Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I want to like Dorne because it has potential (and Doran is well cast) so I'm OK with them not erasing it totally but I hope they do the gently caress it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012
One big problem with Dorne seems to be that they knew they wanted to use it, but had no real idea why it would be part of the story. In the books the Dorne story seems to ultimately be part of the larger Aegon story(seriously, there's an entire PoV character whose plot significance seems to be turning the Dornish against Daenerys), but since they cut Aegon from the show there's no real drive for Dorne to be in it from a story or plot standpoint. They even admitted they didn't know how they'd incorporate Dorne until someone in the writer's room suggested they send Bronn and Jaime there. Maybe Dorne and the fact that they haven't exhausted their army in a big war will play a part in the endgame, because one would think that even with Bran and Daenerys and co. using magic against the White Walkers there still needs to be an army to fight them. So perhaps the show people are setting up Dorne now even if it doesn't have much relevance, so they don't come out of nowhere when they join the big battle at the end.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I believe they used a new and untested crew for the Dorne scenes, with Dave Hill playing a larger part (I'm going to assume he wrote the 'bad pussy' line.) I think their fight choreographer was new and they only had a very short amount of time to film in the Water Gardens set which explains the cringeworthy fight scene.

It was a disaster waiting to happen.

I kind of feel bad for the actresses.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I think Cogman said he scripted Jaime and Bronn's rescue attempt to happen at night, but they weren't allowed to film at night, so it became this nonsensical failed daytime attack.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I think Cogman said he scripted Jaime and Bronn's rescue attempt to happen at night, but they weren't allowed to film at night, so it became this nonsensical failed daytime attack.

Explains why Darkstar didn't show up.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Omnomnomnivore posted:

well this is a bad production decision to base a scene around a specific time and location and when it doesnt work to just say "gently caress it, film it anyways". Thats some Ed Wood type poo poo.

It's very telling to what the problems of this show have become.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
How much would Dorne have been improved if someone had said, "Y'know what? Screw the Alcázar of Seville"?

True vv

Lycus fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 22, 2016

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Not as much as it would have been improved by being omitted entirely.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Lots of night scenes are shot during the daylight, its a matter of using some filters and toying with camera settings. Many night time shots in The Dark Knight for example were shot during the day.

I can't imagine a production company couldn't go "hmm well OK guess well have to get some filters"

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 22, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
They should have just had a black screen and done the sound in a studio. Would have been better. It was a dark and moonless night.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That kind of seems the opposite what you would do if you wanted a big strong fighting force.

cutting the balls would get rid of the sexual feelings mostly. It also probably makes easier to pee with a dick still attached.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

cutting the balls would get rid of the sexual feelings mostly. It also probably makes easier to pee with a dick still attached.

Aren't there stories of pedos getting castrated and then still abusing people? I doubt sexual feelings go away with no balls, or even with no dick for that matter. I get why a medieval society would think a eunuch would make sense but I don't know if it would necessarily solve anything.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Lots of night scenes are shot during the daylight, its a matter of using some filters and toying with camera settings. Many night time shots in The Dark Knight for example were shot during the day.

I can't imagine a production company couldn't go "hmm well OK guess well have to get some filters"

I'm pretty sure Jamie and Bronn's rowboat scene was shot in daylight with a filter.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
From Reddit, a leaked screenshot from episode 1 of Mel sans glamour
http://i.imgur.com/wm261S7.jpg (:nws:)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lloyd Boner posted:

Ok now Im a bit confused about how glamours work. Wasnt supposed to be an optical illusion thing? Or doest it changes how one feels with his hands too?

Because Stannis definitely touched these

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Lloyd Boner posted:

The night is dark and hiding some terrible poo poo. Go team darkness.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I hope the first Behind the Episode features Dave & Dan saying "We were blown away when George told us that Melisandre is 400 years old" so we can see another westeros.org freakout.

(Yeah, I know it's been unsubtly hinted at in the text, but to my recollection it hasn't been explicitly described)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ok now Im a bit confused about how glamours work. Wasnt supposed to be an optical illusion thing? Or doest it changes how one feels with his hands too?

We know the effect is actually psychological, it's just very powerful suggestion.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Elias_Maluco posted:

Go on, do your duty.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Ague Proof posted:

Go on, do your duty.

This, also he was thinking of his miniature soldier collection at the time.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Lloyd Boner posted:

Bwahaha. Knew it.

I love how this posthumously shits on Stannis even more.

(The pedant in me is annoyed she isn't covered in brands and scars from her time as a slave)

(The pedant in me is also fully prepared for the glamor to drop when she removes her necklace, which is missing in the pic, even though already had a scene of her without the necklace in Season 4)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is that the only spoiler? A HD image but no synopsis?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

In It For The Tank posted:

Bwahaha. Knew it.

(The pedant in me is annoyed she isn't covered in brands and scars from her time as a slave)

(The pedant in me is also fully prepared for the glamor to drop when she removes her necklace, which is missing in the pic, even though already had a scene of her without the necklace in Season 4)

Mel being that old would also more or less confirm why she can't resurrect anyone as her body probably can't handle giving the breath of life.

It does beg the question of how Jon is going to be brought back. I assume Thoros isn't going to conveniently show up out of nowhere and do it unless Dave Hill wrote that arc.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Bwahaha. Knew it.

The necklace was glamoured to look invisible.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Ginette Reno posted:

Mel being that old would also more or less confirm why she can't resurrect anyone as her body probably can't handle giving the breath of life.

It does beg the question of how Jon is going to be brought back. I assume Thoros isn't going to conveniently show up out of nowhere and do it unless Dave Hill wrote that arc.

In the show, Thoros revived Beric without a kiss. He just prayed over his corpse. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if Show Melisandre does give Jon the kiss of life and dies doing it, much like Book Beric did when he revived Catelyn.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Bwahaha. Knew it.

I hope there's a flashback to previous scenes only with Mel's true form.

I apologise for what you're about to see.

edit: The character assassination isn't thorough enough. Maybe Stannis was also a paedophile?

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 22, 2016

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I always assumed she was nothing but dust inside

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Maybe Queen Selyse is such a big fan of the Lord of Light that she deceived herself into believing Melisandre looked like she always did.

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

In the show, Thoros revived Beric without a kiss. He just prayed over his corpse. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if Show Melisandre does give Jon the kiss of life and dies doing it, much like Book Beric did when he revived Catelyn.

This was my assumption then reddit reminded me she told Arya they will meet again in the show. Guess Arya could wear her young face for a time that would be neat and kind of have a theme or something.

Jessant fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 22, 2016

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Melisandre has been wrong about everything, no reason she would be right about that.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Melisandre got a lot of things wrong, but inst she at the same time ithe only person in Westeros who were concerned about the very real upcoming apocalypse from the beginning?

She is also the one who convinced Stannis to drop everything and go help the NW

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Melisandre's fire will burn inside Jon, keeping him alive. When Arya meets Jon again in the future, she will also be meeting Melisandre again, in a way.

Actually, it might be neat if she stuck around as an occasional voice in Jon's head or a Force ghost or whatever. Assuming she realizes Jon's the real Azor Ahai he'll need some guidance about his Mystic Destiny, and while she's 0 for 1 on guiding Chosen Ones he might need at least something to go on.

Speaking of Jon's motivation, assuming getting revived really is the loophole that gets him out of the Night's Watch (and that somehow the rest of the North acknowledges he's come back from the dead, Ned's Bastard was a known figure and being Lord-Commander is news that would've gotten around), what will his motivation be to ditch the Watch and go be Lord Stark?

Maybe he realizes there's no hope of holding the Wall with everyone as divided as they are and decides the Wildlings had the right idea, so continues their march South? Is his plan to take over the North and defend it against the Others or will he be leading a migration the same way Mance did? Because from the sounds of it after the massacre to oust the Boltons there won't be enough manpower left to defend Winterfell much less the whole of the North.

Edit: He better take whatever loyal Night's Watch members remain with him when he goes, even if that's just Ed of named characters.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Lloyd Boner posted:

:lol: this is fake right?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Jessant posted:

This was my assumption then reddit reminded me she told Arya they will meet again in the show. Guess Arya could wear her young face for a time that would be neat and kind of have a theme or something.

Like the show cares about that from Season 3.

Hell I'm rewatching season 5 and some characters say and do stuff that doesn't matter because they die by the end of the season.

And not just things like Stannis planning on going to Kings Landing but like a whole scene with him talking to Sam about the Walkers and how he has Dragonglass on Dragonstone but nothing comes of it and Stannis dies.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

Zero One posted:

Hell I'm rewatching season 5 and some characters say and do stuff that doesn't matter because they die by the end of the season.

The North Remembers! And then swiftly forgot because she was flayed.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

RCarr posted:

:lol: this is fake right?

Why would it be? She's a glamoured servant of the Lord of Light. She's 400 years old.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Elias_Maluco posted:

Melisandre got a lot of things wrong, but inst she at the same time ithe only person in Westeros who were concerned about the very real upcoming apocalypse from the beginning?

She is also the one who convinced Stannis to drop everything and go help the NW

I don't think she knew about the return of the others until she saw the letters from the watch, incidentally, the night's watch were concerned about the return of the others from the start, way before Melisandre.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

incidentally, the night's watch were concerned about the return of the others from the start

No they weren't, they didn't believe that they even existed anymore. They were worried about the Wildling migration.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No they weren't, they didn't believe that they even existed anymore. They were worried about the Wildling migration.

Yes.

Also, she maybe she didnt knew about that the Others were coming, but she was making apocalyptic predictions about the night and stuff from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That's not entirely true, they suspected something went 'beyond wildlings' levels of fuckery from the start, Benjen tells Ned that Garett (or will? whoever Ned beheads) was a loyal and trustworthy lad when Ned dismisses his talks about the others, Jeor Mormont tells Tyrion 'white walkers' have been sighted in the bay of seals, etc, they suspected poo poo.

This is kinda moot though cause by the end of AGOT they definitely know the others have returned while Mel is still fully clueless.

• Locked thread