Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Random Hajile posted:

You're not wrong. Later on, if you follow a certain NPC's quest line, a grub appears within the chamber. If you kill that grub, it has the same drops as the Rosaria's Finger NPC invader that jumps you in the Road of Sacrifice and Ferron Keep swamps.

Reckon to me it seems that it's a mirror of the Fair Lady's covenant, but more perverse. In the pursuit of immortality Rosaria's most faithful try to become like their misshapen mistress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

You seem confused. I'm not saying it's too hard, or unmangeable, I'm saying it's tedious and unfun to deal with and does not interesting fights make.

There are a few enemies in the early game that, looking back, I think I agree with you just aren't fun to fight. Like the crucified dudes in the Crucifixion Woods--their combos are just unreasonably long and they stunlock you hard with them. They're just a pain in the rear end to deal with on all levels.

Oh, and the jump-and-stomp ghru dude, I hate that rear end in a top hat.

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is the really unfortunate part. Not only does the sheer linearity make so many builds take so long to actually work, very few of them are worth the effort even then.

What helps is that this part, at least, is very fixable, and I think it'll slowly get to a good point. Or we'll see a massive rebalancing patch around the time of the first DLC like DS2, though that one didn't turn out to a lot of people's tastes if I remember correctly.

It helps, too, that there's good build variety in PvP, at least. Straight swords are the God-Kings of PvE, but there's plenty of good and cool ways to fight in PvP. And other weapons really aren't bad, either--pretty much all of the axes are good (great and otherwise), as are halberd-type weapons (special mention to the Lucerne). Greatswords and ultra greatswords are better than they were (thanks, patch 1.04) but still not great, with a couple of exceptions. The dual weapons are fun and pretty good, too, once you're scaling them enough to make the L1 combos worth it (special mention here to the Drang Hammers).

Sorcery, especially, needs help in the early game, and miracles at least need a good weapon buff available early on. Blessed Weapon is trash and Lightning Weapon is pretty late, so you're kinda just plugging away with non-scaling weapons until then and it's kinda eh.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Any vaguely human shape enemy is insanely easy to backstab. Probably to easy. Especially the black Knights. How are y'all so bad at this.

Also enemies really aren't that fast and the only really bad enemy is the jailer who are kind of bullshit.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
try finger but hole

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Sadly probably not happening since it looks like they threw all the DS2 animations into a fire or something.

The Hollowslayer Greatsword's two-handed moveset is straight out of DS2, which is cool because I always liked that one.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Here's an idea: we use spoiler tags for everything past Farron Keep. Like this: Yhorm the Giant is easy mode for co-oping.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
HAHAHA.

I somehow managed to invade in that magical time where the host enters a boss battle but it's too late for the game to check if hostile phantoms are supposed to be there, so the host was running toward the curse-rotted greatwood while his two phantom buddies were outside, waiting to be let in. I jog up behind them and start cutting them up, and they both panic Alt-F4 out before they die. Sucks for me because I can't get the vertebra shackle, but the host ended up having to fight a double-buffed boss alone and he Alt-F4ed out too to keep himself from dying. It was still worth it to watch.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

For the "best" ending, is there any indication as to what the Lord of Hollows actually does? I didn't see any context for what it means to usurp the flame.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Harrow posted:

The Hollowslayer Greatsword's two-handed moveset is straight out of DS2, which is cool because I always liked that one.

That's a cool moveset, but I've always found it way less user friendly than the other greatsword movesets (on that score, the claymore is superlative in DS3).

I really like the Abyss Greatsword's moveset. There's something super novel about catching people dodging backwards with the weapon art R2 in the same way dodging backwards was a bad move when Artorias started flipping in DS1.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
The biggest problem I had with really fast bosses and slow weapons seems to be one of balance. I beat C.G. (who I think is one of the fastest) with the large club, it just took a long long time to figure out when I could strike (Basically, after a dodged kick attack and that's it.) or be willing to trade blows.

It works, and I feel like you CAN get it hit in on all bosses with the slowest weapons, the real problem is that why would I do that when I can get a dark sword and poo poo damage all over him and his entire family for three generations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Anatolia's Mercenary is the cooler of the two. :colbert:

You're good people ACES CURE PLANES.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FutonForensic posted:

For the "best" ending, is there any indication as to what the Lord of Hollows actually does? I didn't see any context for what it means to usurp the flame.

We lack the context to say much of anything with certainty until/if DLC touches on the subject.

The Sable Church of Londor promises salvation to Hollows but what does salvation mean in this context? Why/How is Anri still alive in the LoH ending, and only sometimes at that? What does that imply?

It's the end of the series and they probably wanted to leave things open ended on purpose so everyone can headcanon their own satisfactory resolution.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

I'm bad at piecing together the lore in these games, but I'm really interested in what's going on with the grubs near Rosaria's Bed Chamber, especially the one that only shows up later and drops Heysel's stuff. That whole place gives me major Iosefka's Clinic vibes.

WHEN???? When did this grub show up for you? I am still trying to get the drat Xanthous helm and it is far, far too late to get it from the invader in the Road.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

sandoz posted:

WHEN???? When did this grub show up for you? I am still trying to get the drat Xanthous helm and it is far, far too late to get it from the invader in the Road.

She showed up for me as soon as I joined the covenant and rested at the bonfire. Then again, I killed her as an invader too.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Quick question, does anyone know what "protect message" does when you're viewing past messages you've left?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

sandoz posted:

I found Rosaria way after I'd beaten Aldrich. That grub didn't show up right away but after, I moved on to the dungeons, closed the game, came back the next day, and returned to the chamber and it was there. So... eye dee kay?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Xenolalia posted:

Quick question, does anyone know what "protect message" does when you're viewing past messages you've left?

You can only have a max of 10 messages, if you go over that it'll delete the oldest ones unless you protect them

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

voltron lion force posted:

It also tracked how many online interactions you've had which I thought was pretty cool.

DS3 actually does this too. It's right next to the max reinforcement level it uses for matchmaking.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

I've been going back to Rosaria's Bedchamber several times every play session for days in a row now, I've killed at least a half-dozen bosses since kindling that bonfire, and still nothing.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

sandoz posted:

I have no idea what triggers it. It wasn't there when I first got to Rosaria's area and then it was there after I'd beaten the final boss. I don't think I checked any time in between.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
During post-game I got the covenant to +1 and the grub showed up without fighting the dark spirit earlier.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Lester Shy posted:

I have no idea what triggers it. It wasn't there when I first got to Rosaria's area and then it was there after I'd beaten the final boss. I don't think I checked any time in between.

Now that I think of it, I might have not tried to get the hat until I wanted to cosplay a little for Dragonslayer Armor. Maybe it's a post-Dancer thing?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tamayachi posted:

The only issue I've had with the camera is really just the lock-on. Sometimes I feel like it pops off when it feels like it, especially with those goat demon things. Jumped too high? Lock-on falls off. He's behind you now? Lock-on falls off. Even the ones sitting near the bonfire will break the lock-on while getting up :psyduck: It's just a minor thing, but it feels like it's more sensitive than in DS2

This is something I've been feeling but I wasn't sure if my memory was just bad. Does the lock on feel worse than other Souls games to anyone else? Like, its a lot harder to lock onto something even when its plainly visible. The lock on range seems a lot more sensitive, requiring you to be closer and breaking fairly quickly if you move back. And if there's anything in the way that keeps your view of the enemy from being completely clear, it will never lock on. I remember trying to lock onto a lothric knight once and it was literally impossible because he kept moving in between some pillars that covered parts of his model so the game said "nope, I don't see anyone there".

It hasn't kept me from playing the game, obviously, but I don't remember having so much trouble with lock on in the past.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I got the bonfire before Rosaria but didn't join the covenant because I wanted to do Sirris' quest. Once I did that (post Aldritch/Yhorm), I warped to the Rosaria bonfire and the grub was there. So now I have 2 Xanthous hats.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FutonForensic posted:

The visual and conceptual nature of that ending, which is associated with the serpents via Yuria and has the same "people kneeling" victory walk, suggested to me that it's just a mirror of the Dark Lord ending from Dark Souls 1. You're the biggest, baddest motherfucker in the Abyss and you're taking the throne like the Age of Dark's version of Gwyn. You're the undead king of the new age, long may your face be gross. I figure the idea of "salvation" for hollows simply means allowing them to live forever rather than linking the fire, which we know from Dark Souls temporarily rids the world of the Darksign and by extension presumably lays all the hollows to rest.

My real question is what the deal is with the other ending that isn't either of those things. I think maybe it's just a more melancholy, benign version.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
re: enemies attack chat. I just fought the Nameless King and man, phase 2 of that fight just feels completely unfair. He does a quick 2 hit combo which is fine, then he has an incredibly delayed strong attack which I saw him do 3 times in a loving row. I think only 1 of his attacks is actually punishable in that you can hit him more than once without eating half your HP to a spear.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

sandoz posted:

It showed up for me after advancing Leonhard's story enough that he murdered Rosaria.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

There's a video of him beating the final boss with it.

It's 27 minutes long.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Atreiden posted:

Am I the only one fairly disappointed in DS III?
In both DS and DS II, I cared about the lore, I wanted to know more about Artorias, Gwyn and so
on in DS. In DS II, I wanted to know more about Vendrick, what he stole from the giants. The giants them self, Drangleic, Nashandra and the other dark queens. There was so much lore to explore.

DS III feels really empty. The gameplay and dungeons are great, but storywise, there is nothing. It's way too linear and npc quests are easily broken. It's not even hard, you are just forced to consult a walkthrough unless you want to break an npc questline. The lore seems nonexistent and the game tries way to hard to be DS 1. From everything to the dungeon order, to covenants and progression. You start in a graveyard with a simple boss, goes to firelink shrine, then a castle with a dragon on a bridge, a city of undead, a poison swamp and a forrest with pvp covenant and so on.

I'm probably alone on this. but I think DS II was better game than DS III. More weapon classes, more interesting covenants, especially ratbro's and bellkeepers and just more and better lore/story.

Idiot

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Goddamn, the Drang Hammers are so fresh

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

sandoz posted:

There's nothing in the wikis or anything about this but did you get the Xanthous ashes in Irithyll Dungeon? Maybe that's one of the triggers

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Is there any way at all to play this game in borderless windowed mode? ShiftWindow doesn't work, and I don't want to use a hack that will just get me softbanned. I like being able to tab out to chat with my friends every once in a while but in fullscreen it takes a couple seconds to do so, and I don't want to play in windowed mode now that I have my GTX 970 and can play in silky, smooth 60 FPS.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Goddamn, the Drang Hammers are so fresh

This video has me wanting to make a Strength guy just to use those https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8_015EKDlY

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
When is the patch coming out for PS4? Mine still hasn't downloaded :shrug:

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Random Hajile posted:

It showed up for me after advancing Leonhard's story enough that he murdered Rosaria.

Yeah I'm at that point too, she's dead and I have her soul in my inventory, no grub. I wonder if it is Aldrich?

Help Im Alive posted:

There's nothing in the wikis or anything about this but did you get the Xanthous ashes in Irithyll Dungeon? Maybe that's one of the triggers

Yep, I got the Xanthous ashes and I can buy the Xanthous chest. Still no grub.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

LOL

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If I wanted to PvP against other relatively new players (but not just dunk on people with no idea what's coming) what covenant should I join and what level range / area should I be in? Or is there no reasonable way to accomodate this?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If I wanted to PvP against other relatively new players (but not just dunk on people with no idea what's coming) what covenant should I join and what level range / area should I be in? Or is there no reasonable way to accomodate this?

use a red eye orb in road of sacrifices at level 30

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

My best guess would be to get the red eye orb and invade in any area after undead settlement but before carthus, around level 25-40 with a +2 or 3 weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The mid-20's through to level 40 has the Halfway Fort in the Crucifixion Woods as the best place for 1v1 pvp. Lots of duels and regular summoning. Higher levels seem to favor the balcony after the Pontiff fight.