Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BBJoey posted:

the stellaris thread is real bad

Stellaris is giving me serious Civ 5 vibes and anybody who pre-orders that poo poo is a goddamn mook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I'm going to pre-order Stellaris

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

In Training posted:

I'm kinda tempted to buy the 7 DLCs I don't have but I would probably be insanely overwhelmed by all the new options. It took me like 20 minutes last night to figure out what a province was vs a state and I'm still not sure why certain areas are provinces by default and I have core them again. Although coring went way faster than I remember but that could be a Muslim thing.

every province is now grouped together with a small, fixed set of other provinces - a 'state'. you can fully incorporate a small number of states into your country - whatever states start out in your country generally start up included in this way. if a state isn't included in this way, it's a "territory", and you can only get "territorial cores" on provinces in that state, which cost half as much but mean autonomy can never drop below 75%. when you turn a territorial state into a full state, you can instantly transform your territorial cores into normal cores at a 50% discount. however, you have to pay maintenance on full states (scaling linearly with development), which in practice seems to make everyone really poor this patch.

i suspect the confusing thing in yr post is that some provinces that you conquer will start out as part of territorial states, and some will be part of full states - if you conquer a province that belongs to a state you've already included as a full state in your country, you don't have to first get a territorial core on it and then upgrade it, you just go straight to the full core.

there's a "states" mapmode that helps with all this, somewhat.

i was gonna take some screenshots to help but eu4 is currently locking up on launch ):

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

every province is now grouped together with a small, fixed set of other provinces - a 'state'. you can fully incorporate a small number of states into your country - whatever states start out in your country generally start up included in this way. if a state isn't included in this way, it's a "territory", and you can only get "territorial cores" on provinces in that state, which cost half as much but mean autonomy can never drop below 75%. when you turn a territorial state into a full state, you can instantly transform your territorial cores into normal cores at a 50% discount. however, you have to pay maintenance on full states (scaling linearly with development), which in practice seems to make everyone really poor this patch.

i suspect the confusing thing in yr post is that some provinces that you conquer will start out as part of territorial states, and some will be part of full states - if you conquer a province that belongs to a state you've already included as a full state in your country, you don't have to first get a territorial core on it and then upgrade it, you just go straight to the full core.

i was gonna take some screenshots to help but eu4 is currently locking up on launch ):

:staredog:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

yeah its pretty fukken retarded

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
This is our punishment for asking for things to do during peace

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

it sounds worse than it is, mostly because "states" (groups of provinces), "states" (states that aren't territories) and "estates" all exist. though i guess you don't have cossacks so you don't have to worry about that last one

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kersch posted:

This is our punishment for asking for things to do during peace

I like the calmness of peace time, just watching your coffers grow as the years tick by in the blink of an eye

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Yolomancer posted:

Stellaris is giving me serious Civ 5 vibes and anybody who pre-orders that poo poo is a goddamn mook

I don't care

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

In Training posted:

I like the calmness of peace time, just watching your coffers grow as the years tick by in the blink of an eye

i'm always on the verge of financial crisis and this is after realizing trade dispute cbs aren't useless like the repay debt ones in v2

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PleasingFungus posted:

Don't worry though guys the system where is your capital connected to the province? Y/N? Was simply too easy to understand to live I guess. IMO they should have made it so any country smaller than 150 development blocking you from your territory didn't count or something so vassal blocking would be extremely impractical.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I finally finished watching the full 13 episodes of the Stellaris gameplay stream. I did skip through a lot of it but what was there seems like an interesting combo of Paradox mapgame and 4x and I look forward to playing it

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yolomancer posted:

It's weird that you can post something so wrong.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Don't worry though guys the system where is your capital connected to the province? Y/N? Was simply too easy to understand to live I guess.

that isn't how that system worked either, lol

GreyPowerVan posted:

It's weird that you can post something so wrong.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

I met him in DC 5 years ago, he is All Right with me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jackie D posted:

I'm going to pre-order Stellaris

did you ever actually play the game your av is from

fuckin rulers of nations

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also holy poo poo it's amazing how much worse hoi3 is than hoi2 was

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PleasingFungus posted:

Well, yeah, connected to capital or within 300? colonial range. And you can only core exclaves if a vassal controls the blocking territory or it's within your colonial range. They should have just nerfed the insanely cheap cores magically becoming 0% autonomy once you annex a vassal, instead of adding this retarded system. The part where you do a cheap, lovely core and then core it again is cool but the rest of it is like, why are we bothering to define states or not.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

stellris looks cool butt he games threads a dumpster fire. shockng

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have +200 relationship with the Mamluks and have been allied for 10+ years but they won't join any of my wars because they're too far but suddenly they're allies to Tlemcen and will join them in war at the drop of a hat. The gently caress.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

In Training posted:

I have +200 relationship with the Mamluks and have been allied for 10+ years but they won't join any of my wars because they're too far but suddenly they're allies to Tlemcen and will join them in war at the drop of a hat. The gently caress.

You got played.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Diplomacy rules don't apply to the AI because reasons

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

In Training posted:

defensive or offensive wars?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

defensive or offensive wars?

defensive. So I changed tack and have done nothing but insult Tlemcen and piss them off and make them bite first. Sitting at -200 with border tension , it's a matter of time...

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

In Training posted:

defensive. So I changed tack and have done nothing but insult Tlemcen and piss them off and make them bite first. Sitting at -200 with border tension , it's a matter of time...

yeah the ai has a huge bonus to accepting defensive calls to arms, you can see it in the war dec window. they'll do the same for you, unless they're totally buried under debt & war exhaustion.

i wouldn't count on tlemclen declaring war on you, anyway. pro tech: get into another war alongside the mamluks, and then declare on tlemclen - they can't be at war with you at the same time they're at war with someone else. alternately, declare war on one of tlemclen's allies (and don't mark tlemclen as a primary war partner) - you can separate peace tlemclen out and annul their treaties with the mamluks, and then start another war with them as soon as the truce elapses.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, rather, they can't be at war with one of their current war allies. Make sure you're the war leader so you can artificially drag it on long enough to beat Tlemcen... The AI has a nasty habit of peacing out, accepting a late defensive call, and then ripping in to your unguarded flank

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Well, rather, they can't be at war with one of their current war allies. Make sure you're the war leader so you can artificially drag it on long enough to beat Tlemcen... The AI has a nasty habit of peacing out, accepting a late defensive call, and then ripping in to your unguarded flank

The AI. Interesting name for a man LMFAO

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training posted:

Lmfao.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'm gonna get a mouse and see how well my laptop can run eu4...let's do this, mapbros.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I'm gonna get a mouse and see how well my laptop can run eu4...let's do this, mapbros.

its still epic. i have 16 dollars in my steam wallet from refunding stardew valley. whats the best dlc

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training posted:

its still epic. i have 16 dollars in my steam wallet from refunding stardew valley. whats the best dlc

Art of war was the best last time I played.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

theres some flat map no water mods to boost performance for you though they disable ironman if you use em. i dont kno if theyv been kept up to date though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

theres some flat map no water mods to boost performance for you though they disable ironman if you use em

I did some low texture modding so i could play CKII in my college classes on a lovely laptop

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

theres some flat map no water mods to boost performance for you though they disable ironman if you use em. i dont kno if theyv been kept up to date though

I'm an Ironman only gamer so this is not an option.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

In Training posted:

Lmfao.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

i believe in stellaris however i have never read the games thread

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DICKHEAD posted:

i believe in stellaris however i have never read the games thread

The dev diaries look promising, the people in Games talking about it make me very afraid. Same with HoI.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

games doesn't really care about hoi4 all that much which gives me hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

games doesn't really care about hoi4 all that much which gives me hope

Lol