Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

actually, dark souls is real life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Dr. Abysmal posted:

They really ran wild with placing mimics in this one. I think I encountered 5 chests in the dungeon area and only one of those was an actual regular chest.

That's a gripe I've had honestly. Mimics are great when they're a bit of spice here and there to catch you when you're being lazy. I don't have the numbers at hand but I swear at least half of all the chests in DS3 are loving mimics.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Man, Lightning Astora Greatsword is just so much better than Raw Astora Straight Sword at high Faith. I was dying constantly to Princes, doing ~390 damage while Lightning buffed and only ~220 when it dropped off (and it can be tough to find a window to reapply it). With the Lightning infused Greatsword I was doing 650 - 700 damage a hit. Only took me a handful of tries, 2 with Blossom/Ember on, to beat them and that was while getting used to slow-rear end greatsword swings and it using all my stamina. After spending hours without success using the Straight Sword.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
i wish dark souls 3 was real life so i could see the big titties on gwynevere

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

I AM BRAWW posted:

i wish dark souls 3 was real life so i could see the big titties on gwynevere

Same

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dr. Abysmal posted:

They really ran wild with placing mimics in this one. I think I encountered 5 chests in the dungeon area and only one of those was an actual regular chest.

I don't think there's many more Mimics than in the other games, they're just all really back-loaded. Irithyll Dungeon/Profane Capital alone has nearly half the entire game's population of them.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CRAYON posted:

By poorly communicated do you mean large? In the real world there are lots of big people that lumber around but can turn the speed on in an instant.

By poorly communicated I mean the animations do not suggest the speed with which their attacks actually connect. Large can be a part of it. This speed becomes extra annoying in conjunction with the inconsistency of stunlocks. Sometimes they break out after three hits, sometimes they break out after four hits, either way if you commit to the wrong number of hits the retaliation is almost always lightning fast regardless of the size of the character and weapon.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The true torch souls starts here.

https://twitter.com/AndriErlingsson/status/723554078689759232

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I just think it's funny they finally made them durable enough so you don't kill them before they can show off some of their sweet moves.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Captain Oblivious posted:

By poorly communicated I mean the animations do not suggest the speed with which their attacks actually connect. Large can be a part of it. This speed becomes extra annoying in conjunction with the inconsistency of stunlocks. Sometimes they break out after three hits, sometimes they break out after four hits, either way if you commit to the wrong number of hits the retaliation is almost always lightning fast regardless of the size of the character and weapon.

So be more careful about the number of times you hit an enemy.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

It really depends on whether you're talking about like a giant dog or giant man-crow or some variety of armorlord. Like nobody should expect a giant dog to attack slow.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

It really depends on whether you're talking about like a giant dog or giant man-crow or some variety of armorlord. Like nobody should expect a giant dog to attack slow.

I was thinking about the giant snakemen, personally. Motherfuckers handle those greataxes like they're made of papier-mache.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

come on mate, a DS game can have flaws and still be a good game. No need for the constant get good to any criticism

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I think I like the speediness of the game because it's still hard after you get accustomed to it. The combat is very engaging even if you're a grizzled vet, or at least, it is for me. The only enemies I hate are those tall Goathead fuckboys who jump and spaz out all over the place. Everything else is great. Hell, the first red eye red cape knight in Lothric Castle after Dancer felt like a fun respawning boss fight practically.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
the only enemy that has ever surprised me thru how fast they attack are the Big Berthas

they swing that huge fuckoff mace like it's nothing and theyn just keep going

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think the problem is that DS1/2 enemies were TOO predictable.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

Dark Souls is a lot of things, but it's never been subversive.

it's probably the only game series which uses the medium properly in terms of narrative/story/etc

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's probably the only game series which uses the medium properly in terms of narrative/story/etc

In terms of narrative I'd personally put the original Metroid Prime as the pinnacle of story telling with the scan visor. It functions in a mildly similar way to item descriptions and all but I think literally making lore a collectible was absolutely brilliant.

I AM BRAWW posted:

the only enemy that has ever surprised me thru how fast they attack are the Big Berthas

Are you talking about the pricks in the Dragon Shrine in DS2? The thing about them is they had unlimited loving stamina for no reason and were just badly designed.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

I AM BRAWW posted:

Ugh yeah, that or they just chain slap you with their book if you try to get any sort of combo going.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't think "don't overcommit" is new to DS3, though. If you're mashing R1 on an enemy, you should expect to be punished. That was even true in Bloodborne, though to a lesser extent because it was much easier to dodge and then keep attacking (thanks to the sidestep). In Dark Souls 3, anything beyond one hit, or two with a faster weapon, is a risk. Sometimes it can be a calculated risk, but it's a risk.

I started having a much easier time when I stopped trying to get long combos like I was playing Bloodborne.

Except for Iudex Gundyr. I actually kind of think the first boss teaches you the wrong lesson for DS3. Iudex goes down like a chump if you play crazy aggressive and R1 spam his face with occasional dodges, but most other bosses will own the poo poo out of you if you try that.

Atreiden posted:

come on mate, a DS game can have flaws and still be a good game. No need for the constant get good to any criticism

I mean, I just don't agree with this particular flaw. My main complaints are that I think they went too far in reining in magic and now it's useless for 80% of the game (barring pyromancy), and that weapon balance, in general, is still pretty bad. Patch 1.04 helped, but I still feel a bit like I'm handicapping myself when I'm not using a straight sword, and I never felt like that in a previous Souls game. Even in Bloodborne, where the Saw Cleaver is easily the best PvE weapon (and yes, I'll argue that it's better than Ludwig's Holy Blade with any other Bloodborne players in this thread), I never felt like I was being punished for not using it.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 22, 2016

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Tracula posted:

In terms of narrative I'd personally put the original Metroid Prime as the pinnacle of story telling with the scan visor. It functions in a mildly similar way to item descriptions and all but I think literally making lore a collectible was absolutely brilliant.

Are you talking about the pricks in the Dragon Shrine in DS2? The thing about them is they had unlimited loving stamina for no reason and were just badly designed.

oh ya those guys too, but im talkin about dark souls 3 mostly. the big berthas are the fat rear end women who laugh and have a big mace and they first appear in undead settlement near fire tree

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man I love this games fast ridiculous enemies.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Fister Roboto posted:

I think the problem is that DS1/2 enemies were TOO predictable.

it was definitely trivial to backstab your way through the basic fodder hollows in DS1/2 without even really trying. by comparison, through my entire first run, the only pve enemies i have successfully intentionally backstabbed are the three ghru guys that sit outside the farron's outskirts bonfire while trying to (unsuccessfully) farm wolf grass off them, because they will literally sit in place until your model is bumping up against theirs. i haven't been able to get behind any other enemy almost at all, much less try something like a backstab.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Tamayachi posted:

Ugh yeah, that or they just chain slap you with their book if you try to get any sort of combo going.

they have insane poise too!!! bitych ur fat but you're in robes!!

my only complaint so far.. other then that, usually enemies have p. good tells. by dark souls 3 players should be used to "oh ya pontiff is looking at me and moving his sword back ok he's definitely gonna do some super saiyan dash towards me"

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I AM BRAWW posted:

oh ya those guys too, but im talkin about dark souls 3 mostly. the big berthas are the fat rear end women who laugh and have a big mace and they first appear in undead settlement near fire tree

Yeah, screw the evangelists. My least favourite DS3 enemy by far.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Lester Shy posted:

I'm bad at piecing together the lore in these games, but I'm really interested in what's going on with the grubs near Rosaria's Bed Chamber, especially the one that only shows up later and drops Heysel's stuff. That whole place gives me major Iosefka's Clinic vibes.

You're not wrong. Later on, if you follow a certain NPC's quest line, a grub appears within the chamber. If you kill that grub, it has the same drops as the Rosaria's Finger NPC invader that jumps you in the Road of Sacrifice and Ferron Keep swamps.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Regy Rusty posted:

Man I love this games fast ridiculous enemies.

Same

homeless poster posted:

it was definitely trivial to backstab your way through the basic fodder hollows in DS1/2 without even really trying. by comparison, through my entire first run, the only pve enemies i have successfully intentionally backstabbed are the three ghru guys that sit outside the farron's outskirts bonfire while trying to (unsuccessfully) farm wolf grass off them, because they will literally sit in place until your model is bumping up against theirs. i haven't been able to get behind any other enemy almost at all, much less try something like a backstab.

It's pretty easy to backstab the jailers in Irithyll Dungeon since they move so slow and the silver knights in Anor Londo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I AM BRAWW posted:

they have insane poise too!!! bitych ur fat but you're in robes!!

my only complaint so far.. other then that, usually enemies have p. good tells. by dark souls 3 players should be used to "oh ya pontiff is looking at me and moving his sword back ok he's definitely gonna do some super saiyan dash towards me"

It's the book slap that pisses me off with the evangelists. Everything else I can deal with but that just comes out too fast for how much damage it does and how easily it staggers you.

Now I just try to bait out the fire-hug, dodge it, and then murder them while they recover.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I finished DS1 a few years ago, and I am enjoying my way through DS3.

Should I bother playing DS2? (No access to PS, so Demon's Souls and Bloodbourne are not options at the moment). I bought it when it came out and started but lost interest pretty quickly. I remember reading that the enemies would disappear in a level if you died enough time. That always seemed weird to me since it seems like it would be difficult to grind. I tend to die a lot until I really get to know the levels.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Harrow posted:

I mean, I just don't agree with this particular flaw. My main complaints are that I think they went too far in reining in magic and now it's useless for 80% of the game (barring pyromancy), and that weapon balance, in general, is still pretty bad. Patch 1.04 helped, but I still feel a bit like I'm handicapping myself when I'm not using a straight sword, and I never felt like that in a previous Souls game. Even in Bloodborne, where the Saw Cleaver is easily the best PvE weapon (and yes, I'll argue that it's better than Ludwig's Holy Blade with any other Bloodborne players in this thread), I never felt like I was being punished for not using it.

Not as cool though, is it?

Also, Dark Souls 3 is way less punishing of sloppiness that Dark Souls 1. I went back to DaS1 just now and gosh.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jade Mage posted:

Yeah, screw the evangelists. My least favourite DS3 enemy by far.

I do kind of love the lore behind them even if they annoy me. That the church literally sent them out to lead/teach the unwashed masses. Since we all know that religion turns out so well in the Souls universe :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

pthighs posted:

Should I bother playing DS2? (No access to PS, so Demon's Souls and Bloodbourne are not options at the moment). I bought it when it came out and started but lost interest pretty quickly. I remember reading that the enemies would disappear in a level if you died enough time. That always seemed weird to me since it seems like it would be difficult to grind. I tend to die a lot until I really get to know the levels.

DS2 was heaps of fun for rear end in a top hat co-op on release but at this point there's nothing about it that the other games don't do better and it has some bewilderingly poor design choices besides, especially in the Scholar of the First Sin remake. It's not a bad game, but you're probably safe giving it a miss.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pablo Gigante posted:

You seem confused. I'm not saying it's too hard, or unmanageable, I'm saying it's tedious and unfun to deal with and does not interesting fights make.

Harrow posted:

This is the really unfortunate part. Not only does the sheer linearity make so many builds take so long to actually work, very few of them are worth the effort even then.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 22, 2016

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The best part about playing Carthus Wars: The Force Awakens is that blue cops always spawn and prod forward otherwise reluctant hosts into my devious trap.

Your 3 bodyguards can't save you from my magic, unkindled :getin:

I've just been on my phone for 15 minutes at a time while they get bored of sitting in the main catacombs fire. But they always come.
I promise I have more patience than the two laowais you brought with you

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

pthighs posted:

If you already own it it's worth playing, though I like it a lot more than most people. As for enemies despawning it only happens when you've killed them 12+ times, not just when YOU die a lot. If you're really obsessed with grinding there are ways around it, but you will probably not need to unless you're trying to get some super rare drop.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Guess that thread title is accurate. DS3 worse than all Souls games. :v:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Plus I now have 23 vertebrae. Way easier than normal invade since you can actually make the pick.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Harrow posted:

Fair enough. I can't comment on Bloodborne or Demon souls, since I don't have a ps3 or 4. I agree with you, though patch 1.04 made Flameberge a very variable pve and pvp weapon imho. But before that, I used straight swords exclusively. And yea, I was underwhelmed with miracles and sorcery too.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

You seem confused. I'm not saying it's too hard, or unmanageable, I'm saying it's tedious and unfun to deal with and does not interesting fights make.

And I'm saying it's none of those things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Random Hajile posted:

I'm loving the game, but I can't help but wonder who I need to bribe to get something with the Loyce Greatsword two-handed posture and moveset from DS2 included in the inevitable DLC.

Sadly probably not happening since it looks like they threw all the DS2 animations into a fire or something.