Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Zzulu posted:

The CGI just doesn't look remotely real to me, making all the destruction really boring. It's like those other disaster movies basically, it looks exactly the same but with a mothership in the sky this time. Also, the casting looks horrendous with the exception for Goldblum

To me it's not that the CG doesn't look "real" in terms of being well rendered... it's just that it's so goddamn over populated with stuff that the scene itself isn't able to be processed as "real."

If that makes sense. Like the brain can't reconcile it with it's actual experiences because it's so far removed from anything everyday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Zzulu posted:

The CGI just doesn't look remotely real to me, making all the destruction really boring. It's like those other disaster movies basically, it looks exactly the same but with a mothership in the sky this time. Also, the casting looks horrendous with the exception for Goldblum

These are all pretty fair criticisms. I will say that the CGI is a huge quagmire right now and their workload is enormous.

Also I think everybody on Urf realizes this movie would be so much better with a huge dose of Will Smith.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Also kind of a poo poo move to cast Mireca Monroe when Mae Whitman is both working and talented. That's not a knock on Monroe, I haven't heard a bad word about her work in It Follows. It just gives the whole affair more of a plastic sheen to it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Maika Monroe, you mean, Mireca is a different and much worse actress.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I'm sure it's because of "alien tech" or whatever but I find it a bit strange that the technology of the world in Resurgence is somehow WAY more advanced than anything we've even come close to despite it being basically present day.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I'm sure it's because of "alien tech" or whatever but I find it a bit strange that the technology of the world in Resurgence is somehow WAY more advanced than anything we've even come close to despite it being basically present day.

Well, yeah.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I hear ya. She would have brought more to the role. Maika Monroe is fine but to be honest she just kind of blends into the background on this. Oh but she's fuckable soooo

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

lol actually on second watching, I realized there's a voice over right at the beginning that basically covers this

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Nice to see Vivica Fox in a real movie again, though.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The world being advanced by alien tech looks like one of the more potentially interesting parts to me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The world being advanced by alien tech looks like one of the more potentially interesting parts to me.

Yeah, almost looks like - wow - science fiction.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I love the alien strider(s). Looks like action might get kind of tiring, I hope there's some moments of respite.

Bill Pullman sounds feeble. Did he forget how to do his terrible tough guy voice?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the figher jets will transform into giant robots just to make that plot point even more obviously a reference to Robotech.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, almost looks like - wow - science fiction.

tbf though part of the charm of the first one was the plucky underdog story of Earth being able to fend off super-advanced aliens using nothing but our brains and (for 1996) modern technology

granted they also commandeered the area-51 alien fighter and flew it into the mother ship so maybe it's a superfluous point to make

davidspackage posted:

Bill Pullman sounds feeble. Did he forget how to do his terrible tough guy voice?

Yeah I thought so as well.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 22, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The funniest thing about that trailer is Jeff Goldblum suddenly being some sort of defense expert when he was a satellite technician in the first movie. It's not entirely unlike how he suddenly became a dinosaur expert in The Lost World.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I always found the destruction in ID4 genuinely apocalyptic so I was disappointed in this until I saw the burning sky, which is a really good touch to harken back to the feel of the first film.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

drat ID4:2 looks crazy - in a good way.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

ID:R is the official acronym if it doesn't make you feel gross.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

kiimo posted:

ID:R is the official acronym if it doesn't make you feel gross.

where's the drat 4?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

davidspackage posted:

His character's probably been suffering from a shitload of PTSD/recurring nightmares since, you know, get was mind probed like a motherfucker in the first movie, in addition to not only losing half the country but his wife as well. I can totally buy the whole "worn out by all this bullshit" schtick.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
ID:42

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Scyantific posted:

His character's probably been suffering from a shitload of PTSD/recurring nightmares since, you know, get was mind probed like a motherfucker in the first movie, in addition to not only losing half the country but his wife as well. I can totally buy the whole "worn out by all this bullshit" schtick.

And on top of all that, he has to star in Independence Day 2.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

where's the drat 4?

Fox 4-sook it.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

where's the drat 4?

As someone too young to really remember Independence Day when it was in theaters, the fact that its acronym is ID4 frightens and disturbs me, so I'm in favor of this

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm old enough to have seen ID4 in theaters and also old enough to not pretend it was ever a good movie

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Timby posted:

The funniest thing about that trailer is Jeff Goldblum suddenly being some sort of defense expert when he was a satellite technician in the first movie. It's not entirely unlike how he suddenly became a dinosaur expert in The Lost World.

They say in the movie though that he's some kind of genius but wanted to work as a satellite tech because he liked it.

There is a distinct lack of this guy

in the trailer which has me a little worried, but otherwise this looks like it could be fun despite all odds.

Also how the hell is Brent Spiner's character still alive?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pops Mgee posted:

Also how the hell is Brent Spiner's character still alive?

Alien tech, I'm calling it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the best part of ID4 was easily James Rebhorn, RIP

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the best part of ID4 was easily Robert Loggia, RIP

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

not gonna lie I do not even remember Robert Loggia in that movie

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He was the Secretary of Defense, I think. I just remember him going up to Bill Pullman as he was climbing into the fighter jet and growling, "Mr. President, I'd sure like to know what the hell you are doing," or something along those lines.

Independence Day was the last movie I watched with my Mom before she moved back to Boise this month. This kind of saddens me.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh poo poo --- why do we call it ID4?

July 4th...? Right?

E:

quote:

The abbreviation "ID4" was invented due to legal problems with the title "Independence Day". Before 20th Century Fox reached a deal with Warner Bros. for the rights to the title, they suggested the film be called "Invasion" or "Sky on Fire" among many other titles.

I just remember seeing it everywhere.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

kiimo posted:

Also I think everybody on Urf realizes this movie would be so much better with a huge dose of Will Smith.

Still betting on Will Smith's character being sent back in time in that explosion. Back to 1996 during the first invasion.

[edit] I'm speculating this because in the first film, after Pullman got mindfucked by the alien in Area 51, he said their entire civilization travelled in that mothership, going from planet to planet, taking all their resources, an moving on. Dem aliens have to have some time travel tech.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 22, 2016

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

At the end he says
:clint:"Get on the wire. Tell them how to bring those sons of bitches down" :clint:
Which is really all you need.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pops Mgee posted:

At the end he says
:clint:"Get on the wire. Tell them how to bring those sons of bitches down" :clint:
Which is really all you need.

o yeah that was cool.

I also do genuinely kinda love the bit where James Rebhorn has to admit Area 51 is real.

so yeah all the good parts of that movie are dead.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I also do genuinely kinda love the bit where James Rebhorn has to admit Area 51 is real.

Eh, that's been supplanted by the similar scene in Zero Dark Thirty.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

so yeah all the good parts of that movie are dead.

The effects remain stunning.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That initial attack sequence is perfectly paced, perfectly scored, perfectly edited and flat-out horrifying.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

some of them. the miniature work is really cool, but that wall-o'-fire looks like dogshit now

Eh, that's been supplanted by the similar scene in Zero Dark Thirty.

no Rebhorn, no sale.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
The CGI bothers me because it just looks like everything except the actors is CGI; all the cities, alien ships, explosions and there is nothing to really hold on to. I went back and watched the scene from the original when the ships arrive and they look more real than anything in this.
The shot by the Brooklyn bridge (?) where the giant ship appears from the clouds/fire looks terrifying and "physically real" whereas everything in the new film is just one indistinguishable CGI-model after another and there's so loving much of it.
It looks so stuffed with effects that I get a sense of bloatedness, like seeing so much poo poo exhausts me.
And it's not just this film, of course this is the norm in Hollywood these days but I just find it weird and kind of sad that all of the destruction scenes from the first movie will age much better than anything in this.
Storywise it looks to be appropriately insane and Goldblum is always entertaining so no problems there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

some of them. the miniature work is really cool, but that wall-o'-fire looks like dogshit now

Yeah the wall of fire is iffy. Does the job fine though.

Timby posted:

That initial attack sequence is perfectly paced, perfectly scored, perfectly edited and flat-out horrifying.

When the "July 4th" tag comes up, it's chilling. Top notch!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 22, 2016

• Locked thread