Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its hard to be afraid of the centipede ladies when they are such pathetic enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Message chat was a while back thread moves to fast.

I put down "Visions of Hole" outside of Greatwood's doorway and I get probably 3-5 positive ratings on that thing every time I log on.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BobTheJanitor posted:

Normally stuff like that creeps me out, but those enemies are just so over the top that it kind of wraps around to being hilarious. Like hello I'm a spider centipede demon with 10,000 legs and no face and evil hair and I scream when you stab me and... I don't know, there's a limit to horror where it just becomes comedy. I mean, if I found one under my bed I'd probably scream and need a change of pants, but that's a different story.

They'd be more frightening if I couldn't just hold up a shield and then whack them three times to kill them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can you parry the final boss. Every time I try I get mulched.

Also this final boss is easily the best in the series goddamn.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Internet Kraken posted:

Its hard to be afraid of the centipede ladies when they are such pathetic enemies.

i was scared of them loving me up during my first few encounters with them until i realized they never actually managed to damage me once

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

so i'm in ng+ i killed holy knight guy invasion the tower in undead settlement got a big fog wall. why.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can you parry the final boss. Every time I try I get mulched.

Also this final boss is easily the best in the series goddamn.

You cannot parry the final boss.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7DmFUU1Ino

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I'm glad that weapons arts dont devour weapon durability like they did in ds2 :v:

Swordspear rules, if a bit heavy

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Vermain posted:

You cannot parry the final boss.

Aw (Final Boss spoilers) Gwyn's theme kicked in phase 2 and was like "man I know how I want to end this." Cue all my estus going into me wanting to parry

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
on bluecops, you seem to get much more summons when embered. Though I could be wrong and often am

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
So, I can't find a particular npc at church of yorshka, yet i killed a related npc earlier in smouldering lake. She gave me the ring just after the boss fight in the catacombs. What gives?

Also, is summoning NPC's disabled in offline mode? I haven't seen a single summon sign anywhere while embered.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

:magical:

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I'm glad that weapons arts dont devour weapon durability like they did in ds2 :v:

Swordspear rules, if a bit heavy

Yeah, along with vanilla DS2's durability issues it really put a damper on my usage of ~cool moves~ in that game. Also, the Swordspear is the coolest weapon in the game so who cares how much it weighs :getin:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I can't imagine how I could ever manage to kill Nameless King right now. I can stomp the first phase flat without taking any damage but I consistently die in like the first 15-20 seconds after, even after I stopped two handing and switched to a shield with high lightning resist. I think on my best attempt I got like, a tenth of his healthbar off. I feel... beaten.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Just used an ember for the very first time, just to see what it was like to survive the dancer's grab attack. It worked! But then she immediately followed it up with an AOE explosion that killed me instantly. Back to pretending embers don't exist, I guess.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why is there a fog door at the tower that leads to road of sacrifices.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Just got the Twins left but they are a real bitch, only way I can put out enough damage on the backrider is by soulstreaming him when the big guy is down and that kind of blows through my FP and ashen estus fast. Tried summoning dudes twice, they both died in the first phase, rip.

Try try again I guess!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Fuligin posted:

I can't imagine how I could ever manage to kill Nameless King right now. I can stomp the first phase flat without taking any damage but I consistently die in like the first 15-20 seconds after, even after I stopped two handing and switched to a shield with high lightning resist. I think on my best attempt I got like, a tenth of his healthbar off. I feel... beaten.

I was in the same spot, then decided to change tactics and have Andre make me a +10 Dark Sword. Turns out he's not all that hard once you do that.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I finally got my first summons as a blue sentinel and there were two mound makers fighting each other. My dumb rear end killed the wrong one, and the host died right before I finished off the correct one so I didn't get any reward. Crap. :smith:

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Fuligin posted:

if you're not a solo purist, look to summon ONE guy. I let my sunbrow tank while I tossed Gnaw +1 at him, and the bleed proc hit for around 900, which was every other cast, which did 200 or so on their own. Hes deffo a brutal boss though, Feels like a DLC end boss

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it was a load error. carry on.

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

Fuligin posted:

I'm in this same boat. Been rolling my way through every boss besides Champion Gundyr, but not even he gave me as much trouble. He just does a stupid amount of damage such that every time I get hit I need to estus. I've been working on not rolling backwards against him but I keep loving up and it's hella demoralizing because the first phase is easy but takes a while.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Is Fume Ultra Greatsword as OP as it looks on youtube thinking about switching from dex to str for it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Fuligin posted:

I hope this doesn't sound get gud or anything but i was the same. Alot of the attacks are delayed, so when you see do his big rear end wing, wait a second or two, then roll.

That one always throws me off. I did have a shield but he just drains your bar with all that hitting.

It is safe to chug an estus if he does his long lighting stab and then he swings because he waits a second before going crazy again.

Hang tight in there.

He's probably one of the hardest bosses.

Hell I think he's harder than the final boss to me (who is a goddamn good fight too)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Obscuring ring + standing on the other side of the cutty bridge + dropping something just in range of seeing the obscuring ring user = my new fun.

NK is a boss I now understand - it's a hardhitting monster. Rolling and knowing moves. Must have been 50 deaths over all characters to it now, I can reliably get nail it with one summon for drawing attention away. Enjoyable encounter.

e: pro-tip for invaders, buy the cheapest weapon or armour a lots of them, stash away what you won't use or need in the field, and drop loot for players to zoom for

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 23, 2016

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

uh oh pancho! posted:

I'm in this same boat. Been rolling my way through every boss besides Champion Gundyr, but not even he gave me as much trouble. He just does a stupid amount of damage such that every time I get hit I need to estus. I've been working on not rolling backwards against him but I keep loving up and it's hella demoralizing because the first phase is easy but takes a while.

I didn't realize you could do a Bloodborne style visceral attack on the dragon if you beat it in the head a few times, so that speeds things up considerably.

Thanks for the replies all, I know I'll get it eventually, I just need to vent. Even if the first phase is easy I love it a lot, it's probably my favorite dragon fight/moveset in the series.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Shindragon posted:

I hope this doesn't sound get gud or anything but i was the same. Alot of the attacks are delayed, so when you see do his big rear end wing, wait a second or two, then roll.

That one always throws me off. I did have a shield but he just drains your bar with all that hitting.

It is safe to chug an estus if he does his long lighting stab and then he swings because he waits a second before going crazy again.

Hang tight in there.

He's probably one of the hardest bosses.

Hell I think he's harder than the final boss to me (who is a goddamn good fight too)

He's the hardest souls boss, makes Artorias and Fume Knight look like chumps. Although because of that, he was the most fun souls boss yet. It felt kinda bittersweet to finally get him down, like the coyote catching the roadrunner. Oh well there's always NG+

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i'm not really sure my all lightning all the time faith melee build (lightning infusions on weapons that get S faith scaling) is working out well. I can get to like ~550 AR buffed on obidachi for instance but I'm sure I could get just as much on a quality build and not split my damage types either.

not sure.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I generally don't worry too much about how I beat a boss. If I need to summon some dudes to help me curbstomp some fucker, I'll do it and enjoy it. But holy hell, something about CG made me really want to beat him solo. It took me 2 hours and I feel like I made more mistakes on my successful run than on my first, but I did it. And I enjoyed every minute of it.

It doesn't look like his weapon lets me use his moves, which is bullshit.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

So after two failed to connects I finally got a blue summon and the host was already dead.

Still more action for that covenant at SL17 than I've seen over 3 playthroughs.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is Bleed a thing in PVE for the player? As in our weapons, can they inflict it if properly set up?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is the damage from a fire infusion affected by the Fire Clutch Ring or anything else? If not then I'm probably better off infusing with Raw since Fire splits the damage, right?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Tabletops posted:

i'm not really sure my all lightning all the time faith melee build (lightning infusions on weapons that get S faith scaling) is working out well. I can get to like ~550 AR buffed on obidachi for instance but I'm sure I could get just as much on a quality build and not split my damage types either.

not sure.
The Dragonslayer Swordspear makes Faith feel worth it.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Is Bleed a thing in PVE for the player? As in our weapons, can they inflict it if properly set up?

Look at the leftmost number under Additional effects, that's your weapon's bleed build-up. Some weapons have it innately and some you can infuse.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah, you'll see it go off with a big blood splat and sound effect on the enemy, same as if it happens to you. Generally you want a fast weapon to make it work, because it seems like their bar works the same as yours does and will drain if you don't keep applying it constantly.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Nihilarian posted:

The Dragonslayer Swordspear makes Faith feel worth it.

it's cool but It didn't seem super good, i loved the weapon art but my stats were so split (40 faith, 20 dex 20 str 20 end 20 vigor 16 vit 14 attunement) that I don't feel like I can maximize it very well.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Is the damage from a fire infusion affected by the Fire Clutch Ring or anything else? If not then I'm probably better off infusing with Raw since Fire splits the damage, right?

Fire Clutch does boost Fire infusions but unless the enemy is weak to fire, Raw will be doing similar or better damage because split damage seems really awful in this game.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
What's the "Restrict Summon Sign Visibility" thing do, anyway?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

WrightOfWay posted:

Fire Clutch does boost Fire infusions but unless the enemy is weak to fire, Raw will be doing similar or better damage because split damage seems really awful in this game.

We're back in the wacky world of flat damage reduction for elemental damage, something that Dark Souls 2 explicitly removed so that split damage wouldn't be as atrocious. I just don't understand how they made a goddamn bad design decision that was already fixed in the previous game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

e: pro-tip for invaders, buy the cheapest weapon or armour a lots of them, stash away what you won't use or need in the field, and drop loot for players to zoom for

That's the real use for Rubbish, as well as being a stealth insult :ssh: