Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Propagandist posted:

That said, there are a few really good reasons to get into scenarios. Once you get a build sorted out (feel free to send me a /tell in-game as Dresner) and you gear up to snuff, they are a good source of runes, MoPs, and augments (including gold augs). However, I consider them a very, very late-game piece of content. There are much better ways to accumulate BB and signets.

I'll probably come back to them after I blow through issues nine through fourteen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
For the first day or so when they were dropping orange augments like candy (and people were buying the useless ones for 150m pax), Group Elite was totally worth it! We got a lot of signets out of that deal.

I recommend Blades/Chaos. I had a pretty thorough ability + gear build that could solo Group Elite and do the Solo Nightmare achievements, but it's on the dead forum. There's a signet that has a chance to proc a leech effect when you get healed- get the purple version, and use a passive that heals you. Every... 20 seconds? The leech effect will activate and you'll shoot up to full health because you're always doing AOE damage. The rest of it's about aggroing every spawn of every wave and running away from the civilians.

But also they're terrible and don't do them.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
On the subject of pax I have like 800k after finishing Solomon Island and nothing obvious to spend it on apart from the purple run speed boost. Will I actually need it for anything later or should I just save up a bit more then blow a million pax on running a bit faster?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zephro posted:

On the subject of pax I have like 800k after finishing Solomon Island and nothing obvious to spend it on apart from the purple run speed boost. Will I actually need it for anything later or should I just save up a bit more then blow a million pax on running a bit faster?

Running, clothes and the AH

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I'm "helping" a couple of friends through Solomon Island at the moment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNazKa81Kug
:v:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Just making some quick assumptions as I come back.

- Issue 8 just adds the scenarios/augments, and is useless if I don't plan on doing dungeons/raiding right?

- Issue 12 just adds a raid right? I assume I'm never going to see that since the goon guild is dead/pubbies are probably terrible, so there isn't much reason to buy that either. Right?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Rookersh posted:

Just making some quick assumptions as I come back.

- Issue 8 just adds the scenarios/augments, and is useless if I don't plan on doing dungeons/raiding right?

- Issue 12 just adds a raid right? I assume I'm never going to see that since the goon guild is dead/pubbies are probably terrible, so there isn't much reason to buy that either. Right?
I think you still get augments without issue 8? I've had stuff drop that I think is for them and it didn't have "you can't use this you manky scrub" written on it at least. Issue 12 adds a couple of 5 man dungeons as well, I believe but I don't have that either yet.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Pilchenstein posted:

I think you still get augments without issue 8? I've had stuff drop that I think is for them and it didn't have "you can't use this you manky scrub" written on it at least. Issue 12 adds a couple of 5 man dungeons as well, I believe but I don't have that either yet.

You can buy/sell/trade augments freely, but they do only come from Scenarios. The augments you're getting are probably AEGIS stuff. Either way you can definitely skip Issue 8.

Rookersh posted:

Buying it adds the Tokyo dungeon. The raids had already been in-game, one as a summer event (modified for 10 players instead of 40) and another requiring a lot of Lair pieces (now free on a timer).

I haven't done the Tokyo dungeon so I dunno whether it's up to par with the rest. It has AEGIS, so it's got that going against it.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Cheston posted:

You can buy/sell/trade augments freely, but they do only come from Scenarios. The augments you're getting are probably AEGIS stuff. Either way you can definitely skip Issue 8.

Also worth noting, you can do the hotel scenario without owning Issue 8. You only need it to do the Mansion or Castle scenarios. Almost no one likes scenarios enough to do more than one a day so even without it you're probably fine anyway. You'll just get really sick of the hotel.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

General Maximus posted:

Almost no one likes scenarios enough to do more than one a year

Yeah that seems about right

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Have they released more yet? Or even made mention of releasing more? Or is coding too hard? My interest in the game basically tanked when that issue launched.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Len posted:

Have they released more yet? Or even made mention of releasing more? Or is coding too hard? My interest in the game basically tanked when that issue launched.

Release more what? What was the last issue you played?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Exmond posted:

Release more what? What was the last issue you played?

More scenarios because those were supposed to be the first wave of at least three types of scenarios and in true Funcompetence fashion they released the most boring one (WAVE DEFENSE WOOOO) first.

Then again Plat, I think people quit because everything else was bad, not just scenarios - stuff like half a year of filth corridors "leading up" to Tokyo, endless rehashes of golem events and Joel being a smug rear end in a top hat being the only things they released for a while :)

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I think I did one scenario, then immediately bought the side missions issue from the store to unlock the quest that let you pay 1 million to skip Venice.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Scooby-Doo scenarios had me so loving excited when I heard about them. Screw you Plat for reminding me of my disappointment in Funcom.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Is the end-game bad/lazy then? That'd be a shame. I really liked the quests and atmosphere in Solomon Island and I'm looking forward to Egypt, plus what I hope is more developments in the whole Filth story. Am I just heading for a big helping of disappointment?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Zephro posted:

Is the end-game bad/lazy then? That'd be a shame. I really liked the quests and atmosphere in Solomon Island and I'm looking forward to Egypt, plus what I hope is more developments in the whole Filth story. Am I just heading for a big helping of disappointment?

The solo story content is good all the way through, even the dungeons are worth running once (for the story). After the story, the game turns into a standard MMO dungeon grind for better gear.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Not anymore though, now you just do whatever and still get better gear. Nightmare dungeons and PvP are alright too I just can't bring myself to find groups these days though. So I wouldn't exactly say it's bad just takes more effort than it needs to.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Haven't played TSW in ages, might hop back in now that the bundle's on sale. I definitely enjoyed it, just got burned out on it after a bit, but now might be a good time to give it another go. :)

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

HughGRect posted:

The solo story content is good all the way through, even the dungeons are worth running once (for the story). After the story, the game turns into a standard MMO dungeon grind for better gear.
OK, thanks. There's a Steam sale on for some of the packs - I can get the "ultimate edition" which apparently includes issues up to 11. A couple of questions:

1) I already have a separate, non-Steam install of the basic TSW game. If I buy this, will it register as a separate game? How can I make sure I link it with the account I already have, cos I don't want to start another char?
2) Is there any way to buy all the expansions up the most recent? Or will I have to buy the last few piecemeal?
3) If I have, say, Issue 13 but not Issues 5-12, can I play 13? Or do I need the complete set?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 23, 2016

Piebald Hell
Apr 22, 2008

Zephro posted:

OK, thanks. There's a Steam sale on for some of the packs - I can get the "ultimate edition" which apparently includes issues up to 11. A couple of questions:

1) I already have a separate, non-Steam install of the basic TSW game. If I buy this, will it register as a separate game? How can I make sure I link it with the account I already have, cos I don't want to start another char?
2) Is there any way to buy all the expansions up the most recent? Or will I have to buy the last few piecemeal?
3) If I have, say, Issue 13 but not Issues 5-12, can I play 13? Or do I need the complete set?

1) You have to add the keys to your funcom account manually so, no. Log in on the funcom website and there should be an option to apply the ultimate edition key on the lower left of the page - you may have to scroll down to find the box. You'll have spare base-game TSW keys after you're done too, woop woop.
2) Nothing after 11 has a pack yet, iirc, but I believe they're on sale?
3) I'm pretty sure they mostly stand alone but I am not completely certain.

By the by if anyone wants to add "Rathelas" I am discovering group play in this game is ridiculously fun.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I'm fairly certain any of the Tokyo packs should give you access to the area but I have no idea how they handle the introductory mission and also the rest of the stuff from the first Tokyo pack that sets you up with AEGIS in the first place. You should find out for science.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I think they just straight up tell you that you need all the previous stuff when you're buying any of the tokyo issues.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

OK, thanks for the info. I'll grab it and see what happens :)

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Pilchenstein posted:

I think they just straight up tell you that you need all the previous stuff when you're buying any of the tokyo issues.

Wouldn't know, I bought Lifetime two days after I picked up the game when it went buy to play and I haven't regretted it. But I would really like to know.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Morglon posted:

Wouldn't know, I bought Lifetime two days after I picked up the game when it went buy to play and I haven't regretted it. But I would really like to know.
Lifetime was too rich for my blood sadly. Anyway, I just checked and issues 12 and 13 don't say anything about needing earlier issues, though 10 & 11 do.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Is the game just silently closing itself if you're afk long enough a feature? It does it consistently but there's never been a crash report or anything when I get back.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Most MMO will log you out when you're afk long enough and going back to the character screen from the game can be iffy.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

So I barreled through issue 9 over the weekend and after a kind soul helped me with Tower Defense the rest was pretty smooth going.

However, I've hit a brick loving wall in the south end of Kaidan which is issue 10 territory. Enemy shields are twice as big and I'm getting wrecked by the packs everywhere - mobs are conning as Devastating or Very Hard instead of Normal and I know that's a clue that I need to up my power level. I've done some research on various Tokyo solo builds and they're all promising but most of them use skills I haven't bought yet. So my question is where is the best bang for my buck in character development - should I be grinding up my AEGIS modules (I've got some at v1.1 and some at v1.0), dumping skill points into AEGIS shielding, or grabbing skills for a Tokyo-specific solo build?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Level the controllers you have, get some high quality capacitors that should take care of it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, I was up to about 1.4 by the end of issue 9 and didn't have any problems.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
My mate finally made it to The Cost of Magic. :suicide: :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pilchenstein posted:

My mate finally made it to The Cost of Magic. :suicide: :v:

I feel like they've improved it since launch. It feels like the platforms last longer and are more forgiving.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
It really does. Still doesn't mean you want to play it with the kind of ping you get from not playing from America. Or at all really.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
It definitely didn't feel as bad as it used to but it was still a good half hour of swearing on mumble. :v:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Well it's easier if you get naked, run past things, die at the ladders if need be and just grab the poo poo. Same for the second part just die where it seems convenient. Third part is a bitch, not really much you can do there and the fourth is trivial.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Watching Kessel experience The Cost of Magic for the first time was an amazing experience I'll never forget, largely because I couldn't stop laughing at how many times he got killed :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mercurius posted:

Watching Kessel experience The Cost of Magic for the first time was an amazing experience I'll never forget, largely because I couldn't stop laughing at how many times he got killed :v:

It too me something like a combined six hours to do it the first time. I also threw an already broken mouse and actually restored the function of the broken button so there's that.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
For me the hardest part was trying to figure out where to go on the scaffolding for the first time, while being way too weak to deal with the mines and nightmare mobs whenever I hosed up and failed at "stealth". The poison lake was easy as I was already a veteran of corpse running from other MMOs so this seemed natural, and I never had any issues with the jumping part despite of my glorious European ping. The traps were just about having two eyes so I never understood why people hated this mission so much :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
The clicky-jumpy portion of cost of magic was one of the only times I had to use keyboard and mouse over a controller.

• Locked thread