle for 11 dollars.

Goddamn you Valiant and your great digital strategy making me buy all the books.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

TheHeadSage posted:

Any chance of a web client or a Windows app in the future? I like to read comics on my Surface Pro 3, and running an android emulator is just murder on the battery.

Web for sure, Windows app I would like to do at some point but guaranteed a web reader on the website will be the first order of business, possibly even before Comic Con. We'd of course like to enter Comic Con with a platform everyone on Earth can use.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

You can not get DRM-free Avatar comics. Doesn't look like they're available on comiXology, just on Comic Cavalcade (which I haven't hread of before).

http://www.comcav.net/pages/digital

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Joshua Williamson sale

https://www.comixology.com/Joshua-Williamson-Sale/page/10601?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Assortment of graphic novels and collections from IDW

https://www.comixology.com/IDW-Comically-Original-Sale/page/10595?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw
Get all Jeff Lemire's stuff.

e: Everything's discounted now.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 2, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Birthright, Ghosted, and Nailbiter are really good. Joshua Williamson is a good writer. I've never read Xenoholics but I think I might now.

As for the IDW sale, I've never read any of those. But Infinite Loop is in the header image though not in the actual sale it seems and it's a nice read with gorgeous art.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Most of Brubuker Captain American run is on sale today.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

As for the IDW sale, I've never read any of those.

Parker The Hunter, Essex County and Swallow Me Whole. Do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Is Nailbiter finished or not? I had issue 1 and just read it, now I'm thinking about getting the single issues bundle but if there's more issues I might get the trades instead.