Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Man this league looked like so much fun but so many other games came out like three weeks into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

This is the most ostentatious thing I've ever seen.

How are you even going to cap your resists?

Nezkar
Nov 6, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

probably with guardian strats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD8BgtMCWhw

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
you know how charan had been saying that he had written a book and based his weapons and goddess on it?

l m a o

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Phobophilia posted:

you know how charan had been saying that he had written a book and based his weapons and goddess on it?

l m a o

M'lady on the first page. lol.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
2.2.2b Notes

quote:

Fixed a bug where Perandus chest bosses could be deleted prior to their death.
I think this actually bit me - had one of the rare bosses spawn, waited to bring in some of you guys, but he had disappeared by the time evreyone was in. Think its the last one I need now too.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Budgie posted:

M'lady on the first page. lol.

i loving love chapter one, where the mc is (a) named after his screen name, (b) has a hidden power, (c) is bitter about his childhood crush, (d) horribly bullied by his village and his father, and somehow (e) also the son of the richest person in the village

are we saying something here

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Phobophilia posted:

i loving love chapter one, where the mc is (a) named after his screen name, (b) has a hidden power, (c) is bitter about his childhood crush, (d) horribly bullied by his village and his father, and somehow (e) also the son of the richest person in the village

are we saying something here

:perfect:

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I couldn't make it past the prologue.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Is it normal to get the uncontrollable urge to grab a red pen and start correcting everywhere? Because that's the urge I've been getting since the second paragraph.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

The same way every WI LL character does it. You run 4 purities with like 60% increased aura effect. Lvl 20 purities give like 68% all resists base, with 50% aura effectiveness that's 102 all resists. You always pick up Elementalist and have the choice to pick up Nullification for 2 points, which would give 22 more all resist, and then Fire/Ice walkers take you to around cap in those. Shav's gives the extra lightning resist. As a Scion I also have the choice to pick up Sentinel to cover my resists if needed, and there's obviously jewels.

In reality, though, I would consider Bated Breath and Acuity to be relatively replaceable by resist pieces since I don't actually feel like the extra bit of damage is necessary and can definitely get more ES by using alternatives. Depending on the math, replacing a Perandus Signet with an int/ES/%ES ring might be less of a loss than dropping Acuity as well. I would definitely prefer to not have to use Purity of Elements so I can run a Blasphemy curse instead.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Im hoping to try and run a WI Templar character on standard in a few weeks because I have a level 80 with no points just sitting there. I have the main uniques except the Shavs on Perandus and have 3-4 ex sidelined to buy one at the end of league if I dont get a Cadiro with one in it by then. It seems pretty fun and if not I didnt pay much for my other uniques (ie 1c for the Whispering Ice, 30c for a corrupted Astramentis that didnt corrupt anything).

I might struggle to make mine amazing since Im not rich enough for all the uniques etc, but I get the jist and have a rough plan of how to work it from the forums.

I get the feeling this really is a league of low prices for most items.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Just gave away something like...I dunno, 6 or 7 ex worth of poo poo? Maybe more? I can't price worth a drat.

Good times.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Got a Divination Distillate with a max rarity roll yesterday, was pretty happy about that :toot:

Any tips for getting the most out of it? I've found that turning off an aura right before using it helps keep my mana low enough to get the full duration. Avoiding leech helps, too.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

Got a Divination Distillate with a max rarity roll yesterday, was pretty happy about that :toot:

Any tips for getting the most out of it? I've found that turning off an aura right before using it helps keep my mana low enough to get the full duration. Avoiding leech helps, too.

that sounds like way too much work

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

It is a huge pain and it's the reason why people use certain skills for MF builds. The best way to use DD is:

1. Play a build that cannot make use of leech.
2. Play a build that doesn't require you to actively use your skills to kill monsters.
3. Play a build where the main skills use way more mana than you can reasonably regen.

This is why everyone uses Caustic Arrow, some kind of Totems, or Summoners for MF. They are skills that don't require active mana spending to kill monsters and you can stand there dumping your mana if you want to keep DD active for a few seconds while you wait for a boss to die.

Similar but worse, if you find the breakpoint where you can sustain mana very well using mana on kill, but not otherwise, that works too. I was doing this when I moved all my MF gear to my LA Pathfinder and just regretted my mana leech node. I could sustain mana off of Assassin's Mark alone on normal mobs with a 4L + Item Rarity, but then emptied my mana pool on bosses so I could keep DD up.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
New skill coming with next challenge league: Spirit Offering. Grants partial physical->chaos damage conversion (great :jerkbag:) and instant percentage-of-life ES recovery.

papanugget
Aug 8, 2000

Tai posted:

Another build to mock.

Ice Trapper/SAB

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...g7uFe968NX79f66

This is what I'm looking to get once I'm 70ish. Any changes recommended? Where to go next? Life, Damage etc.

I'm starting to take a few beatings now but I figured that is mostly due to poo poo gear and not enough life passives yet.

Link your character profile and let's take a look at the gear to see what can be improved. I wouldn't bother pathing up into Heart of Oak or Phase Acro. That should let you get more life. I followed Pohx's ice trapper guide here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1601772

As an example here' s my ice trapper Mike_Oxarde:
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/papanugget/characters
Most of my gear was super cheap but everything has been cheap this league. I bought the 5 link as a white for a chaos and threw a couple alch/scours on it. The Le Heup was a Cardiro deal and the Ventor's Gamble was self found divination card turn in . Everything else was bought one piece at a time slowly for like 2-5 chaos when I had the currency. Oh, I don't actually use the bear trap or firestorm trap. I 'm just leveling them up and they were what I used early game.

papanugget fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 22, 2016

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Made my first flicker strike build. Using Oro's Sacrifice, etc. It's the most absurd thing I've ever seen and I'm going to die horribly to reflect at some point even with 100% Ruby Flask uptime. But it's so ridiculously over the top that it'll probably be the build that gets me to keep playing even after I get booted from HC into standard.

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

I came back after only playing a little in beta and just after launch, basically a new player, and started with Flicker Strike. I'm in SC so it's not exactly punishing when I die but it is 100% ridiculous and got me to learn the game. Now I have 6 characters and want to play HC next league. What have I done? :ohdear:

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

UnholyCow posted:

I came back after only playing a little in beta and just after launch, basically a new player, and started with Flicker Strike. I'm in SC so it's not exactly punishing when I die but it is 100% ridiculous and got me to learn the game. Now I have 6 characters and want to play HC next league. What have I done? :ohdear:

Enjoyed yourself

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

UnholyCow posted:

You done good!

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

Turns out with ~lvl 15 auras and a bit of resist from Jewels, I have to wear a rare belt to cap my resists. RIP the dream.

Also, this is what my current planned reservation setup looks like. The lvl 4 Enlighten comes from using a lvl 3 Enlighten in The Vertex. It gives me all 4 Purities, Discipline, Arctic Armour, 1 Blasphemy curse, and 1 low level Clarity. I have 3.5% leech since at least for now I have no intention of dropping Life Leech gem and get 1.5% from Berserker ascendancy node. What curse should I use? I could also drop both AA and Blasphemy for Grace, Haste, or Heralds, but I don't think those are particularly useful for WI.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

whypick1 posted:

New skill coming with next challenge league: Spirit Offering. Grants partial physical->chaos damage conversion (great :jerkbag:) and instant percentage-of-life ES recovery.

It's actually a portion of physical added as chaos, which is effectively a more modifier on phys damage and could be very effective, depending on the actual number.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
so there must be some sort of scripting going on, found a high dps coronal mace, put it up for apparently way too less, and literally seconds later I get spammed to death by trade requests

turns out you can find good stuff, it just has to be extreme, this time of the league

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

poe.trade has built in automatic alerts for your searches, as do other indexers.

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011

The Real Foogla posted:

so there must be some sort of scripting going on, found a high dps coronal mace, put it up for apparently way too less, and literally seconds later I get spammed to death by trade requests

turns out you can find good stuff, it just has to be extreme, this time of the league

There is a button on poe.trade which is named live search.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
Hi I've been playing this for a week and its kinda fun. I just got to merciless on my berserker and have been trying to learn as I go rather than googling everything, but now I've been reading up on some stuff since I assume the game will get harder. I've made some terrible errors such as using all my chaos orbs and other valuable stuff on random crap so now I have pretty much nothing of value except one exalted orb that I thankfully didn't use.

Anyways I have a few questions:

- Is my best bet for starting to trade using poe.trade to buy chaos orbs with my exalted orb and then buying gear?
- I'm a 2h marauder/berserker currently using Sunder as my main attack using the passive Resolute Technique because I have no crit gear/passives. Is this a viable way to play later on or will my dps be too terrible?
- This is my passive build. I've been focusing on phys damage and jewel sockets and some life% and nearby stuff that looks like good value. Can I get some advice on what to aim for next or important passives I'm missing?
- What is the best cheap 2h weapon for my build?

Thanks!

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Erz posted:

Hi I've been playing this for a week and its kinda fun. I just got to merciless on my berserker and have been trying to learn as I go rather than googling everything, but now I've been reading up on some stuff since I assume the game will get harder. I've made some terrible errors such as using all my chaos orbs and other valuable stuff on random crap so now I have pretty much nothing of value except one exalted orb that I thankfully didn't use.

Anyways I have a few questions:

- Is my best bet for starting to trade using poe.trade to buy chaos orbs with my exalted orb and then buying gear?
- I'm a 2h marauder/berserker currently using Sunder as my main attack using the passive Resolute Technique because I have no crit gear/passives. Is this a viable way to play later on or will my dps be too terrible?
- This is my passive build. I've been focusing on phys damage and jewel sockets and some life% and nearby stuff that looks like good value. Can I get some advice on what to aim for next or important passives I'm missing?
- What is the best cheap 2h weapon for my build?

Thanks!

Now that poe.trade exists, you are in literally every case, better off buying what you need over trying to craft it. When you find something you need, use the currency trade market to convert everything to chaos/ex and buy it one piece at a time. Make sure you buy pieces that already have the right colored gem sockets, saves you some time. You should still be leveling your masters, because its entirely possible to get a sweet drop that is missing a prefix or suffix and just waiting for you to craft it on. Don't worry too much about not having currency though, not sure what level you are, you can farm dried lake in merciless until 80, or if your build feels strong get into the map game. Unfortunately maps get expensive because if you manage to get to red maps (12-15) you'll be chisel/alching every map and quickly burn through more currency until you're out of maps and end up back in lower level maps farming currency.

Also you may want to wiki the chaos vendor recipe, you should be saving every 65+ ring and amulet that drops. Get an item filter so they stand out on the ground.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

redwalrus posted:

Now that poe.trade exists, you are in literally every case, better off buying what you need over trying to craft it. When you find something you need, use the currency trade market to convert everything to chaos/ex and buy it one piece at a time. Make sure you buy pieces that already have the right colored gem sockets, saves you some time. You should still be leveling your masters, because its entirely possible to get a sweet drop that is missing a prefix or suffix and just waiting for you to craft it on. Don't worry too much about not having currency though, not sure what level you are, you can farm dried lake in merciless until 80, or if your build feels strong get into the map game. Unfortunately maps get expensive because if you manage to get to red maps (12-15) you'll be chisel/alching every map and quickly burn through more currency until you're out of maps and end up back in lower level maps farming currency.

Also you may want to wiki the chaos vendor recipe, you should be saving every 65+ ring and amulet that drops. Get an item filter so they stand out on the ground.

Thanks, I just installed the filter linked in the first post and it seems nice. I feel pretty dumb with how much I've wasted by not bothering to trade. Oh well!

e: lmao I just found Perandus dude selling an exalted orb for 800ish coins. I was like 100 short so I ran around looking for more and luckily got back before the map reset. So I have a bit more currency to work with now i guess

Erz fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 23, 2016

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Erz posted:

Thanks, I just installed the filter linked in the first post and it seems nice. I feel pretty dumb with how much I've wasted by not bothering to trade. Oh well!

Well, dont. If this is your first character and you're still lower level its entirely possible you don't have much of value to trade anyway. As it gets later in the league though you'll be able to buy better and better rings/necks/belts/gear on the trade for less and less, with the exception of some items. You can get really nice jewelry for 10-20c. It might sound like a lot if you've spent all of yours, but truth is if you look at some of your other currency you probably already have 40-50c just sitting there in fusings and other things. Don't feel dumb though, trading used to be watching trade chat all day and it was awful, so this quality of life poe.trade stuff came around a few leagues ago, but the currency stuff which is new has completely changed the game, and perandus league seems to have drops in abundance, its a great time to play.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The currency tab has done an excellent job of enabling my hoarding. Previously, I would have a dedicated currency tab and fill it up with exactly one row of whatever currency, then have another tab of overflow. When I get a whole row of jewelers in the overflow tab, I convert them all into fusings. When I get a whole overflow tab of fusings, I either sell some for exalts or go on a fusing adventure. Now I just mindlessly shove them into my currency tab without thinking. I have 1875 jewelers now :eyepop:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I never have jewlers because I convert 64 each day into fusings

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
Hmm poe.trade owns I just did my first trade and it took like 30 seconds and quadrupled my dps. Wish I'd been tradin all along :)

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Another trading convert addict is born.

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
So I just chanced a skyforth, what's a good build to use them with. I figure some kind of ci crit build?

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

I kind of want to try an Infernal Blow/Avatar of Fire build with Hegemony's Era, I'm debating between Assassin and Inquisitor for my class, with a tree like this
What do people think would work well with the build?

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of trading, I'm having the hardest time figuring out which items are worth a drat and which aren't.

I found a jewel:
4% IAS
8% IAS with bows
.29% phys attack leeched as mana
10% projectile damage

That's gotta be worth something, right?

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

resting bort face posted:

Speaking of trading, I'm having the hardest time figuring out which items are worth a drat and which aren't.

I found a jewel:
4% IAS
8% IAS with bows
.29% phys attack leeched as mana
10% projectile damage

That's gotta be worth something, right?

Hover over your item in-game and hit ctrl-c, open up http://poe.trade click on Import item data, paste into the box which will auto-fill all the fields when you hit Import!, and see what's available on there to price it. If you don't get any results, check all the fields and lower the minimum values until you find something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Hover over your item in-game and hit ctrl-c, open up http://poe.trade click on Import item data, paste into the box which will auto-fill all the fields when you hit Import!, and see what's available on there to price it. If you don't get any results, check all the fields and lower the minimum values until you find something similar.

Didn't know that you could copy item data like that. This will be very useful.

• Locked thread