Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is it useful in pvp or too slow/easily parried?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

double nine posted:

What are people's opinions on the scythe? as fun as DS1?

I two handed it throughout the game, never felt at a disadvantage. Reacts very well to a sharpening infusion. I never figured out how to make its weapon art work though, always seemed to do less than just a basic strong attack.

e; it also kicks rear end in pvp, gotta love that range

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 22, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Insurrectionist posted:

gently caress that poo poo, I'm tired of having to use a costly item like Dried Finger all the time if I want to get invaded at all when I play solo. Seriously all the bitching about this seems to be from invader perspective but as someone who loves to get invaded while solo and have been invaded a grand total of twice so far it's pretty loving sad. Sure once I finish the game I'll have plenty of souls for Embers + Fingers to get invaded as much as I like, but my favorite part of DS1/2 was genuinely being invaded in low-level areas when both of us have very limited options at our disposal, and there's no way to afford that kinda expenditure to stay invade-able until you're quite a way through the game. It sucks poo poo.

I wish that when I used the dried finger it actually let me summon an extra phantom. Instead the signs never appear, they all fail, or the signs appear but are greyed out so you can't actually summon them.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hackan Slash posted:

What's the best strength strike type weapon? Great club? Mostly want it for PvE. How effective is strike damage on player characters in heavy armor?

Dark Sword is the best.

Hits like a greatsword but is a 1 hander small thing.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Insurrectionist posted:

gently caress that poo poo, I'm tired of having to use a costly item like Dried Finger all the time if I want to get invaded at all when I play solo. Seriously all the bitching about this seems to be from invader perspective but as someone who loves to get invaded while solo and have been invaded a grand total of twice so far it's pretty loving sad. Sure once I finish the game I'll have plenty of souls for Embers + Fingers to get invaded as much as I like, but my favorite part of DS1/2 was genuinely being invaded in low-level areas when both of us have very limited options at our disposal, and there's no way to afford that kinda expenditure to stay invade-able until you're quite a way through the game. It sucks poo poo.

Uhhh dried finger is reusable? Plus if you alternate between invading, being invaded and co-opin you should have plenty of embers.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

voltron lion force posted:

Uhhh dried finger is reusable?

Oh, I didn't notice that, makes it a ton better then. Although I still don't see why it wouldn't just be free then...

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Getting two-shotted against Dancer sucks (one-shotted if it's the grab.)

Came really close to beating her with a Sunbro but it seems like I can never get far away enough to shoot pyro even close to safely when she attacks. Some of the bosses in this game have a penchant to ride your rear end like a bike the whole fight, and it's really horrid for magic-heavy characters.

I feel like I may have run up against the useful limitations of my build: I'm dying horribly to everything in Irythill, can't really scratch the Old Demon King, and the Dancer is a crapshoot.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Insurrectionist posted:

Oh, I didn't notice that, makes it a ton better then. Although I still don't see why it wouldn't just be free then...

Same reason White Soapstone isn't free, so you don't have to buy it if you're not interested in what it does

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Vintersorg posted:

Dark Sword is the best.

Hits like a greatsword but is a 1 hander small thing.

Right, but it's standard, not strike. I'm specifically looking for that damage type.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Insurrectionist posted:

but my favorite part of DS1/2 was genuinely being invaded in low-level areas when both of us have very limited options at our disposal, and there's no way to afford that kinda expenditure to stay invade-able until you're quite a way through the game. It sucks poo poo.

Does the Dried Finger do anything if you're not embered? There's an icon but I've never been invaded in that state.

Invasions are great until the playerbase get overrun by minmaxing dipshits and cheaters. There's not that many of them in the grand scheme of things but they ruin the fun for everybody else.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

Then YOU should be the one invading.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Anybody had a crash while raising the banner after vordt? I made it through fine on my first character but now whenever I try to raise the banner I get an immediate CTD.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Monomythian posted:

Then YOU should be the one invading.

Those fights are all 1v3 though

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Something ain't right with password matchmaking, spent what felt like an hour and a half trying to transfer items around, bosses alive, making busted, sometimes no appearance of signs, last attempt was Halfway Fartress where there weren't even any messages or bloodsplats, just me trying to find the sign of my mule-buddy. Nothing appeared. And then an invader came despite the matchmaking difficulties.

Andrast posted:

Those fights are all 1v3 though

1v3? You lucky bastard, what's your SL, which zones?

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 22, 2016

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

It seems to be pretty easy to just be silly as hell with sorceries in this, as far as fighting bosses goes, especially if you've got the Storyteller's Staff.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hackan Slash posted:

Right, but it's standard, not strike. I'm specifically looking for that damage type.

Executioner's Sword is pretty good and does strike.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

MrLonghair posted:

1v3? You lucky bastard, what's your SL, which zones?

I'm...early 60s in Irithyll, Yorshka Church bonfire and whenever I get summoned into a fight club scenario its two invaders, a mad spirit and two or three bros. Happens about 50% of the time.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
For years I've been confounded by the methodology by which the majority of message-scripters craft their messages. And by "majority" I mean the ones that don't just enter "tongue but hole" "magnificent chest" and "gorgeous view" all over everything.

OK, maybe I'm not talking about the literal "majority." What I'm talking about is players that leave messages like "Illusion ahead, in short try attacking" or "mob enemy ahead therefore time for dashing through." There are perfectly good conjunctions that would make more sense. Notably a simple comma. It's there, right at the bottom, and the conjunction list doesn't even scroll in short try brevity.

And then there's the "Visions of" type messenger. This is inscrutable to me...and it has been going on for several games now. Of course, there are times when these convoluted messages are left to be humorous, but other times I just can't figure out why people would go through such great lengths to make these messages so convoluted.

Could these be messages that are translated from Japanese when left by Japanese players? That would be interesting. Somehow I just think it's just laziness. I take pride in crafting a humorous and/or helpful but well-constructed message. Using the gestures has made this all the more interesting.

I think I might start writing down the messages I read, at least the really poorly constructed ones, for some quantitative analysis. But really I'd just like it if people would visions of ambush left, therefore time for plunging attack!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

For years I've been confounded by the methodology by which the majority of message-scripters craft their messages. And by "majority" I mean the ones that don't just enter "tongue but hole" "magnificent chest" and "gorgeous view" all over everything.

OK, maybe I'm not talking about the literal "majority." What I'm talking about is players that leave messages like "Illusion ahead, in short try attacking" or "mob enemy ahead therefore time for dashing through." There are perfectly good conjunctions that would make more sense. Notably a simple comma. It's there, right at the bottom, and the conjunction list doesn't even scroll in short try brevity.

And then there's the "Visions of" type messenger. This is inscrutable to me...and it has been going on for several games now. Of course, there are times when these convoluted messages are left to be humorous, but other times I just can't figure out why people would go through such great lengths to make these messages so convoluted.

Could these be messages that are translated from Japanese when left by Japanese players? That would be interesting. Somehow I just think it's just laziness. I take pride in crafting a humorous and/or helpful but well-constructed message. Using the gestures has made this all the more interesting.

I think I might start writing down the messages I read, at least the really poorly constructed ones, for some quantitative analysis. But really I'd just like it if people would visions of ambush left, therefore time for plunging attack!

Maybe you should draft a memo on proper Dark Souls messaging etiquette.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

The answer is that you're thinking way harder about this than the people who leave the messages do

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

"visions of" is basically just "makes you think"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

I've told this story before but in Dark Souls 2, at Drangleic Castle, I encountered a message stating "labyrinth ahead" in front of a closed door. I spent a couple minutes preparing spells, healing up, putting better armor on, figuring it'd be rough. Finally, all buffed up, I open the door and walk in. It was a small, empty room, except for another message.

"Horse but hole"

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
What's a fun setup for low level invading? I did a dex build on my last playthrough so I figured I'd make a deprived and tweak stats as I go.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Tracula posted:

I do kind of love the lore behind them even if they annoy me. That the church literally sent them out to lead/teach the unwashed masses. Since we all know that religion turns out so well in the Souls universe :v:

Ugh, that is pretty good, but I still hate them.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

I have seen some very good messages, though. My favourite so far was "No illusory wall ahead. All the more, let there be attacking."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jade Mage posted:

Ugh, that is pretty good, but I still hate them.

Speaking of which, the Archdeacon set mentions that they are the robes of the highest rank in the Way of White, so whoever was saying earlier that the Cathedral of the Deep used to be the Way of White then started worshiping Aldrich instead and killed the dissenters got it in one.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
My favorite message was "Time for rolling" in front of the sorcery trainer's scroll collection.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

yeah that's cool and whatever but in this game you can use the word finger and i saw a message that said "try longfinger but hole" and it made me laugh

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

In short, but hole

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I miss Amazing Chest Ahead

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's also a crime that you can't construct "but ahead"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Use Sticky White Stuff.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Solomonic posted:

What's a fun setup for low level invading? I did a dex build on my last playthrough so I figured I'd make a deprived and tweak stats as I go.

Deprived SL15, 24 Strength, Meat Cleaver +2, Grass Crest shield on the back, Cholo auntie ring, Knight Slayer ring, whatever other rings. Nicely paired with Kirk's armour. I've invaded in the freaking Catacombs with that one (and won a bunch, fewer summon signs, more lonely hosts, better)

You can also tweak attributes around and go full on Kirks with his sword, Claw or Warden Twinblades, focusing on making people bleed to death rapidly, pouring points into health and stamina. My SL25 full kirks is a treat to play.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

cheetah7071 posted:

Try holding with two hands

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

my favorite message starter was "cute foe" but it is only in Demon's Souls I think

e: leading to somebody putting "beware, cute foe ahead" in front of Boldwin

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
One of my most voted messages was something like "chest ahead, therefore No attacking ahead"

I'm proud of it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

voltcatfish posted:

my favorite message starter was "cute foe" but it is only in Demon's Souls I think

My favorite non-returning Demon's Souls preset has always been "This is no time to be reading messages!!"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I really wanted to leave a "No soup for you" message in front of the soup pots, but the closest I could come up with was "No soup ahead, you" with pointing upwards gesture as a half-assed nazi salute.

I don't think many people got the joke. :smith: (Maybe too old a reference for some kids)

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Try holding with two hands

Tight spot ahead, try thrust

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
So is anyone else having technical problems on PS4? I usually assume those posts are from PC users, but I've had massive slow-down (it was completely frozen for a full second) during the dancer fight twice in a row now. And the second time, it caused my game to actually crash.

My PS4 has also been acting a little strange lately though, so i'm worried my PS4 might be trying to spite me by failing on me just a few months too early for the PS4k.

Oh, and another weird thing is that it says I'm on version 1.03, while the latest version is 1.4? But if I do "check for updates" it says I'm up to date?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

voltcatfish posted:

e: leading to somebody putting "beware, cute foe ahead" in front of Boldwin

Demon's Souls also had "True Love ahead" I think

Demon's Souls messages were good