Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jose posted:

Luffy has rubber powers because of a thought It would always result in fun fights so he's not losing the power
He's definitely not losing it and going on a quest to get it back or anything, but given Blackbeard's power, I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least a moment in the fight where Luffy's power is nullified somehow, and can't stretch and he's just a small normal man... and he beats up Blackbeard anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Luffy's fruit has always seemed kinda weak, even Gear 2/3 which is supposed to make him super strong/fast still made him weaker physically then Don Flamingo who's vague ability of "strings" let him do an insane amount of poo poo.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Blackbeard activates his darkness field and monologues about his power being the strongest since it can stop even mighty logia users on their tracks.

Cut to Luffy, finger in his nose, "okay".

Then he punches Blackbeard really hard.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Luffy will try his stretch attacks from afar and try a few times not quite understanding until it's spelled out to him to comedic effect. The Luffy just pulled the poo poo out of him by the end of the chapter. The next chapter is when the fruits com back out and poo poo gets real

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Rodgers illness was exactly that, it was just his natural life spawn that comes with his life and Luffy will echo it in the epilogue when his hey fails him after the lifelong abuse of his Gear fighting style, of course his legend won't die

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Rodgers illness was exactly that, it was just his natural life spawn that comes with his life and Luffy will echo it in the epilogue when his hey fails him after the lifelong abuse of his Gear fighting style, of course his legend won't die

ever since it was stated roger died from a mystery illness its been pretty clear to me that luffy will get it but chopper will cure it instead of him dying

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Luffy's fruit has always seemed kinda weak, even Gear 2/3 which is supposed to make him super strong/fast still made him weaker physically then Don Flamingo who's vague ability of "strings" let him do an insane amount of poo poo.

Luffy's fruit is monstrous dude, he's one of the only characters in this series capable of breaking entire islands because of it. If you pay attention you'll notice all the other fights you hear about between total beasts take days and days because most combatants don't have the offensive power to punch through Haki. Luffy physically kept up with Doffy fine, he just needed to kick his rear end in under 30 minutes and is one of the very few people in the world of One Piece who could do that.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I don't think eternal life surgery is off the table yet for the final battle, especially with how the New World has been syncing closely with the first half of the series. Law's dream has been fulfilled, I could see him growing strong enough to use it safely or sacrificing himself for the final push of the series.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Jose posted:

Luffy has rubber powers because of a thought It would always result in fun fights so he's not losing the power

Yea, he had rubber powers so that Oda could have fun with him not just in fights but in general, and he tends to do a lot with him even on the transitional stuff between arcs where they're just sailing around on the ship that relies on it. So I don't see him losing it since it really wouldn't add much but would lose a good bit of the humor.

anime was right posted:

luffy will probably lose his powers when fighting blackbeard but only temporarily but itll probably be the downer moment before luffys like "lol nah"

One thing I like about Blackbeard is that he has the same fault in all his fights, expecting his own ability "to negate powers" to just finish the fight in one go and everyone surprising him by just shrugging it off. Ace did it, Whitebeard did it and I think Sengoku might have too. Luffy will almost definitely lose his power for at least a few moments in the fight. He just won't care.

Thunderbro posted:

I don't think eternal life surgery is off the table yet for the final battle, especially with how the New World has been syncing closely with the first half of the series. Law's dream has been fulfilled, I could see him growing strong enough to use it safely or sacrificing himself for the final push of the series.

I don't see it happening, just because I can't see Luffy as the kind of guy who'd enjoy or want an eternal life. He'd get too bored. It's not the kind of thing that good guys do, even as a sacrifice in my opinion. I can see someone else wanting to abuse him for it, but I can't see him using it.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

tsob posted:

I don't see it happening, just because I can't see Luffy as the kind of guy who'd enjoy or want an eternal life. He'd get too bored. It's not the kind of thing that good guys do, even as a sacrifice in my opinion. I can see someone else wanting to abuse him for it, but I can't see him using it.

I don't see eternal life happening, but I do see it being used to keep Luffy from dying or something to do with the WG's spiffy secret treasure Doffy was hinting at. It'll probably be something like the rest of the royal treasures we've seen so far, only uber.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Xelkelvos posted:

Luffy will try his stretch attacks from afar and try a few times not quite understanding until it's spelled out to him to comedic effect. The Luffy just pulled the poo poo out of him by the end of the chapter. The next chapter is when the fruits com back out and poo poo gets real

Luffy face 16 page spread poster for chapter 1100

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Thunderbro posted:

I don't see eternal life happening, but I do see it being used to keep Luffy from dying or something to do with the WG's spiffy secret treasure Doffy was hinting at. It'll probably be something like the rest of the royal treasures we've seen so far, only uber.

The thing is eternal doesn't mean it balances out Luffy's reduced lifespan to normal length. Eternal means forever. No death, at least through natural causes. Ever. Which (a) I can't see Luffy or anyone else needing or wanting to do and (b) implies Chopper isn't good enough to cure Luffy of whatever and needs to fall back on Law. Which I also don't see happening. Curing the uncurable is Chopper's dream, and you're suggesting he'll fail and need someone else to do it instead.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I figure if the eternal life thing comes into play, it'll be with a character introduced for the purposes of developing Law. Say, someone who's suffering from the same disease he was or he finds that he's not the last survivor of his country.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Begemot posted:

Blackbeard activates his darkness field and monologues about his power being the strongest since it can stop even mighty logia users on their tracks.

Cut to Luffy, finger in his nose, "okay".

Then he punches Blackbeard really hard.

Xelkelvos posted:

Did the anime just invent the whole scrum between Luffy and Blackbeard in Impel Down? Because they exchanged a couple punches and Blackbeard briefly canceled the Gum Gum power. Of course since Luffy is still inhumanly strong even without the fruit, Teach got knocked down despite taking the rubber away.

Thunderbro posted:

Luffy's fruit is monstrous dude, he's one of the only characters in this series capable of breaking entire islands because of it. If you pay attention you'll notice all the other fights you hear about between total beasts take days and days because most combatants don't have the offensive power to punch through Haki. Luffy physically kept up with Doffy fine, he just needed to kick his rear end in under 30 minutes and is one of the very few people in the world of One Piece who could do that.

Yeah, it's a quasi logia fruit that makes him all but immune to blunt force trauma. Also electricity means nothing to him and he can both increase and decrease his size. That's aside from using his rubber power to increase the power of his attacks via elastic acceleration, mass increase, or giving himself a brief super soldier boost.

He can literally stand in front of a cannon and take no damage while simultaneously being struck with enough voltage to melt the cannon.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Nah, that fight was real. Real awesome, that is. Luffy and Teach both managed to get great hits on each other, we learned that Luffy definitely feels very strongly about Blackbeard's involvement in Ace's death. Some people seem to think Luffy is like, indifferent or feels more strongly about Akainu, but Luffy straight up attacked Teach in a blind rage despite their time limit. That's gonna be such a good fight goddamn.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
During Ace and Blackbeard's fight, I believe it was Van Augur that commented on how physically powerful Ace still was despite having the fire fruit's powers nullified. They mention how most DF users come to rely on their fruits so much that they're super weak without it. Luffy and Sabo both are monstrously powerful as well so that underestimation of strength will probably be Blackbeard's downfall.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Shoren posted:

During Ace and Blackbeard's fight, I believe it was Van Augur that commented on how physically powerful Ace still was despite having the fire fruit's powers nullified. They mention how most DF users come to rely on their fruits so much that they're super weak without it. Luffy and Sabo both are monstrously powerful as well so that underestimation of strength will probably be Blackbeard's downfall.

Yeah, Whitebeard even said as much while he had Blackbeard pinned on the ground during their duel at Marineford.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I wonder what would happen if Blackbeard ever grabbed Brooke. Would he just die on the spot? Would his soul come back once he was released?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

would chopper just turn into a regular reindeer? what about funkfried, or that dog gun?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shoren posted:

I do like that they comment on how most DF users over rely on their DF power and freak out when it doesn't work. Then moments after his power doesn't leave his opponent quaking in fear, Blackbeard always freaks out. Ace, Luffy, and Whitebeard all respond to losing their power with a hearty "gently caress You, Then" punch, which is apparently too much for Blackbeard. Interestingly, the only one of the three that actually loses to Blackbeard is the one that decides to go right back to doing a Devil Fruit Power Showdown. Luffy and Whitebeard were constrained by outside events which kept them from really laying down an rear end beating, but both seems pretty quick to accept they'd have to beat his rear end the old fashioned way.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Shoren posted:

Another example being pekoms stomping the mud guy on Fishman Island and saying how logias always think they're hot poo poo and rely too much on their fruits.

Also to the guy

Thunderbro posted:

There are a ton of DF's that can destroy entire islands. Problem is user error.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Pretty much yeah. Whitebeard could destroy the earth if he wanted to.

But others are insanely powerful in their own right. Foxy would be next to invincible if he wasn't a complete goober. Moria could instantly kill you by stealing your shadow during day time. Crocodile could potentially drain all the water from an island, leaving it a desert wasteland. And that's not even taking awakening into consideration.

It's how you use it basically. I don't even want to know what someone with the kilo/kilo fruit could do if they turned the thing up all the way.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Awakened sword fruit turns everything into swords, problem solved.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Luffy gets saved by his fruit a lot obviously. Not just against Enel but probably the same thing against Lucci because beating a rubber man most of the way to death was probably kind of hard for anyone. Of course, it'd be useless offensively if he wasn't already monstrously strong. During the sequences where he trained with Ace all Ace did was taunt him because he wasn't strong enough to make his attacks work yet. So he could obviously do things like punch the poo poo out of Bellamy just as well if he wasn't a rubber man. And Blackbeard is only so dangerous with the Gura gura no mi because he's incredibly strong as well. That's the one I'd like to see on a weakling to see how little it would do.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The biggest irony with Blackbeard is that, with how much he crows about Devil Fruit users being overly reliant on their powers, Blackbeard is the most dependent on his powers to nullify the power of others and acts like the rug is pulled out from under him when his tricks don't work on the genuinely strong. :ironicat:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

The biggest irony with Blackbeard is that, with how much he crows about Devil Fruit users being overly reliant on their powers, Blackbeard is the most dependent on his powers to nullify the power of others and acts like the rug is pulled out from under him when his tricks don't work on the genuinely strong. :ironicat:

I like that Blackbeard isn't portrayed as some invincible super strong enemy that nobody can land a scratch on. When Ace first confronts him and burns him, Blackbeard is like "OW THAT'S HOT" and rolls around on the ground. He has no plan to deal with Magellan and would have died if Shilliew didn't show up. He's not some stoic badass, he's a goofball just like Luffy, but who happens to be evil.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly, Blackbeard seems like a big drama queen.

He makes a big deal about getting hit but is always just fine afterwards.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Blackbeard was secretly Usopp all along!

But yeah, he's definitely taking less damage than it looks and is just playing it up because he finds it amusing. Dude is tough.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Naw, it's the other way around, the strain on his body makes even the lightest hit feel like a serious injury, his goons mention that during the Ace scene. That's what made Luffy knocking him out in Impel Dawn so great. Also jesus chriest when he powers it up and his eyes are blood shot

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Blackbeard is legit because Ace's flashback shows how he could've easily been a division commander if he wanted

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

HerraS posted:

Blackbeard is legit because Ace's flashback shows how he could've easily been a division commander if he wanted

Wasn't that also before Blackbeard killed Thatch to get the Yami-Yami no Mi?

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

HerraS posted:

Not only that but Blackbeard was the one that gave Shanks that scar over his eye.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Naw, it's the other way around, the strain on his body makes even the lightest hit feel like a serious injury, his goons mention that during the Ace scene. That's what made Luffy knocking him out in Impel Dawn so great. Also jesus chriest when he powers it up and his eyes are blood shot

isn't it something like 'Because he can't avoid attacks due to the way his Fruit Works, Blackbeard has to literally eat every attack thrown at him with his face, and it hurts even worse then normal' or whatever?

Like he's tough, because he's getting hit a lot harder then someone else would, but that doesn't mean he's not a massive goober.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

I guess this is probably a big discussion over conflicting translations

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I wonder how much of Blackbeard's bitching out is due to his fruit amplifying his damage. It's easy to write him off as, "a wuss with a broken fruit", but this is the guy who, prior to having any powers at all, scarred Shanks for life, and was a candidate for Division Commander of Whitebeard's crew. Before the series started he got a fruit that makes him take way more damage and feel way more pain. He looks bad when a couple fire lances have him rolling on the ground and screaming, or when he begs Whitebeard for his life, or when Impel Down era Luffy can make him bleed from the head from a single punch, but this is still a guy making big things happen in the New World.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Advice posted:

I wonder how much of Blackbeard's bitching out is due to his fruit amplifying his damage. It's easy to write him off as, "a wuss with a broken fruit", but this is the guy who, prior to having any powers at all, scarred Shanks for life, and was a candidate for Division Commander of Whitebeard's crew. Before the series started he got a fruit that makes him take way more damage and feel way more pain. He looks bad when a couple fire lances have him rolling on the ground and screaming, or when he begs Whitebeard for his life, or when Impel Down era Luffy can make him bleed from the head from a single punch, but this is still a guy making big things happen in the New World.

Seems to fit his 'big risk, big reward, rely on luck (and trickery/deceit)' style and approach to life.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Andarel posted:

Awakened sword fruit turns everything into swords, problem solved.
Time for Zoro to recreate the Usopp sword scene with Daz Bones.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

isn't it something like 'Because he can't avoid attacks due to the way his Fruit Works, Blackbeard has to literally eat every attack thrown at him with his face, and it hurts even worse then normal' or whatever?

Like he's tough, because he's getting hit a lot harder then someone else would, but that doesn't mean he's not a massive goober.

This is how I've always interpreted it, dude landed a solid blow against Shanks that wasn't a sucker punch or something. Since the Dark Dark fruit draws in things it's not too crazy to assume it's drawing in attacks, maybe even to the point where Haki does nothing to blunt the damage since he knows what it is way back in Mock Town.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Last Celebration posted:

This is how I've always interpreted it, dude landed a solid blow against Shanks that wasn't a sucker punch or something. Since the Dark Dark fruit draws in things it's not too crazy to assume it's drawing in attacks, maybe even to the point where Haki does nothing to blunt the damage since he knows what it is way back in Mock Town.

He was with the Whitebeard Pirates for many years with Haki-users in their top ranks, so it's understandable he'd know about Haki.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
My take on Blackbeard is that he's a regular guy who dreams big and achieves his goals through deceit and backstabbing. In the Pirate Warriors games, he has a very clumsy-looking way of fighting. He hasn't been shown (as far as I can remember) to know how to use combat haki, and he takes hits like a wimp. I've heard people call him a tank but this is One Piece, where people shrug of life-threatening injuries every other chapter. It has been mentioned that his fruit absorbs damage, but even so I think he's just a wimp – when the big showdown with him comes, I don't really see him zipping around the battlefield like most strong characters. Shanks also implies that he didn't get his scar in a straight-up fight.

The only thing that might contradict this is him being well-respected enough in the Whitebeard pirates to be offered the position of division commander, but he might have just been a great pirate by being dastardly rather than strong. He kept a low profile and was a complete unknown to the marines – before becoming a warlord, his bounty was 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it is kinda funny how blackbeard made such a big deal over his fruit nullifying the logia adventage when haki gets introduced pretty soon afterwards