Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Cyberventurer posted:

It's probably cowardly of me to black crystal out of an invasion, but the guy I got must be around level 20 and somehow had the Dragonslayer's Swordspear and as soon as he hit an enemy with it, 3 blue sentinels tried to appear to defend him along with the white phantom that was already there.

I don't know if he's hacking to do that bluecop thing, but I didn't want to stick around to see if he added any other unorthodox special effects to his weapon. :stare:

that is entirely possible but p hard solo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
http://plays.tv/video/571a92f7cc043272de/the-bridge-troll-continues

Sniper

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

A guy with a lightning weapon as early as the Road of Sacrifices really hosed me up

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Zaphod42 posted:

Gotta ask though, the art for your avatar looks kinda familiar, is it from Kill Six Billion Demons?

It is from Ava's Demon, an excellent comic with a glacial update schedule.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

the ending boss was pretty fun and a good example of phase changes done in an interesting way, until he does his second health bar and just goes banzai, that was stupid. but prior to that, i thought it was cool how they tried to implement all of the different play styles into an encounter.

also, for the ending, i figured out like 75% of the usurpation ending on my own before finding the rest of it on fextralife, so by that point i figured what the hell, might as well do that. i hit all the steps, got married, etc. and of course the guiding NPC at the end of the process is like "when the time comes you'll know what to do". when i had finished the final boss, my options were to "link the fire" or "summon the fire keeper" with no real third option to take the fire for my own hollowed rear end. i summoned the fire keeper because that was the obvious not-linking-the-fire, but of course that got me a different ending. what am i supposed to do to get the usurpation ending? i take it i shouldn't have given the firekeeper the eyes from the bizarro firelink shrine in the untended graves nor summoned her after the final boss, but what was i supposed to click on to actually get the hollow ending? was i supposed to just walk out of the arena?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
^For whatever reason the fire still says "Link the Fire" to pick the third ending. A different cutscene plays though.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

homeless poster posted:

the ending boss was pretty fun and a good example of phase changes done in an interesting way, until he does his second health bar and just goes banzai, that was stupid. but prior to that, i thought it was cool how they tried to implement all of the different play styles into an encounter.

also, for the ending, i figured out like 75% of the usurpation ending on my own before finding the rest of it on fextralife, so by that point i figured what the hell, might as well do that. i hit all the steps, got married, etc. and of course the guiding NPC at the end of the process is like "when the time comes you'll know what to do". when i had finished the final boss, my options were to "link the fire" or "summon the fire keeper" with no real third option to take the fire for my own hollowed rear end. i summoned the fire keeper because that was the obvious not-linking-the-fire, but of course that got me a different ending. what am i supposed to do to get the usurpation ending? i take it i shouldn't have given the firekeeper the eyes from the bizarro firelink shrine in the untended graves nor summoned her after the final boss, but what was i supposed to click on to actually get the hollow ending? was i supposed to just walk out of the arena?

You were supposed to use the link the fire prompt. This labelling is unforgivably dumb. Summoning the Fire Keeper is a more satisfying ending though, imo, so it worked out in your favour.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

turtlecrunch posted:

^For whatever reason the fire still says "Link the Fire" to pick the third ending. A different cutscene plays though.

this fuckin' game. NPC quest triggers will break if you breath too quickly while thinking about an NPC, and when you do try to set all the pins up, the best instruction you get is "you'll know what to do". no yuria of londor, i am clearly too dumb to know what to do. if you don't spell it out for me, i will assume that what is literally written on the button prompt (link the fire) is what will actually happen, because that is true for every other scripted interaction in the game.

edit: it'd be like if there was a button prompt in front of a closed door that said (A: open door) and when you clicked on it instead of opening the door, your character warped to the beginning of the level and their current health was set to 1 and your estus flask count was set to 0 and all of your bonfires were reset to locked.

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 22, 2016

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

someone tell me, is my super secret strat of 'hit with greatsword' considered good?

i mean it works and i'm winning but i'm curious of the general perception of the sword

also, just got to irithyl(?) dungeon place is way too loving creepy, also gently caress those weird giant spider dogs that fall from ceilings in anal rodeo revisited and the deep chapel, also far too creepy

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My best all time message continues to be something I wrote randomly in japanese without any idea what I was writing in Firelink on day one of the JP release. I can't figure out where in the hell I put it though, but it's got 89 good ratings and 2 bad ones.

"Visions of luring it out"

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

"Princess ahead but be weary of trap" in a certain zone that's a throwback has gotten me lots of upvotes.

My "Moon ahead, therefore Praise the trap!" message saved my life during the Aldritch fight, and I find that rather fitting.

I'm a sucker for messages, and rate nearly every one I see. I also like to leave cheeky ones whenever DS references itself, but none of them have garnered nearly as much attention as "could this be a hole?, Praise the thrust!" in front of a corpse bent over a railing. DS players are weird.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Melanion posted:

It is from Ava's Demon, an excellent comic with a glacial update schedule.

Sweet, I'll take all the cool art demon-comics I can get. Added to my list of 'webcomics to check in on every once in a blue moon'

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
My highest-rated message is "If only I had a woman" after loincloth butcher lady on the Road of Sacrifices

Second highest rated is "Huh. It's a crab" facing the Giant Enemy Crab from the bonfire just down the road.

Yeah, imaginative or what.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

turtlecrunch posted:

Someone asked earlier yesterday for a sort of lore/background summary on the first two games and how it might feed into this game. I wrote a summary like this a couple months ago, but I wanted to try and rewrite it now to blow off the last few hours of Friday afternoon at work.

Here you go guy, I tried: http://pastebin.com/c4xMiwmq (it's spoiler-town)

Also don't bully me about my attempted spoiler tag and the way I tried to denote long quotes in the text ok.

One comment, I don't know that the End of the Fire ending leads to an Age of Dark. Dark is attributed to the disparity brought on by the flame. The firekeeper also goes out of her way to describe the coming dark as being "different to what is seen when stripped of vision." It's a metaphysical dark, so maybe she's just saying "you won't like bump into every table ever," but it's possible that the reason Kaathe changed its mind about just letting the fire die is because they realized no flame means no disparity means no darkness.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

also, i'm loving the references in this, especially the throwback areas, finding demon ruins and poor quelaan :( dead in the wall along with the corpses of fucktonnes of capras/taurus demons - then anor londo just so cool

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

TGLT posted:

One comment, I don't know that the End of the Fire ending leads to an Age of Dark. Dark is attributed to the disparity brought on by the flame. The firekeeper also goes out of her way to describe the coming dark as being "different to what is seen when stripped of vision." It's a metaphysical dark, so maybe she's just saying "you won't like bump into every table ever," but it's possible that the reason Kaathe changed its mind about just letting the fire die is because they realized no flame means no disparity means no darkness.

Most concepts in Souls are like that, having both a physical and a metaphoric form. She does say it's different to what is seen when stripped of vision (i.e. a pure sort of darkness), because in the same phrase she goes on to mention those tiny flames in the distance. And I think that's a good conclusion, that Kaathe realized there is no true Age of Dark without also having Fire, and the matter would just go on and on forever.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Balobam posted:

anal rodeo revisited

:stare:

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Mr Dog posted:

Second highest rated is "Huh. It's a crab" facing the Giant Enemy Crab from the bonfire just down the road.

My "Be wary of pincer attack" message in the same spot got 0
:mad:

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:

Mr Dog posted:

My highest-rated message is "If only I had a woman" after loincloth butcher lady on the Road of Sacrifices

Yeah, imaginative or what.

Highest rated message I've seen is "illusionary wall ahead" on a solid wall with no illusion, had 1700 or something.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
are there spiders in this game?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Liu posted:

not a single one

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Victory! Immediately following Wolnir

3716 up votes :wtc:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Man, you can't roll through the dancer's grab attack? You just have to actually be physically far away from her when she does it?

Probably died to it at least 10 times now.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Liu posted:

There's a shield with a cute spider on it

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Liu posted:

There's human centipedes and beardoglegspiders. If you know the inside-out werewolves from Bloodborne the latter kind of look like that, but fuzzier and with an oni face.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Help Im Alive posted:

There's a shield with a cute spider on it

It's useless though

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I want to make a new character named Prince and go around doing purplebro invasions this weekend.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

pmchem posted:

I want to make a new character named Prince and go around doing purplebro invasions this weekend.

ohhhhh noooooooo :smith:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

For years I've been confounded by the methodology by which the majority of message-scripters craft their messages. And by "majority" I mean the ones that don't just enter "tongue but hole" "magnificent chest" and "gorgeous view" all over everything.

OK, maybe I'm not talking about the literal "majority." What I'm talking about is players that leave messages like "Illusion ahead, in short try attacking" or "mob enemy ahead therefore time for dashing through." There are perfectly good conjunctions that would make more sense. Notably a simple comma. It's there, right at the bottom, and the conjunction list doesn't even scroll in short try brevity.

And then there's the "Visions of" type messenger. This is inscrutable to me...and it has been going on for several games now. Of course, there are times when these convoluted messages are left to be humorous, but other times I just can't figure out why people would go through such great lengths to make these messages so convoluted.

Could these be messages that are translated from Japanese when left by Japanese players? That would be interesting. Somehow I just think it's just laziness. I take pride in crafting a humorous and/or helpful but well-constructed message. Using the gestures has made this all the more interesting.

I think I might start writing down the messages I read, at least the really poorly constructed ones, for some quantitative analysis. But really I'd just like it if people would visions of ambush left, therefore time for plunging attack!

hey retard di you ever think ur an idiot and that the messaging system is designed so literally any language can use it and read other messages you FREAKIN NOOB

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

oopsie, take it you haven't been there?

where are you?

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

hey retard di you ever think ur an idiot and that the messaging system is designed so literally any language can use it and read other messages you FREAKIN NOOB

this literally never occurred to me but makes so much sense

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bass Bottles posted:

Man, you can't roll through the dancer's grab attack? You just have to actually be physically far away from her when she does it?

That's how most grab attacks with most souls bosses have worked, which is why grab attacks are so nasty. Hell, in fighting games the whole point of grabs is they go through blocks :cheeky:

In DS2 it was the worst because even if you got physically far away from it, it'd still grab you. The hitboxes on grabs were really huge and hosed up and could teleport you 20 feet. In DS3 at least it feels way more fair, if you got hit you got hit, if you didn't you didn't, but yeah, you just need to GTFO if you see or sense a grab coming.

Liu posted:

There's a big nasty spider thingy in Anor Londo

voltcatfish posted:

not a single one

Untrue, there is a single one. I think just the one though. Or was there another of those guys... I think it was a different guy but I can't remember.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

ohhhhh noooooooo :smith:

I'm not even kidding; what armor items would be best for this? Starter class gear preferred where possible. You can always just emote and dance with the people in the game -- mad invader, and all.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Bass Bottles posted:

her grab is pretty janky and it seems like the hitbox for it is much larger than her animation would indicate. i could never avoid it by rolling towards her or to her side because she steps forward and grabs in an arc when she does the grab. the only way i could avoid it was to roll backwards 2x as soon as you see her start to do kind of a snake slither dance move. it's the only tell i recognized that the grab was coming; she also doesn't do anything with her sword arm when she goes for the grab.

it's basically a one-hit kill "try the fight again :downs:" move unless you've been stacking health like crazy and you're embered and you're also at full health when she grabs you. if you have a phantom with you and they get grabbed you're pretty much guaranteed that they are dead.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Balobam posted:

oopsie, take it you haven't been there?

where are you?

No I've been there I was just reacting to the autocorrect or whatever the hell happened there

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

pmchem posted:

I'm not even kidding; what armor items would be best for this? Starter class gear preferred where possible. You can always just emote and dance with the people in the game -- mad invader, and all.

Best armor for prince?

Well, shirtless, clearly. With a ridiculous haircut.
And make sure you get the hairy chest.

Feels like he should use a rapier or an estoc, maybe the acid (rain) pyromancy.

Oh god I've thought about this too much.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
A pair of my friends were streaming the game, and one of them had to take a piss break and gave the controller over to someone who's not familiar with everyone's favorite treasure chest monster....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f16UMq1p2U

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

NTT posted:

It's useless though

I'm always using my weapon two handed so I like having the cute spider on my back

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im going to go home and play this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How do blue cops work? Do you get summoned in the area you are in or can you appear anywhere as long as you are within the soul level?

And what's a good sweet spot for stamina?